Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

Word Count Change

Akira Tatsumi
    Akira Tatsumi

Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Rising Star- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Aspect of Neptune
    Position : None
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 0

Character Sheet
    First Skill:
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Word Count Change Empty Word Count Change

Post by Akira Tatsumi 14th October 2014, 5:45 pm

Ok, I am about to address a problem that I have always have, and no, I am not being selfish in suggesting this, because others may also have this problem, and in fact, I guarentee there are some here that do. Why do we have some jobs with rediculous word counts? I have been on plenty of sites to know that 400-500 words a post is just plain overkill. Sure, you guys probably made it this way so that we can build up our RP habits and can in the future just make 1000 words a post or something, and it seems like it would be effective, since these wordcounts are only on high ranking jobs, but to me, it just seems forced.

Some people just genrally don't want to change, and like to stick to smaller posts. I personally do 200-300 word posts, and again, this is not just for me. I know a lot of people that when I thread with them, they like to keep it simple too, and knowing that they have to suffer doing 500 words each post makes me a little irritated. I suggest that maybe we just make a general word count for all jobs, like 200, 250, 300, something like that, and if you are worried about naking high-rank jobs long, just make longer post counts.

I may be whining about having to post a large amount of words, but there are reasons, reasons I don't think should be overlooked.
    ネクロの汚名
    ネクロの汚名

Player 
    Lineage : Shinokishi: Knight of Death
    Experience : 25

Word Count Change Empty Re: Word Count Change

Post by ネクロの汚名 14th October 2014, 6:04 pm

I agree, it would also make grading the jobs easier.......besides.....500 is a big big number......I can barely count up to ten......

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Kaseki
    Kaseki

Demon of life

Demon of life

Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Coming Storms- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Armored Beast
    Guild : Savage Skull / Aelyst Crux (Dragon Fang Co-Founder)
    Mentor : Dregon (Magic), Master Aoi (Weapons), & Edward (Combat)
    Experience : 150

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Cʏʀᴏᴍᴀɴᴄʏ
    Second Skill: Aʀᴛ ᴏғ ᴡᴀʀ
    Third Skill:

Post by Kaseki 14th October 2014, 6:19 pm

A job is a job is a job.

Do the job, get job.

Find easier job?

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Akira Tatsumi
    Akira Tatsumi

Character Sheet
    First Skill:
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Akira Tatsumi 14th October 2014, 6:30 pm

So, just because we can't handle high word counts, we are stuck with D and C rank jobs? I might as well not do any jobs then, because I am B rank, and it would take forever XD.

Akira Tatsumi
    Aayla
    Aayla

Knight of Water

Knight of Water

Moderator- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Dragon Slayer- A-Rank- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Aspect of Pluto
    Guild : Sabertooth
    Cosmic Coins : 15
    Mentor : Hydrianna (Water Dragon), Deniel (Takeover)
    Experience : 8500

Character Sheet
    First Skill: 3rd Generation Water Dragon Slayer
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Aayla 14th October 2014, 6:50 pm

In my oppinion it makes sense. If your character is A-H rank, you should be able to rp very well. You need to have description in what your doing, add presence to your character and make yourself that much more... Why just say

Manayus saw the wolf run by and chased it.

When you can describe the world around you, the effect that you have on that world. I know my description doesn't make much sense... (it does in my mind)  but it's like.... the higher rank you are, the more you should be able to depict.

Word Count Change Fc9659f1-c886-4f01-a734-cae0d61afbaf_zpsh3e1k6vj
    Kusanagi
    Kusanagi

1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : None
    Experience : 37.5

Post by Kusanagi 14th October 2014, 8:27 pm

What Aayla said. This is a game of story telling more or less and your ability to provide description is important. The more descriptive you are, the more you create your surroundings. Yes, keeping things simple is fine, but when it matters overall you should put as much description as possible and leave nothing to chance, otherwise your just going to create an argument that won't be resolved.

Frankly I think the word counts are to low as they are already and 500 words isn't to much. Take time, don't rush and think. There should be no major sense of urgency here or in your regular missions so word counts shouldn't be difficult.

Personally if your having trouble doing word counts in missions do what I do and set a word count on your regular posts. I keep mine relatively loose but I like to do a bare minimum of 300 a post. I also post the total word count under every post I make. In writing, quantity helps quality if your writing the write things. You did a 500 word post on your description of your characters personality so 500 words about where you are and what your doing shouldn't be difficult.

E's Dialogue
    E's Thoughts
    King Zenshin
    King Zenshin

The judge

The judge

Moderator- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- S-Rank- A-Rank- Halloween job event participant - Rich- Veteran Level 6- Veteran Level 5- Veteran Level 4- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 2nd Place Event/Contest Winner- X-Mas Event Participant- Hero- Summer Special Participant- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Guild : N/A
    Cosmic Coins : 25
    Dungeon Tokens : 9
    Experience : 263,160

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Knight of Space
    Second Skill: Paladin's Armaments
    Third Skill:

Post by King Zenshin 14th October 2014, 8:46 pm

This is a tricky subject. Yes word counts can be silly at times, but no I dont think they are too high.

I disagree with Ean, they aren't too low. It's all a matter of a case-by-case sorta deal, though most people think 500 is the limit.

The word counts aren't too high either, I feel like they are a perfect size and should remain at a maximum of 500 for the highest jobs, though with increased post count.

What you can do is suggest that all jobs have some kinda max thread word count instead of a post by post thing, though that could increase the workload of the mods.

tl;dr They are good as they are

Missions Completed
    100 Year: 1
    10 Year: 1
    S-Ranked: 1
    A-Ranked: 4
    B-Ranked: 4
    D-Ranked: 3
    Event Experience: 57,562.5
    Dungeon Experience: 2,325
    Total Experience: 263,160

Character / Vincent Gauss
    Primary Magic / Knight of Space
    Secondary Magic / Paladin's Armaments
    History & Notebook | Bank
    Golden Lacrima | Expires 7/9/2019
    Rosetta Crawford
    Rosetta Crawford

Administrator- Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- Demon Slayer- Legal Guild Ace- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- X-Mas Event Participant- Hero- Villain- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Embodiment of the 13th
    Guild : Blue Pegasus
    Mentor : Sky Emperor Shangdi
    Experience : 367,824.5

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Ten No Kichi
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Rosetta Crawford 15th October 2014, 2:55 am

This has come up before and isn't something that is going to be changed.
    Roleplaying is a matter of story and the more you post the more other people have to post off.

Rather than saying 'I ran forwards aiming to strike at the target from behind' you could say 'I ran forwards aiming to strike the tall target from behind the soft carpet beneath my feet hiding the sound of my approach'

Not only does this give you more words, but it means you have a reason for them not hearing you coming. This is particularly true in PVP.

The other step is rather than just describing what you are doing, describe what your character is thinking about as they do it. 'I aimed to stab the foe from behind. Was it the right thing to do? Perhaps not, but I felt my strength was too low to take him head on. Stealth was my only surefire option'

I admit I struggle sometimes on the higher word counts, but often this is because another player hasn't given me much to play off or there isn't a lot happening so there isn't a lot to play off.

I believe for some of the jobs it was allowed that you could do it all in one post providing that post met the total word count. I suppose, we could (possibly), allow that if you post more posts then you need fewer words per post. Still...I doubt it would be much

Word Count Change Zack2_by_gramcrackers-d8ker96

Word Count Change Zack_by_ravenart5-d8j23c0

Word Count Change Zackrose_zpse9a22d85
    Current missions(4/6):  get the squid A, King of Fighters(S), Village Protection(A), Repair the House(D)
    Kirahunter
    Kirahunter

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- VIP- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Rising Star- Guild Master- Demon Slayer- S-Rank- A-Rank- Haiku Contest Participant- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Hero- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Keeper of War
    Experience : 1,250

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Seith - Human Possession
    Second Skill: Stardust
    Third Skill:

Post by Kirahunter 15th October 2014, 4:06 pm

I love word counts. Word counts are great. I can pump out 1k word posts out of boredom. But when people give me 100 words to go off I just die. Suddenly matching their 100 words is impossible. Sometimes I wish we had MORE word counts but I doubt 500 words min for social threads will ever gain momentum in congress. So whatever.

[20:44:53] Kirahunter : also I like the sound of my own voice
    [20:44:59] Kirahunter : so I had to say something

Missions Completed

D- 6 (150 exp)
    C- 1 (50 exp)
    B- 1 (1,050 exp)
    A- 0
    S- 0

Total:1250

Character
    Primary Magic
    Akira Tatsumi
    Akira Tatsumi

Character Sheet
    First Skill:
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Akira Tatsumi 15th October 2014, 4:07 pm

Fine, I am giving up with this suggestion. Now stop badgering me with your love for large posts XD.

Akira Tatsumi
    Kari
    Kari

Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Spirit of Corruption
    Guild : Sabertooth
    Cosmic Coins : 3
    Mentor : Hakurou

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Spectral Make
    Second Skill: Ice Make
    Third Skill:

Post by Kari 15th October 2014, 8:55 pm

I just like the idea that Jobs are supposed to be hard, you get EXP and money from them. Its like Real life work, you don't get paid to sit on your ass and play video games... unless your one of those lucky people in the world...

C H A R A C T E R ||| M A G I C ||| T H E M E ||| B A T T L E   T H E M E |||B A N K

Word Count Change 0dsc51s_zps85ba2000
    Almyra Bys
    Almyra Bys

Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Rising Star- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Armored Beast
    Guild : Guildless
    Cosmic Coins : 41
    Mentor : None
    Experience : 1787.5

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Chaos Theory
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Almyra Bys 16th October 2014, 10:30 am

I'm honestly fine with word counts up to a point. 400-500 is probably the maximum that they should have though, as beyond that, more description just becomes irrelevant and things will start to seem repetitive. A lot of people here seem to think that longer = better, but I definitely find myself preferring more simple styles. I've seen people resorting to adverbs to make their posts longer when they instead could have used better adjectives and verbs. The best writing, for me, is that which says as much as possible with as little as possible, and some of the times, I feel that word counts can inhibit that goal. That being said though, this site has definitely found a good place for word counts.

The only change that I would make would be to allow shorter posts in jobs, as long as they meet the x number of posts above the word count. Why? Well I, for one, enjoy closing threads with a final short, sweet, and to-the-point post, which is kind of impossible with longer word counts. If someone has already met the requirements of say, 30 posts of 400 words, anything beyond that is just bonus and should be able to be shorter. Perhaps word count for posts beyond the requirement to be reduced.

Character|Magic|Bank
    Word Count Change 3MA5V3N
    Theme
    Button count: 1035
    Other siggies:
    Felicity Vrago
    Felicity Vrago

Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- God Slayer- A-Rank- Rich- Player 
    Lineage : Angel of Chaos
    Guild : Eclipse Soul
    Mentor : Conquest/Decayuss
    Experience : 56875

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Crimson God Slayer
    Second Skill: Conquest Take Over
    Third Skill:

Post by Felicity Vrago 17th October 2014, 5:45 pm

Think of it like this Axel, you are describing the who, whats, wheres and how your character is performing said action. Some people find the niche to put in their fillers, me personally I like internal monologues.

Word Count Change P5l7Dxp
    Akira Tatsumi
    Akira Tatsumi

Character Sheet
    First Skill:
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Akira Tatsumi 17th October 2014, 5:54 pm

Alright, I get it. I don't want a change anymore, as I have already said. No need for more posts.

Akira Tatsumi

Current date/time is 7th May 2024, 5:29 am