Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

A Step Away From Sanity

Fraag
    Fraag

Player 
    Lineage : Progeny of Arcanos
    Position : None
    Faction : The Luminous Covenant
    Guild : Luminous Rose
    Cosmic Coins : 60
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 3,401,904

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Arcane Fate Magic
    Second Skill: Night God Slayer
    Third Skill: Relativity God Slayer

A Step Away From Sanity Empty A Step Away From Sanity

Post by Fraag 8th February 2022, 6:45 pm

In the Luminous Rose main meeting area, wherein was situated the Missions Board, there sat a mission sheet, apparently much like the other mission sheets around it. It seemed as though whatever client was responsible for this mission had been very specific in their interest in having the guild come and check this mission out, but asides that, there was really no other troubling thing indicated on mission statement. It read,
    ”Salutations, dear Luminous Rose guild.
    I am Professor Alf Helon, distinguished archaeologist and arcanologist from the Bellian Higher School of Arcane Studies. On a mission trip to Nazo, I and my research team encountered a strange warp in space time. While it cannot be expected to be anything particularly out of place, seeing as this is Nazo we’re talking about, one of our more daring researchers decided to have a peek inside, after we established that it was relatively safe for organic matter to enter it, although our magical probes could not get any information when placed inside. Well, he got in, but he had to get pulled out, and while he’s alive, he seems to have lost his mind. He keeps scribbling strange things none of us can understand, and he keeps saying his message is for the Linguist of the Shining Rose of Fiore. We did discover eventually that there is such a guild named the Luminous Rose, and as such, we hope that you have a linguist who can understand and decipher whatever messages he keeps scribbling around. What we find incredible is that, based on the shapes and patterns of the symbols he keeps writing all over the place, it is a singular message he has been writing, but for the life of any of us here, we have no idea what it means. Attached is a snapshot of whatever it is he keeps writing.
    My entire research team would be most honored if you can send us your linguist, and hopefully help us crack the spell of insanity on Dr. Bertrand. Despite his audacious recklessness, his is a great scientific mind, and it is such a terrible shame that he has been reduced to this lunacy, something we hope can be rectified. We are willing to provide whatever limited resources we have at our disposal to assist you. Please find us at the Wakusei Portals. We have set up a temporary camp at this incredible nexus between worlds, because we do not know if what we need to cure Bertrand’s madness may be found in Nazo where he got it, and we shall not risk going back home to Bellum unless we were convinced without a doubt that nothing could be done for him, or until he is cured, the latter of which I hope should be the case.
    We eagerly await your reply.”

And pinned below this message was a picture taken of off hieroglyphic pictures, as well as a strange writing consisting of straight lines, dots, and a few short curves. And passing by the mission board this normal morning, Nita had laid eyes on the mission request.

She drew closer to the request and stared for a while at the photo, then read through the mission details. And if anyone was observing, they would notice that her normally golden blonde hair turned snow white in not up to five seconds. Slowly, Nita pulled the mission request paper off the board and looked at it again, as though trying to be sure her eyes did not deceive her. This could not be a coincidence. Someone, or something, seemed to be actively looking for her. And the Pergrandian mage had an idea of what it just might be.

WC: 615

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Lyra Karant
    Lyra Karant

Main Account- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Demon Slayer- Legal Guild Ace- S-Rank- A-Rank- Forever Solo- Christian Minecraft Server- I Have Friends...- Hired Help- Unknown Powerhouse- Achiever- Expert Achiever- Taskmaster- Halloween job event participant - Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Tertiary Magic- Christmas Event Winner- Have an Admin as a friend!- Player 
    Lineage : Mercy's Grace
    Guild : Luminous Rose [Ace]
    Dungeon Tokens : 1
    Mentor : Faulkners
    Experience : 830,971

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Aurora Demon Slayer
    Second Skill: Sky Demon Slayer
    Third Skill: Crystalline Panoply

A Step Away From Sanity Empty Re: A Step Away From Sanity

Post by Lyra Karant 13th February 2022, 11:20 pm

Lyra Karant
    A Step Away From Sanity

The one advantage to being connected via iLac to all of the guild notification systems was that whenever a new guild request went up, it was sent directly to the device instead of having to run out to the message board whenever it was physically posted. Digital copies were a wonderful thing and Lyra availed herself of every opportunity to read a guild request on her rather stereotypical pink device before she wasnt and examined the physical version for any additional details that may not have been included in the message. For example, certain images did not get scanned, and thus the onus was on the guild member to go and take a look at the board and see for themselves precisely what the message contained. That was exactly the case with this particularly odd request that had gone up, one that Lyra was unsure how to interpret - it probably meant that it was not for her eyes, but nonetheless the rose quartz mage was curious as to how this would come about.

By the time Lyra attended the board herself to examine the request up close, it seemed that someone else was already in the middle of perusing whatever that message had been. The mage wasn't surprised by that; it was a very unusual request and one that merited further investigation up close. Even at this distance, Lyra could see that there as a blonde-haired woman investigating the request and that she was having quite a time doing so. Seemingly enthralled by the missive, the woman was in front of the board and Lyra was not far behind.

Descending the grand staircase that circumnavigated the Grand Hall, the pink-haired woman looked over at the message board with little more than a furtive glance at the woman examining the request.

"Hi, sorry!" Lyra said with a sheepish smile. "I couldn't help but notice you were looking at the same request I was coming down to get a closer look at. Were you thinking of taking it on?" she asked, definitely interested in doing it herself, but still coming to terms with precisely how to handle it.

TAG: @Fraag WORDS: 357 TOTAL: 972 JOB: Link
    MEL @ WW

_____________________________________________________________________________________

A Step Away From Sanity AKPhYOh
    BIO | LINEAGE | AURORA SLAYER | CRYSTALLINE PANOPLY | TRACKER
    #ffa9e0
    +100% Jewels In Effect - Lineage
    Fraag
    Fraag

Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Fraag 14th February 2022, 4:30 pm

Nita turned at the sound of someone's voice behind her, to see a pink-haired, green-eyed young woman standing behind her. Quickly, the Pergrandian composed herself and returned a smile of her own. It was not becoming of her to not act warmly just because she had seen something that had frightened her. It seemed as though this fellow guild member was interested in the same mission that Nita had been perusing, so the blonde mage held out the photograph of the strange writing to her. As one who tried to be relatively savvy with the goings on of the guild, Nita was quick to realize that the woman standing before her was an Ace of Luminous Rose. Although she had never met her in person, Nita had been sure to at least be able to recognize any members of the leadership of her guild, hence her recognition of the mage known as Lyra Karant. For her own part, being a relative newcomer to the guild, the Pergrandian was of the opinion that it was a little too early to be a recognizable face. And as was expected of people expected to be cultured, it thus meant that it was necessary to make introductions.

"Hi," Nita replied as jovially as she could permit herself, though deep down she was really feeling worried. "I'm the one who should be apologizing, for hogging the board so shamelessly. My name is Nita, and I'm a little bit new to the guild. As to whether I am interested in taking on this mission, I'm not particularly confident about my desire to do so, although I am also quite unsure of my ability to refuse to take this mission. As such, it seems I sadly do not have a choice in this matter." The Pergrandian sighed, then suddenly remembered that it was very likely that the Luminous Rose Ace had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. "But I should not be mindlessly rambling about matters that are probably not so clear to you. Please, have a look at the photograph." Of course, depicted in the photograph would be the strange cryptic writing that had been the obsession of the fellow who had gone into the rift in space, if the mission details were true.

"Do you understand what that strange writing reads?" It would be very unlikely that Lyra did. After getting her reply, whatsoever it would be, Nita said, "I think this quest is specifically meant for me. The mission details speak of finding the Linguist of the Shining Rose of Fiore. The Shining Rose of Fiore would most probably have to be our guild; I would frankly be surprised if it wasn't. I am most certain that I am the linguist being spoken of, because I am well versed in a good deal of languages. Still, I do not believe just about any normal linguist would be able to decipher what that thing reads, because what is written there is not a language that any people group of Earthland uses. However, I know what it reads, because I have seen it before, and I know the race that uses it. The message reads: 'The Deep Ones see all'. While it might be senseless in meaning, I think it actually has a lot of meaning when I consider the message. I think they have found me."

Unfortunately, Nita was too flustered in her mind to realize that she was probably just creating more questions for her fellow guild member, by speaking cryptically and not really explaining anything. Discomfiture had the ability to scatter the thoughts of even the most coherent of people. But one thing was clear: even though Nita had forgotten to explain who the 'they' were, or the identity of the race that inscribed in that strange language, it was obvious that she was quite unhappy that she had seen this message. But being sad never really solved any problems; it was easy to come to such a conclusion from a few moments of observation or experience, or both. The blonde mage looked up, her heterochromic eyes meeting Lyra's green. "I don't have a choice. It's most likely a trap, but I won't be able to sleep if I leave this unattended to."

WC: 712
    PWC: 1327
    TWC: 1684

@Lyra Karant

Lyra Karant
    Lyra Karant

Main Account- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Demon Slayer- Legal Guild Ace- S-Rank- A-Rank- Forever Solo- Christian Minecraft Server- I Have Friends...- Hired Help- Unknown Powerhouse- Achiever- Expert Achiever- Taskmaster- Halloween job event participant - Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Tertiary Magic- Christmas Event Winner- Have an Admin as a friend!- Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Lyra Karant 27th February 2022, 1:34 pm

Lyra Karant
    A Step Away From Sanity

"Don't worry, I'm new too," Lyra replied reassuringly; she knew all too well the terror of being surrounded by a veritable army of new people, where the faces came and went consistently as the world continued to move. After all, the guilds were busy and full of people always trying to find work; Luminous Rose was one such guild with a dearth of members that were always on the move for something to do. Everyone here needed to work - and, as an addendum to such, many of this particular guild held second jobs, particularly in the music industry; it was an odd twist, but one that kept the secluded little river paradise a bustling hub of activity. It was most certainly unceasingly frenetic here, and this was something that the rose quartz struggled to keep up with on a good day. "But it's a pleasure to meet you, Nita."

The hesitation on Nita's part with particular regard to this mission was interesting to Lyra for a number of reasons; one, it looked interesting enough for anyone to handle, but when someone apprached it with sufficient trepidation in their heart that there was a pause when they spoke of it brought cause for concern. And, when Lyra followed the instructions as she was asked to do, then she saw, listened and understood - and, by virtue of being asked about her understanding, shook her head in the negative to indicate that the pink-haired woman did not in fact understand what was going on with the writing proferred to her - and this seemed like a more personal matter to Nita for some reason that was as of yet unclear to her. This was a not-so-common occurrence; when someone was looking for someone specific, the mission typically did not appear publically in a manner such as this.

On the other hand, Nita was sufficiently impressive to Lyra. It was obvious to the rose quartz that she was a powerful mage in her own right; magical energy rolled off her in waves so strong that they could not be ignored. THere was a solid chance Nita could have removed Lyra from existence with her eyes closed, which was oddly reassuring in a way - with the world's current state, Lyra was full glad of the presence of mages who could assist the guild and be powerful enough to handle themselves no matter what threats and dangers proved themselves present in the world. Add to that the ability to work with a wide variety of languages and the mage was sufficiently impressed by all of this. On the other hand, Lyra was just... a girl who had a sword, sometimes, and maybe some wings, and managed to stumble on her powers. By contrast, she was starting to feel small. But that was fine. She was rather used to that feeling by now, truth told. This was the joy of being late to the magic game, unlike most of her companions.

One truth remained, however: if this was a message meant for Nita, and one specifically intended to lure her into a trap, then there was only one course of action that Lyra could follow, for there was only one true response to her allies being threatened in such a way. Unfortunate as it was, this was the way of things, and there would be no remorse or other recourse than to follow her into battle.

"Well... all things considered, if this is in fact a trap designed to lure you in, I would feel awful if I did not offer to come with you and assist in springing the trap. Perhaps they might think twice if two of us go. We could catch them off guard if something goes really wrong," she offered - it wasn't much, but it was a start, as far as Lyra was concerned.

TAG: @Fraag WORDS: 645 TOTAL: 2,329 JOB: Link
    MEL @ WW

#ffa9e0
    Fraag
    Fraag

Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Fraag 28th February 2022, 5:52 pm

As expected, Lyra did not understand what the writing in the photo meant. It was most likely as the Pergrandian had surmised: this was a trap. And, after listening to Nita’s explanation on what she thought was going on, Lyra decided, even though she knew little to nothing about the details, that she was going to help her guild mate. Of course, with Luminous Rose being a guild that placed great emphasis on being family and helping one another out with their burdens, such was to be expected. Still, Nita could not help but feel tons of gratitude for the offer of aid. Those who believed more in the supremacy of power would have probably felt that Lyra would be a bit more of a setback to the success of the mission, if the pink-haired mage wasn’t as strong as Nita. And yet, being the person Nita was, she understood the actions borne out of the kindness of a compassionate soul, and was thankful that she could find someone willing to share her burdens with her. Nita understood that not everything could be solved with might. Some matters could not be solved except by wisdom, and there wasn’t really any correlation between the possession of power and the wisdom to make the best decisions. Also, just the presence of a friend or comrade could make what seemed difficult not so hard to bear, regardless of the power levels of the individuals who shared the bond of friendship.

For a while, Nita was silent, as she looked at the pink-haired young woman, a soft smile of gratitude on her face. Then slowly, she would try to pull Lyra in for a hug, if the latter would let her. It seemed that being refused the hug was quite unlikely though, seeing as her fellow guild member seemed to be a nice and warm person. ”You’ve no idea what your offer of help means to me, Lyra,” she said. ”From the bottom of my heart, thank you. I’d always thought that if an issue such as this cropped up, that I would have to face it alone, but your offer to stand with me is quite consoling. I do not take it lightly.” Even though it was Lyra that offered help, Nita was responsible enough to immediately decide that the Luminous Rose ace was her responsibility. That would mean that the Pergrandian would make sure that whatever happened, Lyra got back safe and sound.

”Wait!” Nita suddenly said, looking intensely at her pink-haired companion. ”Aside hearing from me that this is very likely a trap, do you really have an idea of what’s going on? I suppose it is only fair that you know, since you’ve so kindly offered to help me.” Truth was, Nita did not enjoy sharing stories of her past. Even though there was little in her past that accorded her blame, recounting such stories brought back painful memories, recollections of times and places which were not so far away in occurrence, if they were, as far as geography was concerned. ”I think we should take a seat.” So saying, she gestured to one of the benches that were positioned close by, and walked over to seat herself of the structure. After Lyra would have drawn close and made herself comfortable, Nita would attempt to give a rather concise story of the events of her life that had brought her up to this particular moment. ”I was born and raised in Pergrande, though I had a sort of accident that granted me magical powers and thus forced me to flee my homeland. You do know the stance of Pergrande against all things that use magic, right?” There was a short pause, as Nita reorganized her thoughts. ”Anyway, it’s how I gained my magic that has led to the present situation in which we find ourselves. You see, one day, I, as well as some other people, got abducted by extraplanar beings, called Primordials, that seemed interested in making an incursion against Earthland. Still, they were afraid to do it as they had little knowledge of the beings that dwell here, as well as the fact that they are a very paranoid and opportunistic race. They are quite powerful in their own rights, though; they are more or less gods, even. Still, I’m sure there exist people in Earthland who have power to break gods, something that they most likely were aware of. In any case, having abducted us, they proceeded to perform experiments on us to understand more about humans. I don’t want to think about those things. In any case, I was able to device a means to free myself and everyone who was still alive, but it earned me the wrath of one of these extraplanar gods, who intended to curse me, but a betrayal and a twist of fate led to me absorbing the god’s essence and gaining powers, which allowed me to fully rescue those of us who yet lived. I could not remain in Pergrande though, because even those I had saved looked at me as a monster. So I fled to Fiore and have been here ever since. The writing you see in the photo, it is unique to the civilization of whoever kidnapped us in Pergrande. So I know they’re involved. That they know of a Linguist in the shining Rose of Fiore means they know where I am, and they want me. If I’m to guess, that would be either for revenge or to probably retake their powers from me. I know that Nazo is considered to be a strange place, so I’m guessing that whoever sent this mission request may have managed to interact with a Primordia, and it ran him insane. Did I mention that Primordials tend to break human minds when they interact with them?”

Nita rose to her feet. ”So, that’s my story, and that’s why I think this here is a trap,” she said. ”But since you’ve decided to come along, I feel more reassured that things will turn out better than I initially expected. I can get us to Nazo in a blink, so we won’t waste time, but I’ll have to warn you, the portals I use are filled with some weird water. On the flip side, if you get wet in the waters of my portal, it only takes a few moments to get dry. I had only initially wanted to look at the Mission Board out of boredom, so I’m not a hundred percent ready to blast off. Can we meet here again in like five minutes? And then we’ll see what this suspicious mission is all about.”

WC: 1115
    PWC: 2442
    TWC: 3444

@Lyra Karant

Lyra Karant
    Lyra Karant

Character Sheet

Post by Lyra Karant 6th March 2022, 11:57 am

Lyra Karant
    A Step Away From Sanity

There was no resistance on the part of the rose quartz when she was pulled in for a hug, though it most certainly did catch her off guard - Lyra was in fact a hugger herself by nature, so returning the hug was little issue for her. Actually, it was kind of comforting, and also rather surprising, how many people in the guild were huggers once they got close to one another.

The story itself, however, was something of an absolute marvel to listen to. As she was bade, Lyra sat down with Nita, and gave full attention to every word spoken by her fellow guildmate. She offered no words until it was done, but ensured that she paid attention to the full tale - not that it was particularly difficult to listen to something that was actually rather gripping as far as stories go. Now, for some mild context, Lyra had no problems believing that otherworldly things could happen in, around and on Earthland - she herself played host to one such otherworldly experience, and she did not regret the fact that she had to play host to such. Even if that particular spirit that now inhabited her mind and body was being strangely quiet as of late, the fact was that she could feel his presence, and that in itself was rather reassuring. On the flip side, there was the sheer fact that these oddities tended to happen to those who drew power to themselves, and Nita was one such person - her strength could not be denied and Lyra was absolutely certain of the fact that she was not only capable of defending herself but exuding the immense power required to defeat her enemies, no matter where in time or space they hailed from. This was an absolute of life. Strength begat strength - not only was it a requisite for making oneself stronger, but the strong were also drawn to the strong. This was how things worked and Lyra would have no qualms affirming that statement at any point in time. The heterochromatic woman was most certainly strong enough to draw the attention of others - was this mission posted to the guild's board not proof of that logic? Her might had conjured in the attention of otherworldly beings that were now in the process of possessing locals, breaking them to their will, and then pursuing their agenda no matter how sinister it might have been. This was an outcome that Lyra considered to be abhorrent, for the corruption of innocent souls was not the path that Lyra wished to see walked. Those who did not need to be swept up in conflict should not have been, and this was how the pink-haired girl had decided on the way she wished to proceed with assisting Nita's particular enquiry.

As for the one particular revelation of Nita's heritage? "I'm not bothered at all by where you're from," Lyra declared intently. She had been at Joya, as many others had, and had bore witness to the carnage that had ensued as a result. This was the way the world had developed, and while this was no time to wax poetic about the ramifications of the destruction of an entire city, it had divided some people down clear lines of belief, ones that Lyra would not consider to walk. The war that threatened to consume the entire world was in fact going to be very real and sweep the guilds along with it - so for every step that Lyra fought the currents of political belief and power with, it was all the better for her to contemplate. This being the case, the rose quartz mage would not even consider the fact that the woman before her was Pergrandian was even remotely important. The most important thing to Lyra was what lived inside Nita's heart, and it was imperatively clear that what lied there was pure and hale and whole and devoted to the relief of others.

"If this is a trap, then I believe it is in our best interest to spring it ourselves on our terms," Lyra said as she rose from her seat with the same sort of finality that the blonde-haired woman had showed next to her. However, the serious expression that crossed Lyra's face softened a moment later. "The water might be a different story though! I'm kidding. It's fine. I don't mind getting a little wet if I have to."

Portal magic was not Lyra's forte, though she understood that magic could take just about any form. However, gathering in five minutes seemed to be a wise idea - it was sufficient time to grab a snack, stock up on the necessary supplies that they would need, and perhaps start by donning her armour should it be required to make landfall through the portal and immediately commence combat operations. This was an eventuality Lyra had to consider as well. Her abilities and equipment might be enough to sustain her through all of this, but she'd have to be ready for it - losing the initiative and being caught off guard would render all such magical boons completely impotent.

"Five minutes it is. I'll see you back here shortly!"

TAG: @Fraag WORDS: 875 TOTAL: 4,319 JOB: Link
    MEL @ WW

#ffa9e0
    Fraag
    Fraag

Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Fraag 8th March 2022, 5:24 pm

It was quite reassuring for Nita to hear her fellow guild mate show no adverse reactions to her nationality. The desire to not be discriminated as a result of her nationality had been what had made the Pergrandian decide to settle in Fiore; among all the countries of Ishgar, there were very few that could boast of being as accommodating as the most western of the Ishgaran nations was. Coupled with the fact that Fiore appeared to have a relatively large mage population, the choice of that country was a no-brainer, even if she had had to travel many miles to escape her original homeland, the land she could never belong to anymore, and for no fault of hers. On getting to Fiore, she had realized that its status as a ‘land of opportunity’ had not been overstated, and Luminous Rose had provided a rather cozy place to settle in and feel like she belonged. But it was perhaps in this moment that she truly appreciated the guild she had joined, as today she could say with certainty that she was really family, for it was rare for someone to seemingly dive into danger alongside a relative stranger, unless there were bonds shared that were thicker than mere camaraderie.

Nita had returned to where she had told her story to Lyra Karant, ready to face whatever was waiting for them in Nazo. She had returned to the waiting area near the Mission Board right on time, in order not to keep the pink-haired mage waiting, if the latter was one who valued keeping to time like she was. To an uninformed person, Nita would not appear in the slightest to be ready to go into danger; she was simply dressed as if she was going on an outing. But seeing as she could whip her weapons into her hands at a moment’s notice by the use of her magic, that would not matter in the slightest. She had taken everything she thought she would need, except one thing, which in her opinion was the most important necessity for this mission: information. Although she had never been to Nazo, Nita had been quick to research on the planet, and was sure that she knew enough to be able to create a portal to the planet, if need be, and what would be expected on getting there. But the most important information, which was related to the true nature and essence of the Primordials, she did not know. She would thus have to take this as one of those ‘learn on the fly’ missions.

In any case, she and Lyra would not be taking one of her portals directly to Nazo, which was quite a boon, in Nita’s opinion. As the strange world of Nazo was a place notorious for defying physical laws, launching out from the Wakusei Portals nexus would be more settling than jumping straight into Nazo, with all its weirdness. Nita made a mental note to ensure that she would get all possible information from the academicians who had engaged Luminous Rose’s services, before she ventured into the unknown. It was not the wisest thing to do to just jump in without learning as much as she could. And if it was indeed true that this whole setup was a trap, springing traps had an increasing rate of profitability for the hunted, which was directly proportional to the amount of knowledge the hunted had concerning the trap. And the fact that she wasn’t going alone presented another advantage. An extra set of eyes, a different point of view and hands-on backup was assured in Lyra’s presence.

As soon as Lyra arrived, Nita nodded and said with much more enthusiasm than she felt, ”Alright! Let’s find out what’s going on, and settle it.” She held out her hand, and a rectangular portal appeared in the air, framed by a light blue border. Its face was murky and mysterious, and looked like the surface of dark grey water, which made it seem all the stranger, as the face of this ‘pool’ was standing vertically in mid-air. ”Are you ready to go? As I said before, prepare for a bit of swimming. But there won’t be a problem, even if you can’t swim. You’ll realize that in the space between worlds through which I travel, breathing seems to work just fine, despite the weirdness of the watery medium, and gravity is dictated by your thought.” So saying, she stepped into the open portal, vanishing from the Luminous Rose guild. The portal still remained open, until Lyra entered, and then it would shut.

Within the portal, it would seem like underwater, although unlike the real experience underwater, neither breathing nor speaking were in the slightest bit impeded. As was always the case when Nita traveled in the Interdimensional Sea, she swam a little distance, and then a portal similar to the one that had opened up in the Luminous Rose building appeared. There was a notable difference, though. With this portal, it was quite easy to see what was waiting beyond the interdimensional doorway, in this case, it was the nexus between the portals linked by the Wakusei Portals waystation. Nita had always thought it reasonable to swim when she was in the Interdimensional Sea, but she suspected that even if she did not move, the portal leading to wherever she wished to go would eventually appear; it took about three or four seconds using a standard watch, for the portal to appear, although Nita could delay the appearance of a portal as long as she wished. Now, however, was not the time for delays.

She exited the portal, some distance from where the Wakusei gateway to Nazo stood. There was a makeshift tent set up there, and three people were in front of the tent; one sitting and tied to a chair, raving as he sat. The second, a much older man, was trying to feed him, while the third, a younger woman who seemed to be in her middle ages, was watching the proceeding with some consternation. On seeing Nita’s portal, they had all stopped and stared at it in surprise, and then the restrained young man began his ravings again, this time with more energy, apparently in manic glee. ”The Librarian of the Rose!” he shrieked, trying in vain to leap from his chair. ”Wow,” Nita commented, wringing her hair out, ”he looks happy to see me.” There was a pause, then the old man stepped forward. ”Are you both from Luminous Rose? What a silly question, of course you are! You came because of Dr. Bertrand? Impeccable timing!”

The middle-aged woman, however, did not seem particularly impressed. ”You may have missed it, but that girl’s accent is Pergrandian,” she said, crossing her arms with a hostile expression on her face. ”I am not interested in engaging the services of an enemy. Besides, what if what’s in Nazo can be weaponized, and the Pergrandians have come to steal it, knowing what we’ve found?”

WC: 1173
    PWC: 3615
    TWC: 5492

@Lyra Karant

Lyra Karant
    Lyra Karant

Character Sheet

Post by Lyra Karant 28th March 2022, 1:53 am

Lyra Karant
    A Step Away From Sanity

By contrast to Nita, Lyra’s five minutes were far shorter - it was, given that she had to return to her quarters to spend a minute preparing, a simple matter to have a quick glance over her equipment. Sure, most mages kept their equipment in the void between words to be summoned via the manipulation of ethernano in order to have them on hand at a moment's notice, but when Lyra was at home she preferred to keep her equipment physically conjured and on hand in case she needed them. If she planned on leaving the guild hall, then absolutely she would return them to that space so that she could use them - but it was as much a sign of trust as it was that she was prepared to leaved her treasured panoply back in her quarters - it was far simpler to leave the toys at home and ensure that this was the end of it rather than openly carry weapons that could have been used to enact needless violence against others. However, once she was sufficiently satisfied that the armoured plating of her steel rose and the crystalline weave of her rapier were both in perfect working order, she consigned them both to their fate of returning to that immortal void from whence they came, and was therefore prepared. So too was her loyal companion Akasha ready; the warmth of the bird's spirit conjoined upon hers sufficient warning that she would be in a position to be ready for whatever came her way.

Upon Lyra's return, there she was; the heterochromatic woman's presence already prepared for ahead of hers indicated that Lyra had taken just a fraction more than the five minutes that she had originally indicated to wish to take. Unfortunately, it did mean that Lyra was late, which was something that she loathed, but nonetheless she would be here and prepared to move forward with their task. The portal, rectangular and azure in nature, shimmered before Lyra, and she was mightily prepared mentally to face whatever it was that was before her. A sheepish smile crossed her face. "Sorry I'm late," she said by way of apology, before she gave Nita a solemn nod of solidarity. "I'm ready though, I promise!"

However, by way of explanation of portal magic, Lyra was thoroughly baffled. The fact that the laws of nature seemed to stop existing entirely was something that she really was not sure about - but what else could she do about that particular situation? The rose quartz mage could only marvel, and hope that her first foray into the aquatic medium went well. So saying, after Nita took a practised step into the abyss, the pink-haired mage followed suit. It was an uncomfortable feeling for the first few moments; she didn't know what to expect other than the sensation of being wet - it was so odd to not be in a traditional pool of water and feeling like one could breathe, and possibly speak, where the perception of time, space and reality all began to distort as if one had simply taken the world and twisted it a little to the left and right just to leave strange traces of everything just a little bit askew. Lyra wasn't sure what to make of it. She had eyes on her travelling companion, however, and that was the only saving grace available to her--

The dventure ended abruptly as the next portal appeared and one by one the guild mages stepped through, into the nexus between worlds-- Wakusei. Lyra had never been here before herself, only heard in passing about this place's existence. It was an oddity too that she would have to investigate at some point in the near future, though now was absolutely not the time to do so. As if on cue, Lyra conjured a small flame, for both herself and Nita; hopefully the tiny flame mote would assist in the process of drying their clothes and hair out as it surrounded their bodies, performing small orbits in order to wick away some of the moisture that surrounded their bodies.

A series of words were exchanged, and there was a very tense moment as a woman with a piercing gaze levelled some very heavy accusations against Nita, which Lyra could not help but take a step forward to. Once, she might have shied away from such, but here and now after enough time with the guild she had learned to stand up for not only herself but her friends. No longer was she a mere wallflower to be plucked or trampled. "Excuse me, but we are from Luminous Rose. Please do not mind our heritage, but we represent the Guild and have come to answer the summons placed before us. My name is Lyra, this is Nita, and we'd like any relevant information, please."

It was rather pointed. Her eyes travelled over the three gathered before her, though the last sentence was uttered directly at the woman whose vile accusations of her fellow guildmate were worth a solid rebuke.

TAG: @Fraag WORDS: 849 TOTAL: 6,341 JOB: Link
    MEL @ WW

#ffa9e0
    Fraag
    Fraag

Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Fraag 28th March 2022, 3:34 pm

The little flame summoned by Lyra seemed to be quite a nifty thing, and it would definitely make the whole process of drying out much quicker, even though the strange water from the Interdimensional Sea would have evaporated of its own accord in a much shorter time span than it took for wet clothes, hair and skin to normally dry out. Perhaps it also gave a hint as to the sort of magic Lyra possessed. In any case, Nita had the feeling that it would not take long before she knew more of Lyra’s spells, and Lyra in turn learned more about hers. For there was this strange feeling of prognosis that Nita could not shake, that seemed to suggest impending battle. Well, they would cross that bridge when they came to it. For now, the first thing to deal with was the raving researcher, who by now seemed to be almost going mad with glee, at the arrival of the two mages. While Nita had taken note of the other woman’s hard words, she decided to momentarily keep her peace, as her gaze shifted from the raver to the older woman. To an extent, this was expected. These people were from the Bellian Higher School of Arcane Studies. Even though the name Bertrand (which, if she was to go by the mission detail, would belong to the frenzied man tied to the chair) didn’t sound Bellian, Nita was sure that the other two researchers were from the country of all things magic. There were a very great number of Bellians who did not care for citizens of their greatest enemy nation, Pergrande. But if a life was to be saved, and this matter were to be resolved properly, then such enmities were petty, and best avoided.

Nita smiled gratefully at her friend and nodded her thanks. Then she turned back to face the scientists and waited for them to answer. For a moment, the older lady still stared at the two mages with her stony expression, but the older man pulled her aside, and they began to argue in excited whispers, and in a different language: Bellia. While it was difficult to catch what they were saying due to the lowered volume of their voices, Nita was a polyglot, and was thus well versed in a number of languages, Bellia being one of them. So she could pick snatches of their conversation: apparently, neither of them was pleased that there was a Pergrandian answering their summons, but the old man seemed more desperate than the woman was, to see what could be done for their maniac colleague. Well, while they were busy arguing, Nita would simply attempt to heal the man’s mind. She knew better than others that it was very unwise to leave a person who had been tainted by Primordial essence without trying to do something to save said person’s mind. The life and sanity of an individual, in the Pergrandian’s opinion, was much more important than politics and the lines humans drew to differentiate themselves from one another.

Stepping forward, Nita could sense the miasma around the raving man. It seemed rather strong, but she was sure she could break the hold of the Primordial on this man’s mind. Clasping her hands together, she began to chant in a strange tongue, as a gentle blue light surrounded the two of them, bathing the surroundings in an unnatural, yet calming, glow. Then the Pergrandian unclasped her fingers and placed a hand on the man’s forehead. He gave a loud cry and strained for a moment at his bonds, and then his body went limp, his eyes staring unblinking into an unfixed position in space. ”Do—do you see?” the older woman said in a subdued, horrified tone, ”she has killed him.” As though in reply to that statement, the eyes of the man who had been raving swiveled to focus on the form of Nita standing before him, and he blinked in surprise. ”Am I dead?” he asked, turning his head to look at Lyra. He couldn’t see his colleagues, because they were behind him. ”But if I’m dead, I must be in serious trouble, else, why am I tied up? Are you two angels? I really hope so because--”

His stream of words were cut short as the old man slapped him playfully on the back of the head. ”Shut up, Bertrand,” said the professor. ”Do you know how worried we’ve been about you?” Bertrand gave a displeased scowl. ”Professor Helon… crap. I’m not dead yet.” Nita laughed. ”Your friend talks a lot, doesn’t he?” That spell had been tiring; it was one of her strongest, and not one she used anyhow. Still, it seemed quite necessary to have been used for this occasion, and though Nita was feeling a little winded, she was sure she could still go on and face whatever surprises lay ahead, after getting more information on the matter. But she apparently wasn’t ready for the surprise when the previously antagonistic woman pulled up two chairs for the Luminous Rose mages to make themselves comfortable.

”Please forgive my abrasiveness, both of you,” she said, as she waited for the two young women to seat themselves. ”I acted in a wrong manner.” Nita sat on the chair offered her, and smiled at the woman. ”Don’t worry. I fully understand. Before I acquired my magic, I would have responded similarly to a Bellian, simply because our nations are at war. In any case, if will help to make you more comfortable, I am a member of one of Fiore’s most noteworthy guilds, and Fiore is your ally, no? And I am no longer affiliated with Pergrande, so…” she let her words hang, as she shrugged. It was easy for Nita to forgive, as long as the person to be forgiven showed remorse. That was her way. Grudges were too expensive. The older woman returned the smile, then sat on a pile of equipment. ”Lest I engage in more rudeness, let me apologize again for no proper introductions. I am Professor Olivia Aurea, and that over there is Professor Alf Helon, who sent the mission request. Dr. Jove Bertrand is the one you healed. We were initially studying the minerals of Nazo, to investigate whether they differ from those of Earthland, and how they do. It was then we came upon a strange portal, as Professor Helon must have mentioned in the request. Being reckless and impulsive--”

”The proper term is audacious,” Jove called out from where he was being doted on by the other professor. Olivia silenced him with a reproachful, yet dramatically humorous, glare. ”As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, that rash scamp offered to go in, and see what was in it, not caring about risk to life and limb. We were against this, but he suggested that we tie a rope around him, and pull him out of he had not emerged in ten seconds. And that is exactly what happened. When we pulled him out, he was unconscious, but alive, and when he came to, he began raving about the Shining Rose of Fiore and a linguist, and writing in that strange language. Well, you have come, and he is well now. I hope he will be more careful in the near future. Now I have a few questions I’d like to ask, but it would be rude to just begin doing so without allowing you ask yours first. Do you have any questions for us?”

”I hope one of the questions is about my cell number,” Jove said, winking at the two young women. Alf glared him into proper behavior. ”What an insufferable philanderer,” Professor Aurea said with a sigh, though she was obviously amused. ”Well. Questions?”

WC: 1301
    PWC: 4916
    TWC: 7642

@Lyra Karant

Lyra Karant
    Lyra Karant

Character Sheet

Post by Lyra Karant 31st March 2022, 3:49 am

Lyra Karant
    A Step Away From Sanity

The sheer reality of the situation was that Lyra had absolutely no idea what was being spoken; as a Fiorean native with little linguistic prowess, she was unable to understand a single word about anything that was being said - and the bewildered look on her face that she was unable to contain absolutely reflected that for her. She wasn't here to hide how she felt about any given situation, and the fact was that things were being said, possibly about her and her friend, that may have had some impact on the unfolding moment around them. Lyra didn't precisely appreciate the prospect of being spoken about in a foreign tongue on purpose, but she held back any remarks. There was no point in being any kind of hostile and as far as she cared there was no situation in which she had the right to be openly hostile, especially when someone's heritage might have been the question. No, she would absolutely hold back and refrain from any comments, especially--

The colour blue permeated the room as Nita stepped forth and unleashed a powerful magick that worked wonders on the professor's mental state; whatever Nita had done had stabilised a potentially bad situation, and now she was proving her ascended abilities to be more valuable than anything. Truly, whatever had made this mission happen was intentionally calling out to her, and the proof was now directly in front of Lyra's eyes. There was no arguing with this.

As Jove came to again, she met his eyes and listened to his words, and couldn't help herself. Lyra did not suppress a laugh. "That's not the first time I've been called an angel, but no, I most certainly am not one," she commented with a smile to the professor who had just been brought back to the land of the living. "This is the lovely Nita, who has just brought you back, Professor. I'm Lyra. We're here from Luminous Rose in Fiore to assist you."

Finally, the team of academics invited them to sit, and Lyra gladly took that chance; she used that moment to size up the team - the outspoken and brash Professor Bertrand, the more stoic and observant Professor Helon, and the prideful Professor Aurea. She couldn't really get a good read on two of them-- and then Jove opened his mouth. Lyra paused, pointedly casting a glance at Doctor Bertrand as he left a sly remark about the ability to contact him - for just a moment she furrowed her brow and then turned away from him. Her naivete might have been endearing but even Lyra was not that stupid so as to rise to that comment. She was inexperienced, not an idiot. However, her attentions turned to Professor Aurea, who seemed to be the one on top of everything - which was absolutely fine by her. Lyra could respect a woman who had done well for herself, particularly in a male-dominated field; this was something that she definitely appreciated. It was nice to see her keep up with her peers and, in many cases, outshine them.

"Plenty of questions, in this particular case, but I'll try and keep it to a few pertinent ones," Lyra commented, chuckling slightly. Oh how interesting it was that the person she was addressing was originally so intently hostile to them based on what had happened thus far! "The original request in question was twofold. One part to heal Doctor Bertrand, and the other to investigate the strange symbols that he had shared in his... state," Lyra started, then thought hard about this. They would have to enter Nazo in order to ascertain the truth of the sigils that had been cast and Lyra was unfortunately on so read on the situation in other worlds - and by 'so read', one could absolutely correctly interpret that as completely ignorant. She'd never really travelled beyond Fiore other to attend Joya during the great harrowing, and that was all the travel experience the rose quartz had picked up. So, she'd need to consult with the closest things that passed for experts in this field that were available to her in order to steel herself for the great unknown that was about to come for them. "I won't lie, I'm neither linguist or travel specialist. Will we be entering Nazo to investigate the situation, and if so, what information do you have?"

TAG: @Fraag WORDS: 737 TOTAL: 8,379 JOB: Link
    MEL @ WW

#ffa9e0
    Fraag
    Fraag

Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Fraag 1st April 2022, 11:54 pm

Professor Aurea listened to Lyra’s questions silently, then she looked at her two colleagues, who seemed to be arguing about something. ”Well, I can emphatically say that you’ve done a great job concerning the first part of the mission request,” the academic said with a small smile. ”Dr. Bertrand seems to be exactly as he was before he went into that strange crack in space. To be honest, Jove’s health was our biggest concern. The matter of the strange writing is there, but it’s a secondary thing. As things stand, we’ve collected enough data on our original research to go back to Bellum and write at least five articles on what we’ve found. So, if the writing cannot be deciphered, well, there will be no reductions to your remunerations.” Nita pulled out the picture that had been attached to the mission request when she had come across it in the guild’s HQ, and looked at it briefly. Then the Pergrandian spoke, ”I know what the writing says, because I have come across such an alphabet before. In fact, it would be more accurate to say that I can read it rather well.” The two men stopped their argument and turned to look at Nita. ”Indeed?” Professor Helon asked, hurrying closer, and excited expression on his face. ”What does it say? And what civilization does it come from? Olivia thinks it might be related to an ancient Sinnite lexical script, used way long before the cataclysm that turned Sin into an infernal waste. I have absolutely no experience on ancient languages, but I’m inclined to go with Olivia. Jove, as expected of someone as dramatic as he always is, believes the language is not even Ishgaran in origin.”

”He’s right, it’s not,” Nita replied. ”It’s not even from Earthland, as far as I’m aware.”

”What are its origins, then? And what does the civilization that bears ownership of this language call itself?” Olivia asked. Nita shrugged in response. ”I don’t think the civilization bears a name that can be expressed in spoken language. But the closest thing we can call them in any Ishgaran tongue would be ‘Primordials’. They fall into the category of gods, I believe, but they are anything but benevolent. Also, they do not belong to Earthland’s plane, and have considerable difficulty in manifesting themselves on this plane without special conduits or preparations. As to the message Dr. Bertrand had been scribbling, it roughly says, ‘The Deep Ones see all.’ I’m guessing ‘Deep Ones’ here would be the Primordials.” There was some silence as the researchers processed the information. ”Well, it is as interesting as it is ironic that I offered to answer your questions, but you seem to have all the answers, Linguist,” Professor Aurea said. Nita was relieved to note that the woman’s voice bore no tones of suspicion, merely curiosity. [color:81d3==ffbbff]”I don’t see myself as the authority on Primordial lore,” Nita replied, ”but I have interacted with one of their kind, rather… extensively. It was from that one that I managed to come away with a lot of information about them. But rest assured, Primordials are neither benign nor considerate. My survival of the encounter between myself and the Primordial was a rather surprising twist of fate, but it came at a cost. Most times, human interactions with Primordials come at a cost to sanity.”

”You look rather sane to me,” Jove said. ”Am I?” Nita asked, giving the man a probing stare. There was a bit of silence, then Nita gave Dr. Bertrand a mischievous smile and wink, and continued talking. ”It is rather obvious that Dr. Bertrand’s encounter with whatever was inside that rift was done so that the Linguist of the Shining Rose of Fiore would come here. And she has. Personally, I find that title excessively flattering and bogus, but I suppose it’s a relatively apt descriptor. Sorry Jove, you were apparently used as bait to bring me here.” Jove smiled. ”Yes, yes, I feel so unimportant. Better you than me anyhow, if all of this is for an audience with those things out there. And before anyone asks, no, I cannot tell you what I saw inside the rift, not because I don’t want to, but because I cannot. I only remember entering the rift, and then I was here, tied to that chair.”

”But what do the Primordials want with you?” Olivia asked, looking worried. ”Revenge, I guess,” came the reply. ”My encounter with the Primordial was my guaranteed death, or a worse fate, but as I mentioned earlier, the winds of chance blew a tornado, and I escaped. With the Primordial’s powers, and some of its memories. Apparently, I left some of mine behind, because I seem to have difficulty remembering some things before that fateful incident. Well, that matters little. What matters is that while it isn’t strictly part of our mission, my intention is to go and investigate that space-time breach in Nazo, with the specific intention of ensuring that it gets closed permanently. If there is even the slightest possibility that a Primordial can find its way into our dimension, I must ensure that such a possibility is erased.” Nita turned to look at Lyra. That was the major reason she had asked for help from the pink haired mage. ”Thanks for coming along with me,” the blonde mage whispered to the Luminous Rose ace.

”Well, if you want to go Nazo visiting, I shall tell you all I can about the planet in few words,” Alf said, clearing his throat and sitting down beside Olivia. ”First of all, many physical laws that apply in Earthland don’t operate in Nazo: time, gravity, relativity, sometimes even reality seems to be turned on its head. It’s both an interesting and scary experience. If you want to find the rift in space, once you enter Nazo, turn to your left and keep walking. We left a few trackers to mark our passing, which I’m sure you can follow. Happy hunting, and thank you once again for saving Jove. Any other things we can help you with? Information, supplies, medicine?”

WC: 1021
    PWC: 5937
    TWC: 9400

Lyra Karant
    Lyra Karant

Character Sheet

Post by Lyra Karant 10th April 2022, 4:35 am

Lyra Karant
    A Step Away From Sanity

Truth told, Lyra wasn't following along fairly well-- until the word primordials was mentioned. Now, this was a word she'd encountered once or twice in the past; she knew that there was 'primordial' magic, especially as far as some slayer magic was concerned. At that point, there were more than a few people out there with primordial magic. Was it related? Possibly. Lyra knew literally nothing about the existence of primordials or what the magic involved actually was, but the only thing that she could really mentally contribute to this particular exercise was the fact that primordials existed and that they were in fact a thing. She was, by her own admittance, way out of her league here. Everyone in this room was a scholar of some description, except her; she'd never attended higher education, she'd never really done any extensive travel or study. She was just a girl who was a homebody that was only in the last year or so learning how to use magic or even how to fight. Everything that was coming out here now was very much literally beyond her skill level. On some level she was okay with that. She knew her shortcomings, numerous as they were compared to everyone else that she encountered, and also knew that she had her own way of dealing with the issues in front of her. At this point, she was absolutely out of her depth, and was rather content to sit back and listen to everything that was being said around her. The rose quartz mage didn't exactly have much to say here, and that was that.

Until, of course, they mentioned the logistics of walking through the portal into Nazo and what that meant for the two adventurers. That wasn't terrifying at all. If everything was going to turn on its head, how well would magic work? That wasn't going to be a fun experience, if things didn't work the way the were supposed to. Lyra was going to have to do her best to keep her magic and her blade equally sharp inside a place where everything was going to go completely inside out, upside down and turned through on itself.

Finally, Lyra took that moment to speak up. This was what she could handle.

"In terms of medicine and supplies we should be fine, provided our magic holds up," Lyra finally chirped in, folding her hands in front of her and staring down at them as she tried to make sense of the whole situation around her. "I know that we can at least look after ourselves in that case."

The pink-haired mage cast a glance to the blonde seated near her, and then gave the assembled professors a firm nod. "I'm sure that doesn't sound entirely reassuring for you, but it is what it is. Without our magic, we likely wouldn't be doing much against a primordial anyway."

Professor Aurea pondered the information given to her, and then seemed to acquiesce to it regardless. "Very well. We wish you luck, and I hope you return safely."

At that point, Lyra pushed herself up out of her seat and neatly tucked it back under the table with a scraping noise echoing around the room. With intelligence not her strong suit, resolution needed to be her strongest weapon; the pure resolve required to push into the unknown with measure and confidence in equal parts was something that was going to need to be the best thing she could bring to the table. Barring raw power, she was going to need to bring that surety as best she could in order to keep herself ready and relevant to the trip they were going to undertake. It was a little bit of false bravado, sure, but Lyra also knew that in the face of the unknown she could not afford to be a coward.

"Right then. Shall we, Nita? The unknown awaits!"

TAG: @Fraag WORDS: 655 TOTAL: 10,055 JOB: Link
    MEL @ WW

#ffa9e0
    Fraag
    Fraag

Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Fraag 10th April 2022, 7:17 pm

It seemed the moment Nita had been dreading had come; there were no more people to be cured of madness, nor were there any more questions to be asked. It was time to enter Nazo and face whatever had opened that rift. It was Nita’s turn to be quiet, as Lyra concluded discussions with the academics, and the group of researchers from Bellum began to pack up what remained of their camp, in order to make their trip back to Earthland. As far as the academics were concerned, their work was done here. As far as the Luminous Rose mages were concerned, theirs was just beginning. Nita turned to Lyra as the latter asked her if they were set to proceed. Resolutely, the Pergrandian nodded, steeling her mind for what was to come. ”I’m ready. Let’s do this!” Hopefully, what they were meant to do would be simple. They just had to find the portal, and close it, and hopefully that would be all. While Nita was not one hundred percent sure how they would close the portal, from the way the researchers had spoken, said portal had very likely been recently opened. If it had been opened, then it could be closed.

Mustering all the courage she could (mostly because Lyra looked so brave and unperturbed, and the Pergrandian felt it would be quite shameful to be shivering and cringing while her friend seemed so intrepid), Nita walked up to the Nazo portal, and stepped through it. It was like all her senses perceived something at the same time: bright light, a ringing sound, a mild and transient full-body itch, a weird sallow taste bordering on sour, and an unknown but acrid smell reminiscent of combustion. She had absolutely no idea whether everyone who entered Nazo experienced the same thing, or whether this was a singular experience that she would not be guaranteed to have, were she to enter Nazo again. In any case, Nita didn’t believe this was documented in any information she had encountered which detailed information on this strange planet. So it was likely a singular, and possibly idiosyncratic event. She wouldn’t be surprised if Lyra probably sensed something entirely different, or sensed nothing at all. After all, the Bellian researchers had warned them that this planet seemed to defy all sorts of laws that they, as creatures from Earthland, were familiar with. Nita wasn’t even sure she could say that Nazo was on the same plane as Earthland. It was a curious thing to think about, though. If Nazo was on the same plane, how far away from Earthland was it?

As the Pergrandian looked around her, she noticed that the sky, for starters, seemed much farther away than Earthland’s skies seemed. Also, they seemed to subtly shimmer and change colors, though the mechanism governing that was a mystery to the blonde mage. As for whether it was day or night, it was impossible to say; the lighting was gentle and seemed to diffuse through and from everything in a surreal way. And there was no sun. ”Hey Lyra, did you perceive anything when you passed through the portal?” the Chosen of Arcanos asked, curious to know whether Lyra had had a similar experience when crossing into Nazo. After getting her partner’s answer, Nita turned and looked to her left. ”The Bellian think tanks said we should move to our left when we got in, so let’s start going.” They had not walked very far, when Nita saw a little blue rune painted on a stone. She pointed it out to Lyra. ”We’re on the right track, I suppose. We were told to look out for trackers, and this is most likely one of them.”

As they walked, there was a dull boom, and the earth vibrated. Nita looked up, then gasped and pointed. Far away in the distance were two giants. They were obviously many miles away, but they were still large enough to be seen. One lifted a huge rock from the ground; if Nita could extrapolate sizes from that distance, the rock was probably as big, maybe even bigger, than the Luminous Rose main building. The second giant pointed, and the first, who carried the rock, flung it in the direction that was pointed, almost as effortlessly as a human would throw an egg. The rock smashed into a glinting object, and the giants threw up their hands as the earth shook gently. ”Are they playing a game?” Nita asked in surprise. In the distance (perhaps not too far away, according to the giants’ estimates), a strange spire made of crystals suddenly shot up out of the ground, forming a gigantic needle which pointed to the heavens, scintillating in the diffuse light. One of the giants pointed at it, and the other picked a hill and lobbed it at the crystal. The gigantic rock struck its target, and the two mages would feel the shockwave, as the two giants seemed to celebrate the hit. ”Okay, let’s be sure to avoid any giant crystal things,” Nita said with a nervous laugh, as she began walking again.

They had not walked up to thirty minutes, with the giants still playing their game in the distance, when the two would see what looked like a tear hanging in thin air, black darkness beyond the tear. Beside the tear were two very strange creatures. They looked like hyenas, but they were a pale greenish blue, and they had scales instead of fur. Oh, and their heads were massive. The strange animals saw them, and bared their fangs. Almost immediately, the two mages would hear a flurry of words, like many beings all around them whispering, although it was only the two hyena things in the immediate area. Then the voices coalesced into a malicious whisper, which seemed to sound like many ghosts whispering the same thing at the same time. ”The sacrifice comes. But the sacrifice did not come alone. Turn back, pink-furred one. Turn back! Turn back!! Turn baaacccckkkkk!!!” And with that, they rose and began creeping towards the two mages, black spittle dripping from their fangs. Nita gulped and drew a card. Well, it was going to be a battle.

WC: 1036
    PWC: 6983
    TWC: 11091

@Lyra Karant

Lyra Karant
    Lyra Karant

Character Sheet

Post by Lyra Karant 15th April 2022, 4:28 pm

Lyra Karant
    A Step Away From Sanity

The fact that Lyra was successfully putting on a brave front showed, really, that she could do anything she wanted to. Inside, Lyra was absolutely karking terrified of literally everything that was about to happen here, but the sheer truth of it was that she could scarce afford to be afraid of whatever was about to come their way. This place was terrifying just to consider, and Lyra had yet to even really step through the gateway to a distant world.

Nita went first and, in a moment of pure force of will, Lyra followed a moment later. The perception of reality that followed shifted dramatically, though not as a directly tangible result; everything here just seemed... off, somehow. Like the laws of nature that she was accustomed to had warped into something ever so slightly off-centre. Light, gravity, time, space, sound - all of it seemed muted and distant, like her understanding of it was no longer applicable. Which, in reality, was actually a rather good way of looking at it. Her understanding of the laws of nature had changed.

"It felt like everything just sort of took a step to the left. Like it's all there, just... not where it should be," Lyra replied, breathlessly; she was still trying to catch up to the fact that now that she was actually putting effort into understanding how things worked, even her body was starting to feel a little different here. That was to be expected, though, right? Nothing here was normal, not at all. It couldn't be. However, Nita had them starting off, and dutifully Lyra would follow along; the blonde mage had the right of it when her want to continue pushing on shone through and they simply needed to proceed. She was quiet, for the most part. Everything here needed a lot of thought process to actually process correctly, and Lyra was struggling rather hard with that necessity. Her brain, as much as she joked it was smaller than everyone else's, really wasn't up to this task just yet. Her understanding of the world wasn't keen enough to know where it needed to go to wrap her knowledge around this.

Oh, hey, different world.

The voice in the back of Lyra's head actually managed to speak up as the portals between words shuddered their way into existence, which caught Lyra absolutely off-guard. At this point in her career in magic, Rhett had remained silent for weeks at a time; the disembodied spirit that was soul-linked to hers had managed to find a way to go into a state of dormancy, which allowed him to not need to really focus on the passing of time and, frankly, a thirty-something year old man living in a twenty-something year old girl's body was still a little strange for the both of them to be adjusting to. However, given the compromise that had happened, this was nice. Whatever had triggered his awakening seemed to be the transposition of worlds, and that was enough to wake the experienced fire shaper from his effective months-long nap. Sometimes it was nice to have additional company, and the real hard truth of that was that the vast majority of the progress she'd made in building her courage up to even be able to step through the portal today the way she had was largely because of his initial training into her development, and then from there the world that the Faulkner sisters-- particularly Jamie-- had put into her from there.

Rhett! I thought you were asleep.

I was, kiddo. What kind of messed up hellscape of the laws of physics is this, exactly?

The sudden whisper of voices in the air broke the mental reverie that Lyra found herself in speaking with her soul-linked companion; immediately, she could see that the two beasts in front of them were not up to any standard that she knew. But she had fought plenty of beasts in her adventures thus far; even when things were not normal here she could surely fight them with a combination of her blossoming skills and the magic she found surety in. Could she? Likely, yes. They were abnormal by Earthland standards, yet Lyra knew that she had the willpower to stand and fight them no matter their twisted visage or the restrictions that this land placed upon them.

I don't know. But we'll find out in a second when I try to deal with this.

Slowly, the rose quartz mage exhaled, and then conjured her equipment to her body; shimmering as pink crystal, the cryst-blade formed to her fingers as she raised her hand to the air, the crimson battle plate of the Steel Rose forming around her body as tightly-knit as her skin itself. In that instant, the reflective shield of the armour crackled to life, crystals forming around Lyra for a split second shimmering a brilliant pink before fading away, such that Lyra would be well-protected from any and all incoming attacks. She was, at heart, not at all really a fighter. She was there to heal and support her allies and keep them alive. However, as a direct result of that, Lyra found herself as a wonderful front-line defender of her allies, staunch and steadfast; whenever she found that she was in the thick of battle she kept her enemies absolutely unable to pierce her defences and as a result she was perfect to draw the attention of the foe and allow her allies the unmitigated ability to rain hell down on whatever target they so chose. This would be Lyra's time to really put all of her learnings to the test, particularly since the last time she had actually fought someone was at the highest point of the world where she had fought queen Stellamaria Diamantis at the behest of the Guildmistress and come out victorious.

This would be a wonderful challenge to her newfound abilities. Another breath out to steady herself. She found that such tempered courage did not come easy, and Lyra was only now finding the means with which to ensure that she could fight the battles that she needed to.  Despite the echoing oddities of the voices that plagued the air, Lyra found herself calm enough to engage. It was a really weird voice, that was for sure. Fanged beasts prowling towards them was never a good sign, and Lyra would meet that poor omen with her sheer mental resolve. It was all she had left to her now.

"Allow me to take the fight to the enemy," she said, the pink crystal rapier she had conjured to her fingers tracing a line through the air as she stared down her two foes, before two pairs of pink crystal wings sprouted from her shoulder-blades and the small of her back seamlessly through her armour. "You do what you do best - I'll draw their attention."

Then, raising the basket hilt of her crystal sword to her face, pointing the tip at the enemy, Lyra breathed out then allowed herself to give the blessing touch of wind to both herself and Nita, where they would feel both their alacrity and magical power increase sharply - then she was off at lightning speed a moment later, leading with the lancing point of the rapier. Resolution, as means of necessity, was one of Lyra's great abilities - she found herself in her enemy's face only a second later, prepared to take lashing claw and tail as these monsters struck her, but she would be there, blade swinging through the air as she thrust upon its pure weight into the chest of one beast. Crystal steel met flesh and rent it open, but it was not crimson ichor that poured from the wound; it was something odd, almost black, oozing forth unlike anything Lyra had ever seen before. Now, however, she was committed to the front, and with their attention squarely on her it would give her friend the time that she needed to do... whatever she did.

Unhesitatingly, like a poor fool, Lyra had marched herself straight into the jaws of hell.

TAG: @Fraag WORDS: 1,356 TOTAL: 12,447 JOB: Link
    MEL @ WW

#ffa9e0
    Fraag
    Fraag

Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Fraag 16th April 2022, 9:04 pm

Frankly, Nita was doing all she possibly could to maintain a straight face and not flee screaming at the sight of the two giant-headed hyena things. She thought it was embarrassing, being freaked out by creatures with giant heads, but it could not be helped; her experience with the Primordial in the past had left a lasting effect on her mind. Still, she had to maintain decorum in this situation; even if Lyra would not laugh at her (and given the disposition of the pink-haired mage, it was very unlikely that the Luminous Rose Ace would ridicule her for running away from the giant-headed monstrosities), the Pergrandian was not sure she would be able to forgive herself quickly, if she gave in to her fear at a time like this. Nita decided to consider this as training. Seeing as she would probably find herself in various situations in which she would be genuinely scared, thanks to her role and status as light mage extraordinaire and the Chosen of Arcanos (she still had no idea what it entailed, except the feeling that there was a rather large and real responsibility attached), she had to understand how to manage her fear. And as the maestros said, there was no better practice than the doing of a thing.

As her partner’s arms and armaments began to appear, Nita realized that Lyra was already prepping herself for combat. That was enough to snap her out of the mild daze that had come with the fear of the strange creatures. Silently thanking her fellow guild mate for agreeing to come with her, Nita rubbed her thumb lightly against the face of the card that she had summoned, as she prepared herself as well to engage. There would be fear, but it would be mastered. That, after all, was the true definition of courage. The absence of fear meant only one of two things: omnipotence (which thankfully no existing creature actually possessed), or an uncanny lack of the mental acuity to discern danger when one came across it. In simpler language, it could be called stupidity. She nodded at Lyra as the latter offered to lead the charge into the fray. ”While I have a few things I’m pretty good at, fighting zombie fish hyena things is probably not one of them, hon,” she replied, cracking a smile. ”But don’t worry. If you’re charging in, I won’t be idle. I’ll make sure that they’ll have a lot of work to do.”

The pink-haired mage exhaled, and a silent spell was cast; Nita sensed it by the subtle change of the air pressure around her, and the invigoration she felt almost immediately afterwards. And then Lyra launched herself airborne at the enemy, the Luminous Rose Ace practically converting herself into a spear, as she hurtled through the air, her graceful but deadly weapon pointed out, aimed at the heart of the first foe. Nita would probably have to ask Lyra what the weapon was made of later, and even examine it if she had the space and time to do so. But for now, there was a battle to be fought. One problem of a quick and devastating offense was that while it was great for taking a foe by surprise, it could very easily leave its instigator prone to a counterattack from another opponent. Seeing as the two hyenas were not very far apart when the battle commenced, it was very likely that this was going to be the case, even as the first hyena made a strange reverberating cry as Lyra’s stabbing attack hit home, shedding the monster’s atramentous gore.

Unhesitatingly, like a poor fool, Lyra had marched herself straight into the jaws of hell. But one was no fool who had a true friend to keep watch for them. And even as Lyra had so selflessly agreed to join Nita on whatever quest was to be pursued, and face whatever trials and dangers were to be met, so Nita was obliged to ensure that the snapping jaws of hell would not close until her friend had worked whatever woe she intended in the infernal gullet, and escaped back to light and life without incident. Which was why as the hyena monster, flanking its skewered companion, opened its ugly maw to attempt to rend the thrusting mage, Nita flung the card in her hand, the black device flying swiftly to lodge between the teeth of the lunging monster. ”Wild Card: Bezique!” There was a dull boom as the card detonated with enough force to create a crater in the earth beneath, although Lyra would discover that the card’s explosion did not harm her in any way. The hyena monster was not so lucky, nor was its friend which was dying at the point of Lyra’s rapier.

The explosion took the attacking hyena’s head clean off, and sent its mangled body flying like a rag doll to plop lifelessly a good distance away. The stabbed hyena was sent flying as well, its body twisting into a position that would be rather fatal for an average quadruped. It crashed into the ground and remained permanently still. ”Well,” Nita said happily, ”that was an interesting spell. Now, before any other monstrosity comes out of that portal, let’s find a way to--”

The words were not full out of Nita’s mouth, when a hand with spindly fingers jammed through the crack in space. Slowly, as though with great effort, another creature pulled itself out of the crack. Nita moved to attack it as it tried to emerge, but realized to her shock that she was moving rather slowly, too slowly, as though time had been almost paused. Lyra would discover a similar drop in motion speed, as the creature bought itself time to escape from the dimensional rift. It was humanoid, although it had the body of an extremely emaciated man. Its head, however, was bigger than its body, and seemed to float, with its body dangling from the gigantic head. Its eyes and mouth were closed, but then it folded its legs as though in meditation, as it opened these apertures, a strange and rather unsettling light flooding out. And Lyra would find herself floating in the vast darkness of space. Nita was nowhere to be found. But it was all just an illusion, as this strange creature sought to pull personas of influence from its victims’ psyches, in order to confuse and frighten their minds into staying within its illusion, as said illusory personages would only appear to decry all the choices Lyra had made, right from her earliest memories up till now, with her choice to follow her guild mate being the most foolish of them all.

And unknown to Lyra, Nita was in a similar private mental space of her own, as phantoms from her past began to coalesce, in order to berate her for her apparent lack of judgment, and the foolishness of her decisions.

WC: 1161
    PWC: 8144
    TWC: 13608

@Lyra Karant

Lyra Karant
    Lyra Karant

Character Sheet

Post by Lyra Karant 17th April 2022, 5:44 pm

Lyra Karant
    A Step Away From Sanity

As soon as Lyra had made full contact with the flesh of the beast that she had charged, the spear-pointed rapier penetrating into the beast, she knew she was going to be in for a following world of hurt. Engaging the enemy at such short distance typically meant that their attacks would simply be focused on her, and this was something she knew she had realised as Lyra's eyes widened upon contact with the foe. She was now so close to these beasts their oversized maws were visible, with rows of decaying teeth coated in dripping, venomous spittle; these fearsome monsters were now directly in her face and entirely likely to poison her lest she move incorrectly through all of this insanity. Lyra knew that combat was real, was extant, was reactive and treacherous. She was not here to mess around. She knew that it was pure muscle memory at this point that was going to carry her through this engagement with these monsters. As she locked eyes with one of these beasts, the selfsame one that she had plunged her blade into, she narrowed her eyes in a moment of pure focus, hand sliding to the front of her basket hilt so that her wrist locked with the beautiful bronze decoration, and with a mighty pull of both hands extracted the crystalline blade from the festering wound that she had caused with that bespoke and beautiful creation of her elf-friend. As the blade slid free of the beast, its pained roar was sufficient to shake her eardrums such that she cringed away from it, but not once did she truly shy away from the dread monster that was before her.

Instead, she noticed something flickering past the edge of her peripheral vision; it was something small and almost imperceptible. It had to be that card that Nita pulled moments before Lyra took off in her crazed, offensive flight. It left the monsters little time to react before the card itself detonated in a beautiful display of light, sound and concussive force; it was almost as if the explosion that the card caused wrapped the rose quartz mage in its warmth before it sent both of the foes that they had faced flying without a second care. Truly, this was a display of Nita's powers that Lyra simply couldn't overlook; she was strong. Strong in ways that Lyra could not hope to match, for she was a healer and a supporter and never a fighter, despite the way she took off to engage her foes. The blade she wielded was nowhere near as powerful as others and, in this particular case, simply gave her the ability to engage an enemy at the full strength of a lesser mage. She had sacrificed much of her offensive capability to be one of the greatest healers and protectors that she could have managed. In this particular case, her want to rush headlong in and draw the aggravation of the enemy was what Lyra did best. They had absolutely been distracted by the glowing pink girl that had charged right in to fight them and that was the exact effect that Lyra had hoped for. This was something that she was going to be able to do.

Then, tossed aside as useless, lifeless corpses, the two hyena monsters were sent absolutely flying by Nita's perfect creation. Their bodies tumbled through the air, limbs splaying in every direction, before they hit what passed for the ground in this strange dimension. And, that was that. They'd been sufficiently distracted, and then taken out of the equation. Lyra knew that a lot of mage fights tended to be quick and showy and deadly. This was no exception that the rule, for all things considered, this wasn't going to be something they held on to. Lyra knew damn well that this was a messy sort of episode.

By the time the blonde had caught up to the pink haired girl, Lyra was exhaling and wiping the ichor off the blade; sword maintenance was something she'd had drilled into her since the day she'd picked up this beauteous creation. Before she could even respond to the words that were coming out of Nita's mouth, the very delicate perception of reality that she already had was starting to unravel before her very eyes. White, spindly fingers protruded from an extrusion of space, and the strangely-proportioned monstrosity of a man began to wail and flood the dimension with light as it caused innumerable tears in space-time to disorient the two women who had come through in order to see what precisely was happening here. But that was the thing. Lyra couldn't see. There was nothing here but inky blackness now that things had shifted once more for her, and the odd feeling that a flood of light was encroaching upon the outer edges of her senses. It was almost as if the light that she had been perceiving was now no longer in existence, but simply a thing to see and know at the edge of space and time.

She opened her mouth to speak, to scream, but nothing could come out. The vibration of her tongue inside her mouth was certainly moving, that much she knew - but nothing seemed to happen when she willed it to do so. Her body, sluggish and attempting to respond, was not working as intended. This was not the way of the world. This was not something that she knew how to break free from. And while her strong-willed persona was powerful enough - it was nothing when faced with the deepest, most deep seated fears of her psyche.

At that mere mention of a thought, a low hum began to play in the back of her mind, followed by a hiss that rose in timbre. The sensation of something crawling across her skin, something slithering and scaly, began to play with it too, so much that the sensation began as one trail that ran up her arm, then a second joining it that trailed its way up her leg, and then both began to constrict. She knew what these were. Snakes. She loathed snakes. So much. She couldn't stand the way their scales felt cold and she was terrified of being bitted and god they were just so creepy-- and here they were, messing with her head, knowing full well that the tightening sensation could crawl up towards her throat and choke the life out of her at any given moment in time.

Lyra Karant wished she could scream, but there was nothing for her to scream to, and none to hear.

TAG: @Fraag WORDS: 1,109 TOTAL: 14,716 JOB: Link
    MEL @ WW

#ffa9e0
    Fraag
    Fraag

Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Fraag 17th April 2022, 9:12 pm

For what seemed like an eternity, Nita could only hear a strange ringing sound that seemed to be ringing right inside her brain. None of her other senses seemed to be working, for she could perceive nothing except the sound. Even when she tried to cover her ears, the sound remained unabated. But then again, Nita could not tell whether she had succeeded in the attempt to cover her ears, as she could not determine whether she had even moved her hands. She could feel nothing, after all. She just knew she existed, and that the horrendous ringing sound was there. The Pergrandian began focusing as much of her willpower as she could, and very soon, the world seemed to come into a blur, as though she was waking up from a heavy and drugged sleep. Good, that meant her faculties were returning. She could still feel nothing, and had no idea of her physical orientation; whether she was lying down, or standing, or doing something else entirely. She decided to assume she was lying down, since it was nigh impossible for a human body to remain standing for long while losing consciousness. But where she lay, she could not tell.

The noise slowly began to fade away, to the young Pergrandian’s relief. As it faded, she felt herself gaining control of her senses. She seemed to be in a bright room; she was lying down, but she could not tell what she was lying on. It was firm, but not uncomfortably hard. Nita tried to look around, but the world seemed to start revolving at high speed. So she closed her eyes again and waited until she felt the world was no longer swimming, and then opened her eyes once more. She seemed to be lying down in a roomy hall with a rather high domed ceiling. Perhaps some sort of chapel or shrine. She sat up and looked around. She was alone. She seemed to be lying on a bed of sandstone, and there seemed to be other similar beds, but none of them was occupied. At the far end of the hall was a door. Nita rose to her feet and began to walk towards the door. There was little to interest her in the room, because it was bare, apart from the sandstone beds, and even these did not have any other features aside the fact that they were raised from the earth.

As Nita approached the door, another door in the side of the hall opened, and hooded figures began to walk in. That was strange; she had not seen that other door when she had looked around. The figures moved until they had positioned themselves at the hall’s perimeter, each person roughly equidistant from the other. Then they began to approach the center of the hall at the same time, as Nita realized that she was standing presently in the center of the hall, and the hooded figures were approaching her from every side. This looked like a dangerous situation, as she could not tell whom these mysterious figures were, and being in such a strange place, she simply had to assume that these were potential hostiles. She gathered her magical energies to summon a card, but realized to her shock and dismay, that there was absolutely no magic to be called on here. She was an absolutely normal human, just like how she was back then in Pergrande, long before she had met the Primordial with whom she had bonded. And even though she had not been born with magic, Nita could not explain why, as she stood there with no magic, as she was normally supposed to be, she felt empty. Still, this did not halt the approaching figures, and Nita held up her hands as she took a fighting stance.

”I never thought a child of mine would be so belligerent,” a strangely familiar voice spoke from one of the hooded figures. As the figure pulled back the hood, Nita found herself staring into the eyes of her father, who had died all those years ago in Pergrande. She rushed to him and embraced him joyfully, but he did not reciprocate the gesture. ”What’s wrong, father?” Nita asked, worried. ”Are you not happy to see me?”

”No one can be happy with a failure of a child,” the man replied. Nita recoiled, stung by his words. ”Your words are painful to bear, father. If I failed, it is not because I strayed from the path you set before me.” The man shook his head. ”I raised my children to desire peace. If you did not stray, why did you join the army?” That was unfair. Pergrande’s military was the important facet of the nation, and Nita’s joining the army had been in order to try to get to a vantage position, from which she could try to broker for peace. Yet even as Nita opened her mouth to explain herself, another familiar voice cut her off. Her mother’s. ”Still arguing with your father. You never listened to instructions. You only ever did what pleased you,” the woman said, drawing back her hood. ”Wait, if both of you are here, what does this mean? Am I… dead?” Nita asked, fear gripping her heart. ”Yes,” came another familiar voice, ”and because of you, so am I. I should never have agreed to join you on your ill-fated mission.” Nita let out a cry of pain, as she saw the third person. It was none other than Lyra Karant. ”I sacrificed my time and self to aid you, and you couldn’t protect me when it mattered.”

Nita was about to speak again, but another voice cut in. ”You were always selfish, thinking about only yourself and your wants. If you had really cared about your guild mate, you would not have involved her in your mission. It was yours alone to deal with, but you’re so weak, you always call on others to clean up your mess, and the results are never optimal.” Nita could only mouth a ‘no’, as the fourth figure drew back her hood, revealing the face of Terumi, her best friend. But Terumi was alive; Nita was sure of that. As though reading Nita’s mind, the green-haired mage continued speaking. ”I’m sure you’re wondering why I’m here, right? Well, it’s because of you! Everyone you form bonds with is cursed. Everyone! I knew this shortly before my demise.” Nita began to weep. There was nothing else she could do. Even though she could not understand why the closest ones to her considered her guilty of wrong, something in her mind insisted that they were right.

”You cannot stay here with us,” her father said, grabbing her arm. The doors at the end of the chapel suddenly swung open to reveal a pitch black darkness, so black that it elicited an irrational fear in the Pergrandian. ”Please, not there,” she cried, trying to pull away, but she could not, as all the figures laid hands on her and began dragging the sobbing and pleading girl to the doors. ”You will be tossed out of these doors, into the eternal night, where you shall wander alone forever,” her mother was saying. Suddenly, the air seemed to bulge, as though what was before them was not empty space, but cleverly pasted wallpaper, and something or someone was behind the wallpaper. Then it tore, and Nita saw herself step through the strange tear in space-time. She stared in surprise at herself, who stared back at her, an impassive expression on the other’s face, as the hooded ones left Nita, snarling at this interruption.

”Maria?” Nita asked in surprise.

”In the flesh,” came the reply. ”And you’re not even running to hug me,” her other consciousness replied in a mock disappointed tone. ”Young girls of nowadays. Tch. Anyways--” Maria turned her attention to the hooded figures, ”don’t you people have anything better to do with your time?”  So saying, she suddenly grabbed Nita, and flung her through the strange tear in space…

…and Nita snapped back to consciousness, seeing the strange malformed figure floating in the air before her. Summoning her M.A.D.A.M. guns, she pointed both firearms at the creature and pulled the trigger, even as it turned to face her with a strangled croak.

”DIE!!!”

The blasts tore through its head, and the creature instantly deflated, as its illusions faded out with its demise. Nita ran over to her friend and held her. ”Lyra! Talk to me, Lyra! Are you alright?”

WC: 1427
    PWC: 9571
    TWC: 16143

Lyra Karant
    Lyra Karant

Character Sheet

Post by Lyra Karant 19th April 2022, 3:01 pm

Lyra Karant
    A Step Away From Sanity

If anyone wanted to destroy Lyra Karant's mind, they only had to do a couple of simple things to ensure that happened: first, ostracise her from the companionship of others; second, leave her alone in a dark room; third, throw some snakes and/or spiders at her and let her fester in that dark pit. In short, whoever was doing this to Lyra was doing a wonderful job of breaking her down slowly. They had removed Nita from the equation of her perception, had left her in a place where light was little more than an afterthought, and now her mind was showing her the snakes that were wrapping around her, and also beginning to constrict around her body. In short, they had nailed this particular task in order to break her. Perhaps whatever monstrosity they were fighting simply had the ability to reach into the psyche of their hapless victim, extract that which they knew would work, and just do that - and here they were. Even Nita was only a secondary thought to Lyra at this point when the life seemed to be drained out of her slowly, painfully and in the one way she was really hoping wouldn't happen: being choked to death by snakes. What an oddly specific way to go, but hey, no fear ever needed to be rational.

What really began to get her was the deafening silence. There was no perception of sound here; as she screamed earlier, no sound came out, but worse yet was the fact that she couldn't hear the movement of the snakes or even the movement in her own body. Sure, she could feel the rush of blood to her lower extremities as the snake began to tighten its vice grip, but it was the same way one felt a bass drum vibrate through the rib cage, and not the thrum that accompanied it. That kind of silence was torture, and Lyra suddenly understood exactly why sensory deprivation could be considered a form of torture when it was not asked for. This was starting to drive her insane. She could certainly feel like her grip on what was left of reality was starting to slip away from her; with no light, no sound, and no real recourse for her body to resist the one thing she was terrified of coming after her, she knew she couldn't really resist this end. Was this how she was going to die? Mentally shocked into paralysis, unable to fight her worst fear?

The tears began to well in her eyes, and she could not find it in her heart to accept death. The voice in her heard told her to resist, but she simply could not fight away the end.

"And yet, you accepted mine," a voice echoed inside her mind. She did not hear this voice; no, it was a projection the same way Rhett spoke to her. This was something that was shimmering to life in front of her, a reflection of a blonde-haired main around her height and with sharp, boyish looks. He was dressed in a Ca-Elian naval uniform and stood there with his hands in his pockets, staring directly at her. She knew that face. She knew it so perfectly well. And yet, she couldn't believe what she was seeing. This was her older brother, Albion - she never, ever talked about him, for the shame that accompanied the memories of his life were too much for her to bear. She'd never even spoken about Albion to Jamie, Mysie or Blair; no person that was actively in her life at this point knew of the previous existence of the brother she had lost.  

"You have never forgiven yourself for your inaction, have you, little sister?" he chided, staring her down as the beasts that surrounded her clamped down upon her yet again, chastising her silently for her failures. "You could have saved me. Your cowardice killed me. My blood is on your hands."

Which was true. The sailor had been home from deployment for some time and, as the family was wont to do, they went on a holiday; the two siblings were off on a drive, having learned how to do so whilst in the Ca-Elian navy. However, when someone else hit the car's rear left quarter, which sent it careening over the side of a cliff - and the impact was sufficient to critically injure the other driver as it was - the car rolled, and left both Lyra and Albion seriously injured as well. By the time Lyra's senses came to, she saw three things: blood, destruction, and the half-mangled body of her brother. She was barely able to crawl her own way out of that car, trying as best she could to cling on to life - but she did not have the strength or willpower to move her brother's body, try as she might to get in there and reclaim him. Her fear struck her, and the exhaustion set in - she she lay there, barely with the strength to will her body to move. Perhaps if she was physically stronger, she could have acted. Without any first aid, he had passed away. And she had always cursed her inaction. As far as Lyra was concerned, being unable to get to Albion had killed him. Without her help-- and she could have helped, if she got to him-- he had died. That blood was on her hands, for sure, as far as her psyche was concerned. She had never freed herself of the mental prison that was self-loathing, unable to forgive herself for the loss of her bother. Sure, everyone else saw it the logical way: he'd died on impact when they hit the ground. But Lyra knew that there was something she might have been able to have done, and now, that memory haunted her forever. It was this that drove her to heal and protect. She never, ever wanted to repeat the nightmare that she could never shake from her mind, no matter how much it plagued her.

The tears began to flow. Once again, chastising her for her failure, she could not shake off that which attacked her.

In fact, it wasn't until Nita yelled into her ear that the darkness began to lift from her - like it was nothing, the veil of secrecy lifted, and reality snapped back into existence like it had never been missing in the first place. Lyra, by contrast, was shaken - ghostly white and pale, the tears very real, and with Nita wrapped around her, she was stunned into perfect silence. While nothing was choking down on her throat, she still was too shocked to move. Her mind struggled to process the weight and feel of her body, the way everything seemed to be semi-normal once again-- or what passed for normal in this particular dimension anyway-- and she simply seemed like a husk, a fragment of her normal, joyous, vibrant self.

She just stood there, unmoving, barely blinking, trying her best not to sob openly. Unlike Nita, she had not conquered her mind - it had bested her.

TAG: @Fraag WORDS: 1,197 TOTAL: 17,340 JOB: Link
    MEL @ WW

#ffa9e0
    Fraag
    Fraag

Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Fraag 19th April 2022, 6:39 pm

As Nita held her fellow guild member, she was momentarily gripped by fear, as she stared into the vacant eyes of the Luminous Rose ace. Truly, she had expected that there would be danger to be had on this mission, but she had never expected it to this level. And even though she thought she had some experience with fighting Primordials, the Pergrandian maiden was quite certain that nothing could ever prepare anyone for the sort of maddening encounter they had just gone through. As her original name, Fortunita, suggested, she seemed to have been blessed with an uncanny amount of good luck, having never experienced the true power of a Primordial’s madness inducing auras until today. Because back then in her homeland, where she had absorbed the entity that had now evolved into Maria, the same one that had saved her from her own present terrors, Nita had only just begun to experience the Primordial miasma, before her assailant was attacked, and everything took an unexpected turn. It was quite ironic that she would be saved by what had been a Primordial. But while there was adequate reason to understand Maria’s motives for coming to her rescue (because if she died or came to any unpleasant state, Maria would share her woes with her), the Pergrandian whispered a silent ‘thank you’ to the gloating being in her mind. Since she could sense Maria’s emotions and vice versa, she knew that although Maria was gloating to appear emotionally detached from the situation, the deity was pleased, and relieved.

Nita herself gained a little reprieve from her fears, as she saw Lyra’s eyes seem to move slightly, as though she was slowly waking up from her trance. But Nita was still worried about how her friend had fared. Lyra had no back-up plan in her head like Maria, at least not to Nita’s knowledge, and the blonde mage had no idea what her colleague had suffered in her mind. It had been enough to cause tears to flow, at any rate, as she had not been granted as early a relief as Nita had been from her mental anguish. The mind was indeed a powerful thing; if someone did not realize they had developed an injury, they would keep on moving the injured part of their body like it was whole. Conversely, if the mind was utterly convinced that the body that housed it was injured, it was certain that the body would reflect this, no matter how hale said body had been before its mind’s assumption of sickness. For now, her friend was the priority; Nita had to ensure that she was well and stable mentally, although she had no immediate idea how she would heal a mental ailment such as this. ”I got you, hon, you’re safe, you’re safe…” Nita cooed reassuringly in Lyra’s ear as she pulled her guild mate into a tight hug. The first thing she had to do was make sure that Lyra developed a sense of security. Both mind and body recuperated quicker when someone was sure that they were safe. ”Breathe deeply, Lyra. You’ll be fine.”

”Oh, but we both know that she will not be fine,” came a voice that seemed to freeze the soul, as the pressure seemed to drop. Something else was coming out of the rift which the hyena monsters had been guarding. In form, it was similar to the horror that had placed the two mages in the mind-destroying illusions, except that it was bedecked in a robe and gold jewelry, and its unsightly head bore a crown. ”And you know, you could have avoided this by coming alone.” The creature’s comparatively small body dangled from its head, considerably diminishing what majesty its robed and bejeweled form had hoped to elicit. But there was no doubting it: this was definitely what was responsible for the rift, and probably Bertrand’s illness. ”You knew of the weakness of the human mind, and yet you still brought this poor child to suffer, because you are selfish and a coward.” The creature laughed. ”And now, you, and your friend shall die. But if you surrender, I can promise that your deaths will be swift and painless.” The air around them began to darken.

If there was anything Nita knew from her experience with Primordials, it was that they were so disdainful of other species that they showed neither mercy nor respect, no consideration of any kind when dealing with these ‘lesser creatures’. That this one seemed to be bargaining, even if the terms were rather unpleasant, meant that perhaps there was still an advantage that Nita had not yet noticed.  ”Clever girl,” Maria said in the Pergrandian’s head. ”If this thing thought it could kill you presently, it would have simply tried without speaking to you. You have an advantage somewhere. Find it!” Without releasing her grip on Lyra, Nita intoned a quick prayer, and a bright golden tower sprang up around herself and Lyra. The darkness seemed to solidify and crashed against the tower, but the tower held; it was after all, one of Nita’s strongest spells, specially bestowed on her by the power of her patron deity. The darkness seemed to draw back a moment, then charged again in furious assault on the golden tower, but still the tower remained steadfast. Nita knew that the tower would not remain forever, but she hoped Lyra would recover before that happened.

And she also needed to figure out her advantage. If the attacking Primordial feared her, it would probably not have showed its face, so it wasn’t her that was the trump card. The only other present variable was Lyra. All of a sudden it clicked: Lyra was her advantage. That had been why the hyena monsters had specifically said the ‘pink-furred’ one should turn back. It all made sense now. At present, Lyra was immobilized and unable to fight. This was why the Primordial had come to push its advantage. Hopefully, the immobilization was not permanent; if it was, the Primordial would just have attacked on coming out. But not knowing when Lyra would snap out of her daze, it had tried to make Nita surrender, and then it would have quickly killed her guild mate without a fight if she did. Now it was trying to get to her before her friend recovered. Nita would not let that happen. She would hold out until Lyra came to. She had to.

”Come on, Lyra. Wake up. I’m sure you can hear me. Follow my voice. Come to me.”

WC: 1097
    PWC: 10668
    TWC: 18437

@Lyra Karant

Last edited by Fraag on 22nd April 2022, 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lyra Karant
    Lyra Karant

Character Sheet

Post by Lyra Karant 20th April 2022, 3:45 pm

Lyra Karant
    A Step Away From Sanity

Is this a bad time to mention I saw everything? Probably wasn't meant to, but you've done a real good job suppressing that thought for a long time. Rhett's voice in the back of Lyra's mind rang clearly. At this point, she wasn't sure if the soul-joined man was yet another thing presented by the invasion to her psyche, or if it was actually him. There was no real way to tell, right? He was, after all, just a voice in the back of her head. Just like everything else that she'd encountered in that time period, there was no actual ability on Lyra's part to discern truth from lie.

Except there is, I can hear your internal monologue, and you're being dumb. Hold on.

In the next instant, her finger twitched like it was having a spasm; it was absolutely random and uncontrolled to an outside observer, somethign that just kind of happened - but both shaper and slayer knew precisely what had happened in that moment, and Lyra wasn't going to argue with results.

Okay. You win, Rhett. What now?

There was a world of deafening silence on Lyra's part, inside her mind. She couldn't hear anything, especially considering the fact that she thought she was awake - but nothing seemed to be moving; it was like time was standing still for her in a way that she couldn't quite perceive. It meant that whatever was having its way with her mind was clearly winning and far stronger than she could have ever hoped, but there surely had to be a way that they could handle the problem that was in front of them. Surely. Right?

Move over, kiddo. I have control.

It was at that precise moment two things happened simultaneously. First, she could feel that her ability to process thing was being pushed aside, as Rhett himself took partial control of her body; this was something that only ever happened in absolutely extreme circumstances, because a thirty-something year old man did not wish to control a twenty-something year old girl's body given the impropriety that it carried as an implication. This was definitely an extreme circumstance for this to be happening, however. Second, there was a voice - and as Rhett took control off her, she knew precisely what was happening.

The sound of Nita's voice rang in her mind presently, like the clarion call of something that was from the deep - but it was enough to snap her with its timing out of her reverie. Emerald eyes opened as she stirred from the daze she was in, finally blinking; struggle though it was to see through water-filled eyes, Lyra gave it her absolute all as she looked through the lens of someone whose sadness had overwhelmed them. It was not a pretty sight, but she was here, present and in the moment. The first thing she noticed, other than the blonde herself, was the golden tower that shielded them both from outside influence, one that rose towards the sky and spoke of the protection from whatever manner of monstrosity was attempting to encroach upon them. Had successfully encroached, rather, if the way that this situation had played out was to be believed. Truthfully, Lyra could still scarce believe that she had been impacted so powerfully, and that was only the tip of the iceberg; her mind was been broken into like it was absolute child's play. Whatever warning Nita had originally given about the Primordials was most certainly accurate, if that was the creature that had attacked - they were so strong that Lyra would not have fancied Nita's chances of doing this alone, and despite her reaction she was glad to be here in this strange world with her fellow guild-mate. Nobody should have ever had to have faced this monstrosity on their own.

"I'm here," she finally breathed, and let all the weight of the world slide off her shoulders as the exhale crossed her lips. Rhett, silently, sidled past the conscious world of her mind, restoring full control to the pink-haired girl who needed to be here in that moment, so that she could deal with the situation. The man who lived in the back of her head was not here to be used as a crutch, but when he was needed, he acted. "I'm here."

It was a mantra, meant to convince herself more than it was to tell anyone else that she was in fact physically present in the moment. Most of all, she needed to be able to pull herself back from the brink and think critically about the situation they were in. Okay. She could do this. Okay. Okay. She was here, and ready to help.

"Okay. What have I missed, and what do we do?" Lyra asked, locking eyes with the heterochromatic woman before her, trying to regain all control of her faculties. It seemed, in her despair, her cryst-blade had hit the floor beneat their feet, but that could be recovered later. Right now they needed a plan of action to deal with whatever this thing was, and soon.

TAG: @Fraag WORDS: 854 TOTAL: 19, 291 JOB: Link
    MEL @ WW

#ffa9e0
    Fraag
    Fraag

Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Fraag 22nd April 2022, 11:11 pm

Nita was still in the process of holding her fellow guild member, doing all she could to keep the shield up before the attacking Primordial got through to it, when she sensed something that had brought her quite a great deal of hope: movement. Even though she had not seen the movement, her heightened psychic senses had detected the fluttering of her friend’s eyelids as the pink-haired girl blinked. The Pergrandian drew back to scrutinize Lyra’s face, her own etched deeply with concern, as she hoped the Luminous Rose Ace was alright. Then Lyra finally spoke, exhaling as she did. It was almost as if Nita herself could feel the weight being shed off her colleague’s shoulders. She pulled Lyra into another hug, even as she almost wept due to relief. Still, the two mages were not out of the woods yet; there was still danger afoot, and the fact that Lyra had recovered did not particularly mean that the day had been won. However, with her friend having recovered, if Nita’s suspicion was correct, they had the advantage once more, as the Primordial had apparently been scared to face them together. Nita was still not completely certain as to why this was so, but she would take every advantage that came her way.

”Thank Arcanos you’re back!” Nita breathed in relief, finally letting go of Lyra. ”What have you missed? Nothing really, except that the brother of that frightening thing with the giant head is outside this shield, and he seems quite desperate to get in. Whatever his intentions are, I’m sure they are not benign. Oh, and I have cause to believe, based on what those hyena things said when we arrived, and what Planetary Skull out there said while you were still out, that somehow your presence, being unexpected, is a notable cog in the wheels of their plans. As for what we will do, we’re going to kill that thing. How? I don’t really know, but these things seem to be quite amenable to physical force, so I think he should quite understand our message when we attack him. But first we have to get out of this shield. I’m not sure it will last much longer, and yet, I think I have a way to get us out of this makeshift prison. Once we’re out, I guess we’ll just attack and see what happens. I also think we should not attack at the same time and from the same direction. And once we deal with Planetary Skull out there, we’ll find a way to seal that strange dimensional hole.”

Nita placed a hand on the wall of the magic tower. ”My plan involves me leaving you in here momentarily,” she continued, ”but don’t worry. If all things go well, you won’t have to wait long here. Are you ready to roll?” Once Lyra had ascertained her readiness, Nita would draw a card, and vanish. She reappeared some distance away from where the bright golden tower stood, appearing behind the giant headed abomination. To her irritation, the monster turned as soon as she appeared, as though it could easily sense her. ”Do you think you could sneak up on me?” the strange creature gloated, wheeling around to face her. ”I can sense the aberration that lives in your mind at all times. I will always know where you are, once you are in the vicinity. And I will extricate the thing that had been a Primordial from you, and consume it. Then I shall gain the ability to walk abroad on your planet. If it will be a consolation to you, you will not be alive to see what I shall do to your world.” As it spoke, the darkness that had been assaulting the golden tower of light recoiled and began whipping at the Pergrandian, causing her to perform some acrobatic maneuvers to avoid the attacks, while hoping that Lyra would take advantage of the present distraction somehow.

WC: 663
    PWC: 11331
    TWC: 19594

@Lyra Karant
    OOC: Sorry for the short post. Been feeling so tired lately.

Lyra Karant
    Lyra Karant

Character Sheet

Post by Lyra Karant 2nd May 2022, 2:46 am

Lyra Karant
    A Step Away From Sanity

Nita's explanation was sufficient now that they were ensconsed in the golden tower, and her understanding of the situation was imparted sufficiently - Lyra wasn't entirely sure what was going on, but it effectively amounted to the fact that this monster was probably a primordial, and once it died they could find a way home. The blonde haired woman's concern was so utterly endearing and heartwarming, however, that Lyra could not help but smile.

"Ready as I'll ever be. Let's do it."

The resolve was back, at least, which meant that she was ready enough to fight. The pink-haired girl watched as Nita extricated herself from inside the defensive perimeter, and then began to engage the enemy. It was enough that the rose quartz mage knew precisely what she needed to do, and there was no hesitation on her behalf to what she needed to do. Lyra knew. It was time for her to employ something that she kept hidden from most, though many in the guild knew precisely what this was given the fact that it was not the only of its kind that literally flew within the guild hall of their own volition.

From out of absolutely nowhere, a pair of shimmering pink crystal wings burst forth from Lyra's back, far different to those that previously came from her body - whereas those wings seemed simple and plain, these wings bore individual feathers, of a sort, though they were each jutting, jagged crystals. These wings began to move from her back, attached now to a large, similarly crystalline body, where a head, beak and tail formed as it came out as large and imposing as Lyra's body herself - this, then, was the moon crystal phoenix that Lyra had raised from the egg that she had located at the behest of Mysie Faulkner, her mentor, the chaotic one of the three sisters that had given her cause to travel deep to the heart of a mountain and fetch the egg. Akasha, as she was known, had spirit-bonded to Lyra directly, and nestled about her soul as a mother bird coddled its egg. Immediately, the great beast took flight, and with a single flap of its wings began to unleash one of its light-bending powers. While in this land energy, time, space and light were all so invariably distorted, Akasha could not be held back - the dazzling crystal reflection of herself and her brood-mates became the powerful weapon that the bird could use, dazzling the primordial beast and forcing it to look away as Lyra reached down to reclaim her similarly pink weapon. It was enough time for Lyra to lean down, reclaim her cryst-blade, and stare down the monster that was bearing down upon her friend and ally. Lyra could not permit her to come to harm, so dedicated to her role was she; there would be no brooking any form of argument on this particular topic and Lyra knew full well in her heart, mind and soul that she had the ability to draw the attention of an enemy if she so desired. Perhaps to her own detriment, but there would be nothing stopping Lyra from making a case for herself.

So blessed, her own wings sprung from her back, and she entered the offensive once again. For a second time this day - night? - Lyra swaddled herself in the protective shield that was her defensive capabilities granted by her crimson battle plate. For a moment, the barrier shimmered to life, then turned invisible; this would be the shell that protected her from her foe as much as possible. With Akasha circling overhead and drawing the planetary skull's attention as best as she could, Lyra was now prepared to go on the offensive to her fullext extent. She gripped the hilt of her basket rapier tightly, so much so for a moment that her knuckles turned white under the pressure, then remembered that such a grip would not do for employing the full piercing power of the weapon in her hands. The bright pink beacon of light that circled above drew sufficient attention that Lyra would in fact be able to engage this particularly misshapen foe herself. Despite her slayer capabilities being here, it was the crystalline panoply that would bear her to victory today, for she was blessed with such divine provenance that she could employ the strength she was blessed with. Perhaps she was not the chosen of a deity, and that was perfectly fine with Lyra. She was simply here, defending her friend.

Once again, she rushed forward - but this time, Planetary Skull was prepared, unlike the hyena beasts that they had faced earlier. With a white arm ending upon spindly, almost ghost-like fingers tipped with sharpened nails so much that they appeared as claws, the monster knocked Lyra out of the sky mid-charge as if she was little more than a fly to be swatted. While her plate protected much of her body, it did not shield her face - and that was precisely where she caught the blow, scratching her complete, shattering her magical shield, and drawing considerable blood from her face. While she could not see the blood, if Nita could, she would notice that it was not quite the normal deep hue of human blood - this one seemed to have a far darker tinge, and thhe sensation that Lyra felt was much akin to a tingling burn that she was unaccustomed to. The pain was almost unbearable, but Lyra knew that as she had drawn attention, she would be able to add value to the combat that Nita might be able to execute whatever primordial-slaying ability that she had up her proverbial sleeve.

Pushing herself from the pitch-black floor up on to her elbows, Lyra reached out a hand - blades of violent wind materialised from around her, and despite the odd burning sensation that was now coursing through her veins, the blades lashed out at the monster from this distance. She would not burn through her considerable mana reserves this day, but Lyra knew that her offensive strength was not what would carry her through today. Emerald eyes were as steel, staring down the monster that was now bearing down upon her, one plodding step at a time. The shield that she had already lost would not be enough, but she would fight until the bitter end. If all the attention was on her and Akasha, so be it - that would be enough for Lyra to be satisfied that she had performed her role. Dazzling moonlight was such a weapon that it could perhaps blind the beast - or at least, if Lyra was right, stun it long enough that Nita could act.

TAG: @Fraag WORDS: 1,129 TOTAL: 20,723 JOB: Link
    MEL @ WW

#ffa9e0
    Fraag
    Fraag

Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Fraag 2nd May 2022, 9:55 pm

As Nita strove to avoid the abomination's tendrils of darkness, her thoughts were on her friend whom she had left in the giant glowing fortress spell. Although Lyra seemed prepped up, ready to go, and back in the fight, she hoped that whatever it had been that her fellow guild member had gone through back there would not be scarring enough to affect her adversely. Mental damage, although more subtle and invisible than physical wounds, could be much more debilitating, and since, in most cases, the mind was the control center of the body, the crippling of the mind caused its attached body to be disabled as well, even if nothing was wrong with the physical integrity of the sufferer's frame. Though Lyra had expressed her readiness to do battle, Nita could not help but still feel worried, although she realized that worrying like that about her friend might be seen in some circles as a form of disrespect, as Lyra was a capable warrior in her own right, and had definitely survived enough challenges to be as strong as she was today. Besides, if Nita had trusted her enough to allow her come along as backup to Nazo, then she would just have to trust in her partner's ability to handle herself just fine.

"You cannot dodge me forever. You will get tired eventually. That is one of the weaknesses of being in a body as frail as that of the pathetic insects you call humans," the creature was saying, as it pushed its relentless assault. "Your ill-fated merger with one of our kind has drastically reduced the divine power it would have channeled were it free of the human shackles it now wears. And you cannot hope to best me, for while I am limited in my abilities, here on this strange world, I am still so far beyond what you can ever hope to deal with. And once I have destroyed you, I shall use your Primordial essence to design a form with which I will be able to invade your world at my ease and pleasure. It's such a pity you will not be around to see it, though, seeing as you humans are too easily dismantled." As if to emphasize its point, one of the monster's tendrils of shadow managed to grasp Nita's ankle, and even though she broke free with her sheer physical strength, she realized that even just coming in contact with this reality-breaking being of malice was very expensive. And she could not afford to take unnecessary costs in such a battle as this. But before Planetary Skull could push its advantage, Nita's golden fortress dissipated, revealing a flying bird made entirely of crystal. Nita had never seen the likes of it before, but she was sure that it was associated with her pink-haired friend.

Like a dart flying towards its target, the blonde Pergrandian saw her companion bravely charge towards the floating abomination, as she had done the strange hyena monsters. Unfortunately, even though her speed was impressive, the Primordial responded with an equally impressive speed, slapping the girl out of the air. Even though its long, spindly hand looked so infirm and weak, Nita was quite shocked at the amount of power that had been placed into the swipe that had knocked her friend out of the air. While Lyra's brave charge had been impressive, Nita was beginning to question whether such reckless tactics were worth it when facing such a dangerous enemy as this. She herself knew that she could not near the abomination without it knowing; it had said so itself, and that was most likely why it seemed to be more interested in dealing with Lyra, rather than focusing on her, as soon as the pink-haired mage had revealed herself.

In any case, Nita saw, to her horror, that the blow the Primordial had inflicted on her friend had left the latter bleeding, although something seemed wrong with the color of the blood. Once more, worry shot through the Pergrandian's heart, and she screamed the name of her friend in concern, even as the Primordial bore down on the Luminous Rose ace. "Lyra!" Heedless of whether the abomination was aware of her attack or not, the young Pergrandian formed a black card in her hand, and prepared to throw it at the creature which approached her companion. To Lyra's credit though, that girl was as tough as nails, as she rose from the ground and cast an offensive spell, shaped like raging blades of condensed air, which were sent roaring towards the reality-breaking abomination. Deciding not to allow her friend's sacrifice go to waste, Nita threw the card, as several others formed, swirling round the battlefield. "Wild Card: Canasta! Wild Card: Bezique!" The latter spell card was flung into one of the Canasta cards hovering close to Nita, while the monster still approached, apparently heedless of Lyra's spell. Although it did not seem too worried about the blades of wind, the gleam from the flying crystal phoenix temporarily blinded the monster, so that when the Bezique card popped out of one of the Canasta cards close to the Primordia, it took no notice of it, just as the wind blades struck its form.

There was a beautiful and multicolored explosion, as the Bezique card detonated, catching the Primordial full in the face. Nita, however, heedless of what was going on with the Primordial, used a card to teleport close to Lyra, looking at her with worry. "Hold still," Nita said, before planting a quick kiss on her companion's forehead, while communing her Kiss of Life spell. It was quite a powerful spell, and hopefully would cure any otherworldly damage that had been caused by the Primordial's clawing attack. "Don't be so reckless, Lyra! Do you want to get yourself killed?" she asked, fretting over her friend, even as the Primordial rose up, apparently unscathed. This was troubling. The Bezique was a rather strong spell, so for it to apparently have no effect meant that she was missing something. And then a hunch came to Nita. What if it was because the Primordial was more resistant to magical, than physical attacks? That would explain why it had swatted Lyra when she had physically attacked, but had not seemed to worry about the spells.

And then, it came. A gigantic chunk of stone came hurtling out of the distance, aimed at Lyra's crystal phoenix. Nita screamed as she saw the rock. This was not the time for random events to start making things already harder than they were. Hopefully, the crystal bird would have seen the rock long before it made contact, and would be able to dodge it. But even as the rock hit the black ground of Nazo, Nita realized where it had come from. When they had entered Nazo, she had seen strange giants in the distance throwing rocks at crystalline objects. Had they seen the phoenix from that distance? It was possible, seeing as the bird had been glinting rather brightly, even if that seemed a little farfetched, seeing as this was Nazo. As the giant rock hit the ground, the pressure from air being forcibly displaced by such a large mass sent everyone, Planetary Skull included, flying. Nita managed to right herself in the air, and landed gracefully, as an idea came to mind.

"Remove that disgusting flying thing, before it brings about the death of us all!" the Primordial hissed angrily, glaring at Lyra. This was a good sign. It meant the monster was afraid of something. "Don't tell me that the big bad Primordial is chicken," Nita said, dashing off in a direction perpendicular to that in which the Primordial was facing. She had no reason for running, except to lead the Primordial to not realize that she was going to have a private discussion with Lyra. Since normal humans required to discuss in ways that could be easily picked by creatures with human senses, the Primordial would not realize that she was psionically trying to discuss with Lyra, as she used her Aspect of Knowledge to create a telepathic platform between herself and the Luminous Rose Ace.

"Hey, Lyra, it's me, Nita. Can you hear me, hon?" Nita asked over the platform.  "Don't worry, I'm not reading your mind or anything. I'm just speaking to you telepathically, thanks to an ability of mine. Al you need to do to respond is think the thoughts you want me to get, and that's it. Now, have you notice how old Planetary Skull doesn't seem to be bothered about our spell attacks, but it did not let you get near it? I believe you somehow managed to hit on its weakness, love. It prevented your attack, because it's most likely weak against physical attacks. And while we can physically attack it, that may result in its own counterattacks, which I don't want, due to what I saw happen to you. So, I have a plan. If we can get one of those giants to lob a rock our way, we should be able to have it crash on Planetary Skull, if things go according to plan. I'm sorry if I'm suggesting we use your crystal bird as a targeting device, but it seems quite agile enough to dodge the flying rocks, and I have a feeling that Planetary Skull is probably imagining that we're not going to be stupid enough to have another rock lobbed at us, while we attempt to pin it down whether by physical means, or by magic. As for getting out of the way of said rock, leave that to me, and I'll get you out from under it safe and sound. Will you trust me on this? If you feel it's too risky, no worries. We'll do it the old fashioned way. But I think this plan is crazy enough to work."

WC: 1653
    PWC: 12984
    TWC: 22376

@Lyra Karant

Lyra Karant
    Lyra Karant

Character Sheet

Post by Lyra Karant 20th May 2022, 6:23 am

Lyra Karant
    A Step Away From Sanity

Between Lyra's reckless dashing, Akasha's whirlwind movement and the supportive powers of someone who likely shoudl have been the one taking the offensive, the primordial had likely bitten off more than they could chew. Lyra, on the other hand, was doing things that she would normally find entirely outside of her wheelhouse; everything that was happening here was simply the result of her doing things that she really could not have guaranteed the results of, but being stuck in a dimension where time, space and physics were so wildldy distorted was throwing her completely on the back foot. The fact of the matter was, despite the fact that she was bleeding not entirely profusely, but sufficiently that she should have been concerned, she was now acting in a way that was decidedly not Lyra-like in origin.  She was a supporter, not a main-line fighter. Why was she doing this? Why was she trying to take risks and do things that was out of her normal purview?

Simple: this place was messing with her head. The cut that she had suffered, and was subsequently healing slowly over time thanks to all the magic flying around including her own, made the wound feel like it was... bubbling? That was a good word. Her magic felt almosdt sluggish, in response, like it was reacting to her and her abilities somehow. That, however, was the least of her concerns; she needed to handle the enemies that had appeared before them. Which now apparently included those two twisted monstrosities from earlier which were now hurling stone in Lyra's direction. Or, more specifically, Akasha's; the moon crystal phoenix was flying circles around the debris, this was true. She was a majestic creature and not one to be stopped by such trivial things. No, it simply would not do.

Honestly, between all of that, there was just nothing left in the tank on Lyra's end. This was all starting to take a toll on her, mentally and physically. Then, as if out of nowhere, Nita's voice appeared inside her head with a mountain of instruction. Her first response was surprise - this was magic she'd never encountered in her life, and yet this felt so natural to Nita. One more thing to be added to the list of things that were entirely shocking to experience in the wide world of magicka. Then, of course, there was the plan. Lyra liked this plan. Actually, she could make it better, and quite possibly allay some of Nita's fears about the way Lyra was acting - which, to be fair, the blonde woman was right to be concerned.

Uh... is this thing on? I like it. Okay. Let's do it.

Lyra wasn't at all sure that Nita could hear any of this, but there was a wordless look up towards the pink bird floating around instead after that thought had been cast into the aether; in an instant, without so much as a command, the giant creature was dashing down towards the ground in order to swoop towards its master - in the same second, Lyra pushed off the ground and found herself astride Akasha, riding the bird as if it were a giant mount. In this case, it was. Akasha's rapid movement coupled with Lyra's own ability to fly, plus her steady hand, would mean that the rose quartz mage would be at home atop the bird, and was unlikely to fall off. She'd have to take the role of distraction- which she would. They could feed off each other's energy and hopefully live up to the plan that Nita was laying down.

So, Lyra was going to do two things - one, cast a big fiery spell to draw plenty of light to herself, wrapped in both moonlight from the reflection of the phoenix's wings and the flames of her slayer lacrima, and two...

"HEY YOU! YOU BIG LUMPS! COME AND GET US!" Lyra yelled, straight into the void. Kinda dumb, kiddo, but that's what we expect from you.

At this point, Akasha was flying gentle circles around the approximate trajectory between Planetary Skull and the monstrous rock-hurling cretins; hopefully, they'd get the idea and give it a try just to humour their curiosity. Or so Lyra hoped.

TAG: @Fraag WORDS: 711 TOTAL: 23,087 JOB: Link
    MEL @ WW

#ffa9e0
    Fraag
    Fraag

Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Fraag 31st May 2022, 6:47 pm

Nita almost laughed out loud at Lyra’s initial response to her telepathic platform. Like she was testing a microphone or something. The Pergrandian had really never considered her magic as being equivalent in its function and utility to some pieces of tech. But coming to think of it, magic and technology were not altogether that different. Both, when new, had to be worked on to even out the kinks and get their users more acclimatized to them. And well-functioning magic or tech was usually relied on to the point of almost taking its efficacy for granted. But such trust in good magic or tech was well earned. If one had used something time and again, and it had not failed them, it was quite natural to place such confidence in it, just the way Nita had learned to confidently trust her magic. It was quite a far cry from the blue-eyed girl back then in Pergrande, who had stumbled on an interdimensional god, and had her life changed in so many ways. That time now seemed so far away. It was quite funny to imagine that she had, at some point in her life, been horrified at the prospect of using magic. And magic, no less, from what had, at the time, been some sort of cosmic aberration.

”I’m not an aberration,” Maria complained petulantly. Lyra wouldn’t be able to hear that, though. Interestingly, the being whose powers Nita had absorbed had evolved greatly as well; in fact, the young Pergrandian could confidently say that the being in her head, who now went as Maria, had undergone an even more drastic change than she had. It was practically impossible to imagine that Maria was once something like the monstrosity that the two Luminous Rose mages presently faced here in Nazo. The fact that Nita could sense Maria’s revulsion towards the Primordial was proof of how much what was now her alter ego had changed. It was safe to say that Maria was no longer a Primordial, seeing as Planetary Skull regarded her with the same disdain that it regarded Nita with.

And speaking of Primordials, Nita knew she would have to keep Planetary Skull distracted well enough for her plan to work. It wasn’t very difficult, because even though the Primordial could easily sense Nita’s position, thanks to the fact that it could track Maria by some otherworldly sense, it could not track the Pergrandian’s spells, and the dust which had been raised by the rock hurling titans in the distance made sure that the Primordial was having a hard time seeing, allowing Nita to apparently press the attack, when in truth she was simply keeping Planetary Skull too occupied to see that Lyra was doing quite the opposite of what the Primordial had ordered her to do. Planetary Skull would probably have attempted to utilize everything within its power to kill Lyra, if it set its gaze on her, because while Nita was not sure of how intelligent this creature was, she could surmise that it had at least above average intelligence, and it would quickly be able to put two and two together and realize the plans they had for it.

The light of Lyra’s spell, diffracted and refracted by the crystals of the mythical Akasha and cast against the backdrop of Nazo’s dark and strange sky, bathed the area in a surreal, marvelous glow. It would have been something to wish to bask in, if one wasn’t quite aware of the danger the light would put everyone in the vicinity in. And as Lyra and Akasha blazed like an airborne beacon, from her elevated position, the Luminous Rose Ace would see one of the titans turn in the direction of the brightly shining light and begin to gesture comically to its companion, who also turned its head in the direction of the light and pointed. The immense distance between the titans and the mages battling Planetary Skull was so immense that Lyra’s voice, no matter how strong, could not cover that distance, except borne on the might of a powerful spell. But the pink-haired mage had not needed to yell; the gargantuan creature had seen the light. At the lighting of ‘Lyra’s beacon’, Nita knew that the end game had begun. ”Wild Card: Canasta!” A number of black cards swirled into the air, positioning themselves at strategic locations on the battlefield. If Planetary Skull had seen them, it took no notice of them. Its gaze was now on the shining Lyra, its facial features twisted into a grotesque and demonic scowl. ”Miserable wretch! I shall devour your soul!!” it howled, as it attempted to turn its attention on Lyra and her crystal phoenix. Sadly for Planetary Skull, that was not to be the case, as Nita had foreseen such an event happening, and had acted on her premonition. An invisible but quite discernable wave pulsed out from the Pergrandian, and as it struck Planetary Skull, the being froze in place, immobilized by her Orison of Desire: Love Tap. And then a great shadow loomed over them. It was a rock; no, calling it a rock would be a disservice to the magnitude of the chunk of stone hurled at the crystalline glow emitted by Lyra and Akasha.

”Do say hello to the missus for us, won’t you?” Nita said mockingly to Planetary Skull, as she drew a card and vanished, appearing right in the air beside Lyra. Even before gravity could begin to take effect on her, she wrapped her arms around her friend and guild mate, and one of her Canasta cards swooped in, sucking the two girls and the phoenix into it, mere seconds before the falling hill descended on what had been their position. As Nita, Lyra and Akasha emerged from another card portal about a hundred meters away, the shockwave of the giant rock impacting Nazo’s ground sent the three flying. But even as they landed some meters away, Nita could feel a sort of lightness in her soul, as though she knew that somehow, the universe had just become a better place. ”We did it, Lyra!” she exclaimed in joy, her arms still wrapped around her pink-haired friend. ”We can finally go home now. I owe you one, big time! I’ll never forget this, Lyra. Never! Thank you so so so much. Drinks on me when we get back!”

WC: 1067
    PWC: 14051
    TWC: 24154

COMPLETED!!!

Current date/time is 6th May 2024, 1:47 pm