Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

Guild Names and Purposes

Poll

Should Dies Irae and Elysium be changed to fit the meaning of their names?

[ 1 ]
    Guild Names and Purposes I_vote_lcap17%Guild Names and Purposes I_vote_rcap [17%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Guild Names and Purposes I_vote_lcap83%Guild Names and Purposes I_vote_rcap [83%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Guild Names and Purposes I_vote_lcap0%Guild Names and Purposes I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 6
    Poll closed

Star Guild Names and Purposes

Post by Guest 15th March 2020, 9:46 pm

I know I'm a total newb and all that good stuff but, there was something I couldn't help noticing. The guilds Dies Irae and Elysium, two Latin terms, Dies Irae being a historical hymn that translates to the "The Day of Wrath" and Elysium being the resting place of heroic souls in Greek Mythology. Dies Irae is a legal guild despite its name being a hymn sung in mass for the dead. Elysium being a dark guild despite its name meaning the final resting place for heroic and pure souls in Greek Mythology. To me, that doesn't make sense. Why have these two guilds set up in a way that completely contradicts the guild names' meanings? Maybe it was just something whoever made those guilds thought would be fun, I don't know since I didn't make them, I just feel like, if you were going to give guilds Latin names in which the names themselves carry such historical and mythological meaning and weight, it might be better to base the guild idea and set up off the name given instead. If you find me too rambly or that my suggestion is pointless, feel free to ignore it. I know I'm a lowly newb who hasn't even fully joined the community yet so I may have no business sticking my nose up in here about this but, as someone who loves history and mythology, I wanted to give my two cents on the matter.

Let me know what you think of this. Thanks if you took the time to read the wall of text above.
    Nessa Cordelia Lux
    Nessa Cordelia Lux

Starlight Maiden

Starlight Maiden

Administrator- Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- Main Account- God VIP Status- Dragon VIP Status- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Rising Star- Custom Slayer- Neutral Guild Ace- Z-Rank- Y-Rank- X-Rank- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Wanderer- EXP Grinder- Working Together- Forever Solo- Christian Minecraft Server- I Have Friends...- Teaming Up!- Limited Edition- Hired Help- Idolize- Achiever- Expert Achiever- Over Achiever- Buddy Buddy- Obligatory Beach Episode- Shipped- Sticking Around- Dank Memer- Fan Artist- Taskmaster- Halloween gfx'ers- Halloween Social- Halloween job event participant - Haiku Contest Participant- Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Supreme Grand Master [5000]- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 1st Place Event/Contest Winner- 2nd Place Event/Contest Winner- X-Mas Event Participant- Hero- Summer Special Donor- Summer Special Participant- Have Seijin On Your Friends List- Have Onida On Your Friend's List- Have an Admin as a friend!- Have aeluri On Your Friend's List- Best GFX Artist Award- Player 
    Lineage : Vassal of the Cosmos
    Position : None
    Guild : Fairy Tail
    Cosmic Coins : 145
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 26,209

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Starlight Maiden
    Second Skill: Valkyrie Summoner
    Third Skill: Moon Goddess Slayer

Star Re: Guild Names and Purposes

Post by Nessa Cordelia Lux 16th March 2020, 1:26 am

This is an outrageous suggestion and not even something we would force the guilds to do regardless of the vote. A guild can name itself whatever it likes and that is no ones business. As long as the name isn’t offensive and it is a good place for people to exist then that’s all that matters. These guilds are not made as a controlled system on the forum but are designed by currently existing and active members, the guild masters of which have the rights to name their guild however they please. If people like the guilds concept they will join regardless of the name.

As for the reasoning behind the name, this entire  suggestion is extremely biased and based on your assumption of these guilds, clearly without the consultation of the guild masters themselves who named them. You are new so you don’t know why these guilds were named this way, and I’m sure if you had taken the time to ask their Gms you would have understood this before putting up your own critique.

We are not so restrictive that we would force our members to change their guilds name because a newbie suggested it. A guilds name can only be changed by the decision of the guild itself, should their OWN members put up a suggestion and come to a mutual agreement. Then it would be permitted, but as a site suggestion by someone doesn’t even belong to either of this guilds, nope, not happening.

I will let people discuss this, but I’m also going to tell you now. This suggestion will NOT be approved.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Guild Names and Purposes 60582_s

Shen Kadokawa
    Shen Kadokawa

Administrator- Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- Main Account- Alignment Shift- Mythical VIP Status- Demon VIP Status- God VIP Status- Dragon VIP Status- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Mythical- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- Custom Slayer- God Slayer- Demon Slayer- Legal Guild Ace- Neutral Guild Ace- Z-Rank- Y-Rank- X-Rank- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Wanderer- Eevee- EXP Grinder- Jewel Grinder- Job Creator- Working Together- Forever Solo- Christian Minecraft Server- I Have Friends...- Teaming Up!- Limited Edition- Idolize- Unknown Powerhouse- Unknown Legend- The Completionist- Guild Creator- Achiever- Expert Achiever- Buddy Buddy- Obligatory Beach Episode- Shipped- Sticking Around- Loyal to the Bone- Dank Memer- Fan Artist- Taskmaster- Halloween gfx'ers- Halloween Social- Halloween job event participant - Fan Art Contest Participant- Haiku Contest Participant- Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 6- Veteran Level 5- Veteran Level 4- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Join A Faction!- Tertiary Magic- Supreme Grand Master [5000]- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 3rd Place Event/Contest Winner- Christmas Event Winner- X-Mas Event Participant- Advertisement Achievement Badge- Tournament Participation Badge- Cookie Achievement- Cupcake Achievement- Rainbow Hero- Summer Special Tier 4- Summer Special Tier 3- Summer Special Tier 2- Summer Special Tier 1- Summer Special Donor- Summer Special Participant- 1 Year Anniversary- Player-
    Lineage : Assassin's Shadow
    Faction : The Rune Knights
    Guild : Guildless
    Cosmic Coins : 505
    Experience : 3,283,767

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Infinite Arcana
    Second Skill: Vox Universum
    Third Skill: Disciple of War

Post by Shen Kadokawa 16th March 2020, 2:11 am

Since I'm the one who made and subsequently named Dies Irae I feel like it would be appropriate to offer my insight on this particular topic.

Dies Irae is indeed, as you have so perceptively pointed out, a latin term used to describe the "Day of Wrath". What you, of course, failed to mention is that this term comes from the introduction of a medieval poem about the Day of Judgement, "Day of Wrath" being a direct metaphor for the day when the souls of the dead are judged according to their sins and consequently sent to either heaven or hell, i.e., to put it simply, Judgement Day. This guild name carries significance not just in the fact that it aims to "judge" people, particularly dark mages, according to their sins, but also in the fact that it has made it its mission to send them to the afterlife. While the guild draws some arguably minimal inspiration from Christian iconography and symbolism, the influence it has on the actual guild itself is rather minute, and the guild itself is entirely detached from any religious or historical connections bar the symbolism used in its naming. If you feel like historical context must be applied to the guild, or that it should be taken literally, I disagree on that. After all, guilds like "Sabertooth", for example, aren't actually about collecting, or even fighting, Sabertooths. The guild and its concept are detached from its name.

Elysium is the latinized version of the greek word "Elysion", the afterlife for heroic and divine heroes who are to spend it in eternal bliss and enjoyment. The Dark Guild Elysium has, to my knowledge, chosen this name because it guises itself with the goal of realizing these same ideals, eternal bliss and joy for all, officially advertising as being an organization that seeks to bring humanity salvation through whatever means it would take, while in the shadows working to obtain power and control for more selfish reasons. I feel like, taking into account the context of the guild's goals and how the guild functions, the name it has chosen for itself is quite befitting considering the guild advertises with this fact.

Concludingly, I have to agree with Nessa. It is not up to members outside of guilds to influence or change the names of guilds for the simple fact that you don't understand the reason why they are named the way they are or disagree about the context or conventions of their naming. A guild's Guildmaster determines its name, and their say in that matter is final. Members of the guild in question, of course, have a say on that as well, though that also has to be discussed with the corresponding Guildmaster.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Serilda Sinclair
    Serilda Sinclair

Ice Queen

Ice Queen

Developer/GFX Artist- Main Account- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- Custom Slayer- God Slayer- Z-Rank- Y-Rank- X-Rank- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Wanderer- So Extra- EXP Grinder- Job Creator- Working Together- Forever Solo- Christian Minecraft Server- Teaming Up!- Limited Edition- Hired Help- Unknown Powerhouse- Unknown Legend- Helper- Guild Creator- Achiever- Expert Achiever- Over Achiever- Buddy Buddy- Obligatory Beach Episode- Shipped- Dank Memer- Taskmaster- Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Tertiary Magic- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 1st Place Event/Contest Winner- X-Mas Event Participant- Motor City Rush- Best GFX Artist Award- Player 
    Lineage : Scion of the Void King
    Position : Goddess of Conviction
    Faction : The Rune Knights
    Guild : Guildless
    Cosmic Coins : 155
    Experience : 12,421,054

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Voidwalking
    Second Skill: Sword of Wrath
    Third Skill: Cruorthurgy

Post by Serilda Sinclair 16th March 2020, 6:14 am

Alright, I'm gonna come be the bad guy here so the admins don't have to.

There's a lot of things on a site that are perfectly okay for even a newbie to be critical about. However, there is a line between having an opinion on something, like the efficiency of a certain rule or game play mechanic, and openly, publicly insulting the hard work and creativity of the site's members. You flat out pole vaulted over that line.

I'm curious as to at what point in writing this suggestion and creating a poll over it where you didn't think that this was going to be ill received or perceived as insulting and presumptuous by the members and staff? Even if you didn't stop to think, "Hey, maybe I should wait until I have more than two posts and understand the community a little better before I start criticizing it", did it maybe occur to you that this is a site set in a fictional world, online, where people come to have fun and not be expected to adhere to the mechanisms of real life?

Whether you meant it to be or not, this entire post and suggestion was rude and pretentious from the get go, and someone here needs to tell you that openly, so here I am. As a guildmaster myself, I can tell you that if a post of this caliber had been made about the Rune Knights, I would ream you a new one, newbie or no. I was already considering it since I'm an Ace of Elysium with one of my alts. However, I think Joh sufficiently came in and took care of that schooling for me, so I'll let my personal desire for that go.

However, I'm not going to be subtle about my thought that this entire suggestion was a bold move that does not look favorably on you, and you really should have thought a bit more in depth about how it might be perceived before you chose to post it. It's okay to have an opinion, but it is not okay to suggest that members who have poured their hearts and souls, time and energy onto this site for years change their creative expressions just because you've assumed they're uneducated.

Aoi
    Aoi

1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Knight of Spirits
    Guild : Sabertooth
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Mentor : N/A
    Experience : 23,011

Character Sheet
    First Skill: None
    Second Skill: None
    Third Skill: None

Post by Aoi 16th March 2020, 8:50 am

https://www.fairytail-rp.com/t35417-guild-information-and-availability

If you read up, you’ll how wrong you are, sir/madam/Karen.

Other than that, welcome to the site :)

]
    aeluri
    aeluri

Administrator- Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- Main Account- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Zodiac Key- Dark Guild Ace- A-Rank- Wanderer- Job Creator- Working Together- Christian Minecraft Server- I Have Friends...- Teaming Up!- Unknown Powerhouse- Helper- Achiever- Expert Achiever- Over Achiever- Buddy Buddy- Monty Python- Shipped- Sticking Around- Dank Memer- Taskmaster- Halloween job event participant - Rich- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 1st Place Event/Contest Winner- 3rd Place Event/Contest Winner- X-Mas Event Participant- Cookie Achievement- Cupcake Achievement- Rainbow- Villain- Have Onida On Your Friend's List- Have an Admin as a friend!- Have aeluri On Your Friend's List- Best GFX Artist Award- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Feline Sense
    Position : ULULU
    Guild : ⫸ Hidden Blades ⫷
    Cosmic Coins : 70
    Experience : 92,777

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Malefic Felines
    Second Skill: Sinister Arsenal
    Third Skill: Grimm

Post by aeluri 16th March 2020, 8:57 am

Oh honey...

This place is built on creativity. People create their characters, plots, pets, everything that relates to their character. This includes names. IRL historical "accuracy" holds no weight unless the member desires it to. Nobody has to take the literal historical meaning for a word and use it as just that IC. People here are allowed to use words and names and languages however they want in their plots (within the CoC, of course).

This ain't it, chief :/

EDIT: I know who you are

Last edited by aeluri on 16th March 2020, 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Guild Names and Purposes 60637_s
    Mura Kensho
    Mura Kensho

The Ghost Slayer

The Ghost Slayer

Regular VIP Status- VIP- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Neutral Guild Ace- Dark Guild Ace- S-Rank- A-Rank- Halloween Social - Haiku Contest Participant- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Hero- Summer Special Participant- Player 
    Lineage : Pluto's Oathbreaker
    Position : God of Mettle
    Partner : Mythica
    Faction : The Luminous Covenant
    Guild : Fairy Tail (GM)
    Cosmic Coins : 155
    Dungeon Tokens : 21
    Experience : 10,355

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Spirit Completion Magic
    Second Skill: Onmyōdō
    Third Skill: Second Origin

Post by Mura Kensho 16th March 2020, 9:24 am

I like to pee

Themes:
    Ahote
    Ahote

Moderator- Main Account- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Coming Storms- Guild Master- Demon Slayer- Working Together- Christian Minecraft Server- I Have Friends...- Helper- Guild Creator- Achiever- Sticking Around- Loyal to the Bone- Dank Memer- Veteran Level 5- Veteran Level 4- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Cookie Achievement- Cupcake Achievement- Rainbow- Villain- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Gold Rush
    Position : -
    Guild : Hidden Blades
    Cosmic Coins : 10
    Mentor : N/A
    Experience : 2,246,236

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Forbidden Flame Arts
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Ahote 16th March 2020, 9:30 am

Lol, sir, it isn't April 1st yet. xD

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Faulkner
    Faulkner

Alt Account- Get Married- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Coming Storms- Working Together- Christian Minecraft Server- Teaming Up!- Achiever- Shipped- Sticking Around- Halloween job event participant - Veteran Level 1- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Player 
    Lineage : Warrior of Steel
    Position : Coming Storm
    Guild : ⊱ Luminous Rose - Ace ⊰
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Experience : 332,183

Post by Faulkner 16th March 2020, 9:33 am

I suggest we change the site to Furry Tail RP, where everyone has a fursona <3 uwu

y for yes

n for no

aeluri
    aeluri

Administrator- Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- Main Account- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Zodiac Key- Dark Guild Ace- A-Rank- Wanderer- Job Creator- Working Together- Christian Minecraft Server- I Have Friends...- Teaming Up!- Unknown Powerhouse- Helper- Achiever- Expert Achiever- Over Achiever- Buddy Buddy- Monty Python- Shipped- Sticking Around- Dank Memer- Taskmaster- Halloween job event participant - Rich- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 1st Place Event/Contest Winner- 3rd Place Event/Contest Winner- X-Mas Event Participant- Cookie Achievement- Cupcake Achievement- Rainbow- Villain- Have Onida On Your Friend's List- Have an Admin as a friend!- Have aeluri On Your Friend's List- Best GFX Artist Award- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Feline Sense
    Position : ULULU
    Guild : ⫸ Hidden Blades ⫷
    Cosmic Coins : 70
    Experience : 92,777

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Malefic Felines
    Second Skill: Sinister Arsenal
    Third Skill: Grimm

Post by aeluri 16th March 2020, 9:34 am

Baird wrote:
    I suggest we change the site to Furry Tail RP, where everyone has a fursona <3 uwu

y for yes

n for no

Y

omg uwu

Guild Names and Purposes 60637_s
    Nessa Cordelia Lux
    Nessa Cordelia Lux

Starlight Maiden

Starlight Maiden

Administrator- Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- Main Account- God VIP Status- Dragon VIP Status- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Rising Star- Custom Slayer- Neutral Guild Ace- Z-Rank- Y-Rank- X-Rank- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Wanderer- EXP Grinder- Working Together- Forever Solo- Christian Minecraft Server- I Have Friends...- Teaming Up!- Limited Edition- Hired Help- Idolize- Achiever- Expert Achiever- Over Achiever- Buddy Buddy- Obligatory Beach Episode- Shipped- Sticking Around- Dank Memer- Fan Artist- Taskmaster- Halloween gfx'ers- Halloween Social- Halloween job event participant - Haiku Contest Participant- Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Supreme Grand Master [5000]- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 1st Place Event/Contest Winner- 2nd Place Event/Contest Winner- X-Mas Event Participant- Hero- Summer Special Donor- Summer Special Participant- Have Seijin On Your Friends List- Have Onida On Your Friend's List- Have an Admin as a friend!- Have aeluri On Your Friend's List- Best GFX Artist Award- Player 
    Lineage : Vassal of the Cosmos
    Guild : Fairy Tail
    Cosmic Coins : 145
    Experience : 26,209

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Starlight Maiden
    Second Skill: Valkyrie Summoner
    Third Skill: Moon Goddess Slayer

Post by Nessa Cordelia Lux 16th March 2020, 9:35 am

Alrrrrright, to prevent further escalation. Staff have decided to close this thread and move it to Rejected Suggestions.

Guild Names and Purposes 60582_s

Current date/time is 1st May 2024, 9:38 pm