Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

Spell Speed and Range

Cirven
    Cirven

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Moderator- VIP- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Guild Master- Demon Slayer- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : The Devil Jester
    Position : None
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 833,050

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Devil's Zeal
    Second Skill: Aphyon Jivven
    Third Skill: Vir'ednith

Spell Speed and Range Empty Spell Speed and Range

Post by Cirven 9th January 2017, 1:57 pm

So after talking to some others I have started to see that spell speed and range should be stated differently on site or should be even be something left to be interpreted in threads over being defined so much in magic. This is because even though we have these speeds and ranges, most people, if not all of them will put themselves within range and their spells never miss. This is probably because of the cooldowns and MP cost to spells being a factor but still is something I have come to notice happening on site making speed and range irrelevant.

If we go with speed being defined in differently we could do something similar to the idea stated here. I know some of you might not think the idea from them is something worth looking into but it is something that can help with the tension on site and also help with people understanding things better.

Now with the idea I have we can have it stated how fast every spell is in words where we do not use numbers at all like 'This spell moves as fast as a rock thrown by a average person' or 'this spell moves as fast as a bullet from a gun' and have it separated by rank with what the average speed is. We can also let other define how fast their spells are in their magic by simply taking some labeling we would have set up for them to use similar to what I gave an example of above.

A labeling idea from Eris that I'm liking:

My other idea is to completely get rid of defining speed and range of a spell because even if we define them in some way people will put themselves in range of their spells. Maybe even using the idea that the range is not good as a weakness but always find a way to hit with it. If this is done then speed and range will be interpreted by those in a thread. It would obviously be known that each rank would be faster/move further than the last which is something we should not have to state but may have to anyways so that people understand how to interpret the spell being used better.

Which idea do you like more? Anything anyone else has to add to these ideas at all? I think they need some tweaks but I am only one guy and I'm brainstorming here for ideas.

Last edited by Cirven on 23rd January 2017, 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Spell Speed and Range LxcTBIi
    Character Info:
    Ardere Kasai
    Ardere Kasai

The Fire King

The Fire King

Developer/GFX Artist- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Rising Star- Guild Master- God Slayer- A-Rank- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- X-Mas Event Participant- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Legacy of the Fire King
    Position : The Vanquisher
    Guild : Infinity Hydra (Guildmaster)
    Mentor : Hephaestus
    Experience : 420,643

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Flame God Slayer (3rd Gen)
    Second Skill: -
    Third Skill:

Spell Speed and Range Empty Re: Spell Speed and Range

Post by Ardere Kasai 9th January 2017, 2:25 pm

I've been on a site without spell speeds before. As long as people judge it properly in threads it shouldnt be a problem. And I've never seen anyone call a mod for spell speeds anyways, so I think we're already fine. People seem to ignore spell speeds anyways.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Spell Speed and Range FYZkfE1
    God Force:

Legacy Form:

Post by Guest 9th January 2017, 7:10 pm

The only issue I have with this (which we already spoke about) is that one persons definition for speed could be different for someone else. But apart from that, I find removing the speeds could be quite acceptable.
    Cirven
    Cirven

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Moderator- VIP- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Guild Master- Demon Slayer- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Cirven 23rd January 2017, 8:24 pm

Added a labeling idea that Eris spoke about that I liked and think we can use to have members use to explain their spell speed and range. This could simply be stated and explained in the magic rules area of the site.

Character Info:
    Anastasia Isayev
    Anastasia Isayev

Moderator- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Guild Master- S-Rank- A-Rank- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Valkyrian
    Guild : Black Sails GM
    Mentor : [Primary] Ivan Isayev [Secondary] Fafnir, the World Dragon
    Experience : 321116

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Mechanized REquip
    Second Skill: Dragons' Champion
    Third Skill:

Post by Anastasia Isayev 25th January 2017, 4:40 pm

While I wouldn't mind this..
    How would we, as staff, use this as a form of balance?

While I do feel that speed/distance isn't really all that important, how would you go about grading a spell that should be fast, but is registered as slow?

[Character Approval] [Mechanized REquip Spells] [Dragons' Champion] [The Eye of Odin] [Bank]
    Wave your banner!  
    Join the Black Sails today!
    The Guild is Set to OPEN!  -- This means, feel free to join!
    Cirven
    Cirven

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Character Sheet

Post by Cirven 25th January 2017, 6:40 pm

Anastasia Isayev wrote:While I wouldn't mind this..
    How would we, as staff, use this as a form of balance?

While I do feel that speed/distance isn't really all that important, how would you go about grading a spell that should be fast, but is registered as slow?

As staff you are to judge is a spell should be what category and work with the member for what they want. Its a simple system that goes from left to right in how fast or how much range a spell has and also leaves it a bit under what people in the thread the spell is used interpret as its speed while not using numbers to complicate things.

Its way easier to grade than you think especially when it would be an actual list of speed/ranges that would be up in the rules and explained more. This is just a rough draft so far to see what everyone likes and to go with that.

Character Info:

Current date/time is 29th April 2024, 4:26 am