Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

In Walks a Weirdo

Cuthbert Rumbold
    Cuthbert Rumbold

Player 
    Lineage : None
    Position : None
    Guild : Rune Knights
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 0

In Walks a Weirdo Empty In Walks a Weirdo

Post by Cuthbert Rumbold 7th February 2021, 2:28 pm

Cuthbert cleared his throat and coughed, reaching up to straighten his old wide-brimmed hat as he ambled towards the headquarters of the Rune Knights.  He looked ill-at-ease and completely out of his element, because in fact that's exactly what he was.  The grizzled old man sighed and reached up to smooth his long, bushy beard.  What was he doing here?  Even if joining a guild like the Rune Knights would help him in his pursuit of his magic and even better, help him to avoid his overbearing sisters, he looked more like an escapee from an old folks' home rather than an aspiring recruit.  Cuthbert sighed as he reached the headquarters of the Rune Knights and stared up at its high, imposing walls.

Of course, feeling out of place here was better than being berated at home under his eldest sister Esmerelda's gimlet gaze.  Ever since her husband had died* she had turned her attention to 'civilizing her younger brother' and 'getting his head out of the clouds and off of this magic business'.  With her around, Cuthbert had not had any peace and quiet to practice his summoning at all.  He needed a way out from under her, and this seemed as good a way as any.

Shaking his head, the mage made up his mind and entered the building and headed for the nearest person he saw.  Looking around nervously, Cuthbert cleared his throat and said, "Hullo?  Is this where one comes to join the Rune Knights?"  He stood up a little straighter, trying to look as if he belonged there and would be just the sort of person the guild was looking to recruit.  "I-I'd like to j-join your guild."

*Cuthbert was of the opinion that her husband had not really died, but was instead hiding somewhere to avoid her constant hen-pecking.  He had enough sense not to express this opinion to Esmerelda herself.

317 Words

Last edited by Cuthbert Rumbold on 16th February 2021, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding word count)
    Serilda Sinclair
    Serilda Sinclair

Ice Queen

Ice Queen

Developer/GFX Artist- Main Account- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- Custom Slayer- God Slayer- Z-Rank- Y-Rank- X-Rank- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Wanderer- So Extra- EXP Grinder- Job Creator- Working Together- Forever Solo- Christian Minecraft Server- Teaming Up!- Limited Edition- Hired Help- Unknown Powerhouse- Unknown Legend- Helper- Guild Creator- Achiever- Expert Achiever- Over Achiever- Buddy Buddy- Obligatory Beach Episode- Shipped- Dank Memer- Taskmaster- Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Tertiary Magic- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 1st Place Event/Contest Winner- X-Mas Event Participant- Motor City Rush- Best GFX Artist Award- Player 
    Lineage : Scion of the Void King
    Position : Goddess of Conviction
    Faction : The Rune Knights
    Guild : Guildless
    Cosmic Coins : 155
    Experience : 12,421,054

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Voidwalking
    Second Skill: Sword of Wrath
    Third Skill: Cruorthurgy

In Walks a Weirdo Empty Re: In Walks a Weirdo

Post by Serilda Sinclair 13th February 2021, 4:58 pm

Seri Banner
    Conviction never shames nor condemns us.
    It calls us back to who we truly are.
    It wasn’t often that Serilda found time to be away from her desk while at work. The field marshal did her best to be an actual presence around the compound and to spend time with her soldiers, rather than just being some name on a roster. Sadly, she did not always get the luxury of down time, and more often than not she found herself stuck in her office behind a mountain of paperwork and reports, or caught up in meetings with the Magic Council and her generals.

But today, the stars had aligned and given her a relatively free opening to simply go about the headquarters, checking in on the active members of the various departments and giving them some of her time. As usual, Serilda was garbed only in the basic black uniform that was issued to all Knights, regardless of their rank or division. The noblewoman rarely wore her full formal regalia, saving it for moments of nationwide emergency or for preplanned events that called for a certain level of decorum. Outside of that, she was prone to simply wearing the same uniform that nearly every other Knight wore. In fact, the only thing that marked her as anything more than a basic recruit was the silver cross guarded laurel insignia on either side of her collar that marked her as the highest ranking officer in charge of the entire military force, two pins that were small enough that most people who didn’t know what to look for wouldn’t even have really noticed them. Sitting at her feet was a fully grown wolf with thick black fur that was speckled with a dusting of cream and gold marks that greatly resembled stars in the night sky.

As she was speaking with Valorie, the secretary behind the main desk, an older gentleman walked in. He wore a wide brim hat and looked mildly disheveled with his scraggly beard and greying hair. Looking about a bit nervously as though the vast halls of the military headquarters intimidated him, he approached the desk where Serilda and Valorie were loitering and hesitantly asked if he had come to the right place to join them. The Voidwalker studied him carefully, her pale blue eyes unreadable as she briefly considered him.

Then, she smiled at him, the expression small but no less genuine or polite. “Yes, you have come to the right place.” The white haired woman offered him a firm handshake. “Serilda Sinclair,” she said by way of introduction, foregoing the use of any of her numerous titles. If he wasn’t the type to keep up with nobility or politics and thus didn’t already know who she was, she saw no reason to ladle him with the knowledge for the time being. “The Knights are always looking for more recruits.”

Valorie spoke up from where she sat behind the desk, already withdrawing a folder of recruitment paperwork from a drawer. “Shall I call in one of the officers, my lady?”

“No, I’d be more than happy to help him. Thank you, Valorie.” She took the folder from the secretary and nodded to the older man. “Right this way,” the noblewoman said, leading the way toward an open conference room without walking too far ahead of him. “Why don’t we start with telling me a little about yourself?”

WORDS: 555 | @Cuthbert Rumbold
    Serilda Sinclair

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Cuthbert Rumbold
    Cuthbert Rumbold

Player 

Post by Cuthbert Rumbold 16th February 2021, 5:25 pm

Scanning the room, Cuthbert's watery blue eyes settled on the two women behind the desk and his heart immediately sank. Oh dear...why does it always have to be women? He thought morosely, reaching up to tug at his beard. You'd think in a military establishment, there'd be less chance of running into women left and right. It's not that the old mage didn't like women...it was just that they flustered him so. It was probably the result of being bullied by his overbearing sisters for fifty odd years, but Cuthbert didn't much like to analyze it.

He reached out a tentative hand and shook hers, clearing his throat and trying to smile to show willing, but he probably failed. In contrast to her smart black uniform, the older gentlemen looked quite shabby indeed. Cuthbert had never given much thought to his appearance. He had always been so much more interested in his magic. His coat had once been blue, but very little of it showed through the dust and mud that was speckled over it from his travels. If Serilda was particularly observant she would be able to see that the cuffs of the coat were frayed. His boots were old, worn and scuffed. His hat had a few holes here and there that had been inexpertly patched. But even if he were in the finest tailored suit, Cuthbert still would have felt shabby and awkward in the presence of Serilda.

The geriatric summoner had no idea who Serilda was. She had been right in her estimation that all of the titles would have been lost on him. He listened wordlessly to the exchange between her and her....secretary perhaps? Valorie seemed like a secretary to Cuthbert. Or she seemed like what he always imagined a secretary would be like at the very least, considering that he had never met one. He jumped slightly when Serilda beckoned him to follow her, snapping out of his reverie. "A-ah...yes!" He hurried to follow her towards the conference room, looking around at his surroundings with a curious air about him.

"M-myself?" Cuthbert repeated, inwardly cringing at the familiar stutter in his voice. After so long, he would have thought he could get control of it by now. "W-w-w-well..." He sighed, quietly berating himself and willing his voice to steady itself. "I'm a s-summoner. Have been f-for y-y-years now. I sp-spend a great deal of my t-t-time traveling, trying to find more celestials." The old wizard screwed his eyes up towards the ceiling and tugged on his beard absentmindedly. What else could he tell her? He had already told her all the important bits in three sentences. "I came to join the Rune Knights..."

Cuthbert trailed off for a moment, wondering what he should tell her. What would have the best chance of impressing her and convincing her that he was the type of recruit she was looking for her? If he told her that he 'had always felt a yearning to serve his fellow man'? Or 'he was a powerful mage with a desire for adventure'? The old man squirmed slightly as he considered but eventually sighed and opted for the truth, which in his mind (or probably anyone else's for that matter) was not overly impressive: "I wanted to j-j-join your order so I had a...r-respectable r-r-reason for spending more time out of th-the h-house." And out from under the meddlesome eye of his eldest sister Esme, he added silently. "Th-the Rune Kn-knights seemed a good fit. E-especially i-i-if I can find more celestial beings wh-wh-while I w-work for th-the organiz-z-zation."

600 Words
    Serilda Sinclair
    Serilda Sinclair

Ice Queen

Ice Queen

Developer/GFX Artist- Main Account- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- Custom Slayer- God Slayer- Z-Rank- Y-Rank- X-Rank- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Wanderer- So Extra- EXP Grinder- Job Creator- Working Together- Forever Solo- Christian Minecraft Server- Teaming Up!- Limited Edition- Hired Help- Unknown Powerhouse- Unknown Legend- Helper- Guild Creator- Achiever- Expert Achiever- Over Achiever- Buddy Buddy- Obligatory Beach Episode- Shipped- Dank Memer- Taskmaster- Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Tertiary Magic- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 1st Place Event/Contest Winner- X-Mas Event Participant- Motor City Rush- Best GFX Artist Award- Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Serilda Sinclair 4th March 2021, 10:51 am

Seri Banner
    He was certainly a bit on the nervous side, reminding her a lot of the day that Shen had joined the Knights. Except this man was a lot older than Shen. He jumped a little when Serilda beckoned for him to follow, as though he had gotten lost in thought for a moment and had to quickly catch up to what was happening. Hopefully that was more of a tribute to the state of his nerves rather than his age, but she wouldn’t really know until she started talking to him and hopefully got him to calm down a little.

As they settled into the conference room, she asked him to tell her a little about himself. He stuttered quite a bit through his answer, which only added more similarities between him and her young protege, as Shen had also had a very difficult time speaking straight for a while due to his nerves and his lack of confidence. But, he did manage to eek out an answer for her. He opened with explaining that he was a summoning wizard, and had been for many years. His search for more celestial spirits had allowed him the opportunity to do a lot of traveling. That was about where he hesitated, seemingly trying to find more words to give her an adequate answer to her question, and in his anxiety he repeated his desire to join the Knights.

But the statement trailed off, the words not quite coming to him. Or perhaps, he was simply trying to decide how to approach his answer. Either way, he’d find that Serilda was very patient, keeping a calm, level gaze on him that betrayed none of her thoughts one way or another, more than happy to give him the time to work himself out without pressuring him to speed things up. Ultimately, she was rewarded when he gave a small sigh and admitted that he wanted to join because he needed to be doing something respectable, to have a reason to be out of the house that others wouldn’t look down upon. The Rune Knights more than fit the bill of respectable, and he saw in them an opportunity to continue his search for spirits that he could form contracts with, and presumably grow as a mage.

While he didn’t say as much out loud, Serilda was adept at reading between the lines. If he was looking for a job that was respectable, then it stood to reason that someone in his life was telling him that his current position in life wasn’t good enough. Her immediate assumption was a spouse, but she wasn’t going to pry to find out for sure. It wasn’t really any of her business. Absently reaching out a hand, she gently pet the wolf’s head, the great creature having laid down on the ground beside her chair. While the hound was certainly keeping an eye on the older man, it wasn’t the focused gaze of a predatory animal, but rather with the wide eyed curiosity of a pup that wanted nothing more than to go over to smell him and beg for attention. But, being as well trained as she was, Xiuhcoatl resisted and instead stayed in place, looking up at him longingly as Serilda scratched lightly around her ears.

After a brief moment of thought and consideration, Serilda spoke up. “Well, we certainly do work hard to be an organization that’s respected by the public. We can’t please everyone, of course, particularly those who feel that the law does not apply to them. As far as what kind of opportunities we could offer you that would aid in your growth as a summoner, I can assure you that you will find such things in abundance here. We have a large number of men and women in our ranks that have contracts with all manner of spirits, myself included. And while our primary focus as a military is to serve the Magic Council and protect the country of Fiore and its citizens, that certainly doesn’t mean that you wouldn’t see some travel. Our duty often calls us outside of Fiore for one reason or another.”

Sensing that he was most comfortable in regards to his magic, she elected to use that topic to try and settle him into a less nervous state. “I’d love to hear about the spirits you work with. Who or what they are, the nature of their abilities, their personalities… really whatever you’d like to say about them. And I’m so sorry, I was a little distracted when you first arrived. I don’t think I caught your name?” Truthfully he hadn’t actually offered it yet, but Serilda had no problem being the one to take the heat on that, finding a polite way to ask for it without putting him on the spot.

WORDS: 807/1362 | @Cuthbert Rumbold
    Serilda Sinclair

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Cuthbert Rumbold
    Cuthbert Rumbold

Player 

Post by Cuthbert Rumbold 6th March 2021, 12:33 pm

Oh dear... the old man thought, his heart sinking yet again. I was afraid that she was going to ask that question sooner or later. It was inevitable, really. People didn't just go about interacting with others and never asking their names. Even though it would make his life so much more pleasant if they did. Without thinking, the wizard reached up and lifted his hat and scratched his head, revealing a patch of unkempt white hair that was thinning at the back. He sighed deeply, still scratching at his head as he looked down towards his worn boots in an attempt to avoid Serilda's gaze for the moment at least while he steeled himself. It was then that he noticed the wolf at her feet gazing intently at him, and a small smile appeared briefly on his weathered features.

He liked animals. They were usually so much more agreeable than people. More often than not, they didn't talk, which meant that they couldn't question him or demand anything of him. That was something he was beginning to appreciate more and more since his sister Esmerelda had decided that running his life and household was the answer to losing her husband. Blast Alotrocious' hide for dying and leaving Esme alone with no one to henpeck but her 'poor, besotted brother Cuth--' The mage jumped out of his reverie once again, his gaze snapping back up to Serilda with a sheepish expression. "A-ah...sorry. My name? Y-yes, my n-name is..." He trailed off, cringing inwardly. "M-my n-name is C-Cuthb-bert." He grimaced and replaced his hat on his grizzled head. "C-Cuthbert R-Rumbold. I-I n-normally go by M-Master R-Rumbold." Or, at least, he wished that's what he could go by.

Cuthbert hated his name. It was so...awful.So blah. So mundane. So...fitting. He sighed and looked up at Serilda, his expression one of someone who was resigned to suffering chuckles or outright laughter upon hearing his monicker. "A-as for my magic..." he continued hurriedly, wanting to leave the subject of his name behind sooner rather than later, " I h-have made f-f-four contracts with spirits." He grimaced again, but there was a twinkle of amusement in his eye. "Or r-rather, anthropomorphic per-per-personifications, which I have been informed a-again and again is what th-they prefer to be c-c-called."

The stutter remained, but the old wizard did seem more enthused talking about the subject of his magic than he had been talking about himself. "Th-they're very capricious, th-th-these anthropomorphic p-personifications. S-s-some more th-than others, mind." He glanced from Serilda to her wolf with another sheepish smile. "M-my first c-contract was w-w-with D-Decida. A t-t-tree elemental. Sh-she is very m-motherly. V-very kind and p-p-patient." She was a lot more motherly than Cuthbert's own mother, but he didn't say that aloud. "She s-specializes in p-protection m-magic. H-healing and sh-shielding and so on. Th-then there's V-Vitrolus," Cuthbert reached up to tug at his beard again, his expression one of slight discomfort. "H-he is n-n-not very p-patient. Or k-kind for that matter. H-he's a f-f-fire spirit. He's v-very fond of throwing f-f-fireballs, and slinging l-lava, a-and l-l-lighting things afire." The geriatric magic user shrugged. "Wh-which as it happens i-is very h-helpful on some o-o-occasions."

Vitrolus had once offered to light his sister Esme on fire, and Cuthbert was ashamed to admit that he had thought long and hard about it before offering the fennec a half-hearted 'no'. It had been quite tempting, for even though she was his sister, Cuthbert only liked Esmerelda slightly more than Vitrolus did...and the fire spirit hated her.

"Buster is another o-of m-my contracts," he continued. "H-he's th-th-the personification of rivers and s-streams. H-he uses water m-magic. He's also able to heal, i-if the need a-arises." Buster was also a coward, but Cuthbert didn't think it was a good idea to mention that. He didn't want to embarrass his friend unnecessarily, and since he was a bit chickenhearted himself he could empathize with the water spirit's plight.

"L-lastly th-there's S-S-Silu. Sh-She's the em-embodiment of storms." The old man blushed ever so slightly under his scraggly beard and he squirmed slightly. Silu was quite beautiful and an incurable flirt. She laid it on especially thick with Cuthbert when she realized how much it flustered him. "S-Silu is m-my most p-p-powerful spell. Sh-she h-h-harnesses the power of w-wind and l-lightning t-to attack her targets. Sh-she's quite effective, too. I-I-I wouldn't want to e-ever be on h-her bad side."

At this, Cuthbert fell silent once again, raising his bushy eyebrows at Serilda in an expression that seemed to say: So, what do you think? Everything she had said about the knights sounded agreeable to him. The question was, did Cuthbert fit the bill? The old man doubted it, but he had found in his fifty years of existence that life could always surprise you.

809 Words
    Serilda Sinclair
    Serilda Sinclair

Ice Queen

Ice Queen

Character Sheet

Post by Serilda Sinclair 7th March 2021, 10:26 am

Seri Banner
    “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Master Rumbold.”

Serilda met his introduction with little more than a pleasant smile and respectful acknowledgement. While she was fairly certain that Cuthbert was not any type of royalty or nobility, he was her elder and Serilda had always been taught to respect her elders, no matter their station in life. In truth, she had always been taught to respect everyone, but she certainly had no issues with referring to him as he’d requested. At least, for the time being. Once he was a Knight, should he choose to join, then he would likely be referred to by most people as his military rank, at least while on duty -- but they could cross that bridge when they got there.

If she noticed that he very quickly tried to change subjects from his name, it didn’t show on the noblewoman’s face. Instead, she merely listened in gentle patience as he worked through the explanation of his spirits. He had four, and from their description they seemed to be elementals: one earth, one fire, one water, and one sky. By his own words, they also each seemed to have very unique and animated personalities, some of which sounded as though they could be a bit exasperating at times, but nonetheless it was clear that he cared for them and was very proud to be contracted with them.

When he finished going over the spirits he was silent, giving her a poignant and questioning look as if to ask for her thoughts and if she thought he was going to work out among their organization. As always, Serilda’s face was unreadable, though not unpleasant, as she ruminated over his words in her head. Finally, she spoke up. “They certainly sound like useful spirits, and it sounds like you are very happy with their service. So, let’s take a moment to discuss the Knights, how we operate, what is expected of our members, and that sort of thing. Since we are a military, I prefer to ensure that all potential recruits know exactly what they are getting into and have an idea of where they think the would best fit in.”

“As a joint military and policing force, it is our duty to uphold the law, uphold the will of the Magic Council, and protect the citizens of Fiore and its guests. We are the first and last line of defense for the country, and as such we strive to maintain a certain reputation with the people as well as with our allies in other nations. You will be expected to go through the standard period of boot camp training, where you will be tested and trained in combat, both mundane and magical, as well as educated in the structure and practices of the Rune Knights as a military organization. You would start at the rank of private, and report directly to a Sergeant until your training is complete and you have been assigned to a specialized branch.”

Knowing that she was giving the man a lot of information, Serilda was sure to speak carefully to ensure that she wasn’t overwhelming him. It was often a lot to take in for most people. “We have three branches. The first is Combat, which is the branch most people think of when they think of the Knights. These are the day to day soldiers that patrol the cities of Fiore and act as immediate enforcers of the law, catching criminals and maintaining order and safety. The second is Special Operations, which is our intelligence network. These soldiers generally operate either in an office or off the radar, serving either as covert operatives and spies, or as the people who support them back at base in detective and investigative type roles. The last branch is Engineering, which consists of individuals with a knack for technology and science. They support the Knights by providing us with top of the line gear and weaponry, vehicles, tools… really anything they can imagine.”

“Generally speaking, we like to give recruits the option of what branch they wish to join, but it is not something you would have to decide until after your training is over. You would be assigned a uniform.” She gestured to her own attire, the crisp black suit perfectly tailored to her. “This is our basic duty uniform. Each branch also has their own specific uniform that you will be assigned upon being designated to one. It is expected that you wear your uniform at all times while on duty.” There were some exceptions to that, of course, primarily with the Spec Ops division, but in the interest of not stuffing his head full of too much knowledge at once she elected to forgo saying so for now. It was something he would learn in his basic training, after all.

“You would also have the option of living in the barracks, should you desire housing. They aren’t anything fancy, but the soldiers that live on base seem to be happy with them. Room and board is covered by us, so you would not have to pay for your room, nor for any food you eat from the cafeteria. We would also provide you with the basic necessities of gear as far as weapons, armor, and other such items. Really anything reasonable will likely be covered, but there may be some things that you would have to pay for on your own.”

She stopped there, giving him a chance to mull things over and take in everything she said. After all, this was his decision as much as it was hers. Serilda was always ready to take anyone that was willing and able to serve, no matter their age, magic, or sometimes even their histories. After all, there were plenty of soldiers among the Knights that had once been dark mages and criminals that had turned from their former habits and chosen to strive for a better life. However, she needed each potential recruit to understand that this was a military, and as such they had a strict method of operating, and that lifestyle wasn’t for everyone. Cuthbert would need to be aware ahead of time of what he was getting into, so he could decide for himself if he felt that he would be able to handle it.

“As long as all of that sounds reasonable to you, I can get the paperwork drawn up whenever you’re ready. And please, feel free to ask me any questions you like. It is not an easy lifestyle, so I like to give everyone an opportunity to make as educated a decision as possible.”

WORDS: 1110/2472 | @Cuthbert Rumbold
    Serilda Sinclair

Cuthbert Rumbold
    Cuthbert Rumbold

Player 

Post by Cuthbert Rumbold 8th March 2021, 7:38 pm

Cuthbert blinked momentarily at Serilda, a disbelieving smile tugging at the corners of his mustache when he heard her address him as Master Rumbold. Serilda probably didn't know it, but she had immediately endeared herself to him with that small sentence. She had been the only one to address him as such in all his years. The expression was the very definition of fleeting and was quickly replaced by his usual expression of polite incomprehension as his companion explained life amongst the Rune Knights for his benefit.

He sensed that she was speaking slowly, taking her time for his benefit. This was something that the geriatric mage was used to. There was just something about him that made people speak slowly and carefully to make sure they didn't lose him in the conversation. It hadn't really dawned on him that this was because of his age and people were wondering if he was a bit daft because of his advanced years, but this was only because folks had tended to speak to him in this manner since he could remember. Even before the weight of his years had begun to settle on his shoulders,, the mage's manner and tendency to get lost in thought always made those around him conclude that he was off with the fairies instead of experiencing the here and now.

His brows furrowed when boot camp was mentioned, and Cuthbert appeared to be chewing on his lip as he considered that. Hmmm...it's been some years since I indulged in that much physical exertion, he thought, somewhat worried. Oh, he exercised. He was quite spry and surprisingly strong for a man of his age. But being active and being battle-ready were two very different things. I have good strong lungs...I can run at a good pace...no dodgy ticker.... He puffed his chest out a bit, thumping himself where the organ in question was. I daresay it's possible...or rather, not entirely IMpossible that I could survive that.

He blinked when the Combat branch of the Knights was described. That hardly seems like a good fit, he thought with a sniff to emphasize the thought. I'm hardly the imposing, authoritative type. Cuthbert grimaced, remembering the time that his younger sister Bertie had charged him with watching her six children for the day. Her eldest was an eight year old sno...boy by the name of Harvish. By the time Bertie got home at the end of the day, Harvish had trained his hapless uncle to call him 'sir' and there was no question in anyone's mind who was calling the shots, including his annoyed sister. The one bright spot was that he had never been asked to babysit her children again, but it was still an embarrassing memory that she never failed to bring up whenever the family was all together. Cuthbert shook his head. If I can't command respect in an eight year old, I hardly have a prayer with the local citizens on the street...the very thought gives me hives... At this thought the old man scratched at an arm.

Special Operations now...that could be a niche. While it was true that "intelligence" wasn't exactly the word that sprang to mind when one beheld the doddering old man, it certainly was a possibility. And it was for that very reason: he looked like a harmless, doddering old man. He was exactly the type of person that, if he was noticed at all in the first place, was quickly dismissed and forgotten. Who else was better than that to sneak about and gather up bits of information?

Engineering was certainly more suited to him than the Combat branch, but Cuthbert didn't exactly warm to that option either. He had been told on several occasions that he was all thumbs, and even he had to admit to himself that he did not have any kind of mechanical aptitude. Yes...even though I'm not expected to name a branch now...yes, I think I'd be inclined to the Special Operations, he mused as his watery blue eyes followed Serilda's gesture towards her uniform. I doubt I'll look as sharp in it as she does, but I have no objection to it. He always managed to make everything he wore look shabby or unkempt. Looking sharp just wasn't in his repertoire.

When his young companion mentioned living at the barracks, Cuthbert's first impulse was to reject it out of hand. He loved his home. It was comfy, cozy and all his stuff was there. The larder was stocked with good food, good beer, and good tobacco. It smelled familiar and put him at ease...or at least it had before Esme had descended on the place like an ill omen. He didn't like it, but he had to admit that the old house didn't really feel like home with his sister skulking through it, wagging her finger at him and clucking her tongue at every little thing. The free room and board could be a nice change. That is, if it was....

Cuthbert was quiet for a while after Serilda finished her explanation, his expression blank as he digested the information for a little while. "I be-believe it sounds r-reasonable, yes. I d-do believe I-I'd like t-to join y-your organization, i-i-if you'll h-have m-me." When she mentioned that questions would be alright, the old man seemed to perk up and became animated once again, "A-ah! Yes! I d-d-do have a-a question," the mage raised a gnarled finger in the air as if he were pointing to a lightbulb that had suddenly appeared over his head. "Y-y-you mentioned th-the food in the c-cafeteria. F-for the re-recruits. I-Is it an-any g-good? The f-food, I m-mean." The expression on the old man's face seemed to indicate that this was really the only burning question on Cuthbert's mind after listening to all that was said.

978 Words
    Serilda Sinclair
    Serilda Sinclair

Ice Queen

Ice Queen

Character Sheet

Post by Serilda Sinclair 20th March 2021, 8:10 am

Seri Banner
    If Serilda was at all concerned with Cuthbert’s age and seemingly constant state of distraction, it didn’t show. The truth was that she really wasn’t all too worried. In a world full of magic, one’s age hardly meant anything in terms of capability. The true test would be how he fared in training, so they could assess where he and his spirits truly stood and take next steps from there. Even if he wound up not being very skilled in combat, that didn’t mean that they wouldn’t have places they could use him. Particularly since his only real aim was to just have a worthwhile job, as opposed to necessarily being passionate about being a Rune Knight and making it a huge part of his identity. There was flexibility there, and that was as important to her as all the other recruits that came in, gung-ho and ready to put their lives on the line for the greater good.

She explained the basics in as much detail as she ever did, wanting to give the man an idea of what lay on the path before him without dumping too much information on him or scaring him off. He listened in silence, which she could only take to mean that she had his complete attention. There were little expressions on his face from time to time, brief glimpses of what she could only assume was evidence to some kind of inner monologue in response to her explanations. When all was said and done, she sought clarification from him on what he was thinking, as well as opening the floor to any questions he might have. Cuthbert gave her words a bit more thought, not jumping into an answer, but when he did speak up again it was to confirm that he was indeed interested in joining their ranks, should they desire to have him.

He had but one question, and the humorously innocence of it brought a wider smile to her face that betrayed how she appreciated the question. “You’d be surprised how often we get that question,” the marshal told him. “We certainly can’t account for everyone’s tastes, but in general the company seems to be happy with it. We can’t afford to feed everyone gourmet meals all the time, of course, but we try to keep the selection and quality above average. The way I see it, if the men and women of this army are putting their lives on the line every day to protect this country, then they deserve to have decent food to eat. The cooks do their best to provide a different variety of foods every day so it’s not the same boring menu day in and day out, and oftentimes they are willing to take the odd request here and there as long as it’s reasonable and you ask them nicely. We also keep a decent stock of alcohol on hand that off duty knights are more than welcome to partake in, though the alcohol is not covered under the room and board.”

It was far too costly to give everyone access to unlimited alcohol, not to mention it would be quite irresponsible to do so. However, that didn’t mean it wasn’t available, and the soldiers were more than welcome to purchase drinks at their leisure when they weren’t on the clock. “You’re also allowed to have any food or drink you wish in your quarters, should you choose to stay on base. The units aren’t anything grand, but they have their own personal bathrooms and kitchenettes, and there’s at least enough space to not feel cramped.” Presuming he had no further questions, Serilda would nod before standing to her feet and walking over to a small filing cabinet that was in the corner. “Very well then, Master Rumbold, let’s go ahead and get your paperwork started. Then, we’ll see about giving you a tour of the compound.”

WORDS: 654/3126 | @Cuthbert Rumbold
    Serilda Sinclair

Current date/time is 11th May 2024, 10:07 pm