Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

Judgement

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Player 
    Lineage : Traveller of the Multiverse
    Position : None
    Guild : Fairy Tail
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 7,808,129

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Energy Monarch
    Second Skill: Ark of the Dread Masters
    Third Skill:

Judgement  Empty Judgement

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 2nd April 2024, 12:13 pm

There’s no fair or unfair in battle.
    ( There is only victory or in your case, defeat. )
    Judgement  RJtajUnz_o

“Alright everyone, I think it’s about time we get this started. It’s time for our king and queen apparent to hold court over the accused we’ve kept in our dungeon for quite some time.”

It seemed announcing court topics was part of an ambassador’s job responsibilities or perhaps that was only temporary. Simon du Wolff arguably had more important matters to attend to than simply standing around and essentially ‘keeping the minutes’ but he also seemed to enjoy it. Or perhaps that was just the fact that it was going to be the first official session, the first official gathering of the governing bodies of New Rhaegar for a tribunal. He was primp and proper but relaxed, melted into his role like glaze over a sweet – fitting. Vandrad, however, felt terribly out of place and anxious, though a casual onlooker wouldn’t know it. The stern gaze of the nearly newly minted king was sharp and intimidating, lacking any joy or amusement as it slowly rolled over the heads of his court. There was no hatred for the gathered members – elected officials of family, his people and that of Mercury’s people. No, his tension came from the two subjects that were waiting in the holding cells just next door. Though one of them weighed far heavier on his mind than the other.

Best to get through that person first.

His glanced over to Saffron, the blonde easily distinguishable among the heads and faces of the people gathered. His dark motif seemed to soften slightly in recognition of what was to come, of the significance of the trial and her being there. It would not be easy for her to see the man that had lied and used her again and he had offered her the opportunity to be absent for it. But unsurprisingly, she had insisted on coming. His eyes turned towards Mercury, seated beside him and gave her a considering nod, awaiting her response of preparation. And once he received it, he turned to look at Simon.

“Send in the prisoner.” he ordered, his tone as authoritative as it was capable of being.

Simon bowed his head gently and reached down to his wrist. A small, glowing holographic panel snapped to life over his forearm and he pressed a few buttons to send the signal to the guards waiting outside. A technological testament to the combination of influences, the armbands were altered versions of the one that Horsius and Grubar wore, tied into the still budding framework of New Rhaegar’s internal network. The unmistakable lurch of doors opening drew the attention of the room to the small, side corridor just off the main runway, hidden behind a pillar. But it was only a moment later that two guards came around and headed towards the small platform below the raised platform where the thrones sat. Between them, clad in magic-blocking cuffs, was dragged a man familiar to all that had gathered.

His hair had grown out even longer than before and was in utter shambles, cascading down over the back of his head and to his lower back. His beard had ironically been kept trim and proper, though that may have been from Cyrene’s check ups to make sure he was eating and staying healthy. He was placed dead center on the platform, the guards leaving him in place and taking a step back. His own dark eyes lifted up to look at Vandrad then Mercury and then back to Vandrad. ““King Vandrad du Wolff,” Xavier said softly, an ironic chuckle escaping his mouth. “Looks good on you, man.”

“Xavier Clarent, former ruler of the planet of Rhaegar, has been imprisoned for just about four months. His crimes while the self-proclaimed God-King of Rhaegar are innumerable but none so greater than the attempted genocide of the Rhaegarian people of the North. This court… is not gathered to put him on trial for his actions on the former planet. Though they may have been unjust and despicable, the people of Rhaegar do not wish to hold him accountable for his actions there. There are several of our people that were enlisted and served the God-King and have been granted amnesty. Earthland has provided a second chance for our people as a whole and we hold this truth justified even against Xavier Clarent. He is being put on trial today for the attempted assassination of King Vandrad du Wolff, first of his name…”

“He did not attempt to kill me,” Vandrad spoke up, bringing a swift silence to Simon, as well as gathering the attention of the room on himself. “Though he did engage me in combat, his intentions were never to end me. I know as much because when given the window of opportunity to do just that, you refused.” His attention had been solely focused on Xavier since he entered but now he was addressing him directly. “What I want to know is why.”

Xavier stared up at Vandrad with a blank expression. ““Why what?”

“All of it, Xavier. Why did you disguise yourself, only to throw away your attempt at a new life? Why did you seek out a means of redemption with me and my family, only to attack me? Why did you lie, deceive and hurt…?” Vandrad’s tone had taken on a sharper edge, his anger rising before he brought it to a stall. He wanted answers for Saffron, justice for the woman he had trained, had taken under his wing, befriended even. But as much as he wanted to grill for answers, he knew it was pointless. Saffron had already heard everything she needed or perhaps even wanted from Xavier. And as the king, he couldn’t let his emotions overwhelm his rational thought, especially since his crimes against Saffron – and he did hold them as crimes – weren’t directly involving his nation. He tsk’d in annoyance before he continued. “There is no sense in your actions, Xavier. And this may be the only opportunity you have to tell your side of things to anyone. I advise you to use it appropriately.”

Xavier’s gaze remained fixated on Vandrad, even through his momentary lapse of kingly judgment. Not that he could fault the Fairy Tail Ace for his anger. ““Why?” Xavier asked rhetorically, shaking his head solemnly. ““Because put on this planet, I was forced to finally look at myself in the mirror. To remember everythin’ I’d did on our home planet, to the people that I’d fought so hard to save and free. I was confronted with the blood of your people, our people that coated my hands and I… ran away and hid from it. The actions of the king’s men are the actions of the king and I knew what Seberg was doin’. I just… didn’t stop him, not that I could have even if I tried. But I coulda tried if I wasn’t so blinded by my anger and hatred. For your grandaddy and the acts I thought he had taken.”

“Thought?” Vandrad asked, seeking clarity.

““Bacchus du Wolff disappeared when my daddy needed him most, leading to his death. Turns out they wound up here because someone was influencin’ him from another dimension, somewhere called the Dreadlands.”

A veritable, questioning mumbling moved through the crowd. Xavier glanced around and found himself looking at Saffron, his eyes growing wide with painful recognition. Slowly his gaze turned away, the life in him dulled back into depression as he looked back up at Vandrad, who nodded at him to continue. ““We were pawns in a game, Vandrad. Two ancient, smug creatures had manipulated your grandaddy and then me to try and pit our families against one another. She… Bast… she told me she wanted me to help my people, to protect them from the darkness that supposedly surrounded you. She told me that she could release you from it and you’d be free. But then when I was there, over you, she told me that I had to kill you. That it was the only way. I…” He drifted off softly, his eyes dropping down to the ground in front of him. ““I couldn’t do it. I wouldn’t. I wanted to save you and it didn’t sit right with me that that meant killin’ you.”

Vandrad sat with that information for a minute, his hands steepled in front of him as his elbows rested on the throne’s armrests. “A fascinating story…” he said. Of course, he lacked Mythal’s ability to discern the truth through lies but Mercury was capable of reading fluctuations in his biology for markers that could be lying. But, perhaps more importantly, Vandrad’s ability to sense emotions opened a window for him to see just how open and distraught Xavier was. And that wasn’t something that he could mimic or trick the king with. “This Bast woman… did she tell you anything else?”

Xavier seemed confused for a brief moment. It almost sounded like Vandrad… believed him. ““Said she was the spawn of some race called the Vogdae or Ancient Ones. Some nightmare monsters from before our time? That the only reason she knew anythin’ was because her and Ulthar, the other one of her, sensed some kind of disturbance on Rhaegar a long time ago. Oh and another planet… uh… Teras Prime, I think she said. She even said that something else happened, that some poor bastard had sucked up all the leftover Vogdae energy and he’d gotten a preview of the Abyss and that had opened a door for Ulthar to start influencin’ your family.”

A pin could have been heard dropping with how eerily, terribly silent it had gotten. Shocked, concerned looks passed through most people gathered but no more than the ruling family and their close compatriots. The ones that all knew of Blade and Maker and the story of how the fallen Terran had come to power. Even Vandrad had stiffened with the revelation. That wasn’t information that was just readily available; it wasn’t something that Saffron would have accidentally spilled to him during a private moment with him. That meant that that power that Maker had tapped into, the strange energy that he had called ‘Myn’, had come from these Vogdae. At least they had a name for the race from the Time Before.

Xavier’s brow furrowed in confusion, once more looking about but this time with far more focus on the exchanged looks, particularly of the du Wolffs. He’d said something to strike a nerve. ““Y’all know about this?” he asked, a dim but curious fire lit in him.

“Are you still capable of communicating with Bast?” Vandrad asked, ignoring Xavier's question.

““Uh… I don’t really know. After I refused to kill you, I kinda told her off. I haven’t sensed her since, though I don’t know if I would with these on,” he said, lifting his hands to show the cuffs.

Vandrad narrowed his gaze in thought. As determined as he was for answers – and he was – he couldn’t simply let Xavier go. Whatever larger purpose or plan was operating behind the scenes, granting Xavier amnesty for his actions just to sate some questions was inconceivable. No, they would grill him for more answers even if he was behind a jail cell. The only remaining factor was if Xavier was slavish enough to know he had something they needed and attempted to use it to his advantage. He’d surrendered of his own accord; perhaps the first real step he could take towards real redemption would be offering up answers without recompense, at least to Vandrad. For Saffron… well, as far as Vandrad was concerned, there was no healing those scars.

“Whether you’re speaking the truth or not, you lack evidence to prove your point, beyond your refusal to take my life,” Vandrad finally spoke, lifting his head up a little. “And I cannot in good conscious pardon you for your actions. Though I am not as soft as to take personal offense at an attempt on my life, a statement must be made for those that would target New Rhaegar with hostility, even from one of its own people. You will be remanded to the prison for the foreseeable future, during which you will be expected to act as a model prisoner. If genuine attempts are made to redeem yourself for your actions, we will move to reconvene and discuss what steps will be taken dependent on your results.” Letting out a soft sigh from his nostrils, Vandrad lifted his eyes from Xavier and looked towards the guards. “You may take him.”

Xavier’s head dropped a little with the verdict, though he understood. It wasn’t nearly as harsh as he expected or, perhaps, deserved. The guards linked their arms through his and began to pull him away. The former God-King found the gumption in him to turn and look towards Saffron once more, if only out of the corner of his eye. He didn’t deserve to get a last glimpse of her but he simply couldn’t help himself, the fiery blonde locks filling him with a sense of peace for his judgement before he disappeared around the corner of the side hallway.

“That concludes our court business for the day. Please exit the room so as to give the king some time to contemplate,” Simon spoke to the crowd. The room broke into murmurs as the gathered group began to file out the main walkway, with only a few people remaining.

“Time to contemplate. He makes me sound like a damn scholar,” Vandrad mumbled to Mercury irritably. Once the main mass had left, leaving only a handful of the du Wolff family, he turned his gaze to Mercury. “You ready for this?”

Words: 2285 | Tag: @Mercury Arseneault @Saffron Remington | © marzia at shine & gs.

Last edited by Vandrad Ragnos on 9th April 2024, 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Lineage : Gold Rush
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Experience : 6,857,298

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Gunblade Master
    Second Skill: Mecha Primordial Slayer
    Third Skill:

Judgement  Empty Re: Judgement

Post by Mercury Arseneault 3rd April 2024, 8:03 pm

Mercury Banner
    Cunning is the art of concealing our own defects
    and discovering other peoples' weaknesses.
    Normally, under just about any other circumstance, Mercury would have been on the verge of a panic attack. While she and Vandrad had ultimately agreed to establishing New Rhaegar as a kingdom, and taking up the role of the realm’s first king and queen, the lavender haired woman could scarcely say she was looking forward to the responsibility. A part of her recognized that she was surrounded by experienced people whom she trusted with her life, and they would support and guide her when she was unsure of what to do. But deep down, she couldn’t shake the fear that she wasn’t suited for the role, nor the feeling that someone like her didn’t belong in the royal world. So something like this, with her and Vandrad quite literally sitting in judgment over a formal court room with hundreds of people present to witness the event, would have normally had her on edge.

However, today her anxiety was far outweighed by other emotions. The truth was that ever since Xavier’s hand had been revealed and the truth of everything had come out, Mercury had been angry. She could handle being lied to or deceived. Hell, Maker had done almost nothing but lie to her and had made several attempts on not just her life but Vandrad’s and his family’s, but she’d held a great deal of respect and even affection for the man. The former Rhaegarian god-king, however, had approached her out of a seemingly genuine desire to do the right thing, to find the best path to mend things with Vandrad, and not only did he ignore her advice completely, but he slept with Mercury without informing her that he had a thing with Saffron at the time. He’d allowed Mercury to become an unknowing part of hurting her friend, and that was something she had no intentions of forgiving any time soon. The only reason she hadn’t slugged Xavier herself was because he was already unconscious when Cedric called her to say the Rhaegarian had turned himself in. After that, the only thing standing between Xavier and a physical lashing from the Xocili was a more level headed Vandrad.

And even then, she had a feeling the only reason he’d made the effort to dissuade her was because of the pregnancy.

As such, Xavier had been left to the relative isolation of prison beneath the depths of the palace for nearly four months without confrontation from the monarchs. In truth, they had meant to put a bigger priority on sentencing him sooner, but other more pressing matters had continued to arise, what with Ryori’s abrupt appearance in their lives and Shepard dragging himself out of hiding to attack Mythal and Serilda. The king and his fiance knew that Xavier was a situation they would have to handle when they were at their best if they were going to approach it with clear minds and hearts, so it had simply pushed off until the time was right.

But as far as Mercury was concerned, this was not something she was going to be able to approach without bias. She sat quietly in her throne after the hall had filled, fidgeting not just because of her bubbling temper but also because sitting was simply uncomfortable for her these days. She was two thirds of the way through her pregnancy, her belly swollen with a child that had long since started moving and shifting within her. So far her experience with the process, while not so awful that she would swear off future children forever, was not nearly as awe inspiring and wondrous as Serilda had made it sound.

Simon announced the start of the proceedings. Much like Vandrad, Mercury’s gaze would eventually settle upon Saffron where she stood in the crowd. She hadn’t been sure that the blonde would come at all, knowing how intent Saffron had been thus far about all but writing Xavier out of her life. The only thing Mercury could assume was that she’d come more out of support and solidarity to Vandrad than for herself. Saffron had a habit of viewing herself of lesser importance than the others in her lives that held greater rank and power, a fact that frustrated Mercury nearly as much as it did Cedric. When she felt his eyes on her, Mercury turned to look at Vandrad and returned his nod, and with that the king called to have Xavier brought before them.

A few moments later, the Rhaegarian in question stood alone on the open platform below the dais, his guards a few feet back on either side of him. When his gaze turned to Mercury, he’d find himself met with the hard stare of a woman that was very much still harboring a great deal of anger toward him. She and Xavier had not seen one another since their first meeting, where she had been more than a little cordial and friendly despite knowing who he was and his history with Vandrad. Now, she was no longer affording him that same generosity, glaring down at him and looking like she might hop down to slap him, queenly etiquette or no.

Ultimately, he turned back to Vandrad and greeted him – of a sort – before Simon dove into his litany of crimes and the accusations against him. The man only stopped when Vandrad interrupted him to clarify that while Xavier had attacked him, there had never been any intent to kill. Bypassing the rest of the formalities that Simon surely would have led them through, he got right down to the matter and asked Xavier outright why he had done what he did, listing his grievances and stopping just before he could bring up Saffron. The blonde looked away briefly, doing her best to keep her face schooled into a neutral, if stony, expression, more out of discomfort from the situation itself rather than Vandrad’s near mention of her.

Gathering himself and soothing his annoyance with far better mastery than Mercury could ever claim, Vandrad insisted that Xavier’s actions didn’t add up, and now would likely be the only chance he got to tell his side of the story. What followed was the same story that he’d given Mercury months ago, about finally confronting the truth of his actions during his time ruling Rhaegar, accepting responsibility for the things he’d done and the things those under his command had done… if one could truly consider Seberg under anyone’s command. When prompted for further clarity on his change of heart regarding Bacchus, Xavier explained about the mysterious woman from the Dreadlands, and his belief that it was through outside influence that Bacchus and the rest of the du Wolffs were taken away before they could assist with the rebellion.

Up until now, nothing the guild leader said was news. Saffron had relayed some of what Xavier had told her when he had convinced her to meet with him before he turned himself in, so while the topic of Dreadlands was certainly a first for the Rhaegarians gathered there, Mercury and Vandrad weren’t as openly marveled.

The former god-king turned a bit at the curious whispers around him, only to find Saffron standing with the rest of the crowd, her arms crossed over her chest and a vague look of displeasure on her face. Her gaze narrowed as his widened, before she finally looked stubbornly away. Though perhaps not quick enough to prevent him from catching the shade of blue that had taken over the orbs. By the time she looked back, her eyes had returned to their normal violet shade and he had returned his own attention to Vandrad, anyway.

It wasn’t until Vandrad asked for more information about Bast and what she’d told him that the conversation took a sharp and unexpected turn. At the mention of the Ancient Ones even Mercury almost forgot her anger, her eyes widening as she sat forward a touch in her seat, or as much as she could. Her expression only grew more visibly shocked when he mentioned Teras Prime. At the very clear reference to Maker, she fully turned her head to look at Vandrad in concern. Even Saffron looked shaken, her own discomfort lost as her arms uncrossed themselves. She had to almost physically stop herself from speaking out loud to question the matter further. Unbeknownst to both ladies, they both shared the same thoughts in that moment: If Bast was from the Time Before, if she imparted information to Xavier that neither of them should have known… then what if the things she had said about Ulthar were true? What if Vandrad truly was in some kind of danger?

Xavier didn’t miss the looks that were shared around the room by many others. When he tried to press further on the topic, however, Vandrad ignored him and instead asked if Xavier was still capable of communicating with Bast. The answer wasn’t ideal, a solid maybe at best and the only way to test it involved releasing him from the shackles that dampened his magic. The king gave the situation a long thought, with Mercury settling back into her seat beside him, now more pensive and worried than angry. She and Vandrad had already discussed their thoughts on how to handle Xavier before the trial, provided that nothing came to light to change their minds, so she had nothing to add before the final verdict was rendered. Xavier lacked any evidence outside of his refusal to kill Vandrad when he had the chance, and they simply couldn’t set a precedent by overlooking the attack.

As such, he was sentenced to return to his prison cell indefinitely. If he was on his best behavior and proved willing to atone, then they would reconsider the matter again at another time. Then he was taken away. Saffron had to force herself not to watch him go, aware that he was looking at her without fully doing so. She waited until he was gone and then seemed to relax a little, even as Simon called the end of the court session. While everyone else began to file out, the blonde turned her attention up to the king and queen apparent and, after a moment, gave them a meaningful nod. Then, she exited with the others.

Well, almost all the others.

Mercury snorted lightly. “Don’t worry. I don’t think anyone that knows you will mistake you for an intellectual,” she teased, flashing him a small grin. Then, more soberly, she reached over to give his hand a squeeze. “Either way, you handled that well. Much better than I was inclined to.” Before they could discuss any of what had just happened, however, he indicated that it was time to move on to the next matter at hand. Mercury glanced around the mostly emptied room with some mild trepidation. She had kept herself focused on Xavier as much as she could, but Xavier wasn’t the only prisoner they planned to try that day. The time had long since come to deal more firmly with Khelben, who at this point had all but been thrown in a hole and forgotten about outside of needing his help with Maker.

It wasn’t so much that she had any doubts about what they were about to do. She was fully committed to the decision that had been reached. But this would be the first time that the subject of her trauma at the hands of her brother would be discussed openly, and with an audience present. A small one, only most of those who knew the truth of what had happened. The only ones really missing were Mythal and Serilda, who simply had too much going on with the war efforts to be able to take the time to be there. That was fine by Mercury. But that still left Themmy, Gren, and her father, as well as Simon and Cyrene who had only recently been informed of the truth behind Khelben’s incarceration, if only because their political positions all but demanded that they be present for the hearing. Mercury trusted everyone present and knew they would keep the details to themselves, of course… but that didn’t make the prospect of having to formally confront the matter any less embarrassing or traumatic in its own right.

“I don’t know… probably not,” she admitted quietly. Then, with more strength and resolve, she turned her gaze back to his. “But I’m more ready to start putting all of it behind me for good, no matter what it takes.” Presuming he had no other reason to delay, Mercury would give Simon a nod. “Bring him in, please.”

A moment later, not unlike with Xavier, two guards escorted in Khelben. All things considered, he looked better kept than the Rhaegarian prisoner had, if more than a little apprehensive. He glanced warily at the small group that was gathered, doing his best to keep his anxiety from bursting into full blown panic at the knowledge of the confrontation before him. The guards placed him on the dais below the enthroned couple where Xavier had stood only moments before. Then they were dismissed from the room. “Your majesties,” he managed to eek out respectfully, the cuffs on his wrists clinking slightly as he bowed his head in deference.

It took Mercury a moment to find her voice. Despite all the preparation she’d done for this, and despite having repaired quite a bit of her relationship with her brother over the last year or more, she was still beyond anxious now that they were here. “You know why you’re here,” she finally started, trying to sound more confident than she felt. “While we are keeping this an informal and private matter, it is no less a trial to hold you accountable for your accused crimes.”

“I understand.”

There was another small pause as she found her courage, closing her eyes for a moment and doing her best to keep her anxiety from throwing her headlong into a panic attack. “You joined my guild, Silver Wolf, with the intent of stalking me and spying on me. I understand why you did it, as does everyone else here. You didn’t have much choice in the matter, just as I didn’t have much choice when I was sent here by the same people who had us both enslaved. We also understand that you were forced to take drastic action when I rebelled, again under duress and threat of harm to our people should you not comply.”

“However, you hired a known criminal to kidnap me. Not just any known criminal; one of the most wanted, dangerous and psychotic dark mages of our time. And then, when I attempted to break free on your ship…” Her voice trailed off and she steadied herself, even as Khelben lowered his head in shame. “You raped me. We fought, and we argued, and you raped me.” Mercury was surprised at the ease with which the accusation came from her mouth, certain that she’d stutter and stammer her way through the words. While she was certainly roiling with embarrassment, anger, and humiliation at broaching the topic in front of so many people, somewhere she found strength enough to address the matter plainly without crumbling into a mess.

Khelben, on the other hand, was having much more difficulty keeping his emotions in check. He was visibly shaking from the effort, though he at least managed to lift his head up and due her the credit of looking her in the eyes as she finished her sentence. Tears were already beginning to roll gently down his cheeks. “Do you deny any of these charges?”

He shook his head. “No, ma’am.”

“Do you have anything to say in your defense?”

The shackled Xocili was quiet for a long time. When he spoke, his voice was quiet and broken. “What defense could there possibly be? What I did to you… The way I hurt you… there’s hardly words to describe how abhorrent and depraved my actions were, let alone attempt to back them with any sound reasoning. I understand that decades of slavery had taken its toll, and that my loss of control over my own life contributed toward me trying to take control over yours. I understand that I was stressed, fearful of my safety and the safety of my people, and suffering from years of unprocessed trauma… but so were the rest of the Xocili, and no one else fell to the same depths of immorality that I did.”

Khelben was openly crying now, not with any loud hysterics but large tears dripped heavily from his eyes as he forced himself to hold Mercury’s gaze. “Nothing more than excuses. All of those things may have been contributing factors, but that doesn’t absolve me from the responsibility of what I did. Whether consciously or subconsciously, rationally or irrationally, I made that choice… Me. I hurt you in ways that I never knew I was capable of, and I hate myself for it. Every day I hate myself. And I wish there was something, anything, I could do to fix it, to make it better, but I can’t. Stars, I’d give anything to take it all away…”

He reached up and wiped some of the moisture from his face, drawing in a deep breath through his nostrils to try and keep some of his brewing snot at bay. ”You didn’t deserve what I did to you. No person does. I took away your humanity, your dignity… and that’s not even touching on the fact that you’re my sister. All the apologies in the universe won’t make up for my actions… but I am so… so sorry. Even if it means nothing at all to you, I can never tell you how sorry I am, Mercury.”

He cried for another few beats, but was visibly doing his best to stay focused, not wanting to just stand there pitying himself. Shaking his head sadly after a moment, Khelben forced himself to steady his breathing so he could continue. “The only defense I have for myself is that I did not know Trinity – Thana – was the person I had hired. I put out a request for assistance because after I realized you had magic, I knew I couldn’t capture you on my own. But I thought I was hiring a professional, if not necessarily legal, bounty hunter. She came to me in disguise. I had no idea it was her until after she’d already brought you to me, and as soon as I recognized her I did my best to complete the transaction as quickly as possible so that I could get both you and myself away from her.”

When it was clear he had nothing else to say, Mercury regarded him silently. Her expression was not easily read, though there was a great deal of conflicting emotions conferred by her body language. Without commenting on any of what he had said, she lifted her gaze to everyone else in the room. “Does anyone have anything to add, whether in his defense or against it? If you have anything at all to say, either to us or to the accused, now is your only chance. Once a verdict has been reached, we expect the matter to be settled.”

Everyone in the room besides Khelben already knew what the outcome of this trial was going to be. However, unlike herself, Vandrad, and Zemenar, no one else had been given the chance to confront her brother. She knew all of them held strong opinions and nearly all of them had spent the last several months wanting to address him directly, refraining only out of respect for Mercury and not wanting to make things harder on her. She wanted to give them the chance to voice their grievances to Khelben now, to get their thoughts off their chest, whether in his favor or against it. Because after this, she would insist the hostilities drop.

WORDS: 3343 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 9th April 2024, 12:41 pm

Judgement  RJtajUnz_o

Vandrad gave her hand a reassuring squeeze, the smallest of gestures one might give in the situation but one that, she knew, was far deeper than its simplicity. Once she indicated to the guards to have the next brought in, he receded back into his royal position, his eyes focused on the only other prisoner of New Rhaegar as he was brought before them. Khelben looked in better straits than Xavier had been, though why that was beyond Vandrad’s comprehension. Once his escorts had placed him on the landing, they exited the room, leaving him at the mercy of those that knew all too well his crimes. Undoubtedly that was making him nervous, his greeting proper but soft and careful. The king waited for Mercury to speak, the strong and silent foundation of her support as she worked up the courage to finally confront the trauma, the heinous memories, that had been done to her. Once she had addressed the reason for his being there, she opted to speak herself of his actions, running down his crime sheet while the room kept still and focused. But nothing more awful than his acts upon his ship, the assault that had changed their lives – all of their lives – forever.

Mercury was doing remarkably well recalling the timeline, better than Vandrad believed even he would be able to. She spoke of how difficult it would have been to handle Xavier’s trial and he sat there thinking that the former God-King was pittance in comparison to the current trial they were in. But her voice was strong, undoubtedly built upon a façade of anxiousness, shame and fury but firm nonetheless. Khelben was breaking down as the story was retold, nearly crumbling as he quivered and wept where he stood, though he listened with upmost focus. He was given the opportunity to address his actions with some kind of defense and he found himself lacking. Of course he understood the facts that had led to his breaking, the history and threat that he and his people were under acting as a constant, fatal stressor. But he understood that they were just excuses; as no other of his kind had ever given in to their baser, darker urges for the sake of relieving their stress. He’d discovered a darkness in him that he abhorred and he found himself unable to spin himself in any kind of positive light.

Despite them lacking any real healing factor, at least in Vandrad’s opinion, he apologized, lamenting his actions and wishing he could do anything to take back what he had done and just wishing to continually state his sorrow. His pity was nearly overwhelming, especially to the king whose empathic sensations were attempting to overwhelm him with the sorrow, pain and heartbreak that Khelben himself was feeling. However, Vandrad was perfectly capable of brushing off the invading emotions, simply noting their existence and continuing on his same, steely demeanor. The only sign that he wasn’t simply a status was the slight raising of eyebrows when Khelben explained that he hadn’t intentionally hired Thana to kidnap Mercury. He’d put out a notice for a professional bounty hunter to help him wrangle Mercury under control and the former dark mage had come to him under a disguise. Once he’d realized who she was, once she had brought the Silver Wolf Ace to him, he’d very quickly concluded their business and left.

The remarkable part was… it made sense. Khelben, for all his faults, didn’t seem the kind to go searching for someone of Thana’s caliber to help him out. Mostly because there was no telling if she’d honor any kind of agreement made or if she’d break away for her own entertainment’s sake. So his crime of hiring her under false pretenses seemed to be resolved and further cemented Vandrad’s conclusion that his actions in the Rune Knight headquarters were justified. Though he was overwhelmingly happy that he hadn’t been king then; that may have resulted in quite the diplomatic incident.

With his words finished, Mercury turned to the rest of the room to offer any words of defense or condemnation before his sentence was handed down. The room remained still at first before, of all people, Themesycia took a step forward.

“Rape is not something one can easily look past. It is an act that leaves a scar that will remain with those affected for the rest of their lives. At a young age, my father instilled in me a sense of what was right and wrong, as he did with my siblings and upon learning what it was, I abhorred it more than I may even murder. Learning the truth of your actions against Mercury filled me with a rage that I have not felt in a long time, when I learned of similar acts.” She didn’t specify exactly what she meant by that, mostly using it as a baseline to establish her fury. “Were it not for my respect for your family and your people, I would have marched into your cell myself and cut you into ribbons until you had the bare minimum of earthly matter needed to remain alive. And, truthfully, I do not believe I am fully over that inclination,” Themesycia explained, her gaze cold and courting violence as it focused on Khelben.

“However… I also recognize that single mistakes do not make up the matter of a man or woman. Though your actions were despicable and dishonorable, you’ve shown nothing but remorse for them. You have taken steps to try and rectify the damage you have done. You have even put your life on the line for the sake of my family and your own… as well as the planet as a whole. I do not see before me the man that committed these horrifying crimes and its my hope that perhaps that version of you has already perished.” Gently, she gave him a nod, a courteous act that spoke volumes beyond its simple measure. A motion of hope, of faith that Khelben could evolve past his demons and darkness and become someone worth knowing.

She stepped back and gently reached over to lay an encouraging hand on Gren’s shoulder. The former Rune Knight was still and stiff, his eyes narrowed in a scornful stare at the Xocili prisoner. He seemingly shifted, as if trying to will his body forward and partake in the encouragement that Themesycia was trying to offer him. To speak the words that he felt so passionately and dearly, despite knowing that they would offer no motion or movement to his judgement. But the old soldier simply couldn’t find it in himself to speak, a terrible mixture of disgust and rage swallowing up the more rational parts of his mind. With an angry grunt escaping from his nostrils, he turned and walked away from the group towards the entrance, leaving furious and unwilling to accept the inevitable conclusion. Themesycia sighed softly and turned her gaze up to Vandrad and Mercury, giving them a nod to continue. After all, what point was there in allowing the drama to hinder the trial beyond causing trepeditious waves.

Vandrad was… unimpressed. He hated to think that he could lose respect for his father, who had proven himself as close to the perfect paragon as he could imagine. Of course he understood why Gren was belligerently angry; it was only a year ago that Vandrad had left quite the stomping foot trail on the island with his own rage. He had just hoped that Gren would be able to rein himself in for the sake of the trial or, at the very least, voice his anger as a means of starting the healing process. It was a matter that they would certainly have to deal with later. “I’ve spoken my piece to Khelben already and I see no reason to repeat my words now. So unless anyone else feels so inclined, speak now. Otherwise, it is time we bring this matter to a conclusion.”

Words: 1339 / 3,624 | Tag: @Mercury Arseneault @Saffron Remington | © marzia at shine & gs.

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 13th April 2024, 6:32 pm

Mercury Banner
    Mercury didn’t really know what to expect at this point. There was no telling how everyone was going to react to her opening the floor for others to speak their own minds about Khelben’s crimes. Next to no one in the room had ever gotten the chance to confront him, if only because they all knew that doing so would hurt Mercury just as much as it hurt Khelben. Out of respect for her privacy and trauma, they had maintained themselves… but she knew it was a struggle, much more of a struggle than they showed on the surface. They deserved the chance to voice their displeasure freely, before Mercury and Vandrad both would expect them to honor their judgment and drop the matter entirely.

She wasn’t sure who would speak first, but wasn’t surprised that it was Themmy. The former duchess stepped forward to draw attention to herself, giving her overall opinion about rape and her opinion about those who committed it. She even insinuated that she had loved ones in the past that had been victims of assault, though the comment was vague enough that it didn’t leave much to the imagination as to whom she was talking about. The only reason she hadn’t taken vengeance against Khelben was out of respect to his people, and specifically to Mercury and Zemenar. Even then, there were days that she still toyed with the idea. Khelben shrank a bit beneath her gaze, his eyes flicking involuntarily away from time to time… but overall, much like with Mercury, he managed to do her the courtesy of at least giving her his direct attention and accepting her condemnation honestly and openly.

However, she wasn’t simply going to focus on all the bad he’d done. The queen mother said her piece against his actions before turning around and acknowledging the steps he had taken toward redemption. Khelben was clearly ashamed of his actions, and had put his own life on the line not out of any senseless self destructive behaviors, but to do good for others who needed his help. And much like Vandrad himself had told him several months ago, she did not believe Khelben today was the same man that had hurt Mercury. Khelben… didn’t really know what to do with that, or how to react. A mere “Thank you” seemed a contrived response, particularly given that she hadn’t really been complimenting him so much as stating facts as she saw them. In the end he returned her nod with a nervous one of his own, too anxious to speak but still acknowledging her words.

Themmy stepped back and placed a hand on Gren’s shoulder, silently encouraging him to state his piece. The room became even more thick with tension – an impressive enough feat. Everyone knew that Gren’s opinion of Khelben was the strongest, or at least the most hostile. He was constantly needing to be reigned in by others when the subject of Khelben came up, with Themmy often having to run interference to keep him from finding an opportunity to accost the Xocili. He was also one of the most, if not the most, vocally against the chosen outcome of the trial. Gren, more than anyone, needed to get his thoughts out of his head, off his chest, and finally get to let his anger and hatred out before it ate him up from the inside.

So it was disappointing, then, when he instead said nothing. After a moment of struggling to find words, all he could do was let out an angered noise before storming out of the room.

Mercury’s heart sank as she watched him go. She understood, of course. She would never, ever fault Gren for feeling as strongly as he did, knowing that it came from a place of caring about her. He loved her, almost as much as he loved Themmy, and Mercury would never invalidate his feelings on the matter. But… It still hurt. It hurt that he couldn’t approach this in a healthy way to lead toward healing. It hurt that he couldn’t accept the way that she had chosen to approach her own healing, that she had chosen to forgive Khelben and give him a chance. It hurt that he was so focused on his rage and animosity that he actively refused to let go of it, to the point that it was eating him up and doing more harm to himself than anything else, that he couldn’t even stay in the room to support her when she was tackling arguably the most difficult and traumatizing event she’d ever experienced in her lifetime of almost non-stop difficulty and trauma.

“Anyone else..?” she finally asked after Vandrad gave one last chance for others to speak up, sounding more morose than she’d meant to as she turned her attention back to the matter at hand.

This time it was Zemenar who stepped forward – yet another individual whom Mercury hadn’t been sure would have the courage or strength to speak. Her father was arguably in the most difficult position of them all, given his relationship to them both. Khelben looked up at his father, the shame etching deeper around his eyes. Zemenar himself looked like he would rather be anywhere else, but was forcing himself to speak all the same. “I don’t… know what I can say that you haven’t already heard from everyone else,” he admitted quietly, finding it hard to look his own son in the eyes.

“I keep asking myself if there was something I could have done, if there’s something I failed to teach you. Objectively I know that your choices aren’t a reflection of my parenting, but when something this… abhorrent… happens, I don’t think there’s a parent alive that would be able to prevent themselves from wondering if some part of their child’s mistakes are our own fault. A good parent would give anything to protect their children, even after they’ve grown into adults that are responsible for their own actions. Even when they make mistakes, or make choices you don’t agree with, you still want to ease their suffering because you love them, and it’s your job to protect them and give them the tools to flourish, to pick them up and care for them when they fall…”

“But when I found out what you did… When I learned how you hurt your own sister.. My daughter... If you had been any other man, I would have killed you myself.” Zemenar’s anger and frustration finally boiled to the surface then, a rare sight for a man who was nearly always composed and gentle of spirit. Now, he stood there as an avatar of fury, his emotions controlled but no less passionate. Khelben could no longer hold his own gaze steady, dropping his head in shame and succumbing once more to tears while his father continued. “To say that I am disappointed in you doesn’t even begin to cover it. I am ashamed of you. Your mother would be ashamed of you. There are days I don’t even want to call you my son..!”

Tears fell down the older Xocili’s face as he let it all out, his righteous gaze practically boring holes through the younger man. Then, he took a deep steadying breath, closing his eyes for a moment to collect himself. When he spoke again, there was more sorrow in his tone than anger. “But you are my son, and I am always going to love you and want what’s best for you, no matter how difficult you make it to do so. I don’t know that I will ever forgive you for what you did… not truly… But I could never hate you, and knowing that you are actively taking responsibility for what you did gives me hope that we can get through this someday.”

Khelben was a mess, his feet rooted to the floor even as the world around him felt like it was spinning. His father’s words had hit hard, as they should have, and he was doing his best not to whimper like a child but it was difficult. He was visibly fighting to keep himself from becoming a spectacle of self-pity, accepting the condemnation he knew he deserved and allowing himself to feel, but determined not to let his own shame and sorrow become a distraction. He was unable to speak, but gave several small nods of acceptance and understanding. Zemenar looked like he wanted to approach and hug him, but for now he resisted and instead stepped back to where he had been before next to Cyrene, wiping the moisture from his cheeks.

Mercury gave another look around to see if anyone else seemed keen to say anything. When it was clear everyone else was ready, she steeled herself to bring the trial to a close. “Are you ready to accept your punishment?”

“Y-yes..” He replied, his voice quiet but firm.

There was a brief pause. Mercury raised one of her hands, snapping her fingers… and the chains fell from his wrists. “You are free to go, Khelben.”

Khelben blinked down at his hands, his shock and confusion briefly overriding his trepidation. “What..? But…”

“You’ve been imprisoned long enough. All of us have. You’re guilty… everyone in this room is aware of that. I hate you for what you did to me, and a part of me will probably always hate you… But it was imprisonment and abuse that steered you toward those actions. More captivity is not going to solve the problem. It’s not going to help you overcome your demons… and you need as much healing as I do. Maybe more. If we start a kingdom on the foundation of locking away all our criminals and throwing away the key, with no recognition toward genuine repentance, no support for rehabilitation… well, that’s just not the kind of country we want to build.”

She turned back to Vandrad for a moment, her eyes full of emotion as she gave him a soft smile, before returning her attention to the man standing below them. “Besides… you’re my brother. I spent my entire life with no family to call my own, never knowing if my parents still lived, if I even had any siblings… I didn’t know what family truly was until I came here, and was adopted by the du Wolffs. I never, ever dreamed that I would have a family of my own, and now that I do… Well, I’m not letting go of it. We may be broken, and fucked up, and far from perfect, but we are family... and at the end of the day, that means more to me than anything else.”

“You’ve been through enough. I want you to heal, Khelben. I want you to live, and not just an empty shell of a life. I want you to have the opportunity to heal, and to grow, and to experience all that life on Earthland has to offer. I want you to have the chance to find love, to find a purpose and a calling that is your own. I want my child to experience family in a way that I never got the chance to, to have an uncle that they can be proud of.” She pressed a hand against her stomach meaningfully. “I want a brother...”

“So I’m choosing to forgive you. I won’t expect everyone in this room to do the same, but we do expect them to respect this decision and to not harass you about it moving forward, for both of our sakes. As part of your release, you’re expected to continue to see your therapist regularly, but otherwise you’re a free man.”

Khelben had fallen to his knees upon Mercury’s words speaking toward forgiveness, no longer able to keep himself composed. He wept openly. After only a moment of hesitation, Zemenar gently approached and knelt down beside him, pulling him into a hug and just holding him. The queen apparent watched for a couple beats before motioning for Vandrad to give her a hand up. Carefully taking the steps down, she joined them on the lower platform to stand before the two men with an expectant look. When it became apparent that Khelben didn’t know what she was waiting for, she told him with a wry smirk, “Well, stand up, already. I’m not coming down there in my delicate condition.”

Her brother stood shakily to his feet. When she opened her arms to invite him in for a hug, he stared at her in almost disbelief before leaning down to accept it. Khelben was hesitant at first, but the longer she hugged him, the tighter his own embrace became. “I’m so sorry…” he told her again through his tears.

“I know you are.”

“Thank you…”

They held each other for several long moments, and when they eventually parted, Zemanar put his hand on Khelben’s shoulder. “Come on, son. Let’s get you home.”

WORDS: 2165/5508 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 20th April 2024, 3:07 pm

Judgement  RJtajUnz_o

Vandrad had truly hoped that they would be able to get through this with minimal complications. And he supposed, on some level, that had proven true. No punches had been thrown and no vile words had been tossed at Khelben from anyone gathered. Still, Gren’s sudden and emotional departure had been a hard impact for most of them to swallow, most of all Mercury, who was as open and raw as she could be given the circumstances. The king knew that his father would regret his actions, most likely sooner rather than later, but he simply couldn’t get out of his own way. Nevertheless, despite not being there for the sentencing that was quickly approaching, he would be held to the same standard as everyone else. The judgment being passed down would be considered final and no one was to act against it knowingly.

Understandably, Zemenar felt compelled to speak his piece, to put to words his standing and feelings. His emotions quickly bubbled up into anger and shame, lashing out at Khelben for the abhorrent actions he had taken against his own sister, against Zemenar’s daughter. It was rough on everyone to listen to and the rest of the room stood and sat in absolute silence, barely a breath taken as Khelben stood as a quivering mess of tears and shame. But Zemenar took control of his rage and circled back to the fact that despite everything, he would always love Khelben as his son. And seeing how much his son had worked on trying to make himself better, to make up for the damage he had done, gave Khelben hope that they would eventually learn to grow past the tragedy.

Cyrene gently placed a hand on Zemenar’s shoulder, a sign of support and comfort. Mercury once more opened the floor for anyone else to speak, though it seemed everyone that had something to say had already said their piece. With that set, it was time to render judgment to Khelben, with the Xocili queen apparent asking if he was ready. With a soft but resolved voice, the Xocili prisoner stated his preparedness for the verdict. Mercury waited for only a moment before she raised her hand and snapped her fingers, unshackling him from the chains that had been wrapped around him. Khelben was the very picture of shock and awe, looking down at his former shackles and trying to ask the imperative question of why. And Mercury explained that while he was guilty and that she could never truly forgive him for what he had done, she understood what had driven him to snap. Keeping him behind bars wasn’t going to help him grow beyond his past actions. She believed that simply locking him up and forgetting about him despite all the effort he was putting in was not the way they wished to build the foundation of their nation.

Vandrad turned to look at his future wife and gave her an encouraging nod as she continued, explaining that she wanted to know what it was like to have a family. She had been adopted by the du Wolffs, in a manner of speaking and it had awakened in her a desire to have as much family as possible and to keep them no matter what. They had their issues but they were still a family and that had a deeper meaning to her than anything else. All she wanted for him was to heal and to experience a life of freedom like the rest of his people. To yearn for all the things he had never allowed himself to hope for while in captivity under the Nazru. More importantly, she wanted her future child to have an uncle that they could see and know and for herself to have a brother that she could bond with. With that in mind, she had chosen forgiveness over damnation. While she didn’t expect everyone in the room to do the same, she did expect them to honor her choice and treat him with the due diligence that she had granted him.

Khelben collapsed to his knees, his emotions overwhelming him. Zemenar approached and hugged his son close to him. When he saw the motion, Vandrad held out his hand and helped Mercury down until they found themselves standing before the collapsed men, Khelben looking at her with confusion still. Finally she told him to stand up and once he did, she held her arms open for him to hug her, the two siblings tentative at first but growing tighter once they had committed. After several moments of embracing one another, they finally pulled back, with Zemenar insisting that they head home to let him calm down from all of the emotions and activity.

Vandrad watched them go, giving Khelben a nod, which was something of a trademark of the king at that point. The two of them had spoken at length about Vandrad’s feelings towards Khelben and it was clear he, too, felt the same as Mercury. The man deserved a chance to heal and recover from his atrocious actions and prove himself better than who he was before. As Khelben and Zemenar headed for the door at the end of the long room, Themesycia approached the two, wrapping her arms around Mercury and hugging her close. “You made the right choice, my dear. A better choice than I would have surely made,” she said encouragingly to the queen apparent, giving the woman a gentle kiss on the cheek. “I am just sorry that everyone couldn’t be as understanding.”

"Gren will cool down and most likely feel awful for his actions. He just let his anger get the best of him,” Vandrad said, though his tone was gruff with his own disappointment. Though he doubted it would cause any sort of large, impacting rift, it was going to be a sore spot for some time. He turned to look at Mercury and Themesycia. "Overall, a good first gathering. Though it seems we have much more to talk to Xavier about than we previously thought.”

The queen mother nodded gently. “Whoever this Bast woman is, it seems she had knowledge about the creatures that had been the focus of Maker’s machinations. I… don’t believe his words about my father were right though. Bacchus was a kind and caring man. If he had said Beatrix being influenced by the malevolence of this Ulthar, I wouldn’t have batted an eye. Though perhaps that was his influence; of course, that doesn’t make much sense, as Xavier believed you were being influenced as well and Beatrix has long since dead.”

"We need more answers. I’m not keen on letting those cuffs off without reason but it seems we need him to communicate with Bast somehow.” Vandrad had thought the matter of Maker’s fallout had been all but rectified and closed for good. But now, it seemed, they had even more to contend with.

With the ending of Khelben’s trial, the gallery had been opened back up. The large doors at the end had been opened by the guards, allowing Khelben and Zemenar to depart and the few others that had remained to leave as well. Interestingly, a new addition had been waiting with Saffron after she had left earlier. Cedric leaned up from his spot once he saw the doors were open and gestured towards it with his head, inviting Saffron to venture in with him. He’d opted away from his usual gi and for something more street; a baggy pair of dark tactical pants with a belt that had straps hanging down over his hips. He wore a gray dress shirt, with the sleeves rolled up beyond his elbows and a black shoulder holster strapped around his chest. As he approached the remaining three royal members, he gestured behind him. “It seems I arrived late for the pageantry.”

"I would have been surprised to see you at all, given your dislike of Xavier,” Vandrad said with a slight scoff.

“Yes, well, he isn’t walking free so I’ve no reason to be upset. Your grace,” he said, taking Mercury’s hand with his own and planting a kiss on top of it. “You’re looking as radiant as ever. Queen mother, you as well.”

“And you look like the door guard at an underground gambling establishment. A look that is working quite well for me,” Themesycia purred with a playful smirk, giving him a once over.

“Walking around looking like I’m about to compete in a martial arts tournament at any moment ironically garners more attention than this, if you would believe it,” Cedric commented, gesturing to the outfit.

"If you are done ladling your obnoxious charm everywhere,” Vandrad interrupted. "We learned some things from Xavier’s testimony. Things about the power Maker had attempted to gain control of.”

Cedric frowned. “From Xavier? That’s… odd. Those two never met, did they?”

"No, it seems that there was a connection beyond that. Information you undoubtedly will want to hear.”

The former Dread Master nodded. “Fair enough. I’ve also come for the sake of deeper investigation. I reached out to Mythal and asked that his two guardian angels drop by as soon as possible. Figured we could use the meeting room.”

Vandrad’s eyes narrowed slightly in curiosity. "Ruman and Izrael? Why would you want to summon them?” Already the king was turning and heading back towards the stairs, to take the more direct route to the meeting room that was a short ride down. He held his hand for Mercury to help her up the stairs as Themesycia walked beside them.

“Well, to put it quite bluntly, Vandrad; we need to know if they have any information they can provide for helping you take some of Faera’s power into the Ark,” Cedric explained, following the royal trio. “We were hoping to use Shepard to do that but that didn’t go quite the way we hoped. And now that Ruman and Izrael are, supposedly, on our side of things, it seems unkosher to suggest one of them sacrifice their life for the sake of giving ourselves a weapon. I thought, perhaps, they might have another idea.”

Words: 1695 / 5319 | Tag: @Mercury Arseneault @Saffron Remington | © marzia at shine & gs.

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 21st April 2024, 6:17 pm

Mercury Banner
    As Mercury watched Khelben and her father leave, she suddenly realized how stiff she was, like she’d been holding her breath for some time without really realizing. Even knowing what the course of action was going to be, and despite how much she’d genuinely meant all the things she’d said to him, it still didn’t take away from the anxiety of the moment. Themmy must have sensed it, the queen mother approaching and pulling Mercury into a hug which the younger woman reciprocated gratefully. A slow sigh worked its way from her lips as they held each other, Themmy reassuring her that she’d made the right choice and expressing her sorrow about the small amount of drama that had occurred during the proceeding.

Vandrad was sure Gren would regret his actions soon enough, and Mercury was sure that was true. It didn’t make it hurt any less for the time being, of course, and she was sure the former Rune Knight would likely come and apologize to her later. She nodded quietly, not really sure what else to say on the matter. Thankfully, they moved the conversation along to Xavier, which was somehow an easier subject for her to digest at the moment. They were all in agreement that they would have to speak to Bast sooner or later if they wanted any answers, particularly since the claim didn’t seem to hold much weight given the kind of man Bacchus was. But he’d had too many other truths in his testimony, things he shouldn’t have known about, and until proven otherwise… well, they couldn’t entirely rule out the other things he’d said.

It was around then that Cedric strolled in the door alongside Saffron. Mercury was as surprised to see him as the blonde had been, nearly everyone knowing that he hadn’t had much interest in being present for the occasion because his amount of care for anything to do with Xavier was in the negatives. He was dressed more like an agent than a martial artist, and Themmy wasn’t the only one who noticed how well it was working for him. He must have caught her eying him – not that she’d been trying to hide it – the man taking her hand to put a small kiss on the back of it. “Flatterer,” she teased, though she was no less pleased and tickled by his compliment.

There was a brief back and forth between the former Dread Master and Themmy, complete with Saffron groaning and rolling her eyes, before Vandrad interjected. Naturally, Cedric was confused to hear Maker’s name crop up in relation to the imprisoned Rhaegarian. He would surely be involved in that particular development in some way, but first he admitted that he had come to talk to them about his own investigation that he was running. One that involved the two Trumpets that had recently allied themselves to Mythal, whom Cedric had asked to have meet with everyone on the island. When questioned about it, he insisted that they needed to pivot in terms of how they were going to utilize the Ark to help with Faera. Since Shepard was dead, and Ruman and Izrael were now allies, they were left with very few options for ways to make their powers useful in the battle ahead. At this point, the only thing he could think of was asking them for advice or suggestions.

“Oh good, they’re going to be real pleased to hear about that,” Mercury replied with a snort as she held Vandrad’s arm for support while they walked. Ruzatz had made it very clear a long time ago that there were virtually no angels, demons, or gods that would have a positive or even neutral reaction to the knowledge that there was an Ark user out and about, let alone two of them. The Prime of Lust had taken it relatively well, most likely only because he knew he didn’t have to fear Vandrad or Cedric coming after him, but even then the subject had still been an uncomfortable one for him to discuss.

Saffron shrugged. “Well, if they’re supposedly on our side now, they’re gonna find out sooner or later. Probably best to rip the bandaid off ourselves instead of having them find out by accident and think we were hiding it from them, y’know?”

“I suppose.” Mercury had always been the sort to keep her card to her chest. You can’t unsay something once it was said, and she still wasn’t entirely sure how much the two could be trusted, no matter what Mythal and Ryori said. But at the same time, she wasn’t as opinionated on the whole Faera situation, save for against the goddess herself after their last encounter so many years ago. If nothing else, they were sure to learn more about Faera, the Trumpets, the Ark, or possibly all three.

It was a short walk to the meeting room, where the five of them would wait for the guests of the hour to arrive. Mercury briefly thought about sending a message to Gren, knowing the man would want to be present for anything involving Faera and her associates… but ultimately she chose not to reach out. He probably was still cooling off somewhere, and truthfully she wasn’t sure she was ready to see him just yet. So instead, she had Vandrad help her into a chair so she could rest her feet.

Since they presumably had a couple minutes to wait, Saffron leaned against the table next to the couple. “So, uh… that was… a lot,” the blonde said, obviously referring to the trial that she had been present for. Her violet eyes flicked softly between Mercury and Vandrad, lingering more on the latter. She’d known that the king, in particular, had taken Xavier’s offense against Saffron fairly personally, more upset by his deceit than any actions taken against himself. The details that Xavier had provided had rattled her, let alone the rest of them. So, she figured it was an appropriate time to step out of her usual, carefree habits to be serious for a moment and check on them. “You guys alright?”

WORDS: 1027/6535 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 23rd April 2024, 3:28 pm

Judgement  RJtajUnz_o

“I don’t think any of us are willing to trust that they are fully on our side yet,” Vandrad said, his tone heavy but not biting. As a man who had fought countless battles, rose through the ranks of the military, he was not prone of simply believing anyone’s word simply because they spoke it, especially former enemies. Mythal’s ability to divulge the truth had proven unparalleled but that didn’t mean it was infallible. Faera was just the kind of devious deity to try and find a way to get around that. After all, she had been inside of Mythal’s head – maybe she got a sneak preview of what his adoptive brother would be able to do. “However, Saffron is right. We’ve been made painfully aware of the vehement hatred the immortals and their followers harbor for the Ark and, by extension, it’s users. One was bad enough; I can only imagine they will be outraged that two have access to it.”

“Well, I don’t know if I’d include Ruzatz and them in that overarching belief. Though perhaps the Prime Sin of Lust might feel a bit differently if he knew how well trained I am and you are becoming,” Cedric commented, playfully but not lacking substance. Self preservation extended to every living being and surely Ruzatz would be, at the very least, concerned about the growing ability of the Ark users. “But I doubt they’d attempt anything against you or I; not with them trying to prove themselves trustworthy.”

“Deceit can only extend so far, my dear Cedric. Lines may be crossed but there is only so far a person can break, even an angel,” Themesycia commented.

That seemed the end of the conversation for the moment as they made their way through the inner workings of the manor. After a short walk, they found themselves in the meeting room that had been utilized far more times than most other places on the island, save for the training area. As everyone settled in, Saffron came over to Vandrad and Mercury and began, ruefully, to inquire about their feelings regarding Xavier’s trial. “Taking advantage of you and Mercury are my largest gripes with Xavier,” Vandrad said plainly, though his context was far more compassionate. “But, and this is not to excuse his actions, I understand why I felt the need to hide his true nature. It takes a rude awakening for some men and women to realize the folly of their previous actions, of their former selves. And when faced with who they were before, they can choose to run from it, to pretend it never existed and start fresh. And as much as I hate to say it,” he said carefully, turning his gaze towards Saffron. “Sometimes it takes someone else to bring out the better parts of their nature that had been long buried.”

“However, as we’ve discussed, he had plenty of opportunities to make things right and stumbled at every juncture, save taking my life. Yet maybe his mistakes were brought on by deceit beyond even his understanding. Whoever this Bast woman is, she sounds far more informed on the greatest aspects of our universe than even Xavier understood.”

Cedric had to put in quite the effort to keep from rolling his eyes and scoffing. Seated a few chairs down with his arms crossed, the former Dread Master opted not to comment on the matter. His opinion of Xavier was simple; wasted space. As far as he was concerned, he’d abused the trust of a proper Fairy Tail mage and Ace and made an attempt on a sovereign’s life. The fact that he was still breathing was more remarkable than anything else. Perhaps he was allowing his own, personal feelings for Saffron to influence his emotions towards severity but he didn’t seem to care.

A plume of dark energy bubbled up from the ground near the end of the table, expanding into an orb of shimmering darkness and violet hue. The portal steadied and the two Trumpets stepped out from its depths, placing themselves fully on the solid floor they’d visited not even days prior. As the portal snapped shut behind them, Ruman fully set his gaze on Vandrad and Mercury. “Your majesties,” he stated politely, bowing his head in regal recognition of their titles. Izrael, despite her usual thorniness, followed suit before returning to a demeanor of disinterest. “Mythal informed us that you’d like to speak with us concerning a strategy against the Dark Mistress.”

“Spare the formalities,” Vandrad stated. “This conversation will take twice as long if you keep using majesties, graces and all of that. Vandrad and Mercury will suit us just fine.” He already knew Mercury would agree with him, the Xocili even more on edge about being royalty than he was. At least he had the background for it. “The matter we wish to discuss does revolve around a strategy for Faera but it’s far more complicated than that…”

“Mostly because our main weapon we plan to use against her is so despised by you and yours that even mentioning the Ark of the Dread Masters makes the skin prickle,” Cedric chimed in, his back to Ruman and Izrael as he began to speak but fully turned as he unveiled the name in full. He didn’t help the matter by showcasing his usual, cocky smirk as he looked between the two Trumpets for their reactions.

And it was visceral. Vandrad was already narrowing his eyes at the back of Cedric’s head in annoyance, frustrated that the former Dread Master had opted to jump into the topic so carelessly without paving a careful road. Both Ruman and Izrael stiffened in recognition and their demeanors – one of a teenager and one of proper etiquette – each changed to that of similar surprise and anger. “The Ark of the Dread Masters was lost with Marka Ragnos. None have managed to control it since him.”

“Not lost. More put on hiatus. Until his ancestor and his genetic clone came into power.” Cedric added with pleasure, gesturing to Vandrad and then himself in time with his words. “Surprise.”

“Cedric!” Vandrad snapped, rising to his feet quickly and angrily. “You forget yourself.”

“There is no easy way to break the news, Vandrad. We might as well rip the band aid off now and see if their so-called allegiance is as firm and believable as they make it out to be,” Cedric explained. Still his gaze remained forward, studying the angel’s faces with wicked amusement. “After all, the Ark is the ultimate taboo according to them. The hardest slap humanity has ever delivered to the gods and devils. If they are still loyal to Faera, duty demands they try and end us here and now.”

Despite his extravagant display of showmanship that was greatly unappreciated, Vandrad’s glare slowly lifted from the back of Cedric’s face and looked towards Ruman. The large Trumpet looked beside himself with offense, as if the former Dread Master had delivered a personally scathing insult to his very being – which perhaps he had. The air of tension that hadn’t fully taken root was beginning to tighten around everyone in the room.

“The Ark… is still accessible…” Ruman spoke softly, his tone low and menacing. “Do you understand the ramifications of what this means?”

“Well-“

“Enough out of you,” Vandrad snapped, coming around the table quickly and placing himself beside Cedric to stare at Ruman. “I won’t pretend this is easy news to swallow. I also won’t pretend to understand the full depth of what it means to have access to the Ark. My education on Marka Ragnos is somewhat recent and lacking. Both myself and Gren were unaware of any connection to him or his Dread Masters until this one revealed himself and spoke on the matter.”

“Lord Scourge the Dread Master,” Izrael finally spoke, focusing her gaze at Cedric as he turned to look at her with the small showing of surprise. “Don’t believe we weren’t aware of the Dread Masters still infecting this world with their filth.”

“Is it filthy to stand up to immortal beings that treat humans like pets? Does it make us filthy to fight back against oppressors who would step on us like we’re nothing but ants? If you so, you may as well call me the crust of this planet,” Cedric hissed.

Izrael huffed furiously from her nostrils, eyes blazing with anger. But, surprisingly, that rage began to settle at a remarkable speed. “As if. I’m not giving you grief because you stood up against the other pains in the ass. Faera – the original Faera – was always a supporter of those that would protect themselves against the more corrupt of our kind. Plus those assholes let her go to Kingdom Darkness without so much as an argument. They believed her role to be minimal in the grand scale of things and simply agreed without even offering up themselves. They’re just as responsible for what Faera has become, for the creation of the Dark Mistress.” She let out a soft sigh from her nostrils as she found her balance. “Plus we’re informed enough to know that you’re not with the Dread Masters anymore. But the Ark is dark and dangerous, composed of essences and powers that humanity doesn’t understand. That we don’t understand.”

Cedric was momentarily stunned. He had been expecting another verbal clash, not unlike the one he’d had with Eden. But the way Izrael, between the two of them, had settled herself had taken him by surprise. Maybe he didn’t need to come in as hostile as he had unintentionally planned. “No one is doubting that, trust me. I’ve trained with the Ark for most of my life and I know it’s not something to take lightly. But it’s ability to take control and turn divine or demonic energy back against the original user is exactly what we need against Faera. The problem is to harness that kind of energy requires a sacrifice of someone within that realm. We’d been planning to use it against Shepard, since he seemed so gung-ho to pick a fight. Obviously we can’t do that now. Naturally, before everything that happened, we figured you two would be a back up but…”

“Are you suggesting that one of us sacrifice ourselves to that abhorrent power?” Ruman snapped, his eyes snapping to Cedric.

“No,” Vandrad spoke up once more. “You claim that you wish to help us, help Mythal, in the fight against Faera. And despite your previous position, we’ve agreed to give you both a chance to prove that you’re trustworthy. But we are not ignorant enough to believe that you would go to that extent.” Vandrad inhaled slowly. “I fought for a long time against using the Ark. Its abilities felt wrong, brought out a side of me that I didn’t enjoy. A savageness that was nearly beyond control. But whether I want it or not, we both can access and utilize the Ark and if it provides a viable means of bringing down Faera once and for all, then I’m ready to use each and every weapon I can. We brought you here to tell you ahead of time of its existence so you won’t be blindsided. That and we hoped you could provide some insight into how we might find a means to gain control of Faera’s power without needless sacrifice.”

Ruman was… quiet, for several moment as he considered the information, as well as Vandrad’s words. With each passing second, his rapid inhales settled into a more controlled rhythm. Finally, after what felt like an hour of waiting for a response, he lifted his head. “I am sorry… but I cannot provide aid if it will benefit the Ark. It is clear that the majority of your strength has come at the aid of stolen Freasdalian power already and I refuse to add to it.”

The mention of a name might have sparked curiosity in Vandrad and in most circumstances, he would have inquired to know more. But his attention had been stolen by the insinuation – no, the outright accusation that his power had come solely as a benefit from the Ark. Despite trying to be diplomatic and proper, at least on his end of things, offense rippled over his features. “My strength has come as a result of my own training, of my own magic. The Ark was only added on in recent years.” He spoke slowly, still trying to keep some semblance of regal poise.

“Then it was aiding you without your knowledge. No matter the case, your power is a result of the Ark’s influence and nothing more.”

Izrael looked up at Ruman like he had several heads, absolutely aghast and shocked. The corner of Vandrad’s lip twitched along with his brow as a familiar vein began to surface on his temple. “I will not suffer asseverations to my abilities without consequence, Trumpet.” Vandrad leaned forward a bit, a challenging pose as he glared up at Ruman.

The Trumpet met him in kind, leaning forward and down towards the king. “Then consider my words a challenge to prove me wrong.”

Vandrad bared his teeth. “Name a time and a place.”

“There is an old, forgotten coliseum in a subspace that was used eons ago for sport between the gods. It is abandoned and free of collateral. If you agree, I can take us all there momentarily.”

Vandrad knew he should probably take a step back. Pull himself out of his anger, take a deep breath and collect himself while discussing the matter with Mercury and Themesycia. But his ego had taken a large hit there and while he usually could stomach that kind of talk from most people, something about the way Ruman had phrased his words had pushed him beyond the brink of reasoning. “Do it.”

Ruman nodded and extended his hand outwards away from him. Another portal formed from the ground up, solidifying into its full form. Ruman held Vandrad’s gaze for a moment longer before walking towards and into the portal. Izrael chased after him, looking more confused than anything else. Vandrad huffed at the portal before glancing over at Mercury and Themesycia. For a moment, an apologetic look crossed his face, a momentary lapse of rage for consideration to shine through. But then his features hardened again and he walked into the portal.

Themesycia sighed softly as she walked over to help Mercury up. “Well, this is proving more eventful than anticipated,” she said as she took up residence beside Mercury and led her towards the portal.

“Yeah, I’m… honestly surprised. I honestly thought I would be the one picking a fight again,” Cedric said.

“Not for lack of trying,” Themesycia chastised him before moving into the portal with Mercury and Cedric bringing up the rear.

Words: 2473 / 7792 | Tag: @Mercury Arseneault @Saffron Remington | © marzia at shine & gs.

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 23rd April 2024, 7:21 pm

Mercury Banner
    The meeting room was becoming practically a second home for the lot of them, or so Saffron felt. How many gatherings they’d held in there by now, she couldn’t be sure, but at this rate she could only assume there were many more to come. She leaned on the table next to the royal couple, she asked them about the trial. Vandrad was quick to remind her that really his only issue with Xavier had been his treatment of her and Mercury. The rest, while not necessarily honorable, was at least an understandable reaction to facing their past actions – or running from them, as the case had been with the former god king.

She crossed her arms and glanced away with a slightly sour look when he turned to her, touching once again on her potential influence on the man in question. Thankfully, Vandrad didn’t linger on that note. The important thing, he concluded, was that the needed to find a way to communicate with Bast. Everything seemed to come back to her. “Yeah, well… when you decide to take a crack at locating her, I want to be there. I’ve got more than a few words for her.” Yes, Saffron was still quite angry with Xavier’s one time benefactor. Goddess or no, she had every intention of making her opinion of the woman known directly to her face.

“I’m sure we can make that happen,” Mercury told her. Saffron deserved answers and the chance to confront Bast as much as the rest of them. So, unless Vandrad felt differently – and she’d be surprised if he did – then it seemed a reasonable accommodation to make, so long as everything went according to plan. Which rarely happened, in all fairness.

Cedric was unusually quiet on the subject, though at this point there wasn’t much he could say that he hadn’t already voiced. Everyone present was well aware of where he stood on the matter. Giving Mercury a nod and clapping Vandrad briefly, if gently, on the shoulder by way of encouragement and solidarity on the topic, Saffron pulled away and moved around the table to sit next to the former Dread Master. No sooner had she sat down than a portal made of darkness materialized before them at the end of the table, and out walked the two Trumpets.

Vandrad was quick to dismiss the formalities, which Mercury nodded her agreement to. It didn’t really make sense for her anyway since she wasn’t technically royalty yet. The king started to get into the reason for calling them, working toward a path to gently break the news to the two angels… only for Cedric to turn right around, literally, and dump the matter at their feet without preamble. Mercury shook her head lightly even as Saffron audibly groaned and raised her hand to rub at her forehead. Otherwise, both women remained silent and let the two Ark users run the conversation, which… was really more of Cedric running things in one line and Vandrad chastising him for his lack of tact. The scolding did little to deter the former Dread Master, of course.

The news was about as well received as Saffron had suggested it would be. Up until now, Ruman had always been the more cordial of the two while Izrael had always come across as a bit of a punk. Now, the former was simmering with anger while the latter looked more stunned than anything else. Vandrad attempted to reign things back in, giving a more academic explanation of the situation. It was then that Izrael turned her attention to Cedric, correctly calling him by his former name and affiliation. A heated back and forth ensued between the two, leaving Mercury and Saffron both on edge from the rising hostilities.

Thankfully, it culminated into nothing. Or at least, not yet. Izrael miraculously calmed herself down, taking the high road and explaining that Faera was never against humanity sticking up for itself, even against the other gods and demons. By extension, the same was presumably true of the two Trumpets before them. Additionally, she knew that Cedric wasn’t a Dread Master any longer, but that didn’t change the fact that the Ark was as unknown as it was dangerous. Her ease was at least enough to pull Cedric back a bit, as he explained their predicament less aggressively.

Unfortunately, his explanation only served to set Ruman off more. This time it was Vandrad who interjected, laying out their hopes that the Trumpets could help them find a solution that didn’t involve killing one of them. “Our next thought after Shepard was killed was to try and target Hugo, but as far as we’re aware he’s still in Kingdom Darkness and not likely to show his face any time soon,” Mercury added during the silent moment when Ruman was considering Vandrad’s words. She wasn’t entirely sure where Ruman and Izrael stood on the subject of the newest Trumpet, but if nothing else bringing him up as a potential target was sure to give them at least somewhat of a read on their stance.

Ultimately, Ruman denied the request to help them, firm in his stance to not make the Ark more powerful than it already was. He even went so far as to flat out dismiss whatever strength Vandrad had as a result of the Ark and little more. Mercury slowly lofted a brow in the Trumpet’s direction, a mixture of offended on Vandrad’s behalf but also almost impressed at Ruman’s boldness in poking the sleeping bear.

“Shouldn’t have said that,” Saffron commented quietly, though the room was so thick with silence that even her muttered comment wouldn’t be missed by anyone present. It all came crumbling down from there. Vandrad and Ruman had quite the back and forth, and it took no time at all for a very real challenge to be issued. “Oh my gods, could you guys sheathe your dicks for five seconds…?” The exasperation in her voice was palpable, though layered beneath it was a firm presence of anxiety of where this was headed.

Vandrad accepted the proposal. “I guess not,” the blonde murmured irritably.

“I’m not complaining.” Mercury was already accepting Themmy’s hand up from her seat as they moved to follow everyone else through the portal, Izrael looking just as surprised and confused as Cedric was. It was clear from the queen apparent’s tone that she was looking forward to the battle, and not just because she liked a good fight. There was a dark undertone that betrayed she was very much looking forward to watching her fiance prove the Trumpet wrong, the Xocili standing by her man and supporting him fully in his endeavor to feed his own pride and honor.

By this point, Saffron had given up on trying to reason with anyone, not that she’d been trying very hard to begin with. With a resigned sigh, she took up the rear with Cedric and followed him in, with only one final, teasingly dry comment before they passed through. “Never thought I’d see the day where you were the reasonable, cool headed one.”

WORDS: 1192/7727 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 26th April 2024, 8:03 pm

Judgement  RJtajUnz_o

The portal of darkness emerged to a realm beyond anything they had seen before, though perhaps, of all people, Mercury would be able to see some resemblances. Not unlike Maker’s pocket realm, composed completely of dark-like energy to simulate a blanket of space, the background for the new realm was similarly made up of one single focus. But the backdrop was covered in a swirling green and yellow smog that blanketed everything beyond the place they had come to exit, covering whatever may or may not lie beyond the scope of the so-called battleground. As for the coliseum, it was unlike anything on Earthland; a large structure that looked like an oversized spinning top, complete with center pillar. Several large mounds of rocket dotted the battleground, seemingly made of the same material but in its raw state. The group found themselves exiting onto a floating ring made of the stone-like substance, a set up for an audience to sit and take in the sight of the fights below.

Ruman was walking towards the edge and Izrael ran up to him quickly. “What in the darkness are you doing, Ruman? You were the one that told me we were supposed to be friendly and cooperative with these humans. I don’t think picking a fight with the Darkness King’s adoptive brother is a quick way to build trusting bonds.”

“Trust me, Izrael. I know what I’m doing,” The Trumpet informed his compatriot, turning just enough to look over his shoulder at her and nod. Then he leapt from the edge towards the battlefield, the ground rumbling from the force of his jump but remaining still nevertheless.

She watched him with a scowl, though it was mixed with concern and confusion. "You aren’t going to try and make this an unfair fight, are you?” She turned to Vandrad as he approached her, already taking off his kingly attire and dressing down into his armor. Luckily, Vandrad basically had free reign to deign what was the appropriate attire to rule and, as such, had decided that his armor would be the focal point of his outfit. It wasn’t flashy and gauche and it sent a clear message; he was always ready for a battle.

She scoffed lightly. “Fighting isn’t my thing, not like it is for Ruman.”

As Themesycia helped Mercury to a comfortable seat and then took her place beside her, Cedric walked to the edge and leaned over to look at the endless void of emerald smog below them. “So this thing is just… suspended in the air. I’m assuming magic is holding it up.”

“Old magic. The Divines brought this realm together as a joint act of celebration. A show of triumph over the banishment of their destructive sibling. This place was an opportunity for the immortals to test their mettle or the strength of their chosen champions. Ruman and I only got a few chances to see it before…” Izrael’s voice trailed off. It hadn’t been long after Ataxia had been sealed away that the other gods and goddesses had realized that Kingdom Darkness was spiraling out of control without a vanguard. And in the end, they had joined Faera in journeying to the realm, locked away from the rest of reality.

“That must have been a sight to see,” Cedric commented idly, even as Vandrad finished discarding the rest of his adornments. “Don’t worry, I’ll keep an eye on her,” he said, nodding to Izrael.

"You won’t need to,” Vandrad said simply. Despite his frustration and annoyance with the other Trumpet, he seemed content to take Izrael’s word on remaining passive. Pulling his gloves tight, he glanced backwards at Mercury and Themesycia and then launched himself from one hovering structure to the other.

When he landed, he found himself alone… for a moment. The only sound he heard was his boots meeting the solid surface. He had but a second to begin his visual search for the Trumpet of Triumph before the larger angel was upon him. He seemingly came out of nowhere, materializing out of the ether as if by divine command. His overly-sized fist slammed into Vandrad’s chest with a thunderous crack and the King of New Rhaegar was sent hurtling backwards through the air. Head over feet he spun before slamming into a rocky outcrop, the impact causing it to shatter as a crater viciously was carved in by Vandrad’s body. Stone dust kicked up as pieces of the rock began to fall, disturbed from their eon-long rest. Vandrad grimaced as he wrenched himself out of the him-shaped indent in the rock, only for Ruman to already be back upon him.

The king pushed off from the rock, leaping into the air in a bid to get above the assaulting angel. But Ruman caught him; his large hand wrapping around Vandrad’s leg and bringing him to a dead stop. Down Vandrad was pulled as Ruman spun the mortal man easily around before throwing him once more, sending the king towards yet another rock and breaking it into pieces. Vandrad went through that structure of stone, crashing down onto the surface of the battleground behind it.

“If this is the power the Ark bestows upon you, I am miserably disappointed,” Ruman commented from his place, his voice carrying over the flat land easily.

Vandrad didn’t answer, standing back to his feet and sneering at the man. He could feel the rage and hatred bubbling up inside of him, the Ark demanding penance be drawn from the divine creature to satiate its bloodlust. He could even feel the throbbing in his forehead as the Mark attempted to manifest itself without his permission. But Vandrad was not the novice in control like he used to be and very easily forced the damned magic back into its corner to stay. Perhaps a foolish move -- Ruman hit like a freight train and the king could feel he was still holding much more inside. However, he refused to give the angel the satisfaction of gloating if Vandrad was forced to rely on the Ark to win.

For a brief, fleeting moment, he considered using his Aspirant form. The ability to connect to the Weave would, undoubtedly, prove not only beneficial but could possibly even overwhelm Ruman. But that would still be relying on something other than his own, true power. The one that he had spent a lifetime building and forging through hardships, grit and battles uncounted. No, he would beat this sententious seraphim his own way.

Ruman once more blinked out and into existence, only fleeting particles of darkness and darklight left in his wake of manifestation. That large fist once more struck Vandrad, though this time his own limbs had moved in to put up a barrier for the impact, though he was sent flying up into the air still. Around and around Vandrad went as Ruman shot up towards up, looking to complete a combination move and hammerblow the king back towards the ground. However, as he came within proximity of being able to hit Vandrad, the mortal man let out a roar. Magical energy exploded out from him as cerulean light filled the angel’s gaze. He let out a yelp of surprise, forced backwards from the eruption of light and shockwave of the magical pressure. That was quickly followed by pain and an agonized groan escaping his mouth in spite of any effort. His eyes looked down to find Vandrad’s knee buried in his gut. Just as quickly as it found itself there, it moved back and then snapped out into a full kick, hitting Ruman at full force and driving him back into the ground.

The loud crash seemed to shake the entirety of the realm as ancient dust was kicked up once more. Though despite the heavy impact, the floor itself did not break from Ruman’s impact. Large mitts pressed down onto the surface to heave the massive angel back up, even as Vandrad came down and landed across from him. The king had changed. His dark hair was now a deep, ocean blue color, long with his brows and eyes. His body mass had increased as well; his muscles were large and expanded, causing the material covering his form to stretch to its absolute limit. With a cold, calculated stare, he fell into a fighting stance as his aura blustered around him like a raging storm of sapphire light.

“So this is your true power then…” Ruman said, his tone almost impressed. “A shame such awesome strength comes on the back of terrible power.”

"I won’t tell you again, angel. What you’re seeing is my power alone. Feel free to come and gain that revelation firsthand,” Vandrad stated, proudly inviting further trial of his ability.

Ruman hummed in thought. “Very well. If you will use your full power… then so shall I.” His eyes closed slowly as he focused inwards. The dust that his body had kicked, that had begun to settle, suddenly began to vibrate on the ground. The entirety of the realm darkened, as if the light had been drawn into him and snuffed out. The air grew thick and heavy, a wind rippling out from the angel as he unshackled the full force of his magic. From the center of his chest, a glowing red circle appeared, highlighting a very dark orb buried beneath the flesh of his pectorals. Electricity began to tear through the air around him, black and purple bolts of charged energy that streaked and crackled loudly. Suddenly a wave of darkness erupted from him, slamming into Vandrad and forcing him back a step from his spot. He winced from the impact, feeling the massive increase in power just from the eruption that had struck him. Billowing black and purple energy rippled over Ruman’s form, outlining his entire body with its terrifying power. His eyes finally slid open, glowing a bright purple, with his iris nearly lost within the pool of energy.

“Trumpet of Triumph,” Ruman announced, his voice booming throughout the realm, his deep tone vibrating through each and every person’s bones. Vandrad scowled as the angel rose slowly into the air before him, the cursed electricity shooting off of body and traveling over the ground around him. “Now I will dismantle that cursed Ark with my bare hands.”

The king scoffed. "Bold talk. But let’s see if that flashy show actually meant anything!” Vandrad’s body coiled slightly before he launched himself up towards Ruman. He came soaring in with a heavy punch, only for Ruman to pivot his body and avoid the attack completely, leaving Vandrad’s body turned and open.

“Know when you are outmatched, mortal!” Ruman snapped, his large right arm cocking back and then soaring forward. But to the surprise of those watching, Vandrad’s thrown fist pulled back, despite his body still being turned, and caught the punch, his fingers taking a tight grip on two of the angel’s knuckles. His hand flexed, tightening his hold as he pivoted his head slightly to glare past his hand at Ruman, eyes flashing with azure light and vicious intent. Ruman grunted and tried to pull himself free, only for Vandrad to yell with effort and swing his body around to slam his leg into Ruman’s side, causing his body to jerk to the side and bend in the same direction.

With the angel’s defenses seemingly off guard, if only temporarily, Vandrad took advantage of the opening. His left arm lashed in quickly with punches, a literal blur of movement as he peppered the angel’s torso with dozens of punches over the tense seconds that he held him in place. His last punch cocked up into an uppercut as he released Ruman, sending the angel’s body up slightly. "Outmatched?! I’ll show you just what a mortal can do!” Vandrad roared angrily, his right arm pulling back far and dramatically. His entire body moved with the throwing punch, carrying the full weight of his body and magic with it.

A chuckle… and an ominous, terrible sense. Vandrad barely had time to alter his body’s movement as a globe of compressed, compacted darkness erupted from Ruman’s hand towards him. He avoided it but just being in the proximity of it caused the elastic-like armor on his arm to dissolve into nothing and leaving a painful burning sensation along the limb. The king jerked himself away as the magical attack soared past him and crashed into one of the rocky outcroppings on the ground below. The rock lit up and then exploded into glittering, spiraling particles, leaving no trace of the terrain from before. Vandrad looked at the result of the attack before he turned his attention back to Ruman, only to find the angel’s leg coming down towards him. It hit him full force, shooting Vandrad down into the ground in a blur of movement and cacophonous roar of his impact.

“What the hell?!” Cedric snapped, having jumped to his feet when the attack had come crashing into the rock. “That was…”

“Dreadether, yes,” Izrael said, nodding softly. “Its pure form from the depths of Kingdom Darkness. Ruman can use it sparingly when he is at his full power.”

Vandrad grimaced as he pushed himself to his feet after his hard landing. He’d, too, sensed the variation of dreadether, now that his instincts had settled from the near impact with peril. As he stood to his feet, his armor scuffed and cracked all over, Ruman slowly settled back on the ground. "He’s nothing like he was before…” Vandrad muttered to himself, surprised at just how alarmed he was.

Ruman raised his hand, magical energy forming in his open palm as he unleashed a volley of darkness globes, thankfully not powered by dreadether. Vandrad leapt away from the assault, narrowly avoiding them as they slammed into the ground and exploded. The king had barely found his footing again when Ruman charged him once more, zipping across the battlefield and closing the distance between them in seconds. He threw one punch, which Vandrad brought up his own arm to block before being forced to bring up his other arm to block a kicked lashing towards his head. Then two follow up punches that Vandrad managed to catch in his own hands, holding them in place. "After all that lofty talk of the Ark being cursed, you use dreadether yourself? How hypocritical.” the king chastised the angel through gritted teeth.

“What I use is the purest form of dreadether, to show you just how terrifying and accursed it can be. It will not save us from Faera; it will only bring about a worse destruction,” Ruman growled back before his leg snapped up, slamming into Vandrad’s gut and sending him flying backwards. His hand snapped forward and unleashed a beam of magic to follow up his melee, the attack exploded against Vandrad and increased his velocity as he soared backwards. He slammed into one rock, ripping through it before doing the same twice more to two other formations. The fourth managed to remain standing, though the king made quite the crater out of its stony side. There Vandrad hung, arms and legs buried in the monolith as Ruman stared at him. “And what of you? You’re fighting simply to prove me wrong, that your precious Ark has no hold on you. Falsely believing that your magical prowess can compete with a Trumpet’s will. I will protect this world and every other from the same corruption that took my Mistress, that threatens my king! That is my true cause.”

His eyes flashed and his arms began to rise up once more. The ground rumbled beneath him as loose stones, flung wildly from Vandrad’s destructive flight, rose in the air around Ruman. “To serve that purpose, I will strike down any enemy who poses a danger!” With a bellowing roar, he began to channel magic above his raised hands. A tremendous amount of energy materialized in the form of a glowing ball, easily thrice the size of the angel.

“I set you free, Vandrad du Wolff! Be free of the Ark’s corruption!” He announced before throwing his hands forward and releasing the ball of magic. The globe hastily tore forward, vaporizing the ground and leaving a long trench in its wake as it rushed towards Vandrad. The king grunted as he tried to pull his limbs free, even as the globe began to take up the entirety of his vision.

Corruption. Terrible power. From the moment that the word ‘Ark’ had left Cedric’s mouth, Ruman had been making assumptions about him. Here was the Trumpet of Triumph, believing that his cause, his mission of defense, meant that he had to make snap judgements about what Vandrad could and couldn’t do. The angel had put him in a box, spewing out conjecture about where his power had come from. He hadn’t seen what Vandrad had gone through; the trials he’d endured, the challenges he had faced and the pain he had suffered to survive. Ruman looked at the surface and criticized without ever wondering if he should venture further in, if there were scars from overcoming abuse and agonizing victory. It infuriated him beyond anything else, filling him with boiling hot lava of emotion beyond the comprehension of the Ark and its immortal prejudice. A fury that came rarely, swirled around inside of him and dissolved the locks and chains on what were his current limits, unsealing the barriers and awakening a deeper strength from below.

Once more pushed into a corner, Vandrad broke through his ceiling, his magical power rising to new levels. Built upon its former foundation and solidified from his training with Victoria and even Ryori, strength overtook him. Just as the magical attack swallowed him up, Vandrad roared from within its core and vaporized it from the expulsion of magic from within him. No fiery aura surged around him but, instead, a glowing light blue outline traced his entire body, from limb to limb along with a deeper blue that clung tight to his form. His hair was glowing at its core, seemingly made of pure hot-white light that eased from light blue to deeper ocean as one’s gaze moved to the edges of his follicles. His pupils were bright teal and contracted into small orbs, glaring at Ruman with calm fury.

“What?” Ruman asked, genuinely shocked as his eyes widened at the sight. Vandrad didn’t give him another moment to contemplate, yelling with effort and intent as he shot out of his crater and slammed a fist into Ruman’s face, knocking his head to the side. Now it was Ruman’s turn to fly backwards, viciously bouncing and rolling over the ground before slamming into a rocky outcrop. The king landed and unleashed a torrent of energy from his hands, the explosions rocking the arena and swallowing up the area around Ruman.

Yet he didn’t wait, the King of New Rhaegar surging into the magic-laced explosion and peeling it apart from his mere presence. Within its core was Ruman, attempting to catch his balance but a kick and several punches once more undid any defense, sending him careening through the rock and back through another. The angel found his balance enough to thrust his hand forward, creating another magic attack to try and regain the offense but the orb dissolved as Vandrad soared through it. Punch after punch rained down on Ruman as Vandrad kept up the attack, knocking the angel around. "What do you make of your assumptions now?! Is your will still overmatching my prowess? Am I still under some kind of corruption?!” Vandrad roared in Ruman’s face as his fists slammed into the angel over and over again. "Who gives you the right to strike down anyone?! No one! And you won’t either! Not if I have anything to say about it!”

A final kick sent Ruman flying up and over a rock before crashing down onto the ground on the other side. Vandrad was moving already, forcing Ruman to get to his feet hurriedly. His arm cocked back and the same attack from before, the one composed of dreadether, formed in his hand. The limb shot forward, sending the deadly attack towards Vandrad. Yet the king didn’t slow or move to avoid; instead, he shot his hand forward and coated it in his own magic. The punch dipped into the dreadether ball and then, miraculously, amazingly, it caused it to rupture and break apart.

“What?!” Ruman yelled out in disbelief. Yet his shocked face was treated to another heavy punch, causing him to stumble back in pain.

"Do you actually think I’d let you STOP ME?!” Vandrad roared, even as Ruman caught himself and sent another dreadether attack at the king. This time Vandrad dodged it, slipping just beneath it as it rushed off to vaporize another rockface. The angel swung his other arm forward, attempting to launch yet another matching ball but was swiftly met by Vandrad’s fist in his stomach, making him lose his focus from the pain. He attempted to bring his arm down with another but Vandrad was already there, kicking the angel’s arm and causing yet another globe of dreadether to sputter out of existence.

The king followed up the defensive kick with another one, sending Ruman sailing into another set of rocks.

"I’m going to make you understand who you’ve come up against. I am no slave to anyone or anything. I’ll hit you with an attack that is all mine, all my own power. One even you can’t deny!” Curling his hands tight into fists and tucking them at his side, Vandrad began to channel his magic into him, yelling as he charged up. His own form of electricity began to crack around him from the pressure he was building within. A golden ball of magic erupted from his feet and surrounded him, beginning to swirl and wrap around him as he fed his magic into it. It began to grow larger and larger, amassing every bit of his magical energy into the final attack.

Ruman stood to his feet, staring at the compounding magical sight before him. He roared as he held his hands out to the sides, bringing forth dreadether in each palm. He slammed his hands together and forced the balls together, resulting in them magnifying to an impressive, terrifying size. As Vandrad continued to yell, Ruman thrust the extreme amount of dreadether towards him, the ball rushing forward and crashing into Vandrad’s own powerful display. Each ball pushed back against the other, trying to assert dominance and wipe the other out. Each man yelling at the top of their lungs as they put their all, their very beings, into their attacks.

The dreadether ripped through the outer layer of Vandrad’s attack and swallowed it up, completely trapping him within its heart. And yet the king roared within, unbent, unbroken by the deadly force all around him. A bright streak of gold pierced the dreadether then another, then another. Beams of light splintered the dreadether from all over before it was destroyed entirely and the plume of magic quickly expanded outwards, overwhelming the battlefield. Ruman could do nothing but yell in shock and agony as the force of magic swallowed him up, a massive shadow in the light that quickly lost its figure in the explosion.

The resulting explosion rocked the realm and even many beyond it. The seating area shook violently, with several cracks forming in the solid surface. Izrael swiped her hand in front of her and a tome, not unlike the one that Mythal possessed, appeared before her. It flipped open and began to glow a sickly purple hue as magical energy wrapped around the stands in a protective bubble. Once the explosion had finished its culmination of destruction, the light quickly faded, revealing that the arena had been devastated and split into several, hovering pieces. Smoke billowed up from several of the chunks while hovering, scorched debris listlessly drifted in the void. Izrael looked down at the battlefield with open concern and it would not take long to see why.

Ruman lay flat on a large piece of broken arena, depowered back to his usual form. And standing above him, also back to his base form, was Vandrad, glaring down at him as he panted to catch his breath. Gnashing his teeth behind a scowl, the king pointed down at the angel. "Now you know defeat, Trumpet of Triumph,” he practically spat.

Ruman stared up at Vandrad from one eye, also breathing heavily. A soft, pained sigh escaped from beneath his bushy mustache. “Very well. Finish it, as is your right.” The angel closed his one, good eye, seemingly accepting his fight.

Vandrad continued to glare down at the Trumpet for a long beat before finally scoffing, his body losing its battle rigidity. "You think I would go through all of that just to kill you? You’re even more foolish than I anticipated.”

Ruman’s eye opened up once more. And then, surprisingly, his lips peeled into a smile. “And you are just as honorable as I anticipated.”

Vandrad’s brow furrowed. "Explain yourself.”

“In a moment. Izrael, if you would…” he said, trying to yell out but his voice ragged and hoarse.

“Fine. Just… ugh…” Izrael said, her tone sharp and annoyed. But anyone in the audience nearby would witness her reach up quickly and wipe her hand against her eye before continuing. The pages on the book flipped through before coming to a stop on a new sheet. Magical energy surged out of it and shot down towards Vandrad and Ruman, outlining their forms.

Vandrad looked down at his limbs as his scrapes and bruises began to heal. Even his strength was returning. Once the spell had finished, he was back to his full power, as if he’d gotten a full night’s rest. Ruman, too, looked to be back in his prime as he stood to his feet. “My apologies, your grace. For my words before and throughout the battle. But I sensed from your character that you were the kind of warrior that fought his hardest when his enemy was cantankerous and deadly. And I needed to see if my assumptions about your power were correct. My role as the Trumpet of Triumph allows me to gauge a warrior’s presence and I judged you a noble, self-built man worthy of respect. I’ll admit; your connection to the Ark gave me momentary pause, as it is a cursed magic. But just because a magic is a curse does not mean the man that wields it shares its attributes.”

Vandrad snorted. “So then you figured a battle was the best way to solidify your judgment.”

“Partially true. The full truth is that I enjoy battle and my instinct told me I would not only greatly enjoy trading blows with you but would gain valuable wisdom from your resolve. I’m happy to say it was correct.”

“Are you kidding me?! You pissed him off just so you could get your battle rocks off?! By the damn Darkness, Ruman!” Izrael cursed, letting out a groan at the end of her sentence as she shook her head. “Never been more embarrassed in my life.”

Words: 4546 / 12,338 | Tag: @Mercury Arseneault @Saffron Remington | © marzia at shine & gs.

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 2nd May 2024, 1:07 pm

Mercury Banner
    Now, this place was interesting.

Mercury glanced around, intrigued despite her feelings toward the situation. She was greatly looking forward to watching her fiance ground this uppity angel into a fine paste, the Xocili having zero doubts that Vandrad would rise above every expectation to claim the victory; she had always believed in him unerringly since the first job they’d ever worked together, and her faith in him wasn’t about to falter now just because his opponent was this great, celestial being. But she was also an infinitely curious woman, and there was little that could stop her from appreciating the magical marvel that was this pocket realm of existence. Flashes of her time in Maker’s realm flitted briefly through her mind, but were quickly dismissed. While this place was similar in basis, it was otherwise nothing like where she’d spent so much time with her deceased foe.

And she wasn’t the only one that was impressed. Saffron walked right up to the edge of the smaller platform they’d arrived on, peering down at the rock-adorned platform. “What the shit? This place is awesome,” the blonde remarked, finding herself a little jealous now to not be part of the fight, even if the fight itself was, in her opinion, completely unnecessary and vain. Vandrad had nothing to prove to his jerkoff as far as she was concerned… but there was nothing she could do to stop it and she wasn’t about to try. They made their choice. All she could do was stand by with the others and wait to see how things went down.

There was only a brief moment where Vandrad inquired about whether or not Izrael was going to behave herself, even as the king stripped down to his armor. Seeing that Mercury wasn’t in a place to do so herself, Themmy helping the pregnant woman find a comfortable place to sit, Saffron approached to offer her own hands to collect Vandrad’s royal effects. With an assurance that she wouldn’t interfere, the female Trumpet gave a brief history of the arena and the uses that it served in the past. Mercury wondered briefly as to the last time it was used, before she caught Vandrad turning to look in her direction. Emerald eyes met his dark ones, her expression sure and confident as she gave him a single nod. Then, he was off.

Ruman was nowhere to be seen at first, but within moments he was caught off guard by the Trumpet practically materializing out of nothing, giving zero warning about his approach. “BOOOO! CHEAP SHOT!” Saffron heckled from where she sat beside Cedric. Both combatants were far too engaged to hear her, more than likely, but that wasn’t going to stop her from making commentary.

More surprisingly than anything else, it really didn’t take long for both men to tap into their full powers, Vandrad assuming his blue form while Ruman became cloaked in a dark purple miasma and practically roided out. The pair fought for a time in such a manner before something entirely unexpected happened. The dreadether attack was enough to bring Cedric to his feet, even as Saffron leaned forward with a focused frown. Mercury gave a stern glare in the general direction of the fight, but otherwise appeared to be unmoved by the revelation. “Ruman can use whatever source of power he wants,” she commented evenly. “The only thing he’s gonna accomplish is pushing Vandrad past his limits and making him more dangerous.” Mercury had seen it time and again, and there wasn’t a shred of doubt in her mind that this fight was going to prove any differently than the numerous times before. The king might falter, and he might stumble, but he would not fall. Her faith in him was unshakable.

Saffron wasn’t so sure. It wasn’t that she thought Vandrad was incapable, of course. And if they had been placing bets, she would have put every chip on Vandrad in a heartbeat, but still… this was an archangel they were talking about. There was no telling what kind of underhanded tricks Ruman would pull to secure his victory, and sometimes that’s all it took. It wasn’t about mere strength and determination alone – wit and deception were a large part of the game, and while she knew that Vandrad had plenty of experience against crafty opponents and wasn’t necessarily above a few low blows himself, it still wasn’t the king’s preferred style.

Her worry only increased as Ruman summoned what very much appeared – and felt – to be a killing blow. The large, dark orb careened toward Vandrad, annihilating everything in its wake and swallowing the king in a brilliant display of tremendous and horrifying energy. Saffron was on the edge of her seat, her body tense as her eyes shifted to a dull orange color with anxiety. Her fists were clenched tight and the adrenaline coursing through her veins had her ready to leap at a moment’s notice to help her mentor if needed – his pride be damned.

Mercury, on the other hand, narrowed her gaze to keep herself focused on her fiance and waited. She couldn’t see him through the swirling energy, but she never lost track of his vitals. They were off the charts with epinephrine and what she could only assume was unadulterated rage, but they were still present. He wasn’t down for the count just yet. And as he burst forth, Mercury could only smirk with a deep enjoyment and pride at the sight of whatever new form he had just awakened. It was similar to his normal cobalt form but brighter, his aura clinging to him in a contained film rather than rippling out from his body like a fire.

“I’m gonna throw up,” Saffron complained as she released the knots in her stomach. She wasn’t actually going to vomit, of course, but she was nothing if not an animated individual that was unafraid to acknowledge her stress… even if it was buried under the guise of humor.

The fight was seemingly downhill from there for the Trumpet, who had been so sure of his victory only moments before. Vandrad had let himself fully loose on an absolute rampage, outmatching Ruman in nearly every way and forcing him on the defensive until the battle culminated in one final stand off. Mercury’s gaze was absolutely glued to the scene, the weight of both combatants’ powers heavy enough to shake even the platform from which they viewed the fight from afar. Lightning streaked around Vandrad in violent snaps as merely a result of how much energy he was channeling into his attack, while Ruman once more called upon his dreadether, both men ready to end this battle one way or another in a single, decisive blow. Saffron wasn’t even aware that she had reached out to grab Cedric’s hand, squeezing it tight with silent trepidation as both orbs were released, with Ruman’s seemingly overwhelming Vandrad’s and swallowing the king up.

After only a moment or two, however, a bright golden light pierced through the dreadether. Then another, and another, until the dark matter was utterly disintegrated. Mercury planted herself firmly in her seat at the resulting explosion from Vandrad’s attack which rocked the entire realm, placing a hand under Themmy’s arm for additional support. Saffron yelped in surprise, nearly toppling over in her seat even with Izrael’s barrier protecting them from the brunt of the explosion. By the time the dust began to settle, all would bear witness to the pieces that the stadium had been violently broken into, as well as Vandrad standing triumphantly over where Ruman laid prone.

There was a brief exchange between the two men that couldn’t really be heard from up on their platform before Ruman’s tired voice called out for Izrael. The female Trumpet voiced annoyance, though she wasn’t quite able to mask her emotions over Ruman’s loss. Or more likely, over the likelihood that she could have lost her companion entirely had this been a fight to the death. Flipping to a new page in her tome, two rays of magic shot out at the men, healing them of their wounds and restoring their stamina until both Vandrad and Ruman appeared to be back to full health as though they’d never fought to begin with.

Now with the two of them back up to snuff, it wasn’t difficult at all for the rest of the party to overhear the conversation, including Ruman’s admission that he’d said the things he’d said simply because he wanted to fight Vandrad at his fullest – something he deemed was best done when the king felt as though his honor and pride were on the line. “Are you kidding me?” Saffron asked in near perfect tandem with Izrael, though she sounded more exasperated than aggravated. All that anxiety and stress over absolutely nothing.

Mercury, meanwhile, was giving Vandrad a proudful grin. “Show off,” she teased, more than happy to bask in the glow of her fiance’s victory. Then, she turned to Ruman and Izrael. “I don’t suppose this means you’re gonna help us, then? I love a good display of brawny half naked men strutting their stuff on the battlefield as much as the next gal, don’t get me wrong, but it doesn’t exactly solve our finding-a-way-to-fight-Faera problem…”

WORDS: 1557/9284 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 4th May 2024, 4:29 pm

Judgement  RJtajUnz_o

Cedric reached back and patted Saffron on the back. “You get used to it. Vandrad seems to invite challenges because of… well, because of him,” he said, gesturing idly at the king. Despite having, essentially, been baited into a trial of strength, Vandrad didn’t look too displeased -- probably because he’d come out as the victor. He would be remiss if he didn’t admit that testing the archangel’s might had been near the top of his own personal list, though he hadn’t expressed as much out loud. He snorted at Mercury’s teasing accusation, crossing his arms over his chest as she turned and addressed her concerns over their aid against Faera.

Ruman’s cheeks drooped a bit, the only real sign that he was frowning. It was the constant shifting of his cheeks and mustache that emoted his feelings, given the size of the bushel of hair that covered his upper lip. “My pride as a Trumpet would have me assure you that through our combined efforts, along with the Darkness King, we will prove triumphant over the Dark Mistress. It is something in my makeup that wants nothing with aiding the Ark in gaining any kind of power, for the sake of mine and my kin’s protection.”

His thoughts overtook him for a moment, giving him pause as he searched through them and his own inner emotions. “However, my nature is not easily sated by hopes and blind faith, as much as it pains me to say as much. Though I firmly believe we would find a means and a method to bring down Faera otherwise, I cannot deny that the addition of a reliable weapon against her would be foolish to ignore. Plus in the hands of Vandrad du Wolff, I believe it will be used appropriately.”

“I’m here too, you know,” Cedric commented. “But I’ve already used the Ark’s dominance to take the essence of a demon lately. Trying to do so again would be pretty for yours truly.”

"That is all well and good but the way that Cedric used the ability required the target to be sacrificed. I am not keen on taking the lives of potential allies unless absolutely necessary,” Vandrad stated.

Izrael shifted, a harbinger of her preparing to voice her own thoughts.“Tall, dark and cocky can tell me if I’m wrong,” she started, jabbing a thumb towards Cedric. “Nut based on what we know about the Ark, it absorbs the source of power and makes it its own. You’ve used it on living immortals because they possessed sources that were gifted to them from their god or demon or whatever. But really, it just comes down to taking it in from a source, whether its living or not.”

“I’m not that cocky,” Cedric softly complained, though his tone betrayed how disingenuous his offense was. If nothing else, he was a man that understood exactly what he was.

Izrael ignored the comment. “We could try to force Hugo here but at this point, Faera will know something is wrong. She sensed Mythal and Serilda in Kingdom Darkness and no doubt she felt when Shepard bit it. She’s probably already suspicious of why neither one of us have perished as well, since we were meant to be assisting him. But she hasn’t cut us off from her source, meaning we’re also connected to Kingdom Darkness and the resources she had granted us.”

“Izrael,” Ruman spoke up. “Surely you don’t mean..?”

Izrael nodded in confirmation. “Dangerous without a doubt but… it could work.”

"Ominous cliffhangers don’t provide much information,” Vandrad insisted, wanting to remove the cloud of mystery that the two were holding over one another.

Ruman turned to look at him. “My apologies. You’ll remember that some years ago, Faera attempted what was her last attempt to overtake Mythal and make him her vessel. You all performed a ceremony that cut him off from her influence of power but, as a side effect, all of the magical power he had accumulated and forged under her stolen magic was returned to her in full. Faera was not quite prepared for the sudden influx of power, mostly because she believed it would have remained housed within Mythal and used through him. She was forced to trap it, store it even, in a special vault. Thereby she could begin slowly assimilating it into herself until it was depleted. At some point, she decided to keep it as a reserve and begin the process of preparing her body to take in the remnants in whole at a future point. In hopes that the Trumpets would bring about Mythal’s end, we were granted access to it to buff our own natural strength. It’s what allows me to tap into the natural dreadether in Kingdom Darkness and what had led Shepard to expand his knowledge and sight within Kingdom Darkness.” He shared a look with Izrael and nodded softly. “As you also will recall from when Mythal and Serilda fought with Shepard, we elite soldiers of the different realms have access to Domain Incursions. Forcing the will of our natural domain onto an area to fully annihilate an enemy, if required. We can, technically, force an Incursion with that power…”

“It would be extremely dangerous; I’ll just get that out of the way right now. Ruman and I would be forcing a Domain Incursion together on Vandrad and sealing him in a dome of Faera’s power. Power that Mythal may have cultivated but it is still Faera’s and it did return to her, even if for a short time. There is no telling what it can do to you or what you’ll have to overcome to even allow the Ark to activate. But if we want a source of Faera’s power to even have the slightest chance of making your own…” She leveled her gaze on Vandrad, her eyes almost apologetic for the near-suicidal suggestion.

“But you two would have some sense of control over it, right?” Cedric asked.

Ruman shook his head. “In truth, it’ll be dangerous all around. We will have to be focusing to keep our joint Incursion under control; one of us keeping it contained and the other keeping it from retreating. If we lose our balance for even a second, it will attempt to either return to its cage and, undoubtedly, Faera will know the truth of our actions and alignment. Or it could go out of control and infect this realm, destroying it and creating a pathway that would, inevitably, provide a more direct route for Faera to take to get to the living realm.”

“So either Vandrad succeeds in using the Ark or we could doom the entirety of existence. Just another Tuesday for us then,” Cedric remarked callously.

“Should it become unstable and threaten to break free, we would require you to take action to destroy the Incursion. Your ability to control the Ark should allow you to do so and Incursions are far more vulnerable from the outside,” Ruman told Cedric.

“Of course; always happy to stop world-ending catastrophes before they take place. It’s practically my job at this point; so long as you can promise that I won’t get any more holes in my lovely form; I already have two scars too many,” Cedric replied back with a smirk, gesturing to his covered torso.

"So I would be submerged in Faera’s pure power and… what? I need to take control of it?” Vandrad asked, looking between Ruman, Izrael and Cedric.

“Technically if you’re just in the source, the Ark will do the work. It’s fairly ravenous for immortal power. But I’ve never had to do it that way; I only know what the Dread Masters taught me. It’ll happen; I just don’t know how long it will take or what you would need to do to do it.”

“What I’m hearing is a lot of unknown, threatening variables and not many answers for them,” Themesycia finally spoke. “Perhaps it would be wise to investigate this matter further before we enact any kind of plan.”

“I would agree but… there is a window of opportunity that will be closed soon. Faera will ultimately deduce our traitorous actions and cut us off from her power, including this removed power. I am content to wait if we must, to prepare safety measures, but I would caution on delaying too long, lest we miss our opportunity.”

"Do you have access to that power at this very moment?” Vandrad asked, pulling the attention back to him.

Ruman nodded. “Indeed.”

"Then there is no reason to delay,” Vandrad stated, uncrossing his arms. "Let’s take care of the matter, here and now. And I will prove myself superior to her power and make it my own.”

Words: 1458 / 13,796 | Tag: @Mercury Arseneault @Saffron Remington | © marzia at shine & gs.

Current date/time is 7th May 2024, 5:27 am