Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

Fire Rescue! [EXAM]

Nymara
    Nymara

Player 
    Lineage : Prodigy of Nyx
    Position : None
    Guild : Fairy Tail
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Mentor : Akeya
    Experience : 21,875

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Fire Dragon Slayer Magic
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Fire Rescue! [EXAM]  Empty Fire Rescue! [EXAM]

Post by Nymara 6th May 2023, 2:31 pm

Finally! After hours of excruciating agony the red haired girl stepped off the boarding steps of the train, her body nearly hunched over as she tried to fight the urge to throw her guts out. “R- Really gotta find… A better way to get aro- HNK!” Nymara grumbled, holding in something as she instantly looked around for the nearest trash can! A few other bystanders of the train station gave the firebrand a few confused and disgusted looks as she rose her head from the garbage can, a look of exhaustion on her face. “While most unfortunate it can also be quite entertaining to see your bravado forced to take a backseat for once.” The small feline next to her said with a slight smirk. At his comment Nymara groggily turned to the exceed with daggers in her eyes. “A- Akemi said this was gonna be MY exam, why’re you even here?” She would ask, slightly out of irritation but mostly out of curiosity. “You’re most correct, it is your exam.” The feline would say, his smug smile never failing as he continued to walk on. “I won’t be giving you any tactical help for this one, Lady Akemi made that quite clear. I am to stand back and observe. Maybe even learn from your blunders.” The exceed would chuckle, though it was obvious Nymara still wasn’t amused. “At any rate we really should get a move on, my lady.” He would say, his voice switching to a more serious tone. “From my understanding this mission is very time sensitive.” At this comment Nymara would roll her shoulders before looking around them. “Yeahhh.. And we got some walkin’ to do! At last I can plant my feet on solid ground and have them take me where I need to go, just like nature intended!” She would say, finally feeling some relief pass after getting off that moving deathtrap. 

The day had been rather interesting, and not what Nymara had expected. Starting her day entering the guildhall Nymara barely had time to meander over to the bar or the request board before something came up! Akemi had been sparse on the details at first, though Nymara only figured that was because Lucky’s assessment had been correct. Whatever it was Akemi wanted Nymara’s help for out here was very time sensitive, so speed was made a paramount concern. Thankfully Nymara only needed a minute or two to regain her footing after getting off the train before she quickly followed the exceed to their meeting location, just outside the mountain village. To say that Nymara was excited was an understatement however. Finally a chance had risen for her to continue to prove her worth, not only to her mentor but the guild as a whole! She wasn’t exactly sure what her test would entail, though Nymara figured it was going to push her to her limits, if knowing Akemi was anything to go off of. Of course the girl was eager to redeem herself after her last exam. While she had technically passed, Nymara had always felt guilty about how. Hopefully whatever task the twilight dragon had in mind for the firebrand this time was more straightforward than her last exam, though Nymara doubted it. Either way she was extremely eager to find out why they came all the way out here. 

“Now, I believe the Lady wanted us to meet her somewhere around here.” The exceed would say, cautiously eying their surroundings as they exited the village. By this point Lucky was fairly familiar with Akemi’s magic so he never doubted that the twilight dragon could be watching them from any of the shadows. Nymara felt a similar way, her ruby gaze double checking her own shadow to see if her mentor was hiding in it! They had seemed to reach a fairly secluded spot, far enough from the main roads into the mountain village that nobody else seemed to be around. “Hmmm, nobody seems to be around just yet, maybe I should send up a SIGNAL FLARE!” Nymara said excitedly, lifting her arm as she was about to charge some magic. “I don’t believe that is entirely necessary, my lady.” Lucky would say, looking around once more. “As Lady Akemi has no doubt tried to teach you, subtlety is key. Best not to reveal our presence unless there is no other path forwards. I trust Lady Akemi can find us just fine without the excessive use of your power.” He would finish. A frown appeared on Nymara’s face, though she didn’t argue. After all, he was right. Akemi had spent so long trying to train Nymara to be less noticeable, and wouldn't do wonders for her exam if she showcased her lack of care for such things right at the start. “Well, if she don’t find us soon I’ma go find her! I’m sure she’d like that!” Nymara said with a mischievous smirk, her mind wandering to previous memories she had with her mentor. 
    833 Words | PWC: 833/2000 | TWC: 833

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Fire Rescue! [EXAM]  2ohu3XJ

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Dragon VIP Status- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Dragon Slayer- Rich- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Hic Sunt Dracones
    Faction : The Luminous Covenant
    Guild : Fairy Tail (Ace)
    Mentor : Whedalsin
    Experience : 1,093,688

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Twilight Dragon Magic
    Second Skill: Twilight Dragon Magic
    Third Skill: Twilight Dragon Magic

Fire Rescue! [EXAM]  Empty Re: Fire Rescue! [EXAM]

Post by Akeya 7th May 2023, 6:51 am

Akemi was pretty confident that not everyone was happy about the decision she'd made. Hostage situations were always considered some of the most sensitive of scenarios, so for her to snatch the task and declare that her apprentice would be taking care of it to prove herself competent had earned her more than a little doubt.

But so far as she was concerned it was a good opportunity and, more importantly, she'd seen Nymara's progress. The firebrand was still a bit too wild for her liking but she should be perfectly capable of rescuing all the hostages as long as she took the task seriously. The fact that the hostages were being kept inside a forest was just a bonus, as it meant Nymara would also learn about the importance of avoiding collateral damage.

Still, if the hostages actually came to harm she'd receive more than just some complaints, so even before Nymara arrived the assassin had already scouted the area. If worst came to worst she could take over, although that would mean that Nymara had failed her exam and would have to wait for another opportunity to prove herself.

Currently she had abandoned her physical form and was residing in the shadows at the edge of the forest, waiting for her apprentice's arrival. Given that Nymara still didn't know how to traverse long distances without relying on transport she imagined that it would take a bit longer before the fire slayer had recovered to her usual bombastic self. It was in the middle of the day so the shadows weren't too long, although inside the forest there would be dark aplenty for her to spectate Nymara from.

Hearing Nymara and Lucky's arrival Akemi would watch the two approach, the knight exceed and the fiery redhead. While the changes were minimal Akemi could tell that Nymara was different from when she'd arrived at Fairy Tail: her passion could be troublesome at times, but it also meant that she trained hard with the appropriate motivation.

After the two younger Fairy Tail members had their conversation Akemi would manifest herself behind a tree and walk out, raising an eyebrow at Nymara's last comment.

"Now's not the time for hide and seek."

She could have stepped out of Nymara's shadow as she'd done before, but she suspected that her apprentice was beginning to get used to it. Instead she just came to a halt in front of the two and folded her arms, nodding towards Lucky before focusing her full attention on the hopeful examinee.

"You'll be proving whether you have what it takes to raise your rank as a member of Fairy Tail, but at the same time you'll also be undertaking a mission with actual stakes. If at any point you start thinking you've got the luxury of goofing around remember that if you fail there would be consequences not just for yourself but others as well."

Akemi didn't care that much whether the hostages got out of this alive or not, but she wanted Nymara to be at her most focused. She'd have to be if she wanted to take care of these thugs without burning down the forest in the process. Once she had Nymara's full attention she continued.

"You'll be rescuing hostages which are being kept inside of this forest. They were on a train to Era when bandits ambushed them." She indicated the forest behind her with a small movement of her head. "Guards from Morgate have already tried to rescue the hostages, but apparently these bandits have access to magic that made it impossible to find either them or the hostages. You'll have to figure out how to avoid getting lost once inside."

Turning around she walked towards the nearest tree, placing her hand against the rough bark protecting it from the elements.

"It goes without saying that whether you pass or not depends on whether you can bring back the hostages unharmed. However, since this forest is important to the Mountain Village nearby you'll also be penalised if you burn it down in the process." She looked at Nymara over her shoulder. "I won't disqualify you if you burn down a couple of trees, but if I decide that you're not even trying to be careful it'll affect my final verdict. As for the bandits..." She shrugged. "The authorities want you to deliver the bandits to them, but I won't mind too much if you decide to kill or ignore them. The safety of the hostages is what really matters, along with proving to me that you can do the job even when you have to be careful."

Current Appearance:

WC: 775
    PWC: 775
    TWC: 1,608

@Nymara

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Fire Rescue! [EXAM]  Akeya2
    Between the Sun and the Moon, where it is neither Day nor Night, the Dragon of Twilight sleeps.

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 15th May 2023, 10:26 pm

The armored feline was about to open his mouth in response to the firebrand’s rather expected way of thinking, though it didn’t seem as though he’d need to comment, as Nymara’s mentor soon made her presence known to the pair. Nymara jolted her head suddenly in the direction of the voice, though relaxing slightly when she realized it was just Akemi. “AH! You cheeky bastard tricking me with what shadow you’ll come skulking out of!” She said, happy to see her mentor had finally arrive, though fully expecting her to come from her own shadow! Understandably the twilight dragon seemed serious about this matter, even though that wasn’t very far from her usual self. So when Akemi got straight into the matter at hand Nymara made it a point to keep her ears open. Lucky for the most part did the same, despite knowing he was not to be involved. Still, the exceed figured this could prove to be a learning experience for him as well, if he paid enough attention. It wasn’t like Lucky didn’t know how Nymara operated, though their time together rarely involved many high stakes stealth missions like these, aside from that one job with the arms-deal. It would be at the very least entertaining to see just how Nymara tried to solve this hostage crisis.

Nymara for the most part was growing more internally nervous as Akemi continued to explain her task. Things always got extra tricky when innocents were involved near her, so the firebrand could see why this would make a good test. She also felt it was an enormous show of trust on the twilight dragon’s part, letting the hot-blooded inferno take the reins on a job like this. Something Nymara had no doubt Akemi could handle with grace and ease. That fact alone seemed to up the stakes even more in Nymara’s mind. She wasn’t about to break said trust by burning down the forest or getting those people hurt. Or at least she would damn well try! 

“So some magic bandits feel lucky an hit a train on the way to Era? They have some balls, I’ll give em that!” She said with a slight chuckle as she crossed her arms, though her mentor’s comment about keeping her attitude in check popped back into her mind the second she locked eyes with Akemi again and she quickly settled down. “Heard those Rune Knights are a real grudge holdin’ lot! Those people snatchers are lucky I found em first!” Nymara beamed. “W- Well I guess those unfortunate guards from Morgate may have been first, but I’m here to finish the job!”
    “Be sure that you do, I fear the hostages do not have forever.” Lucky chimed in, feeling more on edge now that Akemi had made them fully aware of the situation. It was stressful knowing he couldn’t intervene and that this was all just a big test for Nymara. He hoped for the hostage’s sake the firebrand had become more capable of prioritizing her objectives, especially in a scenario like this.

“Well allow me to alleviate any potential worries you may have, ser Lucky.” Nym chirped, sensing the exceed’s stress. “Thanks to my amazing teacher’s uh… teachings. I know well enough to hold back. At least till the bodies are safe.” Nymara would say, switching to a more serious tone. “Just gotta figure out how many of the sorry sods there are and where they’re all at! That’s what this is for!” She would sneer, tapping her nose slightly. “I wish your confidence was contagious, Lady Nymara. Just please be careful. I know you are more than capable of taking care of yourself against some forest ruffians, but for the prisoner’s sake be efficient.” He would say with genuine concern. Nymara simply put her hands to her hips with a head tilt. “Not going to lie you cat, might get a little rough down there if they catch me before I want em too.” she started, thinking off to some possible futures. She would certainly try her hand at stealth. She could in no way compare to her master Akemi, though the twilight dragon was clever enough to impart the basic fundamentals of the practice to her apprentice so that the firebrand would have a tool for situations like these. “Though I promise you I’ll take the heat any of the prisoners get.” She said, vaguely implying she’d do her best to put herself between the hostages and any lethal shots. 

Of course this exam being within a forest presented its own challenge. Nymara had burned many before, though she had rarely given it too much thought. That had evidently changed under Akemi’s tutelage. “Got it! Green leaves stay green, not charred.” She’d nod. Thankfully she had learned how to hold back some of her attacks, so positioning was going to be key. When Akemi made mention of the bandit’s fate she tensed up a little. “K- Kill? Well I wasn’t planning on hurting anyone THAT bad but… I suppose if they give me no choice?” She said. Despite how destructive her magic usually was Nymara rarely intended it to have any final consequences on her enemies. Monsters were of course different, though once a person was down and beaten she was usually satisfied. A concept that may have seemed naive and childish to a master assassin like Akemi, though Nymara had yet to experience the same things the twilight dragon had. Rolling her shoulders Nymara attempted to hype herself up, sniffing the air slightly for any abnormalities. “Alrighty then, better make this as fast as I can, eh?” She’d say with a fanged smirk before breaking out into a jog into the forest, trying her best to use her enhanced slayer senses to pick up the bandit’s trail…

“Well, her tone doesn’t give much comfort.” Lucky would say with a concerned stare in the direction Nymara ventured off to. Turning back to Akemi the exceed bowed his head. “I shall take to the skies and observe from above. Have no fear, my lady. I only intend to spectate.” He would say to the twilight dragon. It would be difficult to refrain from giving Nymara his tactical advice with his viewpoint, though today everyone was taking steps outside their comfort zones…

1051 Words | PWC: 1884/2000 | TWC: 3492

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Dragon VIP Status- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Dragon Slayer- Rich- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Novice [250]- Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 18th May 2023, 11:58 am

Akemi gave Nymara a look as her apprentice referred to her as a "cheeky bastard", but decided to let it slide. She'd already shown enough familiarity with the firebrand that it wasn't surprising for her tongue to slip occasionally. "I don't skulk usually."

It was good to see that the fire slayer paid close attention as the assassin explained the details of the exam. Boisterous and passionate as Nymara was, it seemed that her time as a member of Fairy Tail had helped her develop some focus and an understanding of when she could afford to goof around and when things were serious.

Also, when Akemi would tolerate a lack of attentiveness.

"Funny that you'd bring up the Rune Knights." Holding her bandaged hand in front of her, palm upwards, ephemeral dark smoke would seep out from between the bandages and form an animated display of two armies clashing, albeit on such a small scale that it all fit on Akemi's palm, relying on Lucky's and Nymara's sharp eyes to make out the details. "Under normal circumstances they would take care of this, which is why this doesn't happen often. Just like the arms deal we had to protect before this could be seen as a consequence of the international conflict that has broken out: the Rune Knights have gotten themselves involved in that mess, so their presence within Fiore's borders has weakened." Closing her hand the smoke dissipated. "If it wasn't for that, these brigands would never have taken this chance, or if they did they'd quickly have been taken care of."

While technically there was a time limit to this mission Akemi didn't think they had to hurry that much: the kidnappers needed their hostages alive to extort a ransom, and the hostages were all civilians who'd obediently stay put until someone capable came along to save them. No rookie adventurers or hotheaded fools who thought they could take care of the situation by themselves.

"Just don't let anyone else hear that you referred to the hostages as bodies. They might take offence." After that dry comment she continued in a more serious tone. "There should be around forty hostages: they ambushed a smaller train meant for high-profile passengers. Easier to get a good ransom from those, and if the train was too big they risked losing control of the situation. I'll let you know when you've recovered all the hostages."

From the sounds of it Nymara was taking the situation seriously, considering her options and earnestly admitting that the ease with which she'd complete this mission would depend on how successful she was in remaining undetected. Given that the brigands didn't really benefit from harming the hostages Akemi didn't think Nymara would have much difficulty recovering those: she was strong enough that the brigands shouldn't stand a chance in a straight-up fight, so the only risk was that the firebrand got outsmarted.

The bigger concern was how the forest would fare, at least from Akemi's perspective (who didn't rate the hostages that highly anyway).

"You'll have to carefully manage your stamina." To keep the forest uncharred Nymara would have to rely on close-quarters combat (or very precise ranged attacks), which meant that each bandit would require more energy to take down than if she could just roast them all with a breath attack.

She could practically feel how the thought of killing the bandits made her apprentice tense up. Nymara was a brawler and a fighter, but she had nearly no experience with seriously hurting what she considered to be people. It almost made Akemi want to pit her against a dragon to see what the redhead would do. For now, however, she turned around to face her apprentice once more. "As I said, what you do with the brigands is up to you. Neither local law enforcement nor the Rune Knights will just leave them be if you decide to solely focus on the hostages."

The forest would quickly swallow Nymara once the firebrand decided to start her mission, increasingly large trees surrounding her until the outside world was little more than slits of light behind her. The canopy was dense enough that the blue sky was reduced to a spotted pattern of holes through which sunlight illuminated the world of brown and green. There was little to no wind, only the thinnest branches swaying ever so slightly to make the shadows squirm.

"She's already doing better than I expected, so we'll have to see." Akemi responded to Lucky. With a quick nod she acknowledged the exceed's statement that he'd spectate from above. The forest was dense enough that she doubted he'd be able to completely bypass the difficulties of this mission even with his aerial view... especially once the brigands' magic got involved. "Pay close attention then." The assassin herself dissolved into shadow, dispersing so she could act as spectator without interfering with the mission.

As Nymara ventured further into the forest she'd notice that it was abnormally quiet. Her sensitive hearing allowed her to hear critters digging through the ground, and the occasional flapping of wings in the distance, but beyond that it was like the world had fallen silent. Her sharp eyes allowed her to clearly survey her surroundings even with the trees throwing a complicated pattern of shadows across the forest floor, but nothing seemed to move aside from her own body and the fallen leafs and twigs her feet crushed and pushed aside. The lack of wind meant that there was not even the faint sound of air flowing past the wooden giants that dominated the terrain. Her sharp nose picked up the scent of dirt, rotting leafs, old bark and the numerous insects that gnawed their way through said bark, but a distinct absence of anything else.

However, all of this was simply the nature of the wilds, away from civilisation where people filled their lives with activity and noise. It was only after walking for several minutes that she'd discover that she couldn't tell which direction was which. Every tree looked the same, and looking back she'd find that there were no visible traces of her own trail. Even if she placed markings to help her navigate she'd find that the moment the markings left her immediate vicinity she could no longer remember where they were.

From above Lucky would see that Nymara's movements were... odd. Flashes of red hair revealed her serpentine path, twisting and winding between the trees with an aimlessness that contradicted with the mission the firebrand had dedicated herself to. And while for Lucky the sun hung high in the sky the foliage of the trees prevented Nymara from using the sun to orient herself.

If Nymara kept walking she'd eventually find that the slits of light that indicated the edge of the forest were now in front of her, her attempts at finding her way through the forest somehow ending up with her getting turned around. If she focused she might realise that even for the magic-saturated lands of Fiore the background magic of the forest was slightly higher than average, but there didn't seem to be a single source to direct herself towards. No winds to give away direction either, only stale, acrid air that lingered between wooden giants.

From the shadows Akemi watched as Nymara tried to navigate through the forest. She'd told her apprentice that the brigands used magic to prevent the guards from finding them, so the first challenge the firebrand had to overcome wasn't violent opponents but the trickery deployed by crafty criminals to confuse those who tried to locate them. Akemi had prior experience with such magic and thus had countermeasures, but Nymara was a straightforward fighter: how would she find her target when the forest was actively preventing her from orienting herself using ordinary means.

Current Appearance:

WC: 1,309
    PWC: 2,084
    TWC: 3,968

@Nymara

Between the Sun and the Moon, where it is neither Day nor Night, the Dragon of Twilight sleeps.

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 29th May 2023, 10:21 pm

It had appeared as though Akemi had already thought about the lack of involvement from the Rune Knights, and she was keen to explain the situation to the pair as Nymara crossed her arms. “Ohhh..” Nymara stared at the shadowy display in her mentor’s hands with great interest, the twilight dragon’s words almost falling on deaf ears for a moment as the firebrand seemed distracted by Akemi’s magic. With a quick pat on the leg from Lucky’s paw Nymara quickly refocused her attention on her raven haired mentor’s words. Apparently the war had forced the Rune Knights to reallocate their resources, which would explain why they hadn’t already handled this situation, and why the bandits attacked in the first place. Nymara was starting to piece it together now. “HA! So they’re just opportunistic scavengers too afraid of a real fight?  Well today ain’t there day, cuz I’m gonna give em one!” Nymara said eagerly as Akemi dissipated her shadow projection. Her exceed companion could only sigh, something he did a lot around this woman. “Don’t be too quick to forget the point of this exercise. Your ‘real fight’ may put the lives of the hostages in danger.” Lucky was sure to remind his companion. Nymara could only scoff in response. “So little faith cat! I have confidence I’ll find a way to solve our problem without *too* much fire.” She chuckled. 

Of course Nymara hadn’t just been speaking from the results of her cocky personality, but she genuinely felt like she had prepared as much as she could for a situation like this! At least for her current level. The months Akemi had put into her training had not gone to waste, so the firebrand was determined to make sure she could keep herself hidden, at least for a time. Already plans were beginning to form inside the girl’s mind on how best she could approach this situation. Assuming she found their base of operations Nymara’s first objective would be to locate the hostages before gauging the enemy numbers. If she was discovered before freeing the prisoners Nymara would have to put all her effort into drawing the enemy away from them, or at the minimum place herself in between. She just hoped it wouldn’t need to come to that, as she didn’t have the best track record of keeping the areas she fought in unscathed. Of course Akemi’s training had helped her minimize her destructive nature, though she hadn’t had a true test of that fact until now. 

“EHeh.. Yeah sorry. Poor taste.” Nymara chuckled somewhat awkwardly at the twilight dragon’s comment before Akemi continued to explain how many prisoners she was searching for. Apparently they were “high profile” which caused Nymara to raise an eyebrow and curl her lip into a fanged smile. “And probably easier to convince to give the guild a bigger reward!” She would snicker at the possibility. It was an amusing thought to have the rich indebted to her for a change. Of course not everyone found this comment as funny as Nymara did, a fact she learned after catching a concerned stare from Lucky. Not that it was unusual for the feline knight. “You are to rescue these people from being ransomed. I’m not sure they would distinguish the difference if you started to demand payment after freeing them.” Lucky would try and remind Nymara. Rolling her eyes somewhat Nymara responded: “I ain’t gonna be making any demands! Just hopin’ they have a generous spirit after they’re warm and safe and remember who got them that way!”
    “First they need to have those conditions before you start thinking about rewards.” He would say with an ear twitch. 

“Well I got lots of steam!” Nymara said as Akemi made a note for her to keep her energy reserves in check. “And who knows, if I get the jump on em I’ll probably be able to take down a few without magic.” She said, curling her hand into a fist. Nymara was well aware that she was stronger than most humans, so she was confident she could knock a regular person unconscious pretty quickly, especially if they didn’t know she was coming! When Akemi reiterated that the fate of the bandits was in Nymara’s hands she nodded. “Oh well I’m not planning on letting too many of them get away! Though I think some time in the slammer is more appropriate than a dirt nap.” She would say. “Might make things tricky, but this is a test, right? I wouldn’t expect it to be easy!” 

The trees grew more and more condensed the further in Nymara got, though this seemed to go unnoticed by Nymara as she continued to blissfully jog between the trunks! Nymara had been in a fairly decent mood, excited to see this test through and advance her status as a wizard! Still, the words of her mentor and her exceed companion rang in her head. She needed to remain focused, as the situation was extremely volatile. However, on that note Nymara had started to notice something odd when she refocused her attention on her immediate surroundings. It was quiet. Very quiet. The firebrand didn’t think much of it at first, though her instincts were telling her something was off, though she couldn’t quite place her finger on it. All around her the forest lay an eerie stillness that floated in the air, not even beckoning the wind to make noise. When Nymara chose to focus on the sounds around her it seemed to sparse for her liking. Instantly her mood began to change, feeling somewhat of a shift in the air. The girl would slower her pace now, trying to match the quiet of the woods with her own silence, keeping an ear out for anything suspicious. She couldn’t quite explain what had her feeling so on edge, though Nymara had been through enough forests to know that even when they weren’t near civilization it was never this still. Caution began to take hold as the firebrand progressed further into the forest, now with much quieter steps. 

“Wait.. I’ve seen this trunk before! It was right over here..?” Nymara began to mumble to herself in confusion as she was staring at what appeared to be the same tree, or at least very similar ones! They all seemed so familiar. Nymara had been so distracted looking at the finer details of the trees that the girl didn’t even notice she had reached the edge of the forest until the sun’s rays began to hit her eyes again! “W- Wait! I just- I thought..” She stumbled with her wording as she looked around in bewilderment! Of course her expression soon soured as Nymara began connecting the dots. She reminded herself that Akemi had mentioned the bandits had deployed some sort of magical deterrent, though she hadn’t really thought too hard about it until now! “OHhhhh so you think you’re funny eh?” She would grumble, turning to face the forest again with an irritated expression. The air around the fireslayer began to heat up as Nymara stewed in her emotion. She had experience with the magic of tricksters before, though not to this extent. It always infuriated her. “Well you won’t trick me that easily!” She would grunt, breaking into a full on sprint back into the forest!

A few minutes later Nymara found the light ahead, smiling as she thought she had made it to some sort of clearing, only to be met with the treeline she had just left from! “Huh?? AWE GODDAMNIT! But I only went in one direction! HOW does this work???” Nymara grunted with frustration after being tricked once more! Turning around again she stared down the dark forest with a look of aggravation. What sort of enchantment was this??? The air around Nymara began to heat with her rising emotion, though she quickly stopped herself after remembering the rules of the test. Nymara desperately wanted to incinerate these trees and hopefully burn away whatever magic was at work, though Akemi had made a specific point for her NOT to do that. After the temperature cooled off Nymara sighed and began walking towards the treeline once more, putting a hand on one of the trunks. By this point Nymara had begun to get suspicious if this forest was even real, or just part of the illusion. It could explain the unusual quiet that had pervaded the woods since her arrival. Sniffing the air Nymara began to try and isolate whatever differing smells she could make out from the forest as well. She couldn’t rely on sight or sound, that much was clear, so instead the girl would try alternative methods. The air certainly felt more magical than most places, Nymara could gather that much, but finding the source of such power was another matter entirely. “Well, I did tell the cat I had a useful tool.” She would say again to herself, remembering her early conversation. Knowing using her eyes would be mostly useless in this situation Nymara opted to close them, and begin walking back into the forest blind. The only thing leading the girl were the faint smells she could make out. Perhaps they were part of the illusion as well, though as of right now they were the only thing keeping Nymara anchored to reality.

Choosing to forgo her other senses entirely Nymara wandered the darkened woods using only her nose. She wasn’t exactly sure what she was searching for, though the firebrand had hoped the bandits hadn’t taken into account their own smells. If she could catch the scent of a single person, this illusion magic would have no more effect on Nymara’s progress! That was the hope anyways… Nymara herself didn’t exactly have any means of dispelling this illusion, aside from maybe using sheer force. However she suspected Akemi would disapprove of such methods, so the girl opted to try something less destructive. She just hoped her patience with this spell payed off, as she wasn’t known to have a lot of it.

1667 Words | PWC: 3551/2000 | TWC: 5635

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 14th June 2023, 7:55 am

Akemi frowned as she observed Nymara's progress from the shadows. As expected, the firebrand was having severe difficulties challenging the magical deterrent the bandits had laid out to hide in the forest. There was nothing for her to fight, and the sharp senses she normally relied upon appeared to be useless this time around. Sharp eyes didn't help when all trees looked the same, and sharp ears only worked when there was sound to detect. Here in this enchanted forest there was no direction and no distinctions... at least, none that could easily be detected by a human.

If it took too long for Nymara to figure out how to proceed Akemi might have to drop a hint, but she was going to give her apprentice plenty of time to prove herself. The redhead did have a functional brain, she just needed to apply it in a situation where fists wouldn't suffice. As exasperated as Akemi might be at times she did have high expectations of the slayer: if she didn't she would never have presented this challenge as the exam the enthusiastic firebrand had to pass.

And there was one way of figuring out the path forward which Nymara could use but which a human might not think about. That acrid scent clung to every tree, faint but ever-present, irritating the nose even as it was the clue which Nymara would need to move forward.

Enchantments like these which befuddled the senses needed an access point. In this case the enchantment the bandits had woven to hide themselves would anchor itself to the psyche of everyone that entered this forest through their sense of smell, something which humans rarely paid as much attention to as their sight and hearing. But for a slayer, whose nose was significantly better than average...

As Nymara began to navigate her way through the forest with her nose upfront she'd quickly realise that while the scent was almost non-existent near the edge of the forest it'd grow stronger the deeper one went. The difference was mild enough that a human might not notice it, but for her, it'd be possible to tell the difference. This time she would not be greeted by the bright sun beyond the treelines.

Instead, the world around her only grew darker, until almost no light hit her closed eyelids any more. And now other scents were also creeping into her nostrils, the acrid smell no longer suppressing all the others. The scent of trees, the scent of feather and carapace, the scent... of humans, leather, and metal.

Akemi could bypass the effects of the enchantment by spreading her awareness far enough to cover a sizeable amount of the forest. As Nymara was making progress she followed, intangible but ever-present, only the faintest darkening of shadows a hint towards her existence.

The enchantment only existed to keep intruders out, so once Nymara made it far enough into the wood's depths she also moved outside of the affected area. At first the forest might seem the same as before, if darker, but now she'd have no difficulty distinguishing between the various trees that dominated the terrain, and various sounds from the critters that lived in the overgrown landscape also found their way to her ears.

But getting past the enchantment was only the first step. Now she'd have to find the bandits and their hostages, to free the latter and decide for herself how to deal with the former.

Her ears would alert her to the sound of leather scraping against wood. There was nobody in sight, but nevertheless, someone was there. No spells flew forth to greet her, no weapons were aimed at her, but no longer was she alone. To her left there was a gully, the flanks covered in patches of green and a small creek at the bottom. To her right there was a mess: a large tree had fallen over at some point in the past, its thick branches entangling with those of its neighbours so it remained at an angle, allowing some more sunlight to spill into the forest.

Unbeknownst to Nymara, but not to Akemi, there was a guard post not too far in front of her, only separated from the firebrand's position by several hundred meters. The guard post had been placed in the branches of one of the trees, from which a watcher could survey the surroundings clearly. If Nymara moved any closer without being aware of this she might end up being detected before she even knew where the enemy was.

As it was Nymara was close to the edge of the guard post's line of sight. Fortunately for her, while the watcher's altitude meant they had a clear view of their direct surroundings the other trees in the area kept them from gazing too far out into the distance.

Still, she'd have to somehow get past this if she wanted to rescue those hostages.

Current Appearance:

WC: 824
    PWC: 2,908
    TWC: 6,459

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 28th July 2023, 1:34 pm

Well this was rather enlightening! As the sun continued to shine high above Nymara increasingly paid less and less mind to it as her determination led the firebrand deeper and deeper into the thicket. This forest obviously had some sort of magic at play here, so Nymara had decided it was best to try and shut out nearly all of her senses except for the one she could rely on the most. Still, it was a strange feeling dedicating so much time to the smells around her. Not that Nymara had never used her enhanced senses to her advantage, but rarely would she have to devote so much time into one! Still, it appeared to be doing a good job as the longer Nymara followed her nose with her eyes shut the deeper into the forest it appeared she would venture. During her previous attempts Nymara had gotten used to being kicked out of the woods by this point and finding herself back at the clearing near the treeline, so the ever growing darkness that continued to grow with intensity around her was actually a good sign. One that would elicit a small fanged smirk from the girl, just satisfied that her idea brought her to another part of the forest. Of course the deeper into the woods she got the stronger the scents would become as well. Nymara felt the urge to open her eyes and ears at this point but held herself from doing so. Even if she had gotten a better lead on her targets now there was no telling how the enchantments in this forest would react to her other senses. Nymara partly worried that if she opened her eyes she’d find herself right back at the treeline again! If that had happened the firebrand couldn’t guarantee she wouldn’t start another forest fire out of rage, though that would likely bring a quick end to the exam, and not the kind of end Nymara was aiming for. 

Some time had passed while Nymara maintained her present course though something soon caused the girl to skid to a halt. Up until now the firebrand had been lightly jogging through the forest with her eyes shut, relying on her nose to tell her where to step and where to avoid, but something was different now. Nymara had finally begun to pick up other scents in the darkness, which meant that she was getting closer? With a deep sigh the firebrand finally let her ruby eyes flicker open slightly, the dark wooded grove around meeting her. A wave of relief passed over the girl for a brief moment, if only because her current surroundings were not what she recognized. The smells were also getting stronger, though one in particular caught the interest of the dragon slayer. Humans. Nymara placed her hands on her hips and gave the air another few good whiffs in an attempt to reorient herself and get a better fix on her target. Now it seemed Nymara could see and smell all the regular things one would expect from a forest! A statement that wouldn’t seem out of the ordinary at most times, but the firebrand was clever enough to understand that magic had been at work here to suppress the senses. Perhaps she had finally passed beyond the enchantment’s range? Well Nymara wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth by wasting time questioning all of it, she still had people to save! With renewed confidence a vigor the firebrand continued deeper into the woods, now with her eyes and ears open as well and making sure to take light steps. 

Using the trees as cover Nymara would carefully slip between the trunks as she continued on her way, following the direction her nose had led her before. She had a much better fix on her targets now that she could smell them, so getting to them was the logical next step. However there was a slight kink in that plan the second Nymara’s ears picked up a nearby noise! The sound of wood and leather scraping together filled the air, and for a moment Nymara was poised to defend herself, though an attack never came. Instead the girl was still met with the empty forest, though it had some noticeable changes than before. Rather than just being a maze of the same shaped trees like it had been with the enchantment Nymara found herself staring at a small gully. Behind her a fallen tree rested amongst its brethren, moss and vines overtaking its once proud trunk. The girl could still hear the sounds, but had to stop herself from rushing ahead! She nearly forgot this was supposed to be a test of stealth, so even if Nymara could handle whatever bozo was making those noises she wouldn’t be scoring any points with her mentor if she went in arms blazing. Not to mention the danger she’d likely be putting the hostages in if she made her presence known to the bandits. With a sigh Nymara lowered her body slightly and looked towards the fallen tree. Tilting her head slightly she got an idea. 

With a look of concentration Nymara would begin to scale the fallen trunk, the angle of the tree forming almost a makeshift ramp towards the tops of the other trees it had been entangled with. The girl figured the thick foliage would give her better cover than the trunks of the trees near the forest floor, and she wanted a better fix on her surroundings! Finally Nymara had nearly reached the top of the fallen tree, quickly leaping from its trunk towards another tree that climbed higher in the sky. With a few grunts the girl easily made her way to the leafy top, her eyes peering over the forest beyond! Nymara had to be careful not to expose herself among the treetops as well, her bright hair was often very noticeable, even from a distance. For that reason Nymara still remained hidden beneath the leaves even as she stood atop one of the highest branches. Nymara tried to pinpoint the source of the noise, her ruby gaze scanning the surrounding forest until she spotted something ahead! It looked like some sort of makeshift wooden lookout point had been built into the thicket, and there was a person standing in it! Nymara’s eyes widened for a moment, but soon a smirk formed across her lip. She was certainly on the right track. 

Nymara knew that if the guard spotted her or anything else she likely wouldn’t have much time to react before he let his friends know, so she needed to be quick! Nymara would begin making her way towards the guard post, though she would hop from tree to tree, remaining hidden just beneath their foliage. Doing it quietly was harder than it seemed, though Nymara was trying her best not to make a noise as she hopped from tree to tree. Thankfully with how thick this forest was the gaps were never far. Eventually the firebrand would find herself closer to the guard post, just a few trees beyond. When she noticed the lookout a thought popped into her head. She could simply wait for an opportunity to knock him out cold and be done with it… But what was that saying? Information is power? Taking in a deep breath the firebrand waited for the guard to be distracted. While he wasn’t looking in her direction Nymara would hop across the trees once more, until she was clinging to the trunk directly under the guard post! Praying he hadn’t noticed the sounds she made Nymara scaled the tree with deft silence, trying to get behind the guard. Once she nearly reached the exposed railing of the lookout post Nymara took in a deep breath. 

“Hey.” She would say casually, breaking the silence. If the man turned to face the source of the sound he would be met with two boots rushing to meet him over the railing’s edge, hitting him square in the face as Nymara swung into the lookout post! She wouldn’t let him have any time to get up however, as the firebrand quickly descended on the guard and pinned his body to the ground! Holding his arm in place with a painful boot and raising up a hand that soon enveloped in flames while the other covered the guard’s mouth! With a devilish grin Nymara leaned closer to get a better look at the man’s eyes. “Now then friend. We’re going to have a little chat, and if I sense any magic reaction from you or a call for aid for your buddies they’ll only be aiding a pile of ash, got it?” She would ask menacingly, holding the flames closer to emphasize her point. “Now you’re going to tell me the exact number of friends you have runnin amok in these woods and you’re going to tell me how many of them can use magic. I won’t be going in blind. Also, lying may be hazardous to your health. Don’t test me.” 

1520 Words | PWC: 5071/2000 | TWC: 8069

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 30th July 2023, 11:43 am

Nymara's choice to climb the tree meant that she risked getting spotted, as the sunlight would make her vibrant hair visible like fierce flames. However, as she was swift and nimble enough to ascend quickly without any difficulties no alarms were sounded: the guard's position in the branches meant that for him to notice Nymara he'd have to be looking in her direction at the right time in the short window it took her to reach the treetops, and as fortune would have it his gaze was aimed in another direction for long enough. Once she was amongst the branches the dense forest would keep her hidden, as well as her high altitude that placed her above the guard post.

Akemi wondered if Nymara was aware that humans had a common failing of not looking up when keeping an eye out. It was something she herself often made use of if she couldn't rely on invisibility or shortcuts to get past wary watchers. Given that humans were kin to apes and monkeys it was rather curious that they had to be taught to look up rather than knowing to do so instinctively, but in the end, it made the job easier for assassins like herself.

Regardless, once Nymara was high enough in the treetops closing the distance to the guard post was an easy task, her physical abilities allowing her to move from branch to branch with little difficulty. Dragon slayers were more physically inclined than most magic users, and while she didn't make a point of it Akemi was pleased that Nymara took to that aspect of her abilities so naturally. There existed dragon slayers who'd focus fully on magic without applying their bodies at all, which was a waste of potential.

Nymara's sneaky approach was aided by the fact that she wasn't up against well-trained and experienced enemies: these bandits had enough know-how to successfully ambush a train and take away all the passengers, but if one were to compare their skills to that of your average Rune Knight they'd come out looking like oafish clowns. The guard in question was trying his best to keep an eye on his surroundings, but a lack of discipline or experience meant that for the most part, he just looked around, a crossbow leaning against the tree trunk behind him as he suppressed a yawn. The bandits had sent out a demand for a ransom, but until they received an answer they were stuck waiting, not knowing how long it would take. It was difficult for even disciplined soldiers to remain alert under such circumstances, but for some thug it was borderline impossible.

That said, it wasn't like he was completely without caution: once Nymara got close he frowned as he subconsciously picked up on her presence, even if he wasn't sure what exactly had him on edge. When she spoke out behind him he reacted quickly, grabbing the crossbow and spinning around to meet his foe... only to get hit squarely in the face by Nymara's boots and knocked to the ground, the crossbow falling out of his hand as he let out a surprised and pained cry.

With his back on the wooden floor of the guard post the thug tried to get up and grab a small horn, but Nymara's quick and decisive actions forced him back down, grunting before her hand covered his mouth and a firm boot prevented him from lifting his dominant arm. He struggled against her, trying to force himself up despite the slayer's body on top of his, but discovered that despite his larger built the slayer's supernatural strength was too much for him, leaving him at her mercy.

The flames that appeared in her free hand quickly got his attention, his angry gaze turning to one of fear as his eyes went wide and his cheeks pale. He shook his head as she brought the flames closer, letting out muffled sounds and trying to pull himself away from the flames even as Nymara's strength held him in place. When she removed her hand so he could answer her questions he took a deep gasp before replying.

"I won't lie, just don't burn me!" She clearly had done a good job scaring the daylights out of him: most people would have a hard time keeping their cool when they were suddenly pinned down and faced with the prospect of getting burned alive. While he had a fair amount of muscle he looked quite young: not much older than Nymara herself, in fact. His attire was a mix of simple linen clothes and pieces of crude leather armour. Aside from the crossbow he also had a dagger and a shortsword at his waist, although both were now well out of reach with Nymara restraining him.

"W-We've got 17 people counting me. Resmir, Thovis, Irvo, Lanif-I mean Lanith, Berk, Wyrode, and Pell can use magic, b-but Berk isn't very good at it."

In his haste to convince Nymara to not burn him he was stuttering and getting tongue-tied answering her questions. Like a prey animal caught in the gaze of a predator he lay there, terrified that even the slightest movement may make the scary flame-haired girl with the reptilian eyes and the sharp fangs decide that he wasn't being cooperative enough.

"W-Wyrode is in charge but Pell... Pell's magic should've kept you-kept you out. C-Can you please l-let me go? I didn't, I haven't hurt anyone, I haven't done anything wrong!"

Nymara's sharp senses would tell her that the man's heart was pounding in his chest and his voice was wavering, and he smelled of fear and desperation. With him being so openly terrified of her thanks to her violent introduction and her credible threat it might be difficult to know for sure if his stuttering and sweating was because he was lying or because he was scared shitless. The fear, at the very least, was completely genuine: there were few humans who could fake their emotions to this extent, especially without the usage of magic.

Current Appearance:

WC: 1,012
    PWC: 3,920
    TWC: 9,081

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 10th August 2023, 4:45 pm

Nymara would be lying to herself if she said this test hadn’t just become a lot more fun. While it was always entertaining to watch the bad guys cower in fear from her flames, what brought more satisfaction was the fact the lamb she caught was so talkative. While the man tumbled and fell over his own words Nymara only continued to stare him down in silence, her expression unchanging as the fire in her free hand remained ready. What he said was interesting to be sure, and the firebrand needed a moment to think about it. 

It seemed these people-snatchers were more complex than they seemed. Nymara was confident enough in her own skills to take on some wizards who had to resort to banditry, though she still found it odd how many had grouped together. The young fire drake had plenty of experience roughing up thieves and bandits who prey on the roads in Fiore, though never had she encountered a group with this many wizards. That was assuming the one she caught was telling the truth. A part of her wondered if some Dark Guild was at play here, though she figured Akemi would have mentioned something if that were the case. Unless of course that was also part of the test! Nymara had to be prepared for anything. She could never be certain with her mentor, that woman was very good at hiding what she wanted. 

“17 of you eh? And 7 of ya are wizards? Well, I’d say things just got a whole lot more interesting.” Nymara would chuckle. Something else the man said also caught the red-head’s attention, regarding one of the alleged wizards with the bandits. Apparently Berk was lacking in his magical abilities. She had no idea how to single someone out based on a name alone, though Nymara felt she didn’t have the time to interrogate this guard for too long. He also made mention of their leader: Wyrode. If he was a wizard and also the head of this band of kidnappers that probably meant he was going to be the strongest of the bunch. That was Nymara’s theory anyways. Silently cursing herself because of how much time she had wasted already Nymara would grip the man’s collar and yank him closer, keeping her flames active nearby. “Then I just got one more question for ya. “Outside of Pell (who could work on their magic as well) What’re the rest of their powers? HUH??? SPEAK DAMNIT!” Nymara pushed, slamming her flaming fist into the boards near his head! If there were that many different wizards involved in this kidnapping operation then she wanted to know more about what she was going up against. Especially if the sneaky route failed and they ganged up on her. Of course Nymara figured she’d probably fail the test by then, but at that point it wouldn’t really matter either way. She was going to save those people, even if it meant she needed to burn through the other wizards one by one. 

After hearing what she wanted Nymara would consider the man’s begging. In response she gave him a short chuckle. “Well, I think you’ve earned this at least.” She would say, before violently cracking her head against his! After a brief moment Nymara shook out of her daze and looked at the unconscious guard. With the amount of force she hit him with he’d likely be out for several hours. By that point Nymara will have completed the mission, or failed it. Still, the firebrand’s instincts told her to envelop the horn the bandit was going to use in flames, just in case. “Thanks for the info buddy, now I gotta get movin’! Losing daylight here.” She would chuckle. Not that Nymara minded the coming night. It would make her mission much easier if she had the shadow’s help. Something her mentor was keen on teaching her. With a grunt Nymara would vault out of the guard post, and onto another tree. Following her nose to the rest of the humans further in the forest with a constant smile across her lip. 

689 Words | PWC: 5760/2000 | TWC: 9770

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 13th August 2023, 9:53 am

The man kept glancing from Nymara's face to her flames, apparently torn between not wanting to take his eyes off the threat and not wanting to somehow offend the person who might just decide to burn him if he pissed her off. The fact that her expression didn't change at all only made him more frantic: he couldn't tell whether what he was saying appeased her or not, so he could only do his best to say whatever she wanted him to say in the hopes that she'd leave him unharmed.

While this man supposedly had been part of a successful attempt to waylay a train and capture several important figures he didn't have a smidgen of bravery or courage in him. Then again, maybe that wasn't that surprising: bandits weren't known for their noble traits, after all.

Her words made him frown in confusion, uncertain of what she meant by "interesting". However, he didn't have the luxury of asking or figuring it out, because suddenly the fire dragon pulled him up by his collar, the thug flinching and trying to pull away from the flames which were now close enough that he could feel the heat on his face.

"P-Powers?" He yelped as suddenly that fiery fist slammed into the boards that made up the guard post the two of them were in, squirming in Nymara's grasp as he tried to make some distance while the flames licked at the wood which slowly turned dark and smoky as the moisture within was preventing outright ignition... for now.

"W-Wyrode makes swords fly! Berk controls water! Resmir creates smokescreens! Thovis heals people! Irvo snares targets! Lanith has farsight!"

Words were spilling from him as water flowed from a river, a rush without pause. Clearly he wanted to give Nymara the information she asked for before her flames got close enough to actually burn him, sweat making his face shiny as his eyes were wide in fear.

Through the shadows Akemi could listen to the conversation, and compare it with the intel she herself had gathered while she had the opportunity. It looked like Nymara was taking the situation seriously and not assuming that she could beat the bandits without breaking a sweat, given that she went through the trouble of learning what she was up against instead of just running in.

The next question, then, would be whether Nymara could make good use of the information the thug had provided. As Akemi's presence spread out she settled in to observe the rest of this exam, dark shadows throughout the forest giving her a front-row seat to everything that was happening within.

The bandit wasn't sure what Nymara meant until she knocked him unconscious with a headbutt, the thug ironically becoming more relaxed once he was left completely helpless. His eyes rolled up into his head as he collapsed, limp on the ground as if all the tension had left him at once. This left Nymara with no resistance as she burned the horn, preventing him from warning the others even if he did manage to wake up in time.

As Nymara advanced her sharp senses would clue her in on the situation: the guard post she'd just left behind was part of a large encirclement of posts, the radius large enough that the dense forest prevented her from visually identifying the other positions. There were at least two other posts.

Beyond that, there were quite a lot of humans in what presumably was the centre of the ring of guard posts. Given that they were all clustered together it would be difficult to identify them at a distance, but clearly enough that it had to be the hostages Akemi had mentioned, unless there was another group of humans present in this forest. Along with the smell of humans there were also the scents of leather, cloth, burned wood, and polished metal.

If she kept moving towards the large group of humans she'd quickly find several tents of brown and green in groups of two's and three's, barely visible in the dark forest except for the small campfires that accompanied them. In total, there were ten tents, roughly forming a circle around several large trees which had been linked with strange, silvery rope, forming an enclosure within which the captives were all tied up.

Around this encampment the bandits had embedded large stakes into the ground pointing outwards, creating a hostile barrier which would give the bandits an edge if they were found by standard guards or low-ranked adventurers.

Eleven thugs were present in the camp: four of them stuck close to their makeshift prison in groups of two, occasionally looking at their captives but seemingly more interested in what lay beyond their barricades and keeping one another from getting bored to death with casual conversation. Two others were creating more stakes to strengthen their fortifications, one helping hold a thick, long branch in position while the other carved a sharp tip at the end. Another was seated in front of one of the tents, seemingly nodding off even if he had a crossbow in his hands. Another Nymara couldn't immediately see, but her sharp nose and ears told him that he was inside one of the tents closest to the edge of the camp keeping his spirits up.

The last three had formed a circle around one of the campfires, with two of them sitting down and focusing on something between their hands while the third was standing straight and looking around in an absent-minded manner.

Thanks to her high vantage point and sharp senses Nymara could spy on the bandits from a distance without getting spotted, but she'd still have to somehow get in there and rescue the captives.

Current Appearance:

WC: 959
    PWC: 4,879
    TWC: 10,729

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 25th August 2023, 2:56 pm

As the firebrand progressed through the thicket she noticed her senses pick up on multiple new smells. Before she could barely make out anything beyond wood and leaves, but thanks to her encounter with the guard post the girl knew she must’ve been on the right track! Assuming her nose wasn’t playing tricks on her like her eyes had been earlier thanks to that annoying magic, Nymara could tell a couple of similar guard posts had been set up in the vicinity, though the underbrush was too thick for her to get a clear visual. Fortunately the same went for the guard posts who may have noticed her had she not been keeping to the treetops. *Heh, Lucky must be pretty bored by now. He’s used to the light show that normally ignites on jobs like these* Nymara thought to herself with a smile, remembering that her furry companion was also observing from above. She wondered if the exceed still had sight of her, or had her developing taste for stealth thrown him off too? Guess she’d find out once the job was done. 

Nymara had spent much of her advance thinking about what the bandit had said. While she didn’t show much reaction to his words at the time, the firebrand was now trying to formulate a plan for any and all possible encounters she’d have with the bandit wizards. Some of their powers sounded more niche than others, but that could be a reflection of their skill. Of course the water wizard was weighing heavily on her mind, the firebrand still lacking proper experience fighting hydromancers. Of course if she could go all out and not worry about restrictions Nymara was confident her flames could overwhelm most aqua magic, though this was a very specific circumstance that required discretion. Luckily Nymara had remembered what the bandit told her about the hydromancer’s skill. Perhaps she had little to worry about, but it would still be best to get the jump on them regardless. 

Apparently their leader made swords fly? That description was a little vague but Nymara didn’t exactly have a ton of time to interrogate that bandit. She just hoped her acrobatic skills were up to the challenge in case things went awry, getting skewered by magical blades didn’t sound like a great way to go. Sounded like they had a healer and a trapper as well as someone who had farsight. That was an interesting magic, and one Nymara figured had the potential to make her life a lot more difficult. Before making any moves on the bandits or the hostages Nymara wondered if it would be best to single this “Lanith” out and take them out of commission first. She wasn’t aware of the exact parameters of their magic or how effective it was, but still, she didn’t want to risk them alerting the others. 

Finally it seemed Nymara found the bandit camp. From her height within the trees she could make out faint flickers of light in the distance, and as she got closer it only confirmed that these were in fact campfires. On top of that Nymara’s senses could smell and hear the large group of people constantly moving about and talking amongst themselves. From what she could see the bandits had gathered their hostages all together near the center of the camp, with crude wooden spikes being used as fortifications. Nymara would laugh if she wasn’t worried about giving herself away. Like a couple of sharp sticks were gonna keep her out. Still, something kept her slightly on edge. From what she could observe this was not the entire crew. At least, if she were to believe the guard. The missing bandits could simply be the ones manning the other towers, though she would need to be careful, just in case her rescue was interrupted by more people returning to camp. 

Kneeling on a tree branch Nymara locked her eyes on the camp with an intense focus, watching and memorizing the movements of every bandit she could see. Taking them all out without being seen would be difficult, as she wasn’t exactly known to divide and conquer. Still, that would be the best way to ensure none of the hostages got hurt. Akemi would also be fairly disappointed if she abandoned stealth for a quicker victory anyways, so that was off the table. No, she would need to be patient… How irritating. Not long after Nymara’s eyes trailed to one tent in particular, where the strong scent of booze wafted its canvas. A devilish smirk formed on Nymara’s face as she formulated an idea. The girl would have kept her treetop vantage, though ahead she noticed some strange silver rope lining the trunks and connecting several trees together. Could be nothing, though Nymara’s instincts told her not to risk passing it. Instead Nymara dropped to the ground as deftly as she could, quickly hiding behind the trunk as she rolled to her feet. Thankfully the forest was much darker this deep in, and the sun was already dipping in the sky. The shadows were everywhere. Careful not to alert anyone Nymara snuck to the tent’s flank, keeping it between her and the rest of the bandits. Guessing the bandit inside was already a little tipsy based on how much alcohol Nymara could smell she cleared her throat slightly after hiding just beyond the tent’s back entrance flap. “H- Hey could you come out here and give me a hand with this?” Nymara would put on a purposely low-sounding manly voice (as best she could manage at least) but kept it just quiet enough so only the man in the tent would hear. Nymara couldn’t help but chuckle to herself slightly as she lowered her body and prepared to strike. If she had to take these folks out one at a time, she may as well have some fun with it. 

987 Words | PWC: 6467/2000 | TWC: 11716

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 3rd September 2023, 12:07 pm

As the day progressed and the shadows grew longer others would find themselves having difficulty perceiving their surroundings, but for Akemi, such handicaps didn't exist. Whether light or dark, she could perceive all that wasn't hidden with formidable magic. While Nymara was making her way into the area the bandits had claimed as their own the shadows followed, their owner seeing without being seen. She was but a spectator, although if worst came to worst she could also step in: a failsafe in case her lovely apprentice made a mistake or circumstances simply spiralled beyond what the fire slayer could reasonably deal with. Akemi had made sure to gather enough intel beforehand so the latter shouldn't be an issue, but only a fool wouldn't at least account for the possibility of the unforeseen.

So far everything was going well. Nymara's approach was a bit rough, but that was within Akemi's expectations given her apprentice's preferences and talents. The fire slayer was probably never going to become a stealth specialist, and forcing the issue would only stunt Nymara's growth. As it was this exam was just a way to remind the redhead that brute force couldn't resolve all issues, if only because sometimes secondary objectives would get in the way. As long as Nymara showed that she was capable of adapting to the situation and abandoning her preferred methods when necessary Akemi would consider this exam a success.

From above Lucky would have a hard time seeing what was going on inside the forest: the trees were both big and grew quite close here, and as Nymara travelled deeper the visibility from above only grew worse. If it wasn't for Nymara's bright red hair she would be impossible to track at all, but as it was the exceed would see flashes of red occasionally, enough to help him keep track of his partner even if the details of her mission eluded him.

Nymara's approach to the camp would reveal more information to her. While the captives were all bound and contained within the makeshift prison they didn't seem injured beyond the occasional bruise and a ruffled appearance which most likely was the result of getting dragged into the depths of the forest without warning. The bandits did snarl warnings at any captive who got too close to the silver threads that formed the boundaries of the prison, but that was about the extent of it.

More important information was the magic she felt emanating from several of the bandits. Of the three forming a circle around one of the campfires the one who was standing and looking around had greater magic power than Nymara herself, and the same went for one of the ones sitting and focusing on something. The third, also seated, was a bit weaker than Nymara, although the difference was minor.

One of the four bandits guarding the prisoners also contained enough magic power that for the fire slayer to overwhelm him would most likely require most of her reserves. Lastly, the bandit who was seated in front of his tent and nodding off was significantly weaker than her.

With two mages possessing more brute power, two of similar strength, and one weakling even if Nymara were to stop being stealthy and resorted to her natural style there was no guarantee she would be victorious. It would boil down to exactly what abilities these bandits possessed and whether their skill matched their magic reserves.

There was no reaction in the camp as Nymara left the treetops and dropped down onto the ground, approaching the tent in which one of the bandits was trying to unwind. The prisoners were more concerned with the armed thugs keeping them captive, and the bandits themselves were focused on the world beyond their perimeter, not what happened inside of it. Her scent was also covered by the stench of alcohol that wafted from the tent she'd chosen to approach, along with soft grunts and heavy breathing. Whoever was in there was completely ignoring the outside world, trying to achieve some inner piece with the assistance of copious amounts of alcohol.

When Nymara spoke up there was a short shriek, followed by someone fumbling around inside the tent as if searching for something. "Y-Yes, hold on a second!" Some more fumbling later and the back flap was undone from within, a large hand grabbing the tough fabric and pulling it aside as a burly man with dishevelled clothes stepped out to see what the fuss was about. His face was flushed and he reeked of alcohol, but when he spotted Nymara his eyes widened quickly and he reached for the dagger at his waist. "Y-You! Who are you!" His rough voice quickly rose, and if Nymara didn't act quickly the man might end up alerting the rest of the encampment with his flustered shouting.

While the fire slayer was dealing with the drunkard the man who was seated in front of his tent opened one eye, then the other. Sighing, as if already knowing that what came next would be a nuisance, he pushed himself upright, checking whether his crossbow was still locked and loaded before walking over to the campfire where the three magic users were gathered. As he joined them his voice was low, and it was only a combination of Nymara's sharp hearing and the wind that allowed her to pick up some details.

"Ty... sleep... post..."

Current Appearance:

WC: 906
    PWC: 5,783
    TWC: 12,541

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 9th September 2023, 2:12 pm

Well, it appeared as though the man inside had taken the bait! Nymara prepared herself as she heard the response, silently chuckling to herself as the man was clearly not expecting any kind of company. She almost envied him, as it was a well known fact by this point how much Nymara enjoyed alcohol to take off the stress, though she didn’t quite have the time to partake at the moment. Her current mission was far too important for her to get distracted by simple pleasures, but that didn’t mean the temptation wasn’t there. Especially with how strong the smell was, she genuinely wondered what kind of brew these bandits had. Of course Nymara didn’t really have a ton of time to ponder that question, as before long a thick hand opened the tent-flap and an even larger man stepped out to find the source of the commotion. He only had time to see the redhead and spout a few words before Nymara sprung into action, releasing a quick punch straight into the man’s groin! Following up her first strike Nymara then leaped over the much larger bandit and sat upon his shoulders, locking her legs around his body and covering his mouth and nose with a free hand while the two tumbled into the dirt! Using her other hand Nymara quickly clamped down one of the bandit’s arms, leaving only his free hand to flail about desperately. “Shhh! It’s time to go to sleep, big guy.” Nymara grunted under her breath as she struggled to keep the larger man contained. While it was true that her slayer magic gave her unnatural physical strength, that didn’t mean every confrontation was a cakewalk. The girl was visibly sweating from strain, though her smirk never left her face. 

Eventually the struggling and muffled yells would fade as enough oxygen had been cut from his system to cause the bandit to fall unconscious. Looking at the man curiously Nymara slowly released her hold and let his body slump to the ground. “Damn… Tougher than I thought..” She would pant under her breath. Taking one last look around to make sure nobody had heard their little bout Nymara would quickly get back to her feet. Looking at the fallen bandit reminded her that his companions may come looking for him. With a sigh Nymara had an idea, but it wasn’t ideal. 

“Nghh.. What kind of rocks did you eat?” The firebrand grunted as she dragged the larger bandit’s body closer to the treeline behind the tent. While it wasn’t a perfect hiding spot Nymara didn't exactly have a ton of time, or privacy for that matter. The best she could do was put the bandit’s sleeping body in some bushes just outside the camp, hoping she would be finished her mission before he woke or was found by his companions. With one more strenuous grunt the girl rolled the man down a small ditch into a patch of bushes. With a satisfied sigh the redhead would turn back to the rest of the camp. “Two down… A lot more to go.” She would mutter. Of course the first thing Nymara did was explore the tent with the booze. The smell was even stronger and more ripe in the air within this small confined space, and it nearly set Nymara’s senses alight! However, she shook the thought and looked at the source, the half-empty bottle that was sitting on a small table. With an innocent smile Nymara picked up the bottle and playfully tossed it from hand to hand, observing the label closely. “60% eh? This some pretty strong stuff… And highly distracting.” She then turned to look at the tent canvas that surrounded her. A dark smile then formed across her lip. 

The magical auras in the area would getting easier to pick out now that Nymara had gotten closer. She could tell that a few of these people were definitely no push-overs when it came to magic, as some of their power even rivaled her own! One man in particular appeared to have more, and Nymara silently wondered if this was the leader she had heard about. This certainly made things more interesting, as the firebrand wasn’t sure that if push came to shove she’d even be able to handle all these wizards at once. Even taking them out 1 on 1 could prove to be challenging, given how close their magic power was to hers. She needed to be smart about this. Divide and conquer. The firebrand knew the only way she could save the hostages without initiating a full fight would be to pick them off one at a time like she had been doing thus-far. But that meant she needed to separate them. Thankfully her most recent friend had given her some inspiration. 

Grabbing the half-empty bottle of alcohol the slayer quickly made her way back to the shadows of the treeline, before scaling a trunk once more while keeping the bottle fastened between her fanged teeth. She could hear sparse conversation from the other bandits, though they were too far to make out anything clear. For now she just had to use this moment of distraction to her advantage, so she could create her own. While they were all gathered near the central campfire Nymara would leap from tree to tree, pouring a little bit of the bottle’s contents on some of the tents. Her choices weren’t random however, as Nymara seemed to be deliberately pouring the alcohol on tents that were spread out from each-other and on opposite sides of the encampment. “Seems like a waste, but it’s for a good cause.” Nymara muttered to herself as the bottle was nearly empty by this point. Nymara finished off the bottle herself by drinking the tiny bit that was left after she finished pouring it on the last tent. “Now… Let’s see how you all react to this. And don’t be afraid to show off your magic..” Nymara snickered to herself as she watched the camp from above, still hiding in the trees. She would aim her fingers at her targets and take a deep breath. 

Half-way through the conversation between the wizards one of the tents would spontaneously catch fire! Its canvas was burning from some unknown fuel source, but the fire was spreading over the tent nonetheless! Then another one on the other side of the camp! Then another on the far side! Random tents would appear to catch on fire for seemingly no reason, but they were too spread out! Nymara eagerly watched from the shadows, anticipating the actions of the bandits. With luck they would split up to deal with this sudden crisis before the fires spread too far, in which case she would be given a very slim window of opportunity to assess their magic and take them out one at a time in this moment of distraction! Thankfully the fires Nymara started weren’t big enough to cause any real harm to the forest, though that could certainly change if any of them were left unattended long enough by the bandits. She wondered how they would react, and the firebrand was prepared to pounce in response…

1189 Words | PWC: 7656/2000 | TWC: 13730

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 18th September 2023, 9:37 am

The man's eyes watered when, before he'd even had a chance to do much more than be surprised, suddenly he was struck in his most vulnerable spot. Bending over he clutched his groin, unable to do more but let out some gurgling groans even before Nymara cut him off by grabbing him from behind and silencing him with her hand. While the man did try his best to struggle the extreme agony he was experiencing combined with the awkward position he was in meant he could only really flail about, unable to shake off his assailant or focus enough to think clearly. As Nymara's hand prevented him from breathing he'd slowly become weaker and weaker until eventually he collapsed, blissful oblivion taking him away from the agony and the panic.

Of course, such close proximity to the bandit meant that Nymara also got a nose full of the scent of sweaty drunkard, assailing her enhanced senses. As a trained fighter and someone more than a little accustomed to the temptations of alcohol it might not faze her that much, but it would still be a relief when she could finally let go of her victim and instead move him somewhere quiet that he wouldn't be found.

Thanks to her cautious approach so far nobody appeared to have noticed the struggle. The man standing at the campfire with two others was still talking to the other who had approached him, his voice annoyed. The other man nodded before placing two fingers at his temple and focusing. One of the two bandits who were making more stakes to help fortify the camp blinked and let the stake drop, leaving the other swearing and cussing loudly. However, he quieted down as the first bandit said something, then stood up and headed over to the campfire which was now becoming quite busy with five bandits present.

This distraction did, however, give Nymara time to carry out her plan. While the bandit standing tall talked to the other bandit, mentioning the same things as the crossbow wielder, the fire slayer could make her way around the camp, stealthily dousing several tents with the strong alcoholic substance to make them flammable. Given that it had been summer for some time now and the weather had been very generous air was dry and the fabric was as well, so the alcohol would quickly drench it and make it much more susceptible to ignition.

By the time she was finished preparing the fifth bandit at the campfire had turned around and was walking towards the edge of the camp, heading straight in the direction from which Nymara had originally arrived... the direction of the guard post where she'd left her first victim unconscious. But before he could leave the camp the fire slayer's magic ignited the tent, making all the conscious bandits and their prisoners cry out in surprise. The leading bandit would immediately shout for someone to go and put it out, only to be interrupted when yet another fire broke out in a completely different location. Soon enough all around the edges of the encampment flames were dancing merrily, devouring the tents which had given birth to them and eagerly reaching out to attach themselves to anything else they could feed and grow from.

The prisoners all clustered together in their prison, as if doing so would prevent the flames from eventually reaching them. The bandits rushed over to the fires and tried to put them out but, with so many different fires erupting at the same time, fuelled by alcohol and dry fabric, find themselves unable to keep the situation under control.

The leading bandit then swore before raising his voice and shouting loud enough for everyone in the camp to hear.

"Everyone, down! Berk, put them out!"

Upon hearing these words the other bandits all dropped the ground almost immediately, except for one of the bandits who'd been sitting at the campfire, the one whose magic power was comparable to Nymara's. This one, looking rather nervous in response to the leader's command, nodded before placing his hands together and focusing. His magic power quickly surged,  and a flash of blue light would serve as a brief visual warning before his magic activated.

Out of nowhere, a massive torrent of water erupted from Berk's hands. With a loud roaring the water surged in every direction, smashing against trees and immediately soaking everything within the encampment. The tents closed to Berk were flattened, and the bandits only managed to avoid getting washed away by clinging to the ground, dirt turning into slippery mud. The prisoners, within their confinement, weren't quite so lucky: the water failed to destroy the silver threads that formed the prison, but the people inside got knocked into those threads, quickly wrapped up and struggling in a futile attempt to free themselves.

The explosion of water didn't last long, but once it was done the effects were very definite: all the fires were snuffed out, everything within the encampment was now drenched, and Berk was the only person left standing. Nymara's decision to remain in the trees had left her untouched by the deluge, but with all the fires extinguished so abruptly the rising steam clouds were now interfering with her vision of what was going on below.

"Lan you idiot! Tyron isn't asleep, he got taken out! There's someone here!"

The leader was the first to get up, looking around angrily as he pulled one of the nearby thugs upright. The sword that had remained sheathed at his waist so far now hovered in the air over his shoulder, following his movements flawlessly as he kept searching for the arsonist.

"Get up and go find them! Resmir and Lanith, as usual!"

One of the bandits who'd been watching over the prisoners before Nymara's stunt had alerted the entire encampment nodded and quickly cast a spell. Within seconds thick smoke rolled out from him, covering the camp entirely. The smoke was thick enough that even with Nymara's sharp eyes she'd have a hard time seeing anything but vague shapes, along with the cries of panicked prisoners before the leader of the bandits told them to shut up.

The bandits were moving around inside the smoke, which was now spreading out more slowly to shroud the area around the camp as well. Nymara's arboreal position had left her unnoticed for now, but another magic presence was now quickly approaching the camp. The fire slayer's senses would tell her that their magic power was weak, but at the same time they were moving awfully fast...

Her position in the shadows allowed Akemi to observe the escalation peacefully. Having merged with the shadows the water had left her untouched, although she'd now have to avoid emerging from any spot where the water had formed a small pool. Most of the water had soaked into the ground, turning the entire encampment into a muddy field, but there was plenty left for the moment.

She couldn't really blame Nymara for her decision either: driving the bandits into a panic and getting them to reveal their abilities wasn't a bad idea by any means. It was just unfortunate that when the guard had described Berk's water magic he hadn't meant that Berk was weak, but rather that the water mage had very little control over his vast reservoir of magic power.

She was curious how Nymara would deal with the new situation, where the bandits were on high alert and actively looking for her, but had yet to spot the fire slayer because of her being high up in the trees rather than down on the ground.

Current Appearance:

WC: 1,278
    PWC: 7,061
    TWC: 15,008

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 24th September 2023, 11:43 am

Well. That was certainly unexpected, although part of Nymara wondered if she should have foreseen such action. From her treetop vantage point Nymara hunched over, observing the camp with her draconic eyes and watching every little movement. Her smile had quickly faded when she noticed one of the bandits build up their magic energy, and then boom! In nearly an instant the entire encampment was filled with rushing water, soaking nearly every tent in sight! Nymara was lucky she was still up on her perch, otherwise she could’ve been swept away too! Of course it would have taken more than a wave to keep Nymara back, but she knew how hard it was to fight when her body was heavy and damp. A look of irritation flashed across the fire slayer’s face once she realized her plan didn’t fully manifest the way she had intended, but the girl was far from done. At least she knew who the water wizard was now. Nymara noticed the power behind the spell, but also its uncontrollable nature. While the water accomplished its goal of dousing all the fires, it didn’t really seem to do so with much precision or grace. Perhaps the wizard mirrored Nymara in a way, who also had trouble controlling her magic at times. 

Nymara didn’t have a ton of time to dwell on the subject however, as soon as the water finished its job a thick cloud of steam erupted as a result, nearly obscuring the entire camp from vision. Though her sharp hearing still picked up on the conversations between the bandits. It was obvious by this point that they knew someone was here, though luckily Nymara’s exact position and nature had yet to be discerned. If she was lucky she could keep it that way, but it would require a lot more guile. It seemed as though they were now fanning out to search for her, while another wizard produced a smokey fog to obscure themselves. Nymara chuckled to herself when she saw this. “Well, I certainly don’t mind the extra help.” She would snicker. Now Nymara had to adapt. Unfortunately her first plan didn’t go the way she hoped, and some of the hostages looked like they had gotten caught in the middle. Something that didn’t entirely sit right with the slayer. She would need to be more careful that her future actions didn’t inspire more recklessness among the bandits, otherwise she may lose some people. A prospect she figured the bandits wouldn’t care too much about, seeing as these folks were nothing but jewels to the brigands. Perhaps she could lure them further away, though she doubted they’d all be that gullible. Now she needed to adapt and think up a new plan, though thankfully the bandits looked like they were unintentionally helping her.

Once the smoke that had been produced by one of the bandits reached the base of Nymara’s tree the girl took a deep breath. “Didn’t need my eyes to find you guys before, why would I need em now?” She would mumble before stepping from her perch and descending back to the ground with a roll! Nymara was quick to enshroud herself with the smoke, though like before she kept her eyes tightly shut while she opened her other senses to the bandits. If she were lucky she might be able to take a few of them out thanks to this cover! Though something was beginning to tug at the slayer’s subconscious. She felt another presence on the way to the camp, and it was quick. It was coming from the same direction that she came in herself, was it just a coincidence? Nymara didn’t think so, but she had no time to worry about them right now. She had to take advantage of the situation the bandits had provided, and that meant softening them up as much as she could! 

With the smells of the bandits it was hard to tell who was who, especially since these were all new scents to the slayer, but Nymara was determined. First she would silently step through the camp, doing her best to avoid the footsteps and voices of the bandits while she traversed through the cloud. If she was going to do this, she needed to do it right. Nymara needed to ensure that any move she made against these thugs were swift and decisive. If she gave them any time to fight or struggle it would alert the others to her location. Speed was the name of the game, but also not getting caught. Nymara’s senses picked up movement near her, and she got ready to approach. For now the girl was content to take out lone targets, trailing the scent as quietly as she could. Finally, when it seemed like Nymara was very close she took a deep breath. One of the bandits would be ambushed as the fire slayer leaped through the smoke just behind him, Nymara quickly punching the back of his legs to force him to the ground before grabbing him by the hair on his head and slamming her knee straight into his face! He was a little bloodied from such an abrupt onslaught but otherwise knocked out cold. Not a magical bandit that’s for sure, though Nymara didn’t have much time to think about it as she quickly sunk back into the smoke cloud, leaving the bruised bandit to lay there unconscious.

Nymara continued on in a similar fashion, relying entirely on her sense of smell and hearing to navigate the thick cloud. She could still feel the magical power of the other bandits, so Nymara was careful to avoid the areas they were searching. She figured she would have a better chance at taking them out if their cronies had been dealt with first. Besides, a few even felt stronger than herself, so who knows what kind of fight she’d be getting herself into if she just challenged them now. Nymara ducked into a nearby soaking went tent just as she heard a few of the bandits approaching, waiting for them to pass before grabbing the one that lagged behind and pulling him in! The firebrand wouldn’t give the man any time to call out to his friends however, wrapping her arm around his mouth and quickly choking him out! And just as quickly as Nymara struck she had fled, leaving behind no evidence she was even there aside from another unconscious bandit. It was at this moment Nymara began to produce small amounts of smoke herself, to fog the area up even more. The girl than snagged another target, yanking him straight from the back of his collar and pulling him into the fog! This man was slightly lighter than his counterparts which made Nymara’s job easier as she lifted him over her head! The man only had enough time to yell before he was thrown against a nearby tree! If anyone came to investigate all they would find is yet another unconscious bandit in the smoke, and the perpetrator still on the loose. She was hunting them one by one, and it was clear Nymara was trying to instill some amount of fear and lack of confidence in anyone she could. By now there was no point in trying to hide the bodies of the bandits she had taken out, so she may as well leave them to cause fear and paranoia among their partners. 

Night was falling and a foreign sensation began to creep on Nymara. What was this feeling? She tried to shake it, though the fire slayer couldn’t help but feel some sort of tingling as the sky darkened. She shook her head, trying to get rid of the sensation and remained focused on the mission, though it only seemed to be growing the further the sun sunk on the horizon.

1312 Words | PWC: 8968/2000 | TWC: 16320

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 27th September 2023, 11:25 am

Akemi observed the situation from within the shadows, some concern rising in her mind as she took notice of the way the bandits were moving. For them to cover the entire encampment in smoke didn't make sense: if they were up against a single troublemaker they'd have a harder time finding her than she would have finding them, especially since she probably already had an idea of where they were. Yet their movements didn't seem confused or disorderly (at least, no more than one might expect from a bunch of criminals). They were spreading out throughout the camp without any of them stumbling across tents or stakes or anything else that should have been an obstacle in such thick smoke.

The assassin hoped that Nymara was also paying attention to this. While these were mere criminals they had managed to raid a train and kidnap all the high-value passengers, so they weren't completely worthless. The fact that their leader had more magic power than Nymara should already be a good indicator of this, as one didn't obtain such power easily.

But for the moment it was up to Nymara to figure out what the bandits were doing and how she should deal with them. And it looked like her apprentice had decided to use the smoke to her advantage, abandoning her position up in the tree to sneak about inside the dark clouds that shrouded everything. Akemi remained inside the shadows, but expanded her domain as she suspected that she might have to get involved quickly if things went wrong from here.

Nymara's sharp senses allowed her to mostly ignore the smoke: her eyes might be next to useless, but she could still hear the movements and the voices of the bandits, feel the ground underneath her feet, and smell the tents, the campfires, and both the bandits and the hostages. If she didn't have these enhanced senses she would've been in serious trouble, as it didn't take long before the smoke had become so thick that she could barely see a meter in front of her. Even her own feet disappeared behind the rolling grey that obscured her vision on all sides.

Her first target went down without much of a struggle, only letting out a short cry before Nymara's knee found his face and knocked him out cold.

However, that was also when the trouble started. If she was still paying attention to the other bandits she'd notice that the moment she attacked her first prey their behaviour all shifted: after coming to a halt for a couple of seconds they all began to move towards her, slowly but surely forming a web around her current position which become smaller and tighter. Their movements were cautious, but despite her swift and secure takedown of the bandit now lying on the ground they had somehow figured out that their opponent was there.

Hiding inside of the drenched tent she'd hear the closest group pass her by, moving towards where their comrade had fallen. None of them reacted to her presence, right up until the point where she grabbed the one in the back. As if one person the rest of the group turned around, raising their weapons as they yelled out that they'd found the intruder. The man inside Nymara's grip wasn't in a position to fight back, but he furiously twisted his head until he managed to lock eyes with her, after which she'd hear the leader's voice in the distance.

"Don't let her escape! Res, move me in position!"

A strange magic resided inside the man's eyes even as Nymara choked him out, making them glow eerily amidst the fog that shrouded everything. His companions were quickly encircling her, still moving cautiously, so the slayer would have a short window to decide whether to try and disable this man entirely or to escape before she was trapped.

The magical presence she'd sensed before had now reached the camp, quickly heading for the position of the bandit who'd released the smoke screen. The most powerful of the bandits, the leader with the floating swords, was also there... until suddenly he disappeared. And if it weren't for Nymara's sharp senses and his strong magical presence she might not have been able to tell that he was now a mere dozen meters behind her.

Akemi tensed as she realised that Nymara was now in a really bad position. These bandits had some method of keeping track of one another within the fog, so even with her apprentice's admirably sneaky approach they could guess at her position by the bandits she disabled. Worst of all, somehow the leader had instantly moved from one point to another, cutting off Nymara's easiest point of escape.

For herself this would still be doable, as she was an expert at slipping in and out of heavily defended areas. For Nymara, however, she feared that there was little option left but to start fighting, unless she was even more resourceful than Akemi gave her credit for.

Current Appearance:

WC: 840
    PWC: 7,901
    TWC: 17,160

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 9th October 2023, 1:44 pm

Things kept progressing in an unanticipated direction for the firebrand. At least she was really being tested now, though what else should she have expected from her mentor? There was a rhythm to the movements of the bandits, and it didn’t appear to be entirely random. This didn’t sit too well with Nymara, it seemed the smoke they had produced themselves had some sort of magical charm to it that allowed the bandits to see through. That or another wizard was responsible for their suspicious movements. She was not oblivious to the change in attitude after she kneed her first target, and knew she was going to be extra careful going forwards as her senses were telling her that the bandits were encircling her last known position. 

This was reinforced when Nymara jumped on another bandit, pulling him into a nearby tent and attempting to take him out as fast as possible! Though the fire slayer was admittedly caught completely off guard when the man’s eyes looked straight at her and she heard another voice call off in the distance. Shit. They knew what she looked like now. Nymara’s heart quickened as she realized she was in very real danger of being caught and surrounded, and when the man’s eyes began to glow alarm bells screamed in Nymara’s head! She needed to improvise, and quick! While still maintaining her grip around the larger bandit the firebrand looked around the inside of the tent frantically until she saw something. One of the support poles was bending under the weight of the now damp  tent canvas, and it looked like it was going to give at any moment. With a quick motion Nymara slapped one of her hands over the man’s eyes and with a furious flame-induced kick the support was broken instantly, causing the heavy, wet tent to collapse on both of them! Nymara intended to use that moment of distraction and confusion to finish her target off by quickly suffocating his remaining air while they were both forced onto the ground with the heavy canvas on top weighing both of them down. “Nghh..  You all like smoke so much? Well how ‘bout I give ya some?” Nymara grumbled as she crawled out from underneath the tent canvas. With the rest of the bandits sure to hear that commotion Nymara needed a quick exit strategy, and that was to use an old but reliable trick of hers. With one hand a ball of black smoke began to form, growing larger and larger with each passing moment until Nymara was satisfied. Truthfully she didn’t know if this plan would work as well as she had hoped, seeing as the bandits were able to make their way through the fog that they had created themselves. However she had been willing to bet that this magical mist had different properties from her own black smoke, so what was the harm in trying? 

Finally when Nymara could hear and sense the bandits closing in she knew she was out of time! Looking at the ball of smoke in her hands Nymara furiously pushed it into the ground, causing a massive plume of thick, black, cloud to swirl out in all directions throughout this side of the camp, darkening the mist even more with its aggressive nature! Unlike the fog the bandits had created, Nymara’s smoke was much more literal. It was a struggle to breathe in, and very painful to navigate with your eyes open. She had noticed the magic within the bandits' eyes light up shortly after their leader had called out, so Nymara was willing to bet this could have been the farsight magic at work that she had heard about from the lookout. Now, within Nymara’s own smoke cloud at least, the bandits would find it difficult to keep their eyes open without the stinging pain causing them to water. 

With her own smokescreen in play Nymara made a move to get out of the trap! Taking advantage of the confusion she was sowing, Nymara used her senses to figure out where the leader was, and fled in the opposite direction! She didn’t wanna test her luck against him until more of his minions had been dealt with, as the firebrand could tell he was the strongest one here. With as much guile as Nymara could muster she slipped through the encirclement before ducking behind one of the other tents, quickly taking a small breather while the bandits were still searching through the smoke and fog to find the fallen tent. This was getting tough. Now they were aware and alert which would make the job a lot more annoying going forwards. Nymara chuckled to herself though, thinking that Akemi likely could have wrapped this thing up before any of them even noticed something was amiss. She couldn’t be as good as an extremely strong wizard who specialized in stealth, but she could make it more fun! 

While Nymara regained her bearings while still listening carefully for the movements of the others she noticed a strange feeling begin to creep up on her. A chilling sensation that crawled up her spine and into her head, and for some reason as the night progressed she couldn’t shake it. Nymara was nearly distracted by this feeling, her mind shifting away from the bandits as she felt the shadows growing closer. By now the sky had darkened, and what little light remained from the few campfires was heavily obscured by both the fog and smoke. “Wh.. What is this…?” Nymara grumbled to herself, shaking her head slightly but not getting rid of the sensation. The darkness around her seemed different. Entrancing, almost welcoming. Nymara breathed in and out, attempting to find her balance while the bandits continued combing the place for her location. Yet her struggle to maintain focus was apparent as the sensation only grew stronger! The redhead narrowly avoided the patrol of two more bandits in her brief state of distraction, causing her to inch backwards until her back hit a nearby tree on the camp’s edge. She had to move. She couldn’t be spotted again. She knew this and  yet… The shadows were just so enticing. So much so Nymara didn’t even notice her skin begin to darken as she was locked in a trance-like state with the shadows.  

1057 Words | PWC: 10025 | TWC: 18217

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 14th October 2023, 4:24 pm

While the man struggled to try and keep his eyes on Nymara he couldn't resist as she knocked down the tent, using the canvas to blind him and suffocate him to the point that his eyes rolled up and he lost consciousness. With his vision gone the bandits could no longer determine Nymara's exact location, but they knew enough that the net of bandits kept tightening around her location, especially now that the leader was also there, his sword making no sound as it floated next to him in preparation.

As the firebrand fought fire with fire, or rather, fought smoke with smoke, the addition of more literal smoke made several of the bandits cough as they covered their mouth and nose while stepping backwards to avoid inhaling more of it.

"The bitch made her own smoke!"

"She went that way!"

"Stay calm! Irvo will catch her if she tries to leave! Spread out and watch your backs!"

The leader's authoritative voice kept the bandits from panicking as Nymara escaped under the cover of her own smoke. Spreading out once more they moved more cautiously than before, now also constantly looking behind them so the fire slayer wouldn't have as easy a time sneaking up on one of them as before.

Whatever ability they had to find her didn't appear to help them as long as none of them could see her, so as Nymara moved behind the tents the bandits were left unable to do much but make their way through the whole camp, searching every nook and cranny to try and track down the red-headed assailant.

"Pell, prepare to disrupt."

Akemi watched from the shadows as the situation kept developing. With her quick thinking Nymara had managed to escape the snare of the circle of bandits, but that didn't mean she'd solved the problem. The bandits were going to keep searching until they found her, and if she tried to escape the camp she'd probably be hunted down as well. In truth it would have been better for the bandits if they'd dispelled the smoke screen so Nymara couldn't use it against them, but from the looks of it the leader didn't want to give up on it.

However, as it currently stood they were in a stalemate, and one which worked against Nymara. Eventually they'd find her, at which point her apprentice would be forced to either flee or try to take them all out. Akemi wouldn't have doubted that her apprentice would be able to pull off the latter if it wasn't for the leader and the one called Irvo: even now he was moving through the camp at high speed, mostly unhindered by the smoke even if he couldn't find Nymara.

Her musings were interrupted when she noticed something strange around Nymara. The shadows were... moving towards her. While the moving of shadows wasn't new to Akemi she wasn't the one responsible for this, and she also knew that none of the bandits could or would do this. And Nymara wasn't a shadow mage, which left... nobody.

Yet it was still happening, and as Akemi observed Nymara's body was changing as if trying to match the shadows. The assassin would have raised her eyebrows if her current form allowed for it. Curious as this phenomenon was, it was clearly also distracting Nymara, and even as the fire slayer got distracted by the shadows the bandits were closing in.

"Found her!"

The fast one appeared in front Nymara almost instantly, a dagger in each hand as magic coursed through his limbs, drastically increasing his physical abilities. From what Akemi had seen so far even Nymara would have a hard time keeping up with his movements even if she stopped trying to be stealthy.

With Nymara's position having been discovered all the bandits began to converge upon her once more, the leader calling out for Resmir to move him, promptly followed by him approaching the tree Nymara was currently standing against from the other side, blade at the ready. The spider mage in front of the firebrand didn't waste time waiting for his companions to arrive, immediately slashing at her shoulders with his daggers with the clear intent of weakening her so they could capture her alive.

With how tough Nymara was a simple dagger wasn't going to immediately disable her, but if the situation kept going like this Akemi would have to interfere. Given that she didn't want her apprentice to fail this test she wasn't going to act until the very end. While the situation was dire there were still moves Nymara could make: the vision, smoke, and illusion mages weren't moving much, as they had to focus on their magics. If Nymara could shake off the leader and the spider mage she might be able to turn the tides, and the shadows that were clinging to her might do the trick.

Current Appearance:

WC: 817
    PWC: 8,718
    TWC: 19,034

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 25th October 2023, 3:37 am

Nymara could hear the voices of the bandits ringing out as she made her daring escape, and she could certainly tell their leader was well disciplined enough to keep the others in line. Some of the bandits seemed to be on the edge of panicking from Nymara’s hit and run tactics, though thanks to Wyrode’s words they lost little of their cohesion, just immediate sight of the firebrand. Nymara wondered more about the man’s background, as he obviously sounded more experienced than the rest of these lot. Maybe she’d have the time to ask him, after him and the rest of his gang were dealt with of course. Though in her current predicament that was a moot point unless the fire slayer found a way to shake her pursuers. Her smoke trick bought her some time but the thugs were determined and wouldn’t let it be enough to lose them.

As the girl found a temporary refuge behind the tree the call of the darkness grew ever deeper. It enveloped nearly all her focus as Nymara gazed longer into the shadows. They seemed to move and twist around her in unnatural ways, fusing to her body in a ritual most enigmatic to the firebrand! Her heartbeat rang within her ears, growing louder with each passing moment as her skin darkened to ash and her vibrant red hair was suddenly sapped of light, succumbing to the same darkness that was taking the rest of her body. “A- Akemi… What are you.. Doing.?” Nymara muttered as she felt herself slipping into the shadows. This had to be her, right? Who else could use shadow magic in such a way? 

Her distracted state didn’t last forever though, as in one instant the girl felt her senses rushing back to the world when her position had been discovered and the bandit called out to the others! Damn it! How could she be so careless to let herself be found so easily? Nymara had no time to think about her actions however as two daggers came rushing towards her on both sides! Instinct kicked in and the girl raised both arms instantly, aiming to try and catch the man’s wrists before the blades found their mark! However, just as it looked like Nymara had failed to counter in time the bandit’s weapons harmlessly passed through the girl’s torso, as if he had just attacked a shadow! In one moment she was there, but the next the girl had simply vanished from view! It was only then Nymara came into full realization of the changes to her body, quickly glancing down to find nothing but incorporeal darkness where her chest and limbs were! Not wanting to waste this opportunity the girl quickly phased through the man, using the darkness to fade away from view! Nymara felt a rush of exhilaration as her body seemed weightless, the shadow-form giving the firebrand unnatural speed within the darkness and blending her body to the appearance of dark matter to better take refuge in the shadows. 

A million questions began to run through her mind as the girl tried getting used to this new state of being, but Nymara tried to remain vigilant at the same time, remembering she still had a mission to do. Using the new speed the girl skirted the edge of the camp, attempting to once again escape the clutches of the bandits just before their leader descended upon her. Nymara figured she really needed to cut off the bandits from one another, and that meant taking out their support. The farsight wizard had already nearly cost Nymara the mission once, she wasn’t about to let that happen again. Rushing through the night Nymara’s new abilities allowed her to make her way through the camp with relative ease and stealth, much to her own surprise! Still, the girl wasn’t going to waste this power and she needed to exploit it while she could! 

First she needed to clear the air a bit. The magical smoke that the bandits had used to cover the camp still lingered, obscuring much of what Nymara herself could see. While it was true she could still use her slayer senses to navigate, the girl could focus much better with her eyes open and alert. With any luck this smoke mage could be near the farsight wizard. With this much fog still lingering over the camp she figured the wizard wasn’t super mobile right now, unlike the rest of the goons that were searching for her. Darting between and over tents the girl tried to lock down the different smells and sounds, trying to find ones that weren’t moving too much. Thankfully most people had different scents, making her job much easier. After a few moments the girl found a target she was satisfied with and followed the trail straight to her prey, taking full advantage of the night-form to sneak up on the unsuspecting wizard. “I gotta thank her for this after.” She snickered to herself. 

835 Words | PWC: 10,860/2000 | TWC: 19,869 

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 29th October 2023, 6:29 am

Nymara's words, along with her behaviour, made it clear that she wasn't doing this intentionally, in fact believing that it must have been her mentor who was responsible for this strange development. Akemi, however, did nothing but watch, as curious as her apprentice about the strange way that the firebrand's body was mingling with the shadows even if she had a better idea of what the cause might be. Under different circumstances she might immediately have intervened to study it more thoroughly, but even this unexpected development wouldn't put a stop to the ongoing exam, or the hostage situation that Nymara was supposed to take care of.

The bandits weren't inclined to back down either, as proven by the one who found Nymara and immediately tried to incapacitate her with his daggers. With blurring speed the sharp metal cut through the air, only to find that their intended target wasn't as easily cut. The bandit almost stumbled as he found no resistance to his slashes, and by the time he recovered he could only raise his blades in a defensive posture as Nymara's shadowy form moved right through him as if he didn't exist at all. Even as he turn around he swung his blades, intending to strike at his opponent at the earliest opportunity, but once again his daggers found no flesh, as Nymara had wisely taken the opportunity to escape the grasp of the bandits once more and disappear into the smoke.

"She can turn into shadows!"

"But she also used smoke didn't she?"

"Everyone remain on guard! If she can use more than one magic none of you can take her alone!"

The leader turned away from the spot Nymara had disappeared from, his voice loud enough to override all the others.

"Irvo, go and get the others! Pell, how's that disruption coming along!"

"Almost ready!"

The illusion mage's voice seemed warped as it travelled through the air, making it difficult to figure out the origins. That said, the three magic-capable bandits who were responsible for the chaotic situation throughout the camp were all close to the centre, where the captives were still trapped within the cage formed of silver threads. That they were sticking close together made their combined magic presence stand out even in the midst of all the fog, giving Nymara a beacon to focus on as she searched for them.

The one with the daggers quickly disappeared from the camp, heading out in response to the leader's command. This left the leader and the magicless bandits to once again slowly make their way through the camp, sticking close together to avoid Nymara picking them off one by one. The leader's movements remained steadfast and confident, his floating sword now flying around to investigate potential hiding spots by itself.

As Nymara moved towards the one responsible for all the smoke she'd sense the buildup of magical power from one of the other mages, and a familiar acrid scent entered her nose. The illusion mage was building up to something big, taking his time to carefully craft a spell of significant power and complexity.

Current Appearance:

WC: 519
    PWC: 9,237
    TWC: 20,388

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 2nd November 2023, 3:34 pm

Nymara wasn’t exactly sure what the cause was behind this new ability, but she was going to make sure to exploit it to its fullest potential if she could! After all, part of being a good adventurer meant being able to think on your feet! Of course threw was a lingering fear in the back of her mind that this unexpected event could have some unforeseen side-effects, as magic was always unpredictable. Still, she couldn’t focus on what might happen in the future, she needed to remain alert in the present! Thankfully it appeared as though her new form did a decent job of confusing her opponents but as expected they weren’t going to give up on her just yet. Nymara was careful to keep an ear open, listening to the leader bark his orders so that she could more effectively counter them. It may have been one of her only advantages in this situation, being able to keep her plans within her mind while the bandits constantly had to call out to each other. Of course they had some magic to help remedy this, which was why Nymara was intent on finding that farsight mage soon. 

Successfully giving them the slip Nymara moved forwards with her plan, trying to feel the magic of the other wizards in order to stop their plan in its tracks. The leader had ordered the preparation of some sort of disruption spell, and to top it off the bandits from the lookout points were being recalled to help deal with Nymara’s intrusion. Time was more important now more than anything, and she couldn’t waste any more by picking them off one at a time. She needed to find that disruption mage and stop him quickly! Thankfully the preparation of a powerful magic spell can seldom be done in secret, and Nymara’s senses soon attuned to the build up of magical energy near the center of the camp. She had no idea what this “disruption” spell was going to do, but she didn’t want to sit by and find out. Now was the time to strike, while most of the bandits were still separated!

With the help of the darkness and her newfound speed Nymara carefully but quickly made her way close to the center, darting between the tents and smoke until she found her prey. The smoke could wait, as the firebrand was growing increasingly nervous about the build up of magic coming from the illusion wizard. She was close now, very close. Thanks to the shadow-form Nymara had been able to sneak near the hostages, attempting to get behind the illusion master! When she finally saw him through the fog and smoke Nymara clenched her fists and prepared, though unfortunately that was also when her new power seemed to wear off. Her body was now more solid than it had been before, yet she still retained the darkened skin and hair. Nymara was curious about it, but now that she was easier to spot she needed to move in quickly! Knowing that the farsight wizard was also likely close meant that she needed to take them out without them seeing her, so she came up with a strategy! 

As Pell continued his concentration Nymara leaped out of the fog once more, one hand filled with dark smoke as it erupted on all sides to mask her fast approach! Once Nymara got within striking distance she performed a quick leg sweep, intending to knock the illusion wizard to the ground! Attempting to give him zero time to recover Nymara followed up with a heavy punch straight into the gut with enough force to incapacitate anyone for an extended period of time! If that worked the girl would instantly focus up on the other magic signatures nearby, to which she would dart forwards with such unnatural speed! It appeared as though as long as Nymara stayed in the darkness she felt quicker and stronger! Her shadow-form may have worn off though it appeared as though there were some side effects! They just didn’t seem as sinister as Nymara had expected. 

Once Nymara sensed she was close to her second target she circled to their backside, hoping that the new smoke was keeping them distracted enough! “Haha! Heads up!” Nymara yelled shortly before her hand gripped the back of one of the wizard’s necks while her other dug into his clothing! With the strength no human possessed Nymara quickly attempted to lift her opponent over her head and throw them directly at the third target with enough speed to break some bones, the farsight wizard! In the span of only a few moments Nymara had attempted to cut out three of the bandit’s support mages, and she knew they wouldn’t be happy about that.  

798 Words | PWC: 11,658/2,000 | TWC: 21,136

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 6th November 2023, 2:52 pm

With Nymara's strange shadowy transformation in full effect the bandits were left with little choice but to watch one another's backs while combing the encampment once more, cursing and swearing as the intruder seemed to have an endless bag of tricks to escape her just comeuppance. The leader with his floating sword kept them in line, but the smoke was hindering them as much as it helped, now that Nymara had slipped from their grasp and apparently had revealed some new means to move about unhindered.

From inside the shadows, Akemi could keep track of her apprentice even if the bandits couldn't, as Nymara's strange new ability only made her more visible to someone like the dark assassin who was closely attuned with all shadows. After this exam, they'd have to look into how Nymara ended up being able to assimilate herself into the shadows, and the assassin was already considering how much influence this development should have in future training. From what she could tell it wasn't like Nymara had a talent for shadow magic: this ability was more instinctive and isolated. It also didn't suit Nymara's usual style, although that was an issue that Akemi had already been working on so far by teaching the firebrand to focus more on skill and strategy than raw strength.

Still, having multiple tools available could prove to be invaluable, and she imagined that Nymara herself would also want to learn about this new ability of hers and how to make use of it. Even if Akemi doubted that it would become a core of the fire slayer's style some training so she could use it properly when necessary wouldn't go amiss.

For now, she watched as Nymara quickly approached the three mage bandits who'd been trying to help capture the intruder through their magical talents. The smoke mage was moving bandits throughout the camp, his breathing growing heavier as relocating his allies through his smoke combined with keeping the entire encampment covered started to burn through his stamina. The farsight mage was quiet, his own eyes closed and his hands on his crossbow even as he kept the bandits all connected.

The illusion mage, Pell, was visibly hurrying his magic, muttering incantations to himself as between his hands an increasingly elaborate symbol began to take shape. As the symbol advanced so did the magic power rise, a clear beacon for Nymara to target within the time window she had before the illusion mage finished his spell and whatever advantage she'd gained through her sudden shadow form would most likely be lost.

Fortunately Nymara's enhanced physique allowed her to get the drop on the illusion mage first. Her leg sweep caught him by surprise, the man letting out a surprised yell as the spell he'd been preparing fizzled out, the condensed magic power pushing outwards in a ripple that stirred the smoke but achieved nothing beyond that. It certainly wouldn't be enough to save Pell from Nymara's follow up strike, her fist sending the man flying until his body smacked into a tree and he hit the ground groaning and curled up.

Pell's sudden takedown had the bandits spooked, all of them now heading for where the illusion mage had fallen. Before the smoke mage could bring them all in to gang up on Nymara, however, he suddenly felt her hands grabbing him and lifting him up. He only had time to curse before he was sent flying, smashing into the farsight mage who'd already been lifting his crossbow to aim at the shadow-imbued fire slayer. The farsight mage managed to pull his crossbow out of the way in time to avoid his companion colliding with it, but the two ended up tumbling across the ground, their magic dispelled as the efficient if brutal methods Nymara employed put them out of commission.

With the three mages disabled the smoke quickly began to fade away, leaving only the patches of dark smoke that Nymara had produced herself but which were also quickly dispersing. The bandit leader grit his teeth as he saw the intruder next to the bodies of three of his most valuable and trusted minions, his floating sword quickly spinning into position.

"You should've run when you had the chance! Get her!"

The bandits seemed rather disoriented as their linked vision had been cut off, but quickly regained their bearings and all turned their focus to their single opponent. Daggers, swords, and axes were brought forth, and two of the bandits lifted crossbows to take aim.

But they were all small fry compared to the leader himself. His sword shot straight towards Nymara with such speed that the blade cut the air, a sharp whistle following the metal projectile aimed at Nymara's stomach. The leader himself wasn't far behind, his speed not far behind Nymara's own speed and that of the double-wielding bandit who'd left the encampment to gather the guards. Pulling two daggers from his waist the smaller blades spun around him, forming two rings of sharp steel that crossed one another at the front and at the back.

Nymara had been successful in getting rid of the three mages, but now there would be little opportunity left for subterfuge or subtlety unless she managed to somehow surprise both Akemi and the bandits once again.

Current Appearance:

WC: 885
    PWC: 10,122
    TWC: 22,021

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 19th November 2023, 1:29 pm

Thankfully it seemed as though most of Nymara's plans seemed to work without any major hitches! The wizards were far too distracted trying to concentrate on their own spells that they had no idea Nymara was sneaking up right behind them! Thanks to her new shadow-form there was little that could halt her advance as she made her way through the camp mostly unhindered. While her final few takedowns weren’t exactly subtle, they did accomplish her goal of stopping the illusion mage from preparing his dispelling ritual, but of course it also caused another issue: While she had also taken down the farsight wizard and the fog maker that now meant said fog was vanishing. Now Nymara was left exposed in the middle of the camp close to the hostages, her long vibrant red hair now a deep black along with the ashen grey skin-tone that now covered her body. 

Now that she was out in the open Nymara could feel her anxiety start to rise, especially when the bandit leader finally took notice of her, along with his cronies. Turning to face him directly Nymara gritted her teeth, knowing now the jig was up. It was a valiant effort to keep the bandits divided and scared but she wasn’t as good as Akemi. It wouldn’t have lasted forever, anyways. Now Nymara was quite literally the only thing standing between these hostages and the bandits, and she aimed to keep it that way. Giving her little more than a cocky remark the bandit leader ordered his men to engage and Nymara prepared herself. “HA! I think I made the more entertaining choice.” Nymara chirped in response with a fanged grin. “Sorry Akemi, there may be a small light show after all…” She mumbled to herself, getting into her battle stance. 

While Nymara would usually relish the thought of rushing forwards to meet the leader, her mind was divided among the hostages behind her. If she was too wild or careless they could be hurt by the bandits or worse, burned by her. She’d need to play this carefully. Her senses kicked in the moment the crossbows were launched, giving Nymara barely enough time to react as the leader charged forwards straight to her with magical blades in hand! Finally the heat Nymara had been hiding this entire mission began to show itself, her arms igniting with rushing fire as she leaped above the attacker as he charged, acrobatically avoiding the piercing strike from his blade and the two crossbow bolts by mere milliseconds while she spun over him! Her heartbeat quickened as she sensed the magical power her foe possessed, signaling to the firebrand this was not going to be an easy duel. 

As she landed behind her attacker with a roll Nymara didn’t waste a breath before she would release a wide fiery kick in the direction of the other bandits, dispatching a controlled arc of flames that extended in a wide berth! Even if that didn’t stop them from harassing her it would be a decent temporary distraction. In that moment she’d spin to face the leader once more, his spinning barrier of blades making her usual up close fighting style difficult in this instance. Knowing she didn’t have time to waste Nymara would rush forwards, leaping up in the air and charging a flaming fist! However when she came down no fire or explosion ever came, instead it all disappeared around Nymara’s fist as she slid on the dirt beneath the ring of swords, attempting to grab hold of her opponent’s leg in the process! It was a fake out, but a calculated one. A fiery assault close to the hostages would surely cause harm, so even in battle Nymara needed to be precise! Even if she had been fully spotted by this point there was no reason to burn caution just yet. Not when her life was far from the only one at stake. 

658 Words | PWC: 12,316/2,000 | TWC: 22,679

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 26th November 2023, 7:36 am

With the smoke dispersing it was easy for everyone to see that Nymara was now distinctly different from before, her healthy skin turned ashen and her fiery mane of red hair turned dark as the night. It wasn't unusual for enhancement magic to also affect appearance, which prevented the bandits from becoming intimidated by the change. Akemi, however, could see further into the change than them, and if it wasn't for the fact that she currently was inhabiting the shadows she'd have smirked.

The bandit who went by the name Irvo had already reached one of the guard posts, his absurd speed making him an excellent scout and messenger on top of his formidable combat abilities. Akemi could both watch Nymara take on the encampment and the spider mage zipping between the trees, wondering if maybe she should give Nymara a little help in keeping that man from joining the fight before her apprentice had taken care of the boss. To take down the boss would already be a significant task, but to do it while that man was also assailing her was possibly a bit more than she could reasonably expect her apprentice to handle.

It was a good thing that Nymara had at least disabled the smoke mage: Akemi could tell that after the boss and the spider mage he would have been the most trouble. The rest of the bandits, while possessing some useful tricks in their own right, should not be able to stand up against Nymara in an actual fight.

With her speed Nymara successfully dodged the crossbow bolts and the telekinetically controlled sword which had sought to pierce her, the boss quickly spinning around to face her once more as the flying sword came to an abrupt halt, like it had struck an invisible wall. It then quickly swept around the boss in a wide arc, so fast that you could see it leave behind a steel-blue trail for just a moment. Fortunately Nymara's roll and fire kick put her low enough that the sword went over her head, giving her time to recover and face the boss once again.

The bandits, suddenly faced with a wave of flame, cried out as they tried to either duck to the ground to evade or jump behind whatever cover was available. The exception was the one whose magic power almost equalled that of the boss, who put up his hands and desperately tried to cast his magic. Before he could finish casting the flames washed over him, his spell disrupted together with his concentration as he fell to the ground, rolling around to try and put out the flames that licked at his clothes.

Some of the other bandits weren't much better off, having been too slow or trusting fragile tents as cover in the face of Nymara's draconic fire. Those who'd hit the ground fast enough or who'd been close enough to a tree escaped relatively unscathed, one of them busy reloading his crossbow while the others tried to cautiously approach while clearly afraid that another wave of fire would catch them if they were careless.

The boss, clearly an experienced combatant, was already waiting when Nymara rushed in this time. His sword came to his hand, fingers tightening around the hilt as magic flowed from him into the blade and back, as if the metal weapon was an extension of his body. He anticipated Nymara's attack, but when he swung his blade with such force and speed that it summoned a gust of air he found that his opponent had pulled a fast one on him, sliding underneath his attack and his blade barrier to grab him by the leg.

"You little-!"

The two spinning daggers came to an abrupt halt, their tips pointing straight at the firebrand before slicing through the air in an attempt to stab her before she could finish whatever she was planning to do with the boss's leg. The muscles in his arms also went taut as he stopped his immense swing, signalling that Nymara only had a split second to pull off her plan before a downwards slash threatened to split both her and the ground in two.

Current Appearance:

WC: 700
    PWC: 10,822
    TWC: 23,379

@Nymara

Character|Magic
    Nymara
    Nymara

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nymara 6th December 2023, 7:37 pm

The commander was quicker than he looked, that was for sure! Thankfully the same couldn’t exactly be said for all his minions, and it appeared as though many of them were preoccupied with the flaming arch Nymara had provided for them. At least her plan had partially worked to distract them, the firebrand knowing that taking care of the large sword man was going to be a lot more difficult if she needed to fend off constant attacks from his minions. Of course there was still the issue of the impending reinforcements, as Nymara had noticed the absence of the fastest bandit. Time was a more important resource than ever, and the girl knew she needed to wrap this up quickly otherwise she might find herself getting surrounded. As much fun as that sounded, Nymara knew it was not the most ideal outcome. Despite her usual arrogance even the fireslayer could understand when the odds were stacked against her, so she needed to do everything she could to make them more even before it was too late. And at this moment that meant dealing with this boss before his lackeys could make any more use of his leadership. He was obviously more skilled and competent than the rest, and Nymara wasn’t going to let him make use of his charisma if she could help it. 

She had caught him off guard with her trick, though his reaction timing was nothing to scoff at! Within an instant Nymara felt the air change as two floating daggers got into position to stab her just as she was sliding past his leg! Gritting her teeth in that split-second moment of time the fire slayer used her free hand to let loose a massive plume of fire, straight into the sky! With little options as she was on the ground the girl had hoped a flash-fire could knock the incoming daggers off their course, or possibly even melt them! As the woman completed her slide her arm dragged the man’s leg, revealing her intention to trip him to the ground before he could complete his slash, all of this happening within less than 3 seconds of time! 

Whether the plan worked or not Nymara would attempt to get back to her feet once she slowed down and spin with a fire-covered kick! Even though Nymara tried to keep it as controlled as possible, the grass around them caught flames as her foot made contact, prompting a somewhat awkward expression from the girl when she noticed. “Eheh! S- Sorry about that!” Nymara would apologize when she noticed some of the nearby hostages cowering from the heat of her attacks, though her face quickly changed back to a stern look when she turned back to Wyrode. 

It was only then that Nymara noticed the blood. Upon her waist was a deep red, staining her otherwise pure white coat. It appeared in her haste to counter, the wizard had managed to land a slash, even if it wasn’t too deep. Unlucky for Nymara, as soon as she noticed its existence the pain became real. “Nghhh… Nice one.” She’d mumble with genuine respect as she placed a palm over her abdomen and observed the dark colour upon her hands. Still, it was going to take a little more than a light gash to slow her down. For now she just needed to steel her nerves and ignore the pain… She just hoped this man didn’t have the foresight to poison his blades, her senses would remain sharp for any sign of infection. Even though she was tempted to let loose a breath attack she knew the collateral would be too much, so Nymara gritted her teeth as she was forced to hold back. Instead the girl would extend both arms and create a storm of fire around her hands. This fire extended in a whip-like fashion and before waiting too long she’d rush forwards and leaping, spinning in the air to create a fan of rushing flame as she closed in on her target! 

676 Words | PWC: 12,992 | TWC: 24,055

Current date/time is 7th May 2024, 7:41 pm