Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

The Art of Vulnerability

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Player 
    Lineage : Gold Rush
    Position : None
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 6,857,298

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Gunblade Master
    Second Skill: Mecha Primordial Slayer
    Third Skill:

The Art of Vulnerability Empty The Art of Vulnerability

Post by Mercury Arseneault 21st May 2023, 11:20 am

Mercury Banner
    Cunning is the art of concealing our own defects
    and discovering other peoples' weaknesses.
    Patience.

While Mercury certainly had her lines of frustration and temperament, she liked to think that her ability to be painstakingly patient was one of her best honed skills. She knew how to wait, how to sew seeds, how to misdirect and play the game without tipping her hand. However, it had been some time since she’d ever tested such skills against an opponent like Maker, if she ever had before; one who could keep up with her in nearly every aspect. Every move she made had to be done with careful precision in order to not lead him on to the fact that she wasn’t quite who she said she was.

Thankfully, she was fairly confident in the behavior that Maker expected of her. That was to say, she knew that he expected her to get into some trouble and to test her limits, and he also expected her to be able to pull the occasional fast one over him sooner or later. The hardest part about her mission was keeping him feeling like he was the one in control and finding subtle ways to let him believe that he had been able to keep track of everything she was doing at any given time, while also believing that she was completely unaware he was doing so.

Mercury knew that he had ways of monitoring her clone while she was in his bunker. He had several layers of security throughout the building, some of which were rather elementary – at least by their standards. The average Earthlander would likely have a hard time finding all of them, but someone with the technological aptitude of Maker and Mercury could track them down in their sleep, and as such she knew he expected her to be aware of those. However, he had several other measures of security that were hidden behind many other layers of encryptions, ones that were so heavily protected that she was confident he felt she would never find them.

And it was with this platform from which she started laying the groundwork for earning his trust. Or rather, letting his trust in his ability to control her completely solidify. Mercury had played along thus far with the errands and tasks he asked her to run, collecting this and that at his behest or assisting with projects here and there under his watchful eye. However, as the months went on he continued to loosen the slack on her leash more and more, at least in terms of while she was inside the hideout. He knew she would snoop; in fact, she knew he was counting on her to do so, wanting to see where she would poke around and likely not altogether concerned with what she might find. As she came to understand as time moved along, anything that he truly wished to hide he simply had not kept at this particular location, especially Knowhere and any evidence of the mysterious power he had used to destroy Vandrad’s magical core.

But, that didn’t stop her from looking. If anything, he would likely be more suspicious of her not snooping for such things. Thus did she allow herself to test the limits of what she could get away with further and further as the days went by, seemingly growing more confident in her ability to peek around when she supposedly thought he wasn’t looking. Before long there were even times that he would leave her within the confines of the bunker by herself for extended periods, and it was during these times that she laid the heaviest ground work: there were times he would observe her poking around and being pleased or even smug about her results… however, there were also times where she allowed herself to be seen as frustrated, angry… even morose. She needed to help him build an idea of who she was when she felt he wasn’t looking, and if she was going to take steps at all to convince him that he was in complete control, then more than anything he needed to see her vulnerable – something she allowed herself to be with increasing frequency, to the point that when she was alone she would seem to be… disinterested in most things. Hopeless. Resigned.

It had been going well enough for a while now, or so she felt, but the time had come to take another step, to shake the cage just the smallest bit to see what the fruits of her labor would loosen. Maker – or rather Eriladar, as she had recently come to learn – had left her unsupervised for a while that day, and it would be the first day that Mercury simply didn’t even attempt to poke around while he was gone. Instead, once she had finished up with the small handful of tasks he’d given her, she passed the time on a couch in one of the few lounging areas of the bunker that was designed for at least mild comfort rather than work, where there was a television that had access to a small selection of movies and shows. She spent an hour or two flipping through streams, never staying on one long enough to fully get invested.

Finally, with a sigh, she simply turned the device off and sat there for a while. After a few moments of uneventful silence, Mercury stirred once more and this time she did something she hadn’t done since being brought back to life: she used her magic. Maker had never removed the wristbands that had supposedly kept her magical abilities suppressed, and she’d never shown any signs of removing them or canceling out their abilities. Today, however, she stood to her feet and moved to an area of the room that had a bit of open space. With the flick of her wrist she conjured an electric keyboard piano, the instrument materializing along with a metal bench for her to sit on and a small floor speaker for the sound to play from.

She sat at the bench and idly played a few keys, not really creating any kind of tune rather than just hearing the instrument’s sound. It had been close to half a year since she’d played. Technically longer than that, if one counted the near year that she had been dead before her resurrection at Maker’s hands, so she allowed herself an almost tender moment to reacquaint herself with the musical device. After a moment, she straightened herself out and began to play for real, pulling out a song at random and playing, the tune rather orchestral in design and of intermediate complexity.

It was only after she’d been playing a couple of songs for several minutes that she shifted gears. Picking a single note, she began to play it in a steady rhythm until her voice finally joined the ensemble.

“I will have to die for this, I fear
    There's rage and terror and there's sickness here
    I fight because I have to
    I fight for us to know the truth

There's not enough rope to tie me down
    There's not enough tape to shut this mouth
    The stones you throw can make me bleed
    But I won't stop until we're free
    Wild hearts can't be broken
    No, wild hearts can't be broken

This is my rally cry
    I know it's hard, we have to try
    This is a battle I must win
    To want my share is not a sin

No, wild hearts can't be broken

You beat me, betray me
    You're losing, we're winning
    My spirit above me
    You cannot deny me
    My freedom is burning
    This broken world keeps turning
    I'll never surrender
    There's nothing, but a victory

This wild heart can't be broken”

As the song continued on, the passion in her playing and singing increased. Yet, despite the determined words of the chorus, there was a melancholy to the way she sang. And as the piano’s notes faded, however, Mercury’s expression drifted into something more neutral, perhaps even stony. Her internal sensors had picked up the moment that Maker had walked into the room, though she had not stopped playing, nor did she now turn to look at him. “Did you need something?” she asked, the slightest touch of irritation in her voice.

WORDS: 1236 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Lineage : Traveller of the Multiverse
    Guild : Fairy Tail
    Experience : 7,808,129

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Energy Monarch
    Second Skill: Ark of the Dread Masters
    Third Skill:

The Art of Vulnerability Empty Re: The Art of Vulnerability

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 21st May 2023, 1:14 pm

Maker

words: 1195. tag: @Mercury Arseneault . notes:
    Patience.

If there was one thing that Maker was, it was patient. He’d laid groundwork for plans years ahead of the intended occurrence, slowly but surely carving a path towards his end objective. There was no need to rush a piece of excellent art; half the enjoyment came out of the action performing rather than the end result. The Terran always had a clear cut focus in his mind for whatever he was working on, seeing pathways and parallels that would guide him to his goals. Life was a game and he’d proven an expert player, without equal, until he’d come across Mercury Arseneault. Patricia Reeves had offered a little competition but her abilities were limited given her race and superhuman prowess. Mercury was on an entirely different level; a woman that challenged him directly, without superficial enhancements or advantages. What she was proved she was superior than most other beings in the universe.

In his own way, he admired the Xocili. The perfect merger of flesh and machine, simply through evolutionary means rather than conceptualizing involvement. In fact, he would even go as far as to say that they were the perfect receptacle for what he had planned. He’d mastered manufacturing body doubles, made up of machinery, and they served a useful, if not temporary purpose. But one cannot create something as complex as a living race simply on a whim. So Maker had resolved to focus on more realistic goals, though he never forgot the dream; a fantasy that fell in line with the rest of his mission. If Mercury was anywhere near trustworthy, perhaps he could consider her for his means…

But his overwriting was passable, at best. He had decrypted enough of her organic and mechanical DNA to make alterations but not enough to hardwire full changes. He had her under a certain realm of control but the leash was long and allowed her to wander farther than he would have preferred. She kept her same personality, her same ‘charm’ and her same curiosity and she barely disguised her attempts to snoop around his base for more information. He’d be more concerned if he hadn’t already planned ahead; removing the more important parts of his information and assets to the other, more secure location. Still, he found himself surprised every so often by the antics she was able to pull off, even when he kept her under such close observation.

Still, she followed his orders and obeyed his commands, giving him sass and comment but never outright disobeying him. And as she completed tasks, it became easier to let her explore a little further and discover a bit more with each and every passing day. Maker wasn’t so prideful that he would deny that he found himself attracted to her; she was a lovely woman who harbored a deep, carnal desire to punish others. He’d watched firsthand as Mercury had pulled apart the former Zifu Kuttuvan, the Xocili taking her time and satisfaction in the punishment of a truly hated enemy. He was acutely aware that he would have suffered the same fate, were she not under his control, but that made the thrill of danger all the more appealing.

She’d earned enough trust to be left alone in the bunker, though that trust was almost always betrayed by her curiosity to investigate. At that point, it had almost become a quiet, unspoken game between the two of them but as time went on, she was losing her luster for it. She was happy and ecstatic over certain nonessential aspects she discovered and then frustrated by her lack of advancement on anything solid. Soon enough, her periods of exploration grew shorter and less adventurous and soon enough, a day came where he’d left her to her own wiles. He’d paused long enough to check in on her and found her resigned to the ‘entertainment’ room that he’d had arranged for her. No records of her going off; continuous video of her simply sitting and staring at the screen with complete detachment.

He frowned but returned to his task at hand. It was a few hours later that he checked back in and found her in the same place, having barely moved. He assigned a few autonomous doubles to fill in for his efforts and returned to the base, watching curiously as Mercury finally turned the screen off and simply sat. After a few moments, she stood up and… summoned some kind of musical instrument. He’d kept her locked away from her magic via wristbands but it seemed that she had either found a way around them or… done something else. Or perhaps he’d never fully sealed her off from it, the Xocili having access to her magical abilities the entire time. Yet she had never used them before this moment and for such a… tame venture. She materialized a bench and a speaker and then sat herself down, idly plucking a few of the keys mindlessly.

It seemed she was reminding herself of how to play. It had been quite some time since she had last played, he assumed. He’d kept a watchful eye over her since he had reactivated her and many months had passed that she had been turned off. She played around with the keys curiously, her face etching with tender remembrance as familiarity struck her. Setting herself, she finally began to play, weaving an intricate tune that was melodic and haunting in its own right. It was not a simple song to play, given the changes in notes, but it seemed she had found a place of comfortability. Soon enough she began to sing, her voice soothing and impactful but riddled with passion. Yet with each passing verse, she became more somber, more wracked with sadness as her fingers plucked in tune.

Maker barely realized how far he’d come before he was turning into the open doorway of the entertainment room. She continued playing, despite them both knowing that she would be aware of his arrival. And her tone never shifted to anything but its true and full emotional spectrum until finally she had struck the last chords, bringing the song to an end. Then her face became a neutral palette of disinterest, even as she spoke to ask him if he needed something.

“No,” he told her simply as he walked further in the room. “I was just…” He paused to collect his thoughts as he walked around the front of the keyboard and observed it. “You have an impressive grasp of music. Your playing was exquisite and your voice was… lovely.” He didn’t quite know how to give a genuine compliment without some kind of ulterior motive. But he was hardly a liar when it came to respecting one’s prowess, perhaps the only thing he put absolute belief of truth in. “It had some truly haunting melodies, that song of yours. It seemed you were speaking from some deeper place than just casual interest. And I cannot help but believe its lyrics were meant for me.”

He crossed his arms behind his back. “Have you been writing it long? This rebellious tune against my control?”

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 21st May 2023, 7:53 pm

Mercury Banner
    She questioned his presence, asking in not so many words if he had interrupted her session for a reason, her tone not aggressive but not friendly either. Even as he took the time to approach and formulate an answer Mercury continued to play idly on the keyboard, seemingly disinterested in giving him any kind of attention. His compliments were met with similar apathy, the Xocili not altogether moved by his words, despite their surprising authenticity. She barely cast him a sidelong glance, her eyes briefly taking in his state of dress. His current attire was not dissimilar to what Cillian nearly always wore: a pair of pants and an open faced button up shirt that left his chiseled torso exposed.

Normally, Mercury wouldn’t have missed an opportunity to make a comment. She had a reputation for being flirtatious, and she wasn’t exactly shy about admitting when she found someone attractive, even an enemy such as himself. Yet instead of any kind of playful commentary that he would have come to expect from her at this point, she did little more than take a brief stock of his presence before going back to keeping her eyes on the keys in front of her. He praised the song and remarked upon the emotional place from which she sang it before expressing his thoughts that she had written it for him, even going so far as to ask how long she had been working on her little expression of rebelliousness.

Her first response was a dry snort, a short laugh that lacked any true amusement. “If these lyrics were meant for you, I would have simply invited you to listen. Despite what you seem to believe, Maker, you are not the center of the universe. That song was written well before I met you… but I suppose it was overreaching to hope that I might have a moment of privacy – whether genuine or fabricated." As he likely could have guessed, her coldness toward him in that moment was stemming from a place of having been caught, or at least approached, in a moment where she had let her guard down, pretending she was alone enough to simply be herself for a minute without having to constantly keep up the facade of confidence that she used to mask her insecurities.

And it seemed she was content to let her explanation end there. Lifting one of her hands from the piano, she snapped her fingers and a small electrical implant materialized in the air. It hovered before Maker within arm’s reach, her first such time displaying that her magic was much more than simply being able to requip herself with pre-built electronics and mechanical gadgets. It was the chip he had tasked her to help him perfect, or at least a copy of it. If he had means of checking the lab from where he stood he would see the original still sitting in the spot where she had last worked on it, meaning that she had fabricated an exact replica out of thin air.

“Your prototype is complete.” As she lowered her hand back down toward the keyboard, the bands around her wrist caught her attention. Rolling her eyes slightly, she unclasped the devices entirely with very little effort, tossing them carelessly off to the side of the room. He’d clearly already seen her utilize her magic to conjure the piano, so there was no point in pretending anymore that her abilities were suppressed. She returned to mindlessly, if quietly, plunking away at the keys. “Go ahead and run your diagnostics or whatever. Let me know if anything’s not syncing.”

“So. Did you at least bring me something else to work on? I’m caught up on all the projects you assigned me, as well as several that you didn’t, so having something else to keep me occupied would be welcome.” It was obvious that she was deflecting, hoping to lure him away from the original topic of conversation with another that he might find more tempting.

WORDS: 674/1910 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 22nd May 2023, 8:24 am

Maker

words: 820/2015. tag: @Mercury Arseneault . notes:
    Clearly she wasn’t amused. Even as he asked about her efforts in crafting the song, she dismissively snorted at the comment. As if that wasn’t enough, she continued, stating that if she had intended for him to hear, she would have made it a point to come and collect him so that he could listen with gusto. According to her, not everything in the universe revolved around him and the song had actually been written long before they had met. But she admitted that she should have expected that she wouldn’t be granted even a moment of reprieve from his everwatchful gaze, be it authentic or completely made up. It was a remarkably cold and contemptuous remark from a usually flirtatious and bubbly individual. Maker was not so ignorant to believe that, despite her reprogramming, she didn’t harbor contempt for him. She’d been quite upfront about what she intended to do to him.

But she clearly was upset that he had caught her in such a raw, vulnerable state and her pointed, sharp words were meant to drive a deep wedge away from his focus on the moment. That seemed to be the end of any kind of further conversation over the matter, as she summoned an electrical implant in the air with a snap. He reached out and took it without hesitance, cradling the creation gently as she explained that it was complete. She had a moment where she realized that she still had on the wristbands that were, clearly, not locking her out of her magic. She detached them and discarded them to the opposing side of the room without much care. He’d seen her bring the piano into existence so there was no point in playing the part any longer. Her fingers plugged away a few notes as she told him he could run his tests on the prototype to ensure it was complete and, more importantly, safe.

Moving on, she asked if he’d brought anything else for her to work on; stating clearly that she had finished all the assignments he had provided her and even a few that he hadn’t. That caused his brows to stiffen in curiosity, the most inquisitive look of questioning passing over his features. What projects was she talking about? There weren’t many lying around that he kept carelessly out in the open for her to access… save for the few that he had locked away out of sight. Of course, she must have found a way inside of his more secure vaults and accessed more information than even he had predicted. “We’ll circle back to these unassigned projects in a moment,” he stated as he traced a finger along the edge of her keyboard. “Firstly, I wish to tackle the matter that you are so very clearly trying to deflect away.”

He settled his gaze on her face with a small, self-satisfied smile. “Or would you have me believe that you aren’t aware of the recording and security measures I have installed? You forget that I have been inside that cranium of yours, Mercury. I am aware of the extent of your scanning abilities. So I am well aware of your ability to pick up on electronics and that isn’t including your marvelous magical abilities,” he commented idly as he tapped his finger on the piano poignantly. “You were well aware of my ability to observe you. And while, perhaps, you were hoping to have a moment of privacy, I am sure you could have picked somewhere I haven’t allowed you to enter to do so. Contrary to your belief, I know I am not the center of the universe. But when it seems directed at me and all the mitigating factors lend themselves to that conclusion, it’s hard not to fall upon that self-same culmination.”

His tone was remarkably soft and patient, considering the words he was using. He wasn’t upset with her but his curiosity was most certainly piqued. His gaze never wavered from looking at her as he slid his finger off of the piano. He turned and approached the nearby couch, sitting himself down on it and crossing a single leg over his knee. He pulled up the loose-fitting shirt so that it covered more of his shoulders, though he left the front of it open. Idly his hand brushed against the diagonal scar over his chest and traced it from top to bottom, though it seemed more out of compulsion than intent. “So rather than act as macho as you believe yourself to be, how about you level with me?” He patted the spot on the couch next to him.

He would continue, whether she joined him on the couch or not. “Tell me about the song’s origins. You said it’s origin is from far beyond our meeting. I’m curious as to what event or series of events could have crafted such a rebellious melody.”

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 22nd May 2023, 12:36 pm

Mercury Banner
    The stage had been set, almost literally considering her placement behind the large musical organ. She was acting outside of her norm, and a man like Maker was far too curious to ignore such behavior. And, as she suspected, he was also far too curious to let the matter pass. Mercury fed her line about getting into several other projects that he was unaware of, seemingly in the hope that he would be more concerned with that than with continuing his line of questioning, and instead he elected to table the matter in order to stay focused on the current subject, calling her outright on her dismissive attitude.

Maker questioned the seeming inaccuracy of her claim, stating that if she truly wished for him to not receive the song then she could have gone to a room where she wasn’t under observation. He had been inside her brain, physically, and knew the extent of her scanners and radars, not including her magic. He insisted that he knew he was not the end all be all of the universe, but the supposed evidence was nonetheless conclusive in his mind that she had meant for him to hear it. “And if I still believed that such a place existed in this dreary, dank old bunker then I would have. These days, I find it safer to assume that you have means of keeping an eye on me no matter what room I am in, in which case it doesn’t really matter where I try to hide, does it?”

She clearly wasn’t expecting an answer, the question more rhetorical than anything else as she did her best to ignore him and carry on with her selected distraction. While his words were blunt his mannerism was gentle. Maker strolled around the piano and took a seat on the couch that Mercury had vacated not long ago, the emerald skinned man just visible out of her peripheral vision as he made himself comfortable, his fingers trailing along the scar on his chest. He invited her to be honest with him, patting the empty space beside him. Mercury’s gaze flicked in his direction briefly but she seemed disinclined to join him, instead continuing to play on the keyboard at a lowered volume. After a moment of stony silence from her, he asked outright about the song’s origins, curious about what might have inspired its creation.

She scoffed out a humorless laugh. “I’ll believe a lot of things, Maker, but I refuse to believe you are that ignorant,” Mercury told him as her fingers moved gracefully across the board. “Or do you actually believe that the Nazru would employ me – a Xocili – under any kind of willing and mutually beneficial arrangement?” Presuming he gave some kind of response of shock, or at least a very pregnant pause that might betray his surprise, her playing would slow to a stop as she turned her hardened gaze to him, the truth of her station in life all too evident on her face. There was a toughness to her expression, but it was a mask, and any deeper look would reveal the lifelong exhaustion, weariness, and hopelessness hiding behind the cleverly crafted defiance in her eyes. It was the look of a woman who had needed to fight and scrape and claw through her entire life, who could never truly trust anyone, always ready to act at a moment’s notice out of self preservation.

Eventually she would turn away, her attention once more on the keyboard though she did not start playing again. She seemed to be struggling with an internal war of some kind before finally her shoulders would droop in resignation. Her expression settled into something more apathetic and dismissive, accepting that he wasn’t going to let this go but refusing to let herself look vulnerable, even if they both knew she felt it. “My people had already been fighting for their lives against the Nazru for nearly a full decade before I was born. My mother was a refugee on a ship full of other refugees trying to survive. I was nearly two by the time they finally found us. They didn’t kill us all right away, but over time…” Her voice trailed off and she shook her head. “Eventually it was just me left. You are not the first person to hold my leash, Maker. You’re not even the true owner of it. This is not unfamiliar territory for me… though the Nazru at least had decency enough to give me a window.”

She gave him a falsely sweet smile and turned back to the piano, her fingers once more plucking away at the keys as an air of frustration practically vibrated around her. “Satisfied?”

WORDS: 790/2700 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 22nd May 2023, 5:07 pm

Maker

words: 951/2966. tag: @Mercury Arseneault . notes:
    Mercury continued to lash out at him even as he countered her claim with imperative evidence. It seemed she believed that everywhere was under surveillance and if she knew of a place that wasn’t, she would have gone there. She figured it was easier and, arguably, more self-preservative to assume he had eyes all over the bunker to watch her wherever she went. As she saw it, that meant there really was nowhere to disappear into. She was mostly right; there were certainly places that he had minimal overwatch on; rooms and corners that held little to no advantage or purpose. He assumed she probably knew about those either or, at least, he presumed she had the ability to tell that. However, that wasn’t the point she was trying to make, even if she wasn’t intentionally trying to make it.

She was trapped and chained to his whims. He continued, asking that she explain about the song’s beginning, if he was so inclined to believe it hadn’t come from her own anger and hatred towards him. He’d offered for her to come and sit with him but she had silently declined it, resuming her place at her keyboard as she continued to pluck at notes disinterestedly. She scoffed at him and claimed that she didn’t believe he was that ignorant, his brow furrowing slightly even as she continued and asked outright if he believed the Nazru had her under a willing employment that benefitted her in any way. His head cocked slightly, even as her hands came to a stop and her head moved on a swivel to look at him. Her gaze was as hard as it had been but there was something boiling beneath the surface, something he hadn’t seen before. She wore a mask, hiding her true exhausted, despairing feelings under the guise of toughing it out, as Earthlanders would say. The pieces clicked together for him quickly, even as her rebellious gaze remained attached to his.

So she had been trapped before. A slave to the Nazru, acting as their emissary in some fashion? No, more like a herald of their crusade. An agent to blend in among the people and learn about them as she sent in information back to the ones that held her collar. How utterly tragic for such an exemplary example of evolution. As he processed over his own thoughts, she turned to stare at the keyboard and they sat in silence for a long, pregnant moment before she finally relented, her shoulders drooping. She explained that the Xocili had been fighting against the Nazru before she had even been born, brought into the world aboard a refugee ship by her mother. A mere two years later, the ship had been found and almost everyone had been slaughtered, though it seemed the Nazru took their time with most. Eventually she was all that remained and she informed him that he was not the first to control her, nor even the one that truly had any influence over her. She was used to her position and remarked dryly that the Nazru at least gave her a window.

She flashed him as fake a smile as he had ever seen before she turned back to the piano and continued to plug more notes out as she asked if he was satisfied. “Hardly,” he replied, a clear lack of empathy for her sad tale in his voice. “As far as the greater galaxy knows, the Nazru wiped your people out. There is not one being that has heard of the Nazru that doesn’t understand what their mission and purpose is. The Xocili would prove quite the fanatical quandary for them, which is why I imagine they enacted their version of divine justice upon your people. Then why not obliterate you completely? Why leave you alive?”

It was a pointed question, as what she explained went against everything he knew about the Nazru. He’d done his part in avoiding the fanatical race, not looking to draw more attention to himself than he needed. He leaned back on the couch as he steepled his hands in front of him. “More importantly, you misunderstand your purpose to me. Your ‘leash’ as you so savagely put it is meant to be a precaution, a failsafe. I’d much rather us work as partners but you’ve made your feelings for me quite clear so it seems impossible that I can let my guard down around you without finding some kind of sharp object embedded in my back.”

“You don’t understand the sheer wonder you are to someone like me. The perfect symbiotic creation of machine and organic matter is something even the greatest scientists only dream of.” He fell quiet for a moment as he observed her, his mind processing away while he wore a look of neutrality. “For what it’s worth, which I understand to you isn’t much, I am sorry for what happened to your people. I won’t pretend to have an overabundance of empathy but I do recognize a tragedy when I see one.” He sighed softly as he let his hands rest on his lap, averting his gaze momentarily. After another silent beat, he turned his attention back to her. “I’d like to ask you a personal question. If you were freed of the Nazru’s control -- if you could have their leash taken off of you -- what would you do then? I saw the way you ripped apart Queen Kuttuvan. That kind of anger and hatred rarely comes with forgiveness, at least not easily. Would you seek to destroy them? Or would you simply run away and hope not to be found, like the refugees on that ship?”

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 22nd May 2023, 7:35 pm

Mercury Banner
    She wove her tale of woe, if not with as much outright self-pity. Mercury was complying with his wish for more information for the time being, but clearly she did not expect any empathy from him. He wasted no time in admitting that he held little satisfaction out of her story, finding himself armed only with more questions. Maker explained his understanding of what the Nazru had done to her people, what their entire purpose and goal was, and as such he was sure that they purged her people with extreme prejudice, which begged the question: Why was she the sole Xocili that they had kept in their arsenal.

“Because I was the only one with potential. It was a slow and bitter statement, each word more deeply emphasized with simmering contempt and resentment as the sentence came to an end, her fingers hitting the keys of the piano with noticeably more force.

He continued, claiming that she didn’t correctly grasp what it was he truly wanted from her. He only had her under a vice grip because he knew that she hated him, and that if he did not keep her under constant guard that he would quickly pay for it with his life. But the only thing he wanted was a business partnership with her, a joint venture where together they could join the brilliance of both of their minds to see what wonders they could craft alongside one another. To him, she was a wonder, a miracle unlike anything found in the entire universe.

Mercury said nothing in response to his pretty words, listening but letting her stubbornness to not be entirely complicit win out. After a moment of silence he offered his condolences about her people, though he admitted his understanding that she might be skeptical of his sympathies – which were genuine, if not from a place of empathy. Still, she was silent. Another beat later and he posed a personal question, hoping that he would indulge her. What he wanted to know was what she would do if she could be freed from the Nazru’s control. Would she do as she did with Zifu, going out of her way to wipe them out as they had done her people? Or would she simply do her best to stay out of sight?

“I don’t care what the Nazru do,” was her authentic, if flat, reply. “If the opportunity presented itself for me to feasibly dispose of them I can’t say I wouldn’t take it… but I know my limits. I don’t have that kind of power, and I’ve already learned my lesson on the dangers of thinking that I – or anyone – does.”

For a moment it seemed like she might leave her commentary there, but there was the barest of struggles on her face that betrayed her contemplating mind. Soon enough, she was speaking again. “You know, for all my contempt of her, Sabine and I weren’t all that different. She was obsessed with trying to win Vandrad over because she saw his strength, knew that he had what she needed to secure her family’s place in the world, to crush their enemies and raise her to the station she believed herself worthy of. She didn’t love him; he was merely an effective tool to make her ends meet. Likewise, I suffered through his insufferable mannerisms because he was the first and only person who ever made me believe that maybe, just maybe, if I played my cards right, I could eek out a little corner of independence for myself among people that actually had the power to protect me whenever the Nazru eventually came calling.”

It was a weighty confession, that her feelings for Vandrad – and by extension, his family – might not have run quite so deep as appearances would lead one to believe. Surely she cared for him in her own way, but for a woman that had grown up in the circumstances she had, trust was hard to find and authentic love difficult to believe in. “You want to know the real reason I hate you?” she finally asked, still playing thoughtlessly on the piano, her voice quiet and without any overabundance of anger. “Yeah, you tried to kill Vandrad, but that wasn’t what really bothered me. He was my way out. Or at least, I allowed myself to believe that he was. Sabine almost robbed me of that, and she paid the price, but you were the one pulling the strings, threatening everything that I was working toward…”

“But the truth is, that was never going to last. I knew that from the start. I was just tired of… everything. So I clung to a delusion, told myself there was no harm in playing out a fantasy for a while. I can’t deny that a part of me was curious to explore the more mundane and pedestrian, even romantic, aspects of life that everyone else in the universe takes for granted. I can’t deny that it felt… nice… to feel like someone cared enough to put me first, to fight for me and take care of me, even if it was only temporarily.”

“I told you once that, had we met under different circumstances, it is highly likely that I wouldn’t have taken as much of a position of opposition against you. Outside of the people that I had collected to shield me, I really couldn’t have cared less what you did with everyone else on this backwater planet; between you and the Nazru, it’s slated for destruction no matter what. I find my small joys here and there, but to be perfectly fucking honest with you, all I ever wanted was a way out, and I didn’t particularly care about the how.”

It was a startling and humbling revelation of suicidal ideation, but the Xocili didn’t stop there. “I don’t hate you because you tried to kill Vandrad, or his family. I don’t give a fuck what you do on this planet, Maker. But you had me killed… And then you elected to feed your selfish ambition and brought me back. Her anger finally rose to the surface and she stood to her feet in a swift and impassioned movement, flinging the keyboard across the room in a fit of fury unlike anything he would have seen from her before.

When she finally turned to look at him, she seemed to be unaware of the moisture in her eyes as she let him see the raw emotions that had been steadily building within her for a very long time, without the filter of her mask. “You robbed me of my freedom twice over: The freedom I was pretending I could have in life, and then the freedom that I had finally achieved in death.”

The tears began to leak down her cheeks as a false smile tugged on her lips, the Xocili laughing quietly and mirthlessly at her own unamusing situation. “You want to know why the Nazru let me live? Why they kept me around? Because it’s really, really stupid. They took delight in the oppression of my people, killing most of us outright, but by the time they came toward the end of our genocide they decided they would reward themselves with a little fun by taking their time in completing the last leg of their mission. They cut us open and installed some organic mass inside of us that they could use to track us, just in case any of us ever got lucky and escaped. They hated a lot of things about us, but one of our biggest crimes was the fact that Xocili bodies can’t scar. Our skin will always, always, heal itself completely of any blemishes after enough time. Every single one of us… except for me. My wound from their little surgery on me never faded… and that made me beautiful.”

“And the truly best part of that is that to this day I have absolutely no idea why I have that scar. It should be genetically impossible. But for a culture that treats such blemishes as a symbol of status, it was all they needed to decide that someday I alone, of all Xocili, could be redeemed. So they kept me alive, raised me and fashioned me into a tool and a weapon, and sent me out into the universe to spread their influence. And until I came here, that was the only existence I knew; until I was stupid enough to let myself believe that I could have more.”

Shaking her head, she peeled her eyes away from him and sank back onto the piano bench where she finally broke down in earnest. Resting her elbows on her knees and her face in her hands, her anger finally gave way to sorrow as she openly wept. “Why did you have to bring me back..?”

WORDS: 1487/4187 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 23rd May 2023, 9:38 am

Maker

words: 2017/4983. tag: @Mercury Arseneault . notes:
    Maker had put forth the question as to why the Nazru, a fanatical race that abhorred technology, had not only kept Mercury alive but had fashioned her into a tool for their purposes. And she had a simple answer for it; she was the only one with potential, though that lacked very little in terms of explanation. Of course Maker saw the potential now that they had seemingly seen; she was witty, sharp and capable of embedding herself in civilizations with very little effort. But it seemed unlikely that the Nazru were able to measure such a range of potential in such a young child, unless they had a means of scanning that went beyond even the scope of material technology. Still, he made a note of her comment and continued with his own thoughts and words. After all, she had made up this image of him that wasn’t entirely accurate, at least when it came to his views of her. And while he’d never claim to be the most emotionally available or aware, he did feel sorry for the loss of her people. It wasn’t out of a place of true care but rather, as a scientist and scholar, the destruction of her people was a travesty on the evolutionary process. It was the Nazru that were the hindrance; zealots too self-righteous in their own beliefs to even consider the possibility of growth. Or so he heard.

And that brought him to his final, more personalized question; what would she do about the Nazru if she gained her freedom? Surprisingly, she admitted that she didn’t care what they did. But she elaborated, explaining that she would happily destroy them if she was given the opportunity and ability. Yet, as she saw it, she had her limits and she lacked the kind of power to cause that level of destruction. And she had seen firsthand what came about if she believed, even for a moment, if she or anyone else could solve that problem. A curious statement to leave her thoughts on but Maker could see her mind working and remained silent, watching as she wrestled internally before coming to a decision. She explained that while she hated Sabine, she also recognized how similar they were. The Midian princess had recognized the benefit of having someone of Vandrad’s caliber in her corner, the strength that came from aligning her family with his. It wasn’t love so much as it was an instinct to survive and dominate. Mercury realized she, too, had clung to Vandrad because he offered the possibility, however slight, that she could gain some semblance of independence. If she stayed near Vandrad and his kin, she would be allied with those that could very well stand against the Nazru.

It went against what the Dread Masters had believed. It seemed that Mercury had well and truly fallen for the former prince and his family. Yet, given the background she had provided and the truths that he knew himself, it actually made more sense than the overall belief. She turned the subject to him and asked if he wanted to know why she really hated him. He didn’t answer, letting her carry on her thoughts as she explained that killing Vandrad had been an issue but it wasn’t the deeper seeded problem. It was the fact that he had tried to rob her of her chance at freedom. It had been Sabine that enacted the attempt but it had been Maker that had sent her on her way, manipulating her and using her for his own benefit and threatening the progress Mercury had believed she was making.

Yet even she knew it wasn’t going to last forever. She had just reached a place of overwhelming exhaustion that she couldn't help but romanticize the illusion. She’d even pondered what it would be like to go full native and admittedly, it had felt nice to feel like someone cared for her, prioritized her and would fight anything that came their way for her. The dashing knight complex. She reminded him that some time before, she’d said that under different circumstances, they may not have been completely on opposite sides. She didn’t really care what happened to the greater world, instead only protecting the small group of people she had come to hope would provide a viable defense. As she saw it, the planet was doomed no matter who was holding the trigger. All she wanted was a way out, nothing more and she didn’t particularly care where it came from.

And she continued, stating that she didn’t hate him for his multiple assassination attempts against Vandrad or his family. She didn’t care what he did on or to the planet. But what well and truly bothered her was the fact that he had her killed and then, through his own selfish desires, had returned her to life. It was then that her anger reached its breaking point, the Xocili lifting to her feet and flinging the keyboard with such intensity that it shattered almost instantly. It was a swell of rage unlike what he’d seen from her but despite the intensity of it, Maker remained sitting comfortably, looking at her with a neutral gaze. His head cocked slightly as she turned to face him, tears threatening the edges of her eyes, as she accused him of robbing her of freedom twice over; the one she had been falsifying in life and the one she had gained in death. Crying and laughing at her own terrible musings and stock, she asked if he knew why the Nazru kept her alive. Apparently it was for a truly asinine reason and she elaborated, explaining that the zealots had taken joy in oppression but eventually, they opted to change their tactics -- give themselves glory by extending the cull of the Xocili people.

They implanted some kind of mass in their bodies to track the Xocili survivors, just in case they escaped. Apparently one of the higher crimes in the Nazru’s eyes was the fact that the Xocili couldn’t blemish, healing even the worst of scars. Mercury was the only one that had been operated on and wound up with a scar and it had made her beautiful in the eyes of the Nazru, making them believe that she was meant to redeem the rest of her people. She didn’t understand why or how it had happened but it had made her an icon, an example to be raised and trained as they saw fit so she could act as their herald, just as he had presumed. And she had done so without question until Earthland, when it all had come crashing down.

With the levies broken, she came crashing down, collapsing onto the bench she had summoned and crying into her hands as all of her emotions came out in force. Maker continued to observe her even as she pitifully asked why he had brought her back. It was a long few beats before he finally did something; he moved, standing up and walking towards and around her until he was standing in front of her. Slowly he got down onto one knee in front of her. “Because it seems I owe you a debt,” he said, matter-of-factually. “Would you believe that I didn’t wish for them to destroy you? Unfortunately, my stock within the Dread Masters was rather low before I self-mediated expulsion. Scourge had attempted to sway them away from sending an overwhelming amount of soldiers to you and I recognized his ploy and doubled down on it. I’d hoped that you would come out of the matter victorious. Alas, I overestimated the Dread Master’s abilities and for that, I am sorry.”

His head tilted slightly. “I do not blame you for hating me for robbing you of your attempts at freedom. Truly, I hadn’t put any thought into the matter and, in all honesty, I don’t know if it would have dissuaded me from my attempts on Vandrad and his kin. But what I can tell you is that I would have offered you another means of freedom; mine. The du Wolff clan carries much power but power is nothing without the wit and means to back it up, something I believe you know very well by now. Vandrad possessed might but he lacked the capabilities to keep up with you. That and his emotional spectrum is damaged beyond repair.”

“Not that mine is much better,” he admitted, letting out a small, mirthless chuckle at his own expense. “The difference being that I was born without the ability to well and truly feel empathy. From the moment I could think for myself and remember, all I saw was…chaos. A world ruled by unseen forces and laws that begged questions but never provided answers. And people that were simply satisfied with that; my own people believed themselves to have reached the pinnacle of their ability to gain knowledge. I introduced aspects and thought processes that they never even considered and rather than question or attempt to follow, they simply applauded my breakthroughs and pushed me to create more. I became an ever-producing machine for them to benefit off of while they sat on their laurels and praised themselves.”

“But,” he said softly, taking a small breath as he refocused on her. “This isn’t the time for my own attempt at self-pity. I have robbed you, twice, of your attempts to gain freedom. Now I would like to expand upon my earlier offer.” He reached out and placed a hand on her shoulder gently. “Your revival is your second chance. I meant what I said earlier; I never wished to detain you on a leash, least of all one that feels as constrictive as the Nazru. You and I can challenge our reality’s laws and rules, together, and bring about an order to a world mad with chaos. I have never encountered anyone that could match me on equal ground until I came across you. Together, in equal partnership, we could become a force unparalleled. I have no destructive goal for this planet; there are sacrifices that need to be made, those that would oppose me, but I don’t wish to bring about an end to this world. There are still too many mysteries here to solve. But through answers and discoveries, we can even bring an end to the Nazru. Not only do I offer freedom but salvation for the wrongs that have been done to you and your people.”

“And the only price I ask is equal partnership. The Nazru were right; you have potential but so much more than their narrow minds could ever envision. Together, you and I, we could become the unstoppable force. You don't need Vandrad or his family anymore. You will be your own shield and sword.” His hand moved from her shoulder and, carefully, brushed through her hair. “You are not beautiful because of your scars. You are beautiful because of what you are. The pinnacle of life, the apex of evolution… You are the most beautiful marvel this universe has to offer.”

He held his gaze on hers for several long seconds, his eyes seemingly overcome with… actual emotion. After that short period of his own guard being down, his gaze softened again. “You don’t need to provide an answer right now. I understand such a request takes time to process and it is already late enough as it is. You know where to find me. I have no demands or requests on projects at the moment. I’d rather you spend your time truly considering what you’d like to do with this second life of yours.” Once more he brushed his hand through her hair, taking in the sight of her locks sliding between his fingers before he stood up. “I am… sorry, that I robbed you of your freedoms before. Truly.” With that last moment, he finally walked past her, leaving the room in its current state as he aimed to leave the room and the Xocili to her own thoughts.

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 23rd May 2023, 5:45 pm

Mercury Banner
    It had been a quiet couple of days. Mercury had cast her lure and like a fish Maker hadn't hesitated to be ensnared by it, watching her emotional state crumble and decay before his eyes and jumping at the chance to find opportunity in her seeming moment of weakness. Mercury wasn't an idiot, of course. She had allowed for the possibility that he was more aware of her actions than she wanted. However, she was extremely confident that she had him entirely fooled.

And oh, how he had played the game. Mercury couldn't help but be impressed at how smoothly he had transitioned into a mostly benevolent individual that was all care and tenderness and attentiveness. And despite everything, Mercury couldn't help but feel that not all of his words and actions were truly a front. Sure he was playing up certain things for her benefit, trying to coax her into his corner like a wounded animal, but despite everything she did truly believe that he cared about her in his own selfish, twisted, non-romantic way. Not really for her as an individual, but rather the value she represented in the scientific world. And so he went the extra mile in her moment of depression, reaching out to her both emotionally and physically, even having a brief minute where she had been caught off guard by an astonishingly genuine expression from him that she couldn't describe.

But he had since more or less left her to her own devices, giving her some time with her thoughts to ponder his offer. She still saw him daily and they still worked together on various assignments that he made available, but Mercury had been abnormally quiet. She never spoke unless it was directly related to a project or out of some sort of necessity, though that wasn’t out of any attempt to give him the cold shoulder. If anything, she was a melancholy about her. Sure she performed her work with exemplary results, but the passion and the interest wasn’t really there. It was more like she was going through the motions because there was nothing else she could do, but everything she did and said felt empty. Hollow. Even in the times that she was by herself and he was able to view her through his security set up, the Xocili was consistent in her state of disinterest with… well, everything.

And she wasn’t the only one. Maker had been quiet, too. Not just quiet, but also not quite as… invested in his work as he usually was. She had yet to piece together if that was a show he was putting on for her benefit or if he was genuinely affected by her own mood and the emotional interaction they’d last had. Either way, he did not pressure her about making any kind of decision, carrying on with a semblance of relative normalcy, despite the obvious air of tension and rawness that she was carrying with her.

There had been one major change, however, that he had not picked up on as far as she was aware. For the last two days, it had not been the clone within the bunker but Mercury herself, real and true. Now that he was aware that she was capable of wielding her magic unimpeded – a fact that, if he had questioned at all, she would have admitted had been the case for the vast majority of her months with him since her awakening – there was little reason in not using it from time to time as needed for various work or passing of time. Soon enough, it was no longer necessarily a point of concern if he felt or observed her casting a spell. Sure, there was always the possibility that she could surprise him with a sneak attack of some kind, but that never came to fruition. As such it had made it a fairly simple task for her to swap herself in for her own body double, masking the effort under the guise of another mundane spell that wouldn’t draw too much of his attention.

Vandrad hadn’t been thrilled about the plan, of course. He trusted her and her skills, certainly. This was the kind of work that she had literally been bred for and doing all her life. But they both understood that Maker was still largely an unknown, and by far their biggest threat outside of anything related to Faera and the gods and demons. However, things with the Terran were in a delicate balance now, and the time had come to give it her complete focus, without distraction. She needed to be entirely certain that she had Maker wrapped up in her game and not the other way around.

Her day started as it always did, with the Xocili woken by an internal alarm that helped her keep track of the time, seeing as how there weren’t any windows to allow for real sunlight to judge the passing of time. She was slow to get up and moving, which had become increasingly more common as the months had drawn on, particularly since her little outburst, laying in the bed he’d provided her and simply staring up at the ceiling, though he’d know that she was capable of performing certain functions in her head without the need of a handheld device. Eventually she dragged herself out and to her feet, doffing the tank top of shorts that she typically slept in and changing into a fresh set of clothes for the day. With very little energy, she moved into the bathroom she had been afforded and cleaned herself up, utilizing the facilities and brushing her teeth and hair.

As the strokes of her hairbrush slowed to a stop, she set the tool down and seemed to find herself staring at her reflection in the mirror. Mercury’s expression didn’t change, but after a moment she would turn her head slightly, lifting a hand and running it slowly through her short purple locks with neutral consideration. Her fingers lingered momentarily on the side of her face where Maker had stroked the lavender strands several days prior. Then there was the slightest of shifts, not so much an uplifting of her spirit but it was… something. Through the use of her genetic abilities, her hair began to visibly grow until it was long and lucious, reaching down to her waist. Mercury played with it for a couple minutes in the mirror, fashioning the strands until she was satisfied with the outcome.

Then, she moved on and made her way into the kitchen to grab a cup of coffee and some breakfast, bringing both with her into the lab so she could begin her day. Maker hadn’t arrived yet, though she was sure he was aware she was up and about. He didn’t stay in the bunker, usually retreating at the end of each day to whatever location he had set up as his primary residence and leaving her to her devices for the evenings, but she was certain that he typically woke up earlier than she did and started working on the things that he was keeping out of her reach. Inserting consciousness into the local network, Mercury pulled up some music and turned on the speakers until a track of instrumental soft rock songs filled the room at a medium volume.

With the sound breaking up the silence of the room and providing some relaxing ambiance, she pulled up the new prototype he had her working on and began tinkering away. When Maker did finally join her, she didn’t turn to him or say anything, or even really stop what she was doing, as had been her habit the last few days. However, she did gently switch off the music with a thought, so as to not disturb or distract him.

WORDS: 1311/5498 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 23rd May 2023, 7:13 pm

Maker

words: 766/5749. tag: @Mercury Arseneault . notes:
    Maker had made his offer. And, good on his word, he had let the subject alone without pomp or circumstance. As far as he saw it, it was up to her to follow up; most likely to ask further questions. A woman of Mercury’s wit and intelligence wouldn’t just up and agree to anything without wanting to know more details. That was, of course, counting that she was willing to deal with the matter at all. She’d continued to be withdrawn and quiet over the next several days, working at the same pace she had but without much comment. Strangely enough he, too, had been less chatty than normal, speaking when it came to important matters but outside of that, keeping to himself. It also seemed like he wasn’t as committed to his projects as he had been before their interaction, the tiniest bit of distraction in his focus that no one but the most trained eyes would pick up on.

Was it a ruse? Was it a ploy to further embed the thought that he was genuine in his commitment of wanting to help her? It was hard to tell. The truth of the matter was, Maker himself didn’t quite know. He’d hoped that over time she would come to become more trustworthy and grow more invested in him and his work but he’d calculated the odds of that being rather low. But he hadn’t expected so much information from her in such a short amount of time and it was an overwhelming amount of data. It painted a picture of her struggle at the hands of the Nazru and truly how terrible the zealots were. Before coming to Earthland, the Terran would never have considered coming into conflict with the Nazru. Even with all of his gained knowledge, he wasn’t entirely confident in his ability to wipe them out. Now, frankly, he saw their existence as a hindrance to the greater universe. Annihilating them had been added to his long list of tasks and it wasn’t necessarily near the bottom either.

But despite the several security measures he had to observe and watch Mercury, he didn’t. Watching her felt like weakness now; like a hopeless romantic waiting for his lover to say yes to a proposal. He hardly had the time to pine over her ruminations when he had much to accomplish and plan for. So he went about his business, even if a portion of his mind couldn’t help but wonder, even in spite of his best efforts. And days went by without further comment or advancement with her.

The morning had started much the same as it had every other morning. Maker was up early and had gone through his morning routine. A stretching session, followed by a rigorous cardio workout and then a shower to wash off the sleep and the sweat. With Mercury’s new implant, he was able to command his mechanical clones to prepare his breakfast for him; a shake compiled of all the nutrients he would need to get his day going. And then he was diving headfirst into his work, checking on the status of several ongoing projects alongside his clones. Once he’d notated the progress, he carried on with a few more hands-on issues he had to take care of before he finally returned to the bunker that served as Mercury’s primary housing and operational location.

He’d received a notification that she had begun moving around but he had simply ignored it. But he knew he’d find her in the lab as he entered. Rather than the half-dressed garb he’d been in the last time they’d had any kind of decent conversation, he was wearing a formal shirt with a lab coat over it. A pair of large, rounded glasses with surprisingly thin frames adorned his face as he studied a holographic projection emanating from a device in the palm of his hand. “Morning,” he said simply, unbothered by the volume of music she was playing as he moved over to one of his stations and transferred the holographic image to the table reader, projecting the item on a grid. It looked to be a shard of some sort, composed of a metal that the scanner couldn’t identify. As he studied the analytical graphs that appeared on the display, he became distracted as she turned down the music, seemingly in an attempt to not bother him. “The music is fine. You can keep it at whatever level you wish,” he told her kindly, only glancing over his shoulder at her briefly before returning to the scan.

Last edited by Vandrad Ragnos on 24th May 2023, 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 23rd May 2023, 8:35 pm

Mercury Banner
    She didn’t say anything in response to his greeting, the only acknowledgement of his presence being her lowering the volume of the music. His invitation for her to keep it on, however, did at least earn him a small pause, her head shifting just the tiniest bit in his direction without actually looking at him outright. Mercury nodded her understanding when he glanced at her and she turned it back on, though the volume was marginally quieter than it had been. Still loud enough to hear clearly but lower than it was before.

In turning her head, however, she did notice the image he had pulled up on his holographic terminal. Whether out of a sense of curiosity or simply assuming that he’d want a hand, Mercury abandoned the prototype she was working on for the moment. She collected her coffee, the dark liquid still steaming as the rich aroma wafted up to caress her nostrils, and quietly came over to stand near him at the table so she could get a better look. It appeared to be some fragment of metal, as of yet unidentified.

“Earthland?” she asked, her voice finally breaking the air to inquire as to the origins of the item, or at least where he had discovered it. Mercury was already scanning the image with her eyes, visually downloading all the data and running it through her immense databases and universal access for any hits. Whether he knew where the metal was from or not, she would nod again in quiet understanding. “I don’t recognize it offhand. I’m running it through some searches, but it will take some time. Any theories..?” Even for her, swimming through so much universal data wouldn’t result in a snap answer, though she could certainly process the information much faster than just about any computer known to mankind.

She lifted the cup to her face and blew softly on the surface of the dark liquid inside before pressing it to her lips and taking a sip. Her eyes glanced idly around and settled briefly on the reflective surface of a nearby monitor that had yet to be turned on, where she caught a more full look at his face. He was wearing a white lab coat, which was not unlike him, but the glasses were new. Did they serve some kind of purpose, she wondered, or was this simply a fashion choice like Vandrad occasionally made? Not that she would complain either way. Much like her fiance, Maker was all the more attractive with the thin spectacles and she found her attention lingering on his reflection perhaps a touch longer than she’d really meant. That, and the nice business-like attire that he wore beneath. Stars, she was a sucker for a well dressed person.

Setting her hormones and side and keeping herself focused, Mercury cradled the mug gently against her chest. “This is good.” It was the first non-work related comment she’d made in days, the Xocili indicating quietly to the liquid in her hands. She’d recently be running low on her stocks of the stuff and, given that she relied on Maker to supply her with sustenance, had humbly asked him to bring some. He hadn’t skimped on the request, getting a hold of some higher quality beans for her instead of just the basic stuff, though she hadn’t really asked him to go that far. “Thank you.”

There was a pregnant silence as she lingered next to him, despite the fact that there was little she could do to help with the shard he was examining until her search had run its course. Then, after a moment of weighted silence, she spoke again. “Hey, can I… ask you a question? I’ve been wondering something for a while and hadn’t really been able to reach my own conclusion on my own. At this point it just… seems simpler to ask you outright and hope you’ll be honest with me. You’re not… planning on turning me into some weird, bio-synthetic, alchemical hermaphrodite, are you?”

With her question posed, she finally turned just enough to look at him, really the first time she’d made direct eye contact for longer than a second or two in some time, her face not on him fully but her emerald eyes lifted enough to establish the connection. While it was certainly a comical question objectively, the straightness of her expression conveyed that she wasn’t asking for comedic purposes.

WORDS: 742/6240 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 24th May 2023, 9:46 am

Maker

words: 1087/6836. tag: @Mercury Arseneault . notes:
    Truthfully, Maker had brought the holographic display with purpose. It was a small seed of curiosity that he knew Mercury would see and want to learn more about. Whether her questions came immediately or later, he would still have planted the desire to investigate in her mind. Counting that she leaned more in the direction of wanting to expand upon his offer, it would provide a meaningful and impactful path to opening up the broader aspects of his operation to her. Nonetheless, she didn’t wait very long before she joined him at his side as she inspected the display before him. She asked if it was from Earthland and he gave a soft shake of his head. “Not quite. I brought it to Earthland,” he clarified, partially, as he ran his hand across his chin in thought. She admitted that she didn’t recognize it after a cursory glance but she was running a deeper diagnostic. She asked if he had any theories. “I know what it comes from and I do have a theory, yes. It’s just that this is the only sample I have so testing it to clarify and prove my theory is near impossible. At the moment, I can only assume I’m correct based on what I’ve observed and know. But that doesn’t quite keep me from wondering and speculating on alternative options.” He admitted the last part with a gentle, amused chuckle, more at his own inability to stick to a conclusion.

As he stood beside her looking at the sample, she remarked over the coffee. He turned his head just enough to look at the cup. She had asked that he get some coffee beans, as it seemed a habit and a substance she truly enjoyed. In light of their conversation from days before and the atmosphere of her believed existence, Maker had gone out of his way to retrieve the highest quality coffee product on the market. He’d procured more than enough for her to last several months, wanting to provide what little happiness he could, despite everything. But he was more surprised that she was commenting on it, as it was, in fact, the first thing she’d said casually. Everything else had been in regards to projects or the work she or he was working on. It was her first trip into casual conversation in several days. “You’re welcome,” he said, bowing her head slightly to her, his gaze lingering for a moment longer.

She’d done something to her hair. It was… unusually long. The fact that he had missed it was surprising and he found himself staring at her in wonder, his eyes trailing down the flowing river of amethyst that now, miraculously, reached the small of her back. He had assumed that her magic was something related to technology or, at least, electrical and metal manipulation. As a being of pure machinery and organic material, it made sense that through her magic, she would be able to do similar manipulation with her body. But her hair follicles… were they saturated in the same elements that made up the rest of her body? Did that mean she could lengthen and shorten her hair on a whim? It made the question of what she could or couldn’t do even broader, opening a wide range of options that he may not have considered before.

After a few moments of what he imagined was awkward staring, he turned his attention back to the shard. He was just about to reach forward to open up a different analysis screen when she spoke up softly. She asked if she could put forth a question to him and he gave another nod of agreement. She continued, stating that she had been in wonder for some time and hadn’t been able to conceive a purpose by herself so it seemed easier to just ask him and hope that he felt the need to provide the truth. He turned a bit more to her, now more than a little curious. She asked if he was planning on turning her into some kind of alchemical hermaphroditic atrocity. His brain ran rapid fire through all of the projects she had been given, wondering if there was some kind of evidence to why she would have come to that conclusion. None provided an answer so, instead, he thought of some of the other projects stored in the bunker that she hadn’t been given access to. Ah, Project Rebis…

He stared back at her for a long moment, considering her with a neutral gaze. His head cocked slightly. “Well… not anymore, now that you’ve spoiled the surprise,” he replied casually as he turned back to the screen. He let that answer hang for a beat. But he didn’t remain fully turned long before he twisted enough to look back at her and a small, self-amused smirk tugged at his mouth. “That… was a joke,” he clarified for her. “I’ve told you several times now that your existence is a wonder to me and to evolution as a whole. The perfect merger of synthetic and organic in one living organism. It was long believed to be only achievable through scientific manipulation rather than evolution. I was curious to see if I could use some of this world’s extraordinary means to ‘create’ something similar. Lacking life; I would never assume that I could create a soul. More of a vessel. I haven’t actually made much progress on it since you were brought to me; I put much more focus in learning about you. So no, I have no intention of turning you into a ‘weird, bio-synthetic, alchemical hermaphrodite’. I imagine, given your ability to manifest advanced machinery, you could create a wearable phallic object without my intervention anyways.” He paused for a moment before he continued. “I like the change you made to your hair, by the way.”

He turned back to the screen and opened up several other displays of graphical information. “So that is an example of the projects I hadn’t assigned you then?” he asked, doing very little to hide the amusement in his tone. “I can see why you’d be concerned about that one in particular. Exactly how many of those projects can I mark as having been reviewed by a peer?” He turned his head to look at her. There was the slightest touch of playfulness in his tone and on his face, an almost relaxation in comparison to how he had been over the past several days.

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 24th May 2023, 11:02 am

Mercury Banner
    He answered her question about the shard with… well, a whole lot of non-information, confirming he had brought the artifact to Earthland and had a theory that he wasn’t beholden to just yet without actually telling her what the theory was. While her expression remained stoic she couldn’t help the internal amused eye roll that went through her mind. Keeping her thoughts to herself on the matter for now, she instead turned the attention briefly to the coffee, allowing herself a moment to catch him a little off guard with a non-essential related topic, the first such she’d made in some time. Mercury thanked him for the items he’d provided, maintaining her low energy despite the fact that, in truth, he’d brought her some really good shit that she was going to want to take home after her time in the bunker was over.

He accepted her gratitude graciously, turning to look at her almost at the same time that she was viewing his reflection in the monitor. Maker was only just noticing the change she’d made to her hair, it seemed. He studied the follicles briefly with no indication as to if he was doing so from a scientific standpoint or a more base one. It was possible it was both. But, after a couple moments of staring at it he made no comments and asked no questions, instead turning his attention back to the table, only for her to draw his attention back with her odd question.

It took a moment for the Terran to have a response, his mind likely scrambling to figure out what in the hell she was talking about until he finally turned to meet her gaze. With a completely straight face he remarked that he wouldn’t be anymore, not now that she had ruined the surprise. It took everything in Mercury’s power to hold her tongue and not make a joke back, reminding herself that she needed to be playing a part. But boy was it funny. Using the moment as a means to help break the ice a little more, she turned away only a beat after he did. “Yeah, I gathered as much, thanks,” was her dry remark to his admission that it was a joke. She had the barest of wry smirks on her lips, the first such expression of any kind of positive emotion she’d show in days, even if it only lasted for a second or two before disappearing as quickly as it had come.

He reiterated his prior statements from their previous conversation about his viewpoint on her as a species and an evolutionary wonder, claiming in not so many words that Project Rebis had been a former attempt of his to create a being such as herself in the past. Or at least, as much as one could create a living creature without the ability to fabricate a soul. However, ever since she’d entered the picture the project had fallen to the wayside as she was a far more complex, harmonious, and naturally existing individual that was far superior to what he was attempting to create. Doubling down, he assured her that he had no place to perform any weird surgeries involving her genitals, remarking that if she really wanted a phallus of some kind she could likely craft one herself using her magic. Which was entirely correct, of course, but in the interest of presenting herself as a woman struggling to come out of the shell she had hidden herself into, she elected not to comment.

Mercury was mid sip when he finally chose to remark upon her hair, complimenting the change. Seemingly without thought, she reached up a freehand and brushed some of it back from her face without looking at him. “Thanks…”

That would seem to be the end of it, though in truth this was all just a lead-in to open up other topics of dialogue. The Terran opened up a few other pages of research even as he asked if her question was an example of the projects that she had gotten into without his permission, clearly more amused than upset with her. He admitted his understanding toward her concern about that, asking outright if she was willing to relay what other things she had gotten into. Maker was being playful with her, if gently, likely trying to do his part to coax her out and honestly looking a bit more lively than he had the last few days. Mercury looked up at him for a couple long seconds, meeting his eyes with her emerald ones in quiet contemplation and consideration.

Eventually, she looked back down at the cup of coffee in her hands. “I don’t think you can really consider that one peer reviewed. I wasn’t able to access anything but the project name. The name itself was just niche enough to make an educated guess as to the contents.” Another beat of silence went by before she let out a soft exhale of a sigh from her nostrils. Relenting, Mercury summoned a tablet and offered it to him. There, he would be able to review exactly what projects she had gotten into without his knowledge, and how far into them she had gone. Not only that, but he would see that the vast majority of them were ones that she had completed on her own, the time stamps showing that many of the problems and solutions had been solved for several months and just not shared with him – including one where he had been trying to make changes to his personal mainframe that would make it almost ironclad against being hacked, even by herself.

Turning around, she stayed nearby but leaned back against the edge of the table, still holding the warm mug in her hands as she waited for him to review everything. “I can fabricate more of that metal shard, too, if you want extra pieces to play with. As long as you have the molecular composition of it for me to download, I can use my magic to make as many authentic pieces as you want.”

Whether he provided any commentary or questions about her work or not, there would be several long beats of silence before she spoke again. “How would you do it..?” Mercury asked him quietly, almost timidly. “The Nazru are… nigh invulnerable. And there’s billions of them. Your offer is a lot of really pretty words, but I don’t see how any one person is capable of taking them all out once and for all…” It was her attempt at revisiting their prior conversation, starting with what was honestly the biggest question. He had put himself on the table as a solution, but she had been under the thumb and control of the Nazru for a very long time. Like any slave, she had been raised and conditioned to not question her place in life, to accept her circumstances as they were, and to believe that her handlers were so far above her that they were untouchable. If she was going to truly consider him as a viable option for freedom, she needed some kind of reassurance that he could do as he said he could.

WORDS: 1205/7445 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 24th May 2023, 12:58 pm

Maker

words: 1065/7901. tag: @Mercury Arseneault . notes:
    Well, at least he had, somewhat, broken through the barrier. His clarification over his jovial remark was met with her own dry comment but there was the smallest of smirks on her lips, betraying her amusement, if only a little. But Maker wasn’t one to make mountains out of molehills, as the human phrase went. He knew like any good experiment, it was a process to reach a satisfactory conclusion and one small gesture of amusement wasn’t going to rectify the issues that she had put forth. Nonetheless, he continued his explanation to what she had discovered, assuring her that he didn’t have any plans to alter her in any way, shape or form. With that explanation out of the way, he took a moment to compliment her change in hair, wanting to address the matter rather than simply ignore it. It seemed rather silly to pretend nothing had changed, when clearly something had.

That ran deeper than just her hair, ironically.

Instead of falling back into complete and utter silence, he decided to refocus onto the topic of Project Rebis and the other projects that she had alluded to working on. He looked down to her and she met his gaze evenly, the Xocili processing her thoughts in silence before she finally looked down into her coffee and explained that he shouldn’t mark it. She’d only been able to access the name but none of the information inside of it. She just knew the term well enough to guesstimate on what the contents of it were. “I suppose that’s fair. Partly my fault; I learned of the rebis during my studies and was amusingly fascinated with it that I chose it to be the project name. I can see how it was… confusing,” he admitted, even as he activated a deeper analysis on the holograph. She let out a sigh, drawing his attention back to her and in the instant his eyes focused on her, she materialized a tablet and held it out to him. He glanced at the device for a moment before taking it in his hand, turning it to face himself as he found project after project, all his own, that she had reviewed, solved and marked as complete.

He ran his finger across the screen as the list continued on and on. She’d even managed to solve the problem concerning the defensive measures in his mainframe. The Xocili had made quite the fool of him when she’d snuck into his and Patricia’s lab and accessed his mainframe without much issue. He’d sought to rectify the firewalls so that it would cause even someone of her ability issue. It seemed she had managed to solve it relatively easily. “You’ve been a lot busier than you’ve let on,” he admitted, glancing up at her briefly before continuing to scan the tablet. She’d turned and leaned against the table, focused on her coffee while he reviewed the new influx of work. When she spoke again, it was in regards to the shard on the display. She said she could fabricate it if he wanted more to work with. She needed something with molecular composition so that she could download it but once she had it, her magic could create an accurate fabrication. “The issue isn't that I don’t have more pieces. This is but a fragment to something much larger. The issue is that it seems to be the only one of its kind. I seem to be a collector of such materials…” he remarked idly. It was a bit more information than he intended to give but breadcrumbs were hardly a full meal and often served as proper hints to coax further interest.

He had continued to look at the tablet as she fell silent once more. But when she spoke again, she asked him how he planned to accomplish ‘it’. He looked up at her for clarification, which she provided a moment later as she spoke of the Nazru and their invincibility. There were billions of the zealots and they had proven themselves capable against several other species, or so her tone seemed to hint towards. As she saw it, he said a lot of interesting but flowery words that didn’t seem fully grounded in realism. She didn’t see how any singular person could take them all out.

He considered her for a moment before he offered the tablet back to her. He reached over to the holographic display and dismissed the image of the shard and instead moved to… a different display of varying numbers. “Through magic, anything is theoretically possible,” Maker stated simply as he pulled in more analyses. “I avoided the Nazru while I traipsed through the galaxy but I was not foolish enough to ignore them. My numbers are skewed, as it is near impossible to get a full scan of their numbers, but one species does not become boogeymen without leaving evidence behind to terrify the masses. And with all fanatics, their pride and belief makes them as vulnerable as it makes them strong.” One of his hands moved in between them and with a slight flick of his wrist, he summoned a storm of electricity, zipping around above his palm. “But they have never come across the phenomenon that is magic -- no one has. It allows one to manipulate the forces of the universe for our benefit.” As he spoke, he flicked through several different elements at once; fire, water, air, sound, even pure energy…

It wouldn’t take her long to see the resemblance to Vandrad and Scourge’s magic, though of a slightly different color. “But I wouldn’t do it as one man. I am able to transmit my magical abilities into my artificial doubles. It would take some time to create the proper networking algorithm and expand it to encompass large quantities of the galaxy but through the manufacturing of my doubles, with your aid, an army could be created. Durable and capable of magical destruction, so as to bring an end to the Nazru.”

He paused and turned to look at her. “And should any of your people be living, we will be able to rescue them. And you can start anew on a world all your own. Or… you could come with me. Explore the unknowns of the galaxy and discover paths to more knowledge than any one person had ever considered.”

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 24th May 2023, 4:10 pm

Mercury Banner
    He gave her a curious look as she summoned a tablet for him, the device giving him a full list of exactly how much trouble she’d been getting into behind his back, which was significantly more than he’d been giving her credit for. Mercury didn’t meet his gaze when he looked back to her and remarked upon how busy she’d been, nor did she say anything in response. Instead, she briefly turned her attention to his current project, offering to recreate the material for his use if he needed more samples to work with. Maker assured her he didn’t need any more pieces, stating that it was part of a larger whole of which he was trying to puzzle out. The artifact was one of a kind, as he put it, something that he self admitted that he seemed to be a collector of. There was perhaps a sideways glance at the statement, but no other response from her.

Instead, after giving him a few minutes to poke around through the work she’d been doing, Mercury finally asked him about what plan he had, if any, for dealing with the Nazru. Once more the Terran gave her his attention as she elaborated, uncertain what he could really do to help her with the issue. Maker considered her quietly for a moment before offering her tablet back, the Xocili taking it gently with her free hand. Then, he turned back to the table and dismissed the prior display, replacing it with what appeared to be some type of statistical or mathematical chart. Mercury stayed leaning as she was against the table but did adjust her position so she could turn more comfortably to view the information.

Magic seemed to be his baseline solution. He explained that he had actively avoided the Nazru in his romps through the universe, but that didn’t mean he had ignored them entirely. He had a rough idea of their numbers, though how accurate the information was was anyone’s guess, but the Nazru had left a trail enough in the wake of their constant destruction that he had found plenty to study and analyze. And while their reputation was certainly nothing to scoff at, their egoism could easily become their downfall.

Her attention was drawn to his hand as he flicked a wrist and summoned a miniature electrical storm in his palm. It was Mercury’s turn to tilt her head with a slight if curious frown as he manipulated the energy to different elements. It dawned on her that it was Energy Monarch magic. It wasn’t too surprising. After all, if he could temporarily transfer such magic to Patricia then he could certainly transfer it to himself for a longer term. It was obvious from her expression that she recognized it, even if it was a different color than what she was used to with Vandrad and Scourge, but otherwise her expression was unreadable.

She remained quiet as he dismissed the power and informed her that he wouldn’t do it alone. He said that he was able to transmit his magical abilities into the fabricated clones that she’d helped him with. With enough time and work, as well as her assistance, he could create an entire army of his own doubles and use the duplicates to launch a war against the Nazru the likes of which they’d never recover from. And in the process, if they found any other remnants of her people they could rescue and rehabilitate them, find another world to call home where she could live amongst her kin. Or, she also had the option of staying with him.

Mercury looked up at him again, her eyes locked on his with a questioning, searching expression as if trying to deduce what exactly he had meant by that. She held the gaze for a couple seconds before it dropped once more, and she said nothing for a moment as she seemingly struggled to process her thoughts.

“They do have access to magic.” She dropped the news as softly as she could. Mercury set her tablet down and crossed her free arm over the other that held her cup of coffee, a guilty demeanor swallowing up her body language. “Part of my job is to help them determine if a world will be left alone or slated for invasion. They were curious about magic and wanted me to determine if it was organic or synthetic. Naturally, the answer was both. They acquired a number of artifacts through me for study… including flesh peeled from magic users. It’s entirely possible they’ve already learned to graft magic into themselves. Naturally as a slave they wouldn’t tell me any of that, but… I’ve run the numbers several times. I would be surprised if a few of them hadn’t taken the chance.”

It was a slight alteration to the truth, perhaps, but technically everything she had told him was factual, even if it was now more of a historical event rather than a current one. “I have not told them that I have magic, of course. I’ve tried very hard to hide that ever since I acquired my abilities, masking my magic use with tools so that people assume I am a holder or summoner mage rather than a caster. It was a tactic I used both to throw off my enemies here on Earthland as well as to protect myself from the Nazru; I stopped sending in reports to them a long time ago. They’ll send someone for me eventually, if they haven’t already. If I’m lucky, they’ll have heard that I’m dead and moved on without me… but luck is a rarity for me.”

The last statement wasn’t so much a pity party as it was an even statement of fact, Mercury taking another long swig from her coffee to try and cover the insecurity that she felt was written all over her face. When she finished, she held the mug low, gently swirling its contents in an idle circular motion as she seemed to stare off at the floor. “Honestly, Maker, I just… I don’t know what you’re trying to accomplish here. You’re not stupid. You have to understand that this… all of this… it’s too good to be true. I mean, eradicating the Nazru? Forming some kind of equal partnership? I’ve lived long enough to know that’s just… not how the universe works. And I mean this as respectfully as possible, but it’s all bit altruistic coming from someone that…” Her voice trailed off for a moment, before finished her sentence. “Coming from you.”

Mercury met his eyes again. There was a complete lack of enmity as she truly wasn’t trying to take a jab at him, but he himself had already expressed that he wasn’t the empathic sort. Pretty much the only reason she was willing to buy it at all was because he had, at the very least, made it clear that he valued her highly for what she represented to the evolutionary world, but even that knowledge would only prove her point: His respect for her was still more of her as a thing, not necessarily as a thinking, feeling person. And while she was certainly morally gray at best and not exactly the most law abiding or life respecting person in the universe, she did possess at least some range of emotion that he claimed he didn’t have.

Shaking her head slightly, she looked away again. “I guess I just don’t know what you want me to say. I don’t know what I want to do with my life. I’ve never had one before. Never truly had the luxury of even thinking about it. Even in all my time with Vandrad I tried not to think about it too much because in the back of my mind I always knew it was a long shot at best, and I didn’t want to get my hopes up too far. I just… want to live without the constant threat of death looming over me every second, without feeling like my every move is being watched… and being able to make my own choices as they happen. And unless you’re planning on telling me there’s some big gesture I can do to earn your trust – or you, mine – I just don’t see how any of this would work out the way you’re pitching it to me.”

WORDS: 1403/8848 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 24th May 2023, 6:20 pm

Maker

words: 1471/9372. tag: @Mercury Arseneault . notes:
    It was understandable that she would want to know his game plan. After all, he had made promises for big dreams and paths moving forward, largest of all being the utter destruction of the Nazru race. He hadn’t been foolish enough to simply make his claims without any reinforcement or foundation of a plan. So, when she asked, he shifted the holographic image to a set of different analytics and explained where he had begun his pondering. As he saw it, they had the benefit of magic on their side, something that Nazru were sorely lacking. With proper planning and the use of his clones, they could create a magical army that would wipe out the Nazru before they even had a chance to understand what was happening. If they were lucky, any Xocili survivors could be saved and relocated to a new home, where she could join them or continue along with him.

She looked at him for a moment, pondering what he meant by that, before she set her gaze back down. When she finally did speak, she admitted that they did have access to magic. Maker cocked his head slightly as he looked at her, his brow knitting together. She continued, explaining that part of her job was to analyze a world to see if it was meant to be left alone or invaded by Nazru forces. They wanted to know more about magic and tasked Mercury with verifying whether it was an evolutionary trait or a synthetic one. Of course it was both and she stated as much, saying that she had sent them a number of artifacts, in addition to flesh from magic users from the planet. She believed it was possible they would have learned to graft magic onto themselves, though she didn’t know for sure, it only took a few calculations from her to assume that at least a few of them had access to magic.

It was clear she felt guilty about it, given her body language and tone. After all, she had been the one to supply the Nazru with all of the magical tools and samples for them to experiment on. It was a troublesome revelation… and yet, Maker didn’t look too concerned. There was definitely a look on his face of contemplation, as he was clearly running numbers and estimates in his head once more. Mercury continued, admitting that she hadn’t told the Nazru that she had magic. She’d done what she could to hide her magic not only from them but from people on the planet as well. In addition to that, she had stopped sending reports to the Nazzru some time ago. Because of that, she was sure someone would come to investigate and determine why she had halted her progress reports.  With any luck, they would learn she was dead and let it go but she didn’t seem to put much faith in that.

“The Nazru having magic is… troubling, but not outside my scope of assumption,” Maker remarked as he brought up a holographic keyboard and began to type. “There are plenty of other elements and factors that they will not anticipate. Certainly they won’t expect any kind of assault on them, given their forces…” He was already formulating a follow up plan. She spoke up, wondering what it was he was trying to achieve and his hands froze mid-type. He didn’t look at her as she broke down the bits of information they both knew; he was smart and in being so, she didn’t understand how he didn’t see what he was offering was too good to be true. She’d seen enough of the universe to earnestly believe that such wholesome dreams didn’t become reality. And frankly, it all seemed surprisingly magnanimous coming from him, considering everything he had done.

His head turned slightly to look partially in her direction but not fully. She was looking at him for a long moment before she shook her head and looked away, remarking that she didn’t know what he needed to hear. She had no clue what she wanted out of life as she had never experienced one beyond her enslavement. She wasn’t even allowed to think and hadn’t spent energy on it even when it was possible, for fear that it was just a fleeting dream. All she knew was that she didn’t want death to always be standing right behind her, for eyes to be at her back through every turn and action. She wanted choice but she didn’t see how she could gain any of that, with neither of them willing to trust the other. His pitch had flaws and she didn’t know how it could work in its current state.

“What you’ve seen of my actions is from the scope of where you stood with Vandrad and his kin,” Maker replied slowly. “And I am fully aware of how cruel and unforgiving the universe can be. My own people treated me like I was some kind of dispensary; a slot for them to demand new, exciting breakthroughs that they could profit off of. My own siblings were given the opportunity to choose what they wanted to do with their lives but I was pushed onto my path and never allowed to consider anything else. I know it sounds outrageous, complaining about it to a woman who has been enslaved and treated like less than dirt… but for me, it felt as terrible as slavery.”

“I never… wanted to collar you. But you… I felt I had found someone that matched me. That equaled me. Your wit, your ability -- they are all so spectacularly marvelous, as I find myself challenged for the first time in my life when I go up against you. I’m sorry that I lied; I said that it was simply the fact that you’re a Xocili that amazed me. That’s only a small fraction of it. It’s you, Mercury. You made an impression on me that I’ve never experienced before. And I want to do right by you.”” It was a weight confession and, for the first time, she would be able to see how tense he could become. It was like he’d finally unvaulted his own thoughts and feelings for the first time and he wasn’t quite sure how to handle it, let alone how to look at her and express it. He was a man of knowledge, not of deeper spiritual or emotional matters and it was the first time he had popped open the vault that had seemingly held all of his suppressed emotions.

Finally he turned to her. “You want freedom. And I want to help you gain that freedom. There are still logistical matters that need to be worked out but I know together, we can bring down the Nazru. I understand that the trust between us still needs time to grow and evolve into something true. But I’m willing to take steps to prove I’m willing to trust you…” He took hold of his wristband and then gently reached for her hand. “All I’m asking is that you trust me for a few more seconds now, so that I can prove it.”

He’d wait however long she took but once she reached out and took his hand, he would press a button on his wrist. In an instant, they would be teleported to somewhere dark but filled with an odd glow. He would turn slightly and nod in the direction of the glow. There, towering above them, was a multi-layered castle. A large red lamp was installed in the ceiling and she’d be able to look around and see that they were in some kind of large cave. The castle itself looked eerie and haunted, with sharp peaks and extensions that defied expectation and gravity as they extended out. “It activates a camouflage to blend in with the world its on. It took me almost a year to figure out how to deactivate it,” he remarked as he played around with the wristband, activating several different functions. “The metal I was analyzing came from this. The reason that I can’t fully verify my results is that the rest of this thing’s race is gone. And it’s not metal, per se… more like a scale.”

He activated a button and the image of the castle shimmered before giving way to the real thing beneath. A monstrous looking thing sat in place of the castle, filled with eerie glowing lights and shaped not unlike a… spaceship. “This is something that called to me from the depths of space. From what I can tell, it’s sentience is dead but it still operates. It acts like a living ship but it’s something far more complex than that…”

“Tell me, Mercury. Have you ever heard of the Ancient Ones?”

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 25th May 2023, 10:58 am

Mercury Banner
    He took the news that the Nazru had gained access to magic relatively well, all things considered. It certainly would have been a concern had her slavers not already been dealt with. Maker admitted the news was troubling but that he could still work with it. Already he was off, plunking away at his calculations and trying to swerve with the new information, factoring it into his plans.

However, his train of thought was derailed by Mercury speaking up once more, asking him outright what exactly he was trying to accomplish in this sale to her. Maker was silent as she spoke her piece, practically frozen over his keyboard and unable to even really turn to look at her. Ultimately she expressed how she was just having trouble seeing this all working out the way he claimed he wanted it to, and Maker didn’t have much hesitation in his response as he reminded her that up until this point she had been viewing his actions from the perspective of someone allied with Vandrad.

As he put it, he was aware of the unfairness of life, claiming that his own people put him up on a pedestal of expectation and treated him like a tool for their benefit. His siblings were given free choice to do what they wished with their lives, but his path had been determined for him and he had not been given any alternatives. He admitted it likely sounded ridiculous to her, doing his best to assure her that he wasn’t attempting to compare their respective origins or put himself on the same level of abuse as what she’d endured with slavery, but to him it felt very similar to what he imagined slavery to be. And truthfully, Mercury wasn’t offended. She could understand where he was coming from, if it was the truth and not some tale he was spinning merely to paint himself as the victim in an attempt to win her over. A gilded cage was still a cage. She didn’t think that was any excuse to sacrifice his entire world full of people…

But that was not a conversation she could have at present.

So instead she continued to listen quietly, giving him her gentle attention as he admitted that he hadn’t wanted to cage her. Maker’s voice was halting and almost unsure of himself as he explained that he’d simply held her in such high respect, finding her to be an equal match for him, finding challenges in her that he’d never gotten from anyone else. Honestly, it was starting to feel a lot like what Vandrad had told her long ago when he’d first started opening up about his real feelings for her. And while Mercury couldn’t say that it was doing anything to truly sway her toward Maker, she… had to admit to herself that she was having trouble ascertaining how much of this was fiction. While she couldn’t claim to outright be able to catch someone in a falsehood like Mythal could, she was capable of reading a person’s vitals to make an extremely accurate guess, and a lot of this was feeling much more authentic than she had originally been banking on.

Because of that she was returning his look with an expression of confusion, surprise, and uncertainty that was quite genuine. He apologized for having lied to her and informed her that the truth was it was more than just her race that had amazed him, but rather she herself. Mercury had left her mark on him, and he just wanted to do right by her. The Xocili was increasingly aware of the slight but noticeable blush that had rushed to her cheeks, finding herself having trouble keeping her eyes on his as he finally turned to look at her face on, both standing there awkwardly like two teenagers on a doorstep trying to say goodnight.

Maker reiterated her desire for freedom, as well as his desire to help her achieve it. He said there were still kinks to iron out, but he had faith that the two of them putting their heads together would result in a solution as long as they could both at least try to work toward a better understanding and trust of one another. Furthermore, he was willing to take steps to prove himself, the Terran reaching down to fuss with a couple settings on his wrist band before holding his hand out for her to take. Mercury’s emerald gaze flicked down to the offered limb hesitantly, even as he asked that she at least trust him for a few seconds longer to give him a chance.

She studied him briefly, truly overwhelmed by the mixture of emotions that were assailing her in that moment. Finally, Mercury quietly set down her coffee and took his hand timidly. When she did so, he pressed one more button on his wristband and they were teleported to a new location. She looked around to take stock of her new surroundings, her sensors scrambling to try and ascertain just how far they had gone from the bunker. They stood in a cave of some sort, and it wouldn’t take long for her attention to be captivated by the sight of a truly awe-inspiring looking castle. It was extremely old, with multiple levels and jagged peaks, all of which were in an obvious state of disrepair. Was this his main base of operation, she wondered?

Before her thoughts could even get too far ahead, he once more started fussing with his device, talking about some camouflage setting that it had taken him the better part of a year to override. The metal he had been analyzing had come from this structure, which he referred to as a race. It drew a frown of confusion from her, Maker admitting that what he was studying was not necessarily metal, but more like a scale, hitting one more setting on his wristband to allow her to see the thing in its true form.

A shift in her peripheral vision drew her attention back to the castle, only to find it missing. In its place was an incalculably large ship that appeared to be organic in nature, covered in scales and emanating a warm orange light from within. Mercury’s breath audibly caught in her throat as she gasped softly in authentic wonder. She took a step closer out of instinct, zooming her gaze in as far as it could go to try and get a better look. Her mind and sensor were racing, trying to collect as much information as she could from where she stood while Maker explained that this thing, whatever it was, had called to him from space. He was certain that it was dead, or at least brain dead, but it was still operable. The best comparison he could make was that it was a living ship, which drew mixed feelings from Mercury. The Nazru utilized similar such ships.. But while the Nazru’s ships had been organic, they had not been sentient. This was something else entirely.

But the true show of her acting skills was when he asked her if she knew what an Ancient One was. Her brain came to a screeching halt, a number of uncomfortable and recent memories trying to claw their way up to her head. The barest flickering of red and black eyes tickled the back of her mind… but she stubborning and firmly stamped it all down, somehow keeping her cool and not allowing her inner thoughts to show on her face. Instead, she frowned curiously and forced herself to pull her gaze away from the breathtaking view to look at Maker. “Ancient Ones..?” Mercury shook her head softly. “No, never. What are they..?”

WORDS: 1294/10,142 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 25th May 2023, 2:25 pm

Maker

words: 1338/10,710. tag: @Mercury Arseneault . notes:
    Mercury did take a moment to consider his offer and his reaching ask to trust him. Considering all they had talked about, there was no reason that she shouldn’t be the least bit ambivalent to whatever he was hinting towards. But after that moment, she finally put her coffee down on the workstation and took his hand. Once they were joined, he used his wristband to teleport them both somewhere near, somewhere not as clean and pristine as the laboratory. As they materialized in the cave, she was treated to the sight of the castle, back lit with the crimson lamp and looking as ominous as any structure could. As he connected to the network nearby, he began dismantling all of the safeguards and lock commands that kept the illusion in place, explaining a bit to her of what he knew. Then he pressed a button and revealed the creature’s true form, which surprised her, which was hardly surprising in and of itself.

She stepped towards it as she studied it and he explained further what he knew about the living ship. And finally he reached the crux of his explanation and asked if she’d ever heard of the Ancient Ones. She questioned the word and shook her head, asking him what they were. “For a short time, I had expanded my knowledge to levels beyond that of a single mortal being. At least, one that lacked a mechanical memory that could store information. In that period, I was made aware of something called the Time Before. This reality of ours was not the first to exist; another came before it. And in its twilight, it was ruled and watched over by beings whose true name was lost. They were only known as Ancient Ones. It seemed my people had once split into two warring factions, one taking refuge in the caves and tunnels beneath my world. There they found evidence of these Ancient Ones or, at least, felt their presence and lingering influence. I, too, was made aware of the remaining presence and it directed me to a world near the edge of the galaxy. There I found this monstrosity…” he said, gesturing towards the living ship. “The knowledge I had was tearing me apart and the ship seemed to understand that. It… manufactured a receptacle for me to output the information so that I wouldn’t be destroyed. I studied it for a year, learning what I could from long degraded mainframes within the system.”

He let out a small sigh. “This… is one of the last races that existed in the Time Before. It had existed as something else entirely, far more biological than technological. But the Ancient Ones wiped out their race and turned what few survivors it had allowed to life into these. They acted as harbingers and scouts, blending in with the planet without notice as they downloaded information of the world and prepared it for assimilation.” He spoke the words carefully, knowing the weight behind them, especially to the woman he was speaking them to. For essentially, Mercury was looking at another creature that had acted just as she had; another race that had been dominated by a superior one and been forced to serve as their messenger across the universe.

He turned to look at her. “When the Time Before came to an end, almost everything from the universe was destroyed. But what remained of this race came together to preserve one of theirs, to guarantee that evidence of what had occurred could be found by others. Perhaps they believed the Ancient Ones were the ones destroying the universe to create a new reality to conquer; I don’t know. What I do know is that this thing knew exactly how to handle my suffering state and has provided me with resources, without being sentient. From what I’ve been able to conclude, it seems to create a resonance network that connects to one’s neural patterns and activates according to what they desire or need.”

He paused there, turning his gaze up towards the ship momentarily as his thoughts processed. “I don’t pretend to have an intimate knowledge of what the Nazru ships are like but I have seen what they are like. They are not wholly dissimilar to this. So I imagine this is not… the most comfortable scene for you. But I was earnest in my word in wanting to prove to you how far I am willing to trust you.” He looked back at her. “I’m sure you’re wondering how I was able to expand my knowledge, as I mentioned before. I’m not… proud of what I had to do to gain it.” He stopped again, his eyes shifting uncomfortably. “I had… made a breakthrough. Something that would allow a person or multiple persons to heighten their processing power. The All-Knowing. The problem was that it required the sacrifice of multiple people to achieve it. I informed my superiors and the government of what I’d discovered, in hopes of creating defensible measures so that no one else could discover and enact it.”

“To my horror, I found them interested, desiring to know how we could accomplish it. Not only did they refuse to destroy evidence or build defenses against it, they demanded I extrapolate a means to make it happen. They spoke of other worlds, species that had advanced beyond our means that we could take from to build our own superiority. Worse, they spoke boldly to the rest of our people of what I was going to help them accomplish, establishing themselves as the ruling superiority and paving the way to spreading our influence.” He was baring his teeth at that point in anger, his hands shaking slightly. “My own family, save for my brothers, spoke so casually of the extermination of others. Halcyon attempted to speak out against the process but he was exiled from our world. And Minotia… he was too cowardly. Only when the project was nearing its completion did he act; chasing after Halycon while cursing my name for ever thinking up the damned project. With them gone, I felt my own window of opportunity was slipping away. The engineers and scientists of my planet had progressed the project beyond my original blueprints and kept me from interfering. With no other options, I did the only thing I could think to do…”

“I attempted to destroy the All-Knowing by forcing it to absorb itself. But I miscalculated; instead, it targeted the planet and made me the input for the knowledge. Everything on the planet was absorbed through the All-Knowing; the people, the animals, even the planet’s innate knowledge. I became a receptacle to it all. When I awoke, I had brilliance unparalleled… but it came at the cost of everything I knew. The level of destruction and obliteration… I told you that I lack empathy but I still understand wrong. I knew what my people wanted to do was wrong and wished to stop it… and I knew what I had done was wrong. There was no changing it back; even with my vast knowledge, there was no path to reversing the All-Knowing. I’d killed my planet and my people through my arrogance, through my own form of chaos. It was then that I chose to abandon who I was before. Minotia returned and confronted me and I painted myself the villain he truly believed me to be. I was no longer a son of Teras Prime. I named myself Maker, as in the maker of my own destiny.”

For all his lofty talk of not feeling empathy or having feelings that weren’t as vibrant or powerful as others, Maker’s words and tone had been soft, slow, vulnerable. And as he finished his tale, Mercury would find, perhaps surprisingly, that a thin river of tears had run down his face, coursing over his cheeks and softly dripping from his chin. His features were still hardened but his eyes… they were quivering with raw, powerful emotion.

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 25th May 2023, 4:29 pm

Mercury Banner
    Mercury simply had no idea the length and depth of the answer that Maker was about to give her, nor just exactly how complicated her position was about to become on… well, everything. Maker explained a bit about some of the things that Genesis had already revealed to her some time ago, about how Maker had increased his knowledge to the point where his mortal, non-mechanical brain simply could not bear the weight of it. During this period of time he had become aware of the Time Before. Mercury listened to his explanation quietly, carefully playing the part of ignorance up until he got to parts that she did not know. As he explained his people had warred and split into two separate factions, one of which delved into the depths of the planet’s surface where they discovered traces of the Ancient Ones.

Similarly, he claimed that he had been made aware of the lingering presence as well and that was when he had found the ship that now rested before them. At this point his mind was on the verge of imploding within itself from all the knowledge he couldn’t contain, and Maker claimed that the ship – while no longer sentient – seemed to sense his struggle and provided a means to assist him so he wouldn’t perish. It did so by creating a receptacle of some kind that he could funnel his excess knowledge into, bearing the weight that he could not. He spent a year studying the ship and learning as much as he could from its degraded mainframes.

What he had discovered was a hauntingly familiar tale. In their former life, these creatures had existed in a completely different form, but the Ancient Ones had culled them to near extinction. The ones they had let live were turned into these living vessels, forced to do much the same type of work as Mercury herself had done at the hands of the Nazru. The Xocili watched him carefully, her expression neutral but in her mind she was scrutinizing him for any sign that any of this could be some falsehood fabricated to gather pity and empathy out of her. It was almost too on the nose, but at the same time… it wasn’t necessarily impossible. She certainly didn’t claim to be the only oppressed individual in the universe, and at this point she was more than well aware of the Time Before and the existence of the Ancient Ones.

Maker turned his gaze to her and explained that when the Time Before ended, nearly everything in its reality had been destroyed. However, according to the information he found on the ship, the remnants of their race joined forces to ensure that at least one of them survived, even if it was broken and degraded. He wasn’t sure what their reasons behind doing so were, but he did know that it had seen him when he most needed help and provided the resources he required to save his life, and probably his sanity. As far as he could tell, that was simply what the ship was designed to do: meet necessity, whatever that may be.

There was a shift then as Maker acknowledged how similar much of this was to Mercury’s own history, admitting that this was likely an uncomfortable position for her to be in. But it was his honesty about it that he was hoping would help to earn her trust. For her part, she didn’t respond in regard to the comparison, though her gaze flicked away briefly in seeming discomfort over the topic before meeting his again.

Continuing on, he explained how he had come into possession of all the exterior knowledge in the first place, a feat he claimed to not be proud of: the All-Knowing. Truthfully, Mercury was surprised that he was bringing it up at all. She figured it was a topic she’d have to work for some time to coax him into talking to her about. But as they were both apparently discovering, things were not working out the way she had been planning for. The All-Knowing, as he described, was a way of increasing the mental processing power of one or more individuals. However, it required a significant sacrifice to achieve. He had informed the government and his superiors about the discovery, supposedly in an interest to avoid its use by anyone in the future, but according to him his superiors had gone worst case scenario and decided that they wanted to use it for themselves. What they specifically wanted to do was use the races of other worlds as the sacrifices, publicly claiming that Maker would help raise their civilizations as a universal world power.

Mercury was surprised by the display of anger on his face at this point in his tale, but even more surprised that it appeared to be authentic. It was only his brothers that were outspoken against the plan alongside him, even the rest of his family in support of utilizing the All-Knowing to their own benefit. Halcyon had taken steps to try and prevent it and paid for his crime with exile. Minotia – Blade – had been too afraid to intervene directly until nearly the very end, something that Blade himself had admitted when he’d told his own version of things… though it was here that Mercury found a rather odd discrepancy. Maker called his brother Minotia, but when Genesis had greeted the other brother he’d called him Raeran. There was always the possibility that Raeran was more of a respectful title than anything else, but Blade’s response had been very clear that he no longer “went by that name”. While Mercury hadn’t been able to understand most of Genesis’ greeting to Blade, since it had been in a language she didn’t speak, she was certain that nothing in the statement had even remotely resembled Minotia.

It was a curious piece of information that she tucked away for the time being and, at least for the moment, didn’t turn it into anything bigger. Little would come from trying to extrapolate her own guesses and fill in information without proof. So instead she kept listening in attentive silence as he explained that his government had taken the project into their own hands, making adjustments and doing everything in their power to keep him from interfering. He responded by doing the only thing he could think to do: trying to force the All-Knowing to absorb itself.

The result, according to him, was the catastrophe of the entire planet being targeted instead, something he had not calculated as a possibility. All life on the planet was consumed in one fell swoop, and he had been the sole survivor to receive the knowledge. While he continued to admit that he wasn’t much for empathy, he still knew the difference between right and wrong. What his government had been attempting was unforgivable, but he claimed to recognize his part in everything being allowed to happen, accepting responsibility for it. He couldn’t change it, either. All the knowledge he had been granted was more than enough to confirm that it was impossible, and as a result he had disowned himself. Minotia, who had survived, did eventually return to confront him and Maker claimed that he lied and cast himself as a knowing and purposeful villain as Blade had considered him to already be, foregoing his birth name and taking on the moniker of Maker.

There were some things that still didn’t quite measure up, and Mercury would address them eventually, but she was distracted by something completely unexpected: Maker was crying. His face was relatively neutral, but there was a passion in his eyes that betrayed the validity of the emotions that he couldn’t keep at bay, and it put Mercury at a loss. There again was always the possibility that he was just an extremely capable liar, but if he was anything like her – and more than anything, Mercury was frighteningly aware of how similar they truly were – he would be peppering his lies into greater truths. She couldn’t help but conclude that while she had no idea how close to reality his tale was… it was obvious that he believed it.

Mercury looked at him in wary silence for a long moment, struggling with how to respond. Even with people that she knew and trusted, she wasn’t always great at handling these kinds of situations, despite how much she’d grown in the last few years. After collecting her thoughts enough to center herself, she finally acted. Reaching out, and assuming he didn’t stop her, she apprehensively took him by the hand. In the same motion, she materialized a metal bench that was just big enough for two people to sit side by side, drawing him gently over to it and taking a seat, kindly guiding him to take the spot next to her. “I’m sorry,” she told him softly. “For all the death I’ve caused… and there’s a great deal of that which I am responsible for, believe me… I can’t imagine what that experience must have been like, or the kind of scars it put on you.”

Presuming he hadn’t pulled it away, Mercury would continue to hold his hand gently, even rubbing the back of his palm in a soothing, if uncertain, manner in an attempt to be comforting. Allowing him another couple of beats to collect himself, she spoke up once more. “What happened to your brothers..? It sounds like Minotia survived at least. Any idea where he is now? What about Halcyon?”

WORDS: 1602/11,744 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 25th May 2023, 6:18 pm

Maker

words: 964/11,674. tag: @Mercury Arseneault . notes:
    The depths of Maker’s pain and guilt was evident in his eyes, even if he wasn’t directly looking at her. He didn’t seem to notice that he had been or was actively crying, as if he was detached from the physical sign of his agony. It was, after all, a terrible tale of woe and misery that painted him as a guilty but altruistic party in the destruction of his home and his people. Despite how they had forced him on a singular path, despite how they wanted to abuse his discoveries for their own benefit and dominance, it seemed he hadn’t ever really meant to destroy them. Mercury was silent for several seconds, most likely trying to understand and process all of the information he had given to her in such a short amount of time. He remained silent after he finished his story and his gaze turned away slightly. But he paused when, much to his surprise, she reached out for his hand.

He looked down at it, even as she materialized a bench nearby and gently brought him over to it. The Terran went with her without hesitation, allowing himself to be led and coaxed to sit down. She apologized softly and spoke of the deaths that she, too, had caused through her own actions. She understood what it was like to have the weight of those lives on him and what kind of pain and trauma that left on a person. He nodded softly. “And I am sorry for what you’ve had to endure and been forced to do. I do not mean to make my pain sound any worse than your own but…” In spite of himself, he let out a small chuckle. “I am… not very good at this. But I am trying.” As he’d said, he understood the difference between good and bad and seemed to want to err on the former. But whether he was being deceitful or not, it did seem like he wasn’t all that skilled or experienced in having to share vulnerabilities with anyone.

He reached up with his free hand to wipe his face off, leaving his hand in her’s. After a moment, she spoke up and asked about his brothers. She knew Minotia had survived but there was no mention of where he’d gone or where Halcyon had wound up. “Halcyon had returned to the planet, right before the All-Knowing was activated. Apparently he’d gone against his exile and decided to make one last attempt to stop it. He… became a victim of the All-Knowing as well…” he admitted softly, not quite capable of meeting her gaze with that particular concession. “Minotia has hunted me ever since. He’ll never forgive me for my actions, nor should he. He has tracked me all across the universe, even sent bounty hunters out to try and have me killed. He has even followed me here to Earthland. He won’t stop until I’ve paid for the crimes that I’m guilty of.”

He sighed softly. “I don’t blame him. I had hoped that I would frighten him enough to go off and find a life elsewhere. But I think I always knew that he wouldn’t let it go. My only hope is that I can stay one step ahead of him long enough to finish what I want to do. I don’t want to fight my only living family… but I cannot stop. If I need to imprison him to get him out of the way, I will do so. But I cannot kill him. I won’t.” There were many things he had said that could be interpreted as genuine and serious. But perhaps nothing else sounded as truthful as this particular statement of fact. Truly, deep in his core, he had no desire to end Blade’s life. Whether it was truly for the reasons he’d given her or some twisted desire to always have a challenge, that couldn’t be defined. But he wanted his brother to keep living and seemingly didn’t want to even come to blows with him.

He looked up at the ship and nodded towards it. “I brought you down here so I could show you the inside. I was hoping that if we can work on building some semblance of a partnership, I could finally give you something better to look at instead of dreary walls.” He gestured to the cave. “We’re in a pocket dimension; something I was able to create using the magic of Earthland. I saw how wizards were able to store weapons and armor through their Requip abilities and wondered if I could craft something akin to that but for living beings to exist in. It took a bit of time and manipulation but I was able to do it. And the realm can be whatever I desire.” He reached up and snapped and the cave melted away and gave way to a fully starry sky. The bench they were on remained in its place but the stone was gone, leaving them seated amongst the twinkling void.

He brought his hand back down and placed it over their joined hands. “I know it is not some large act to prove my trust. In all honesty, I don’t believe that exists for either of us. It will take time and work. But I am willing to put effort into it because I believe in a future that we can forge and help bring into existence. One that’s better for us and trillions of other lives.” He met her eyes evenly, still rife with emotion but this time with what looked like hope and adoration. “You’re unlike anyone I’ve ever met. And I want to do everything I can to help bring you the freedom you deserve.”

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 25th May 2023, 8:03 pm

Mercury Banner
    Understandably, he was surprised by her physical gesture. However, he didn’t protest her leading him to a place to sit, the Xocili speaking what little words of comfort she could. She knew all too well what it felt like to be in his position, and there wasn’t anything she could say that would make him feel better. In a way, she didn’t want him to. Not out of any desire for him to hurt, but rather knowing that the pain was a meaningful and important process of healing and acceptance. Brushing it aside or trying to bury it under happier platitudes would be disrespectful to the tragedy that had taken place.

He offered brief words of consolation of his own toward her similar situation, faltering as he tried to assure her that he wasn’t trying to make it all about himself. He simply wasn’t very practiced at opening up. “I don’t think many people are good at it. Stars know I’m not… though I think I’ve had more opportunities to practice over the last couple years than you have.” Mercury smirked at him a little, the gesture more kind and reassuring than teasing.

Using his free hand, Maker wiped his face to dry it, and Mercury used the lull to ask about his brothers. Most of his story had more or less lined up with Blade’s, aside from the one glaring discrepancy, but he had been curiously silent on what fate had befallen Halcyon in particular whom Blade had said he’d found dead at Maker’s feet. Mercury was interested to know how Maker would explain his other brother’s death, if at all, and once again found his story didn’t necessarily conflict with Blade’s. He confirmed that Halcyon had returned to the planet to confront him and as a result had been swallowed up by the All Knowing, while Minotia had dedicated his life to hunting Maker, even here on Earthland.

The Engineer admitted that he held no ill will toward Blade for taking the stance that he had against him. He hoped to build enough of a reputation to scare his brother into doing something else with his life, but Blade had persisted. All Maker could do was his best to stay ahead of him, impressing upon her with unmistakable sincerity that he held zero desire to kill or even fight Minotia. He would imprison his brother if he had to, but he would not take his life.

Nodding toward the ship, Maker informed her that he had brought her here because he wanted to show her the inside in hopes that it would further help build trust with her… or at the very least give her more to look at than the empty, sunless walls of the bunker. He explained that they were in a pocket dimension, which he created using Earthland’s magic in order to have a true safehouse for him and the ship. It had taken him some time to craft a place where a living being could also survive, but the finished product was impressive and effective to say the least. He could also make it look however he wanted, and to demonstrate he snapped his fingers, causing the atmosphere to change to a starry night sky.

“Don’t you try to distract me with attempts to sweep me off my feet.” It was her first true tease in days, the closest return to form and seeming life she’d had since her outburst. The Xocili smirked in earnest before looking up at the sky very much like she hadn’t seen it for months, a gentle look of peace on her face. Her attention was only pulled away when he put his other hand on top of their conjoined ones. Maker admitted that he knew there was no sure gesture that would get her to let go of her suspicions. And truthfully, that worked both ways as she likely would have to work to belay his misgivings as well. It would take time and effort, but he was willing to put those miles in in order to see what good they could do for the universe if they put their minds together.

Their eyes met, and Mercury simply couldn’t help the warm shiver that went down her spine from the way he was looking at her. Once more he complimented her, reassuring her of his desire to help her attain her freedom. At this point if he was lying, Mercury almost didn’t care. If this was all just a complex game of manipulation between them it frankly only made him more attractive to her, and despite everything she really was a sucker for a man that actively tried to rise above his worser nature to express a gentler side to her, and the true blush on her face betrayed exactly what his look was doing to her. Unfortunately, they were on a roll and she didn’t want to waste the opportunity she had for him to be open with her.

“And… what about your own freedom..?” she asked him quietly, her gaze softening. “Is all of this really what you want?” Mercury nodded toward the ship, indicating that she was specifically referencing his work. “I’m sorry, I know you want to take my inside, and believe me I want few things more than to let you do that. But while we’re here and we’re talking, I just… I think I need to ask, because I’m not sure I can start to reconsider my trust in you until I hear your answer. You said that you weren’t given a choice in your place on your homeworld, that you began to call yourself Maker as a representation of choosing your destiny… but from what I can see, you are still living the life you say was chosen for you.”

With a gentle flick of her free wrist, she summoned a number of monitors and screens in front of them. Each held a news tabloid or galactic warrant of some kind depicting many of his more well known universal crimes, things he had done after Teras Prime had been destroyed. “You could stop. You could pick a different life for yourself. As far as I can see, you no longer have anyone keeping you under their thumb, telling you what to do and who to be. Why do you choose to continue to play the part Minotia and everyone else expects of you? To live an existence that, from what I gather, doesn’t necessarily make you happy?”

It was a weighty question, and one that surely would put him on the spot a bit, but Mercury meant it when she said that she needed an answer. He could paint pretty words and a heartbreaking story all day, but that didn’t put everything else she knew about him in a neat and tidy bow of understanding. And the way she looked at him, without judgment or suspicion, made it apparent that this was not any attempt to call him on any perceived hypocrisy but rather to give him a chance to explain the things that still weren’t adding up for her.

WORDS: 1189/12,933 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 26th May 2023, 9:52 am

Maker

words: 935/12,609. tag: @Mercury Arseneault . notes:
    Mercury assured him that most people weren’t good at handling the situation any better than he was. Even she didn’t consider herself well-practiced, though she’d had a lot more opportunities over the last few years than he had. He managed to return her smirk softly as they shared a small moment together of equal parts mutual understanding and kindness. He cleaned his face of the tears that had fallen and spoke a bit about his brothers, Minotia making up the integral topic. After all, he was the only living brother Maker had any longer. He explained his feelings for his sibling, seemingly wishing no ill will towards the other Terran, despite knowing how Blade felt about him. If it resulted in Minotia having to be imprisoned, that was the furthest Maker was willing to go to stop his brother.

He turned his attention to the ship and the realm they were in, describing a little of what his intent was when he brought her here. He’d hoped to provide her something more filling than the sullen walls of the bunker and outlined the details of the pocket dimension that he’d managed to create. Showing his control of it, he changed it from a cave to the depths of space, filling the world with stars as they sat on the bench. She teased him for his efforts, insisting that he was trying to distract her with attempts to ‘sweep her off her feet’. “Oh, I hadn’t thought of that. I suppose this would come across as an attempt to enchant you, wouldn’t it?” he asked curiously, seemingly genuine in his realization. “Well… it sounds like it’s working,” he opted to tease her back, giving her a small smirk of self amusement. And with that thought, he turned to her and expressed his thoughts on how they could progress forward. As he saw it, there was no singular gesture either of them could make to satisfy the other’s concerns. It was going to take time and effort and examples of their trust before they could truly believe in one another. But he was willing to take that time and put in the hours he had to.

And he felt that connection with her. He didn’t sense the shiver but there was a thread of emotion shared between their eyes that even he couldn’t ignore. She was blushing slightly and he was overwhelmed with… well, he couldn’t quite describe it. It was more than arousal or simple attraction. It was like his words of truly admiring her became true feelings in him and his eyes betrayed just how he felt. His face had even leaned in a bit, almost like he was moving in to kiss her, when she finally spoke up and asked him about his freedom. He paused as she nodded towards the spaceship and asked if that’s what he wanted, clearly indicating his work rather than the specimen itself. She apologized, understanding that he wanted to proceed and show her inside but they were talking and there was no better time, in her opinion, to ask deeper inquisitive questions that would help her start to trust him. He’d told her that he’d been forced onto a path on his homeworld and that calling himself Maker had been his attempt to break free from his path and tread his own way. Yet what she was seeing, it seemed he was still on the same path as before.

Her wrist twitched and monitors and screens appeared before them. Each one depicted a different bit of information or news on him, articles and warrants and wanted posters from worlds all across the galaxy. He looked at them even as she suggested he could stop. He had the freedom to choose, as no one was forcing him to do anything anymore. She had to know why he continued down the same path, choosing to live the part that his brother and the greater galaxy saw him in. She didn’t believe it made him happy.

He was quiet for a moment as he reached out and took one of the monitors in hand, drawing it close. “I have tried a number of times to give all of this up. Articles are not written, unfortunately, about the man who built himself a cottage on a lonesome moon, determined to live out his existence away from everyone. But each time… I was pulled back in. This path was chosen for me but I wasn’t allowed to explore it on my own terms. I fought against it but I came to understand that not only did I excel on it, I did… enjoy it,” he admitted, letting the monitor return to its former place. “Not the carnage or destruction; those are just unfortunate means to an end. These deaths, while regrettable, were in service of protecting greater numbers. Corrupt politicians and rulers, men and women with disgusting agendas… I couldn’t keep myself from acting. From embedding myself among their ranks and working to undermine them without noticing. I did the same thing with the Dread Masters.”

He couldn’t quite meet her gaze. “I’m not proud of it but I… enjoy hurting those that have taken their lives and dedicated them to controlling others. I know it sounds hypocritical, considering your situation, but I never wanted to control others. I want them to be free; everyone. Then… maybe then… this hole in me will finally be filled.” He sighed softly and let his head drop a little. “I know that probably isn’t the answer you were hoping for. But it is the truth nonetheless.”

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 26th May 2023, 4:53 pm

Mercury Banner
    He seemed to be unaware of how his alteration to the atmosphere could be perceived, looking up in surprise as she remarked on his attempt to woo her under a starry night sky. His  revelation was quickly followed by the insinuation that the act appeared to be working, whether intentional or not. Mercury chuckled softly. “Well, don’t go patting yourself too hard on the back. I think it’s well established by this point that I’m not exactly the most difficult woman to bed.” It was a further teasing comment, but by her tone it wasn’t meant to dissuade him. Afterall, she hadn’t denied that she had been charmed. If anything, she’d confirmed it.

However, as curious as she was to see where that particular topic of conversation might go, she knew she had to stay on topic a bit longer, even if it risked killing the mood of the moment as the two of them shared a longing look with one another. If Mercury had noticed him start to lean closer to her there was no evidence of it on her face as she instead summoned her monitors and prompted him to explain the plethora of warrants and media stories that he’d collected over the years from various other planets. The way she saw it, he was still living the life that he detested, and she wanted to know why.

Maker was quiet for a long moment, picking up one of the screens and idly glancing over the article. He explained that he had attempted numerous times to create a different life for himself, even claiming that he’d once built a solitary home for himself on a moon in the hopes of staying off the grid. However, things had always wound up pulling him back into the system. According to him, he tried to fight it but at the same time he understood that he was good at what he did. Furthermore, he did enjoy enacting justice upon those that deserved it, even if it came at the unfortunate cost of innocents. His actions, he claimed, were always in an attempt to make the universe a better, safer place for as many people as possible, inserting himself into numerous criminal organizations and corrupt governments, trying to tear them down from the inside, including the Dread Masters.

He told her that he didn’t take any pride in it, but he did enjoy hurting people that have forced their influence on others; a remark he admitted was a bit contradictory, considering her current situation under his control, but at the end of the day Maker insisted that he just wanted everyone to experience freedom from oppression, and if he could achieve that then maybe he’d feel less empty. The Terran’s head dropped as he expressed that she had likely been hoping for a different answer, but assured her he was speaking the truth. “I wasn’t looking for any kind of answer except an honest one,” she replied kindly.

There was a beat or two of silence before she spoke up again. “It’s a noble pursuit, Maker. Truly. But realistically, it’s not attainable. I certainly don’t mean to say that the effort shouldn’t be made, because it’s important to try. I just… don’t think it’s fair to yourself to take on that kind of burden. No matter what bad things you’ve done in the past, it’s not your responsibility to try to fix the rest of the universe in an attempt to atone.”

Mercury glanced away for a moment, her gaze turning up to the stars. The look on her face was sad and solemn, yes, but there was also a peaceful acceptance in her tone as she continued. “I have wrought the destruction of entire worlds six times over. For the longest time that didn’t really bother me, if only because I kept moving forward and refused to allow myself time to think about it. Plus, unlike you, I was never there when it happened. I did my part, gave my reports, and moved on when I was told to do so without ever looking back. I was able to detach myself from it for years. Unfortunately, even someone like me can only spend so much time with people such as the du Wolffs without changing to some degree. I won’t claim to be the most altruistic individual. My sense of morality is still more gray than anything else, and my empathy skills could certainly use a bit more work… "

“But I’ve been trying to learn how to forgive myself… because even if the Nazru are defeated I will never truly be free if I’m still controlled by my past. Not that it’s easy, mind you. But I guess the point I’m trying to make here is that if someone like me can learn to do it, then so can you… and I think you’re intelligent and talented and… strong enough… to learn how to fight your enemies without living as one of them. I’d even go so far to say there are few in the universe, if any, who would be as capable as you are at doing so.”

She finally looked back down at him with a soft, reassuring smile, her emerald eyes glistening with understanding. If anyone knew what it was like to be in his position it was her. Mercury still had no idea how much of this interaction between them was genuine, and how much of it was just… two crafty enemies circling each other, waiting for the right time to strike… but she hoped it was honest, and aside from certain lies that she had to maintain for the time being Mercury was earnestly doing her best to otherwise be as real and true with him as possible. She could only hope that he would take her words to heart and give them some thought.

Mercury drew in a deep breath to recenter herself. “So! Still want to show me the inside of your big, magnificent, brain dead space ship, or have you come to your senses and decided to throw me back in the bunker so you don’t have to put up with me for a while?”

WORDS: 1032/14,025 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Vandrad Ragnos
    Vandrad Ragnos

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Vandrad Ragnos 26th May 2023, 7:09 pm

Maker

words: 813/13,422. tag: @Mercury Arseneault . notes:
    His truths, whether genuine or not, came out easily enough. She had confronted him with a question, a need to know, and he had responded as fully as he was capable. After all, it served no purpose to begin lying now, after all the progress they had made, however minimal or maximum it was. He unloaded everything with little hindrance, wishing to be as open and clear about how he felt and what he desired, especially on a path that he hadn’t chosen at first as his own. He admitted he was sure she wouldn’t think it was the best answer or perhaps not the one she was looking for but she told him gently that the only thing she wanted was honesty, not searching for anything in particular.

Mercury spoke up a moment later, stating that she saw his goal as noble in cause but feasibly not attainable. It wasn’t that she didn’t believe he shouldn’t make an effort, as one should always try to right whatever wrongs they created. But she didn’t believe he was being fair to himself by placing all of that burden on his shoulders. His past was his past and trying to fix the entire universe to make up for his shortcomings wasn’t his responsibility or the only means to atone for his past. His gaze lifted to her even as she looked away, Mercury staring up at the stars in deep contemplation. He watched her as she processed her thoughts, admiring her features. When she spoke again, she spoke of the destruction she had brought to six different words. It had never really bothered her, mostly because she kept moving forward and locked away any time to contemplate the weight of what she had brought upon the unsuspecting. She played her role, delivered her reports and then was off to another world without ever looking back over her shoulder. She’d been detached from the results of her actions before she came into contact with the rest of the du Wolff clan. Then she had begun to change; her morals weren’t what many would consider the brightest or the more charitable but she had begun to try and forgive herself.

As she saw it, even defeating the Nazru wouldn’t mean much if she let her past rule how she proceeded in life. It wasn’t an easy task to move forward but she was trying to get across that even someone like her could learn to move forward and that made her confident that he, too, could learn to forgive and grow. She understood his intelligence, his talent and his strength and believed he could use them all to fight against his enemies without having to pose as one as well. In fact, she believed there were a rare few that could accomplish such progress in the universe. Finally she looked at him once more and there was a soft, comforting smile on her face. In that moment, she understood him better than he could have ever perceived, ever even considered. She knew his position just as well as he did. He met her gaze evenly as he processed her words.

“Well, you are far wiser than Vandrad gives you credit for, it seems,” Maker replied, a slight smirk tugging at his lips. It seemed everyone on the world knew just how much the future king was willing to put down Mercury’s abilities, if only to attempt to keep her ego in check. “I will take your words into consideration. You’ve given me… a lot to think about.” With that matter settled, she refocused and asked if he was still willing to show her inside the ship or if he’d suddenly reached common sense and chosen to throw her back into the bunker. “By the sounds of it, it seems more enticing to throw you into a bed rather than the bunker, if your words about your difficulty to get in bed are true,” he continued to be slightly more jovial. “But I suppose that works in our favor, as there is a bed on the ship as well…” With that remark, he pressed a button on his wristband again and they are teleported aboard the bridge of the ship. The ornate, alien room was made up of intricately carved metal shapes. Upon closer inspection, one would be able to see that this was the ‘metal’ that Maker had been studying, carrying a clear sheen but with the characteristics of scales. The large window looking out showcased them looking over a world, as Maker had shifted the pocket dimension to match what they would see as well. “You can still hear the hum of mechanical life in it…” Maker said softly as he approached the front area. Metal folded up and formed into a chair as a panel of odd holographic screens materialized in front of the chair.

Mercury Arseneault
    Mercury Arseneault

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Mercury Arseneault 27th May 2023, 5:44 pm

Mercury Banner
    “Yeah, he hates nothing more than complimenting me. Mostly because I lord it over his head.” Mercury smirked back at Maker.

He told her that he would give her musings some thought, of which he’d now have a lot to do. Frankly, Mercury still had lots more questions, but… she felt she’d pressed her luck enough for now. It was time to move on, if only because she really, really wanted to see the inside of that ship. She teased him about whether or not he was ready to dump her back in her windowless cell, only for him to retort that he was more likely to throw her in a bed now that he had the notion in his head. And, as luck would have it, there was a bed on the ship. She was grinning like a cheshire cat. “Promises, promises.”

But before they could take that topic any further, he pressed another button on his wristband and they were once again teleported, this time inside the ship. It appeared to be the bridge, and frankly it was breathtaking. It was an open space with a vaulted ceiling, perfectly symmetrical with elegant bars and a multilayer floor design, and a large window to the outside. Unable to resist, Mercury turned slowly where she stood, looking all around her and taking in the first sight of it before approaching the main console. Without touching any buttons, she gently ran her fingertips along the strange metallic surface of the central hub like it was made of fine porcelain, indeed finding that its composition was more akin to scales than anything else.

“Hello, beautiful…” she whispered to the ship, though not so quietly that Maker wouldn’t hear it. Maker remarked about the hum of the engine, the last vestiges of life of the creature it once was. He joined her up by the front, the ship sensing his approach and shifting to create a seat for him, a number of holographic screens flickering to life. “Would you… let me try to interface with it? I promise I won’t try to snoop on anything, I just…” Her voice trailed off for a second, the Xocili completely enraptured. “I want to see what it feels like.”

Presuming he wasn’t against her attempting to do so, Mercury came back around to the front of the console near where Maker was standing and placed her hand flat on the panel. Closing her eyes to focus, she wirelessly linked herself up to the system and dove in with her mind. It was unlike anything she had ever experienced before. Though its hardware and set up didn’t seem overly complicated, nothing was connected in any kind of biological or binary language that she could understand; a rarity for her. Given time she could probably unlock many of its secrets as Maker had, but that wasn’t what she was trying to do here. She just wanted to experience it, get a feel for its craftsmanship, and see if she could find any trace of its sentience in a way that perhaps Maker was incapable of as a non-synthetic person.

Unfortunately, it was well and truly deceased. It was still warm and operable, its heart still beating… but there was no intelligence in what life remained inside of it. Mercury wasn’t even aware of the saddened expression that touched her face for the briefest of moments, the disappointment in confirming that there was nothing buried beneath the surface that might recognize and stir at the presence of another being similar to itself.

Finally, she fluttered her eyes open once more, withdrawing from the connection. “What a tragic loss…” Mercury’s emotional center was cool and collected, but it was clear she had been moved by the understanding and wonder of the depths of knowledge and experience this creature could have offered to people like them during its time. With a soft sigh through her nostrils, she turned to look around once more, her eyes almost unable to keep still from how much there was to see. “Maker, this is stunning. I understand now why you choose to retreat here. If I were in your shoes, it would be difficult to convince me to leave. And hiding it in a pocket universe is genius, honestly. A perfect way to keep it safe… and also explains why we always had such an impossible time tracking you down.”

She cast him another wry smirk.

WORDS: 741/14,766 | @Vandrad Ragnos
    Serilda Sinclair

Current date/time is 27th April 2024, 5:18 pm