Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

The Cloak of the Librarian

DenizenBlue
    DenizenBlue

Player 
    Lineage : Commander's Aura
    Position : None
    Guild : Sabertooth
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 0

Character Sheet
    First Skill:
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

The Cloak of the Librarian Empty The Cloak of the Librarian

Post by DenizenBlue 12th July 2013, 12:56 pm

Name: Cloak of the Librarian
    Type: Cloak
    Description:
    Spoiler:
    Strengths:

- Can roll to block magical attacks up to A-Rank

Weaknesses:

- Does not block physical attacks (It's just cloth, at the end of the day)

- The "Research" ability cannot be used in combat.

Abilities:

The Librarian: Contained within the folds of this cloak is a vast lexicon of knowledge. A huge, deep library, with books on practically every subject. In addition, there is a Librarian, a semi-sentient, wood-make golem that serves as both the protector of the Library as well as its database. It knows how to find every book the Library has to offer, and will do so if asked by the wearer of the cloak. Anyone but the wearer who enters the cloak will be treated as hostile by the Librarian unless the wearer is with them. The Librarian cannot leave the Library, but can move about the Library swiftly, shifting through the shelves to find books requested by the wearer, or to hunt down “Unauthorized Users”. Nowhere near all of the books in the Library contain Word Magic, but Mercury has found a number of them.

Research: At any time, the wearer can withdraw into the Library to search for information. While they are in the Library, the cloak will flop to the ground and become a normal cloak. Note that they cannot cast spells from within the Library, and this cannot be done while in combat.

Spells:

Last edited by DenizenBlue on 16th July 2013, 6:24 am; edited 5 times in total
    NightDrivenEn7
    NightDrivenEn7

Administrator- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Dragon Slayer- Veteran Level 3- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Shadows of Anarchy
    Experience : 200

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Requip: Four elements.
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

The Cloak of the Librarian Empty Re: The Cloak of the Librarian

Post by NightDrivenEn7 13th July 2013, 1:22 pm

You are a D rank with an ARTIFACT?.....really? Okay; one- You have NO SPELLS for this thing or benefits. You can only have anything that is Weak and get the benefits for you. So this basically is just a slowly upgradeable weak piece of armor with no abilities, and just defenses.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"True Strength shall be shown, and the corruption of magic shall be broken."

Current EXP: 150

Informatio and Items:
    :

Jobs:
    :

Completed Missions:

Theme:
    :
    DenizenBlue
    DenizenBlue

Player 

Character Sheet
    First Skill:
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by DenizenBlue 13th July 2013, 1:42 pm

Ummm... KenshinTakeda and I both donated to the site, so we both got free artifacts. I'm not sure if his is approved yet, but neither of us was told that you had to be a certain rank to get an artifact.

Also, yes, I realized the cloak was incomplete, but I was running out of ideas for spells and effects when I posted it, so I posted it anyway in the hopes of getting some constructive criticism or ideas. I never intended this to be approved right off the bat.
    TacticalFallacy
    TacticalFallacy

The Undefined Formula

Moderator- Quality Badge Level 1- Veteran Level 1- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 2nd Place Event/Contest Winner- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Spirit Warrior
    Guild : Guildless
    Mentor : Master Hades (Deceased)
    Experience : 450

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Amaterasu Mudra Formula
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by TacticalFallacy 13th July 2013, 11:07 pm

I understand that donating to the site gives you some form of entitlement but in order to maintain the competitive balance of the RP, it is necessary that things like this have to be nerfed. Here's what I want:

First of all, the abilities/spells you have are all user-ranked, meaning for you they are D-rank. I'm sure you are aware of this part in the miscellaneous rules. It is thus necessary for you treat Re-stock and The Gap as if they are D-rank spells, with appropriate cooldown and duration and power.

Next, the armor will not protect you from A-rank due to your D-rank, as it is like expecting a ten-year-old child placed in American Football armor to be able to play. Your body simply cannot keep its footing or stability if anything B-rank or above were to come right at you, even if your armor can withstand it, so there is no automatic resistance for B-rank and above. This effectively turns the armor into Strong or Strong(+). Furthermore, C-rank may also push you back, but with this armor, you can roll block rolls to try and maintain your footing.

Also, this is armor, not a magic weapon. It does not amplify power, only defense. The rules state that clearly.

Also, the need to be Word Mage weakness is irrelevant because that is exactly what you are and thus it's just a weakness there to fill up space. Think of something else more relevant, maybe like as a cloak, someone can easily pull it off you if they can get their hands on it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Theme:
    Current Jobs:
    DenizenBlue
    DenizenBlue

Player 

Character Sheet
    First Skill:
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by DenizenBlue 14th July 2013, 9:53 am

Oh, no, I wasn't saying I wouldn't fix it. Christ, no, I was thoroughly expecting it to get a nerf; I'm studying game design, I know something about how to balance.

I will say that most of the things I put in here were suggestions and things that Kenshin told me were okay, which I believe he heard from Heero. More to the point, Kenshin's staff (which got approved: https://www.fairytail-rp.com/t4016-monkey-king-staff-kenshin-takeda ) has both offensive and defensive capabilities well exceeding his rank, so I assumed the same would hold true for me. I'm fine with making it only a defensive item, but I don't understand how his offensive weapon can do what it does and still be considered balanced.

I'll rework the cloak, though, I'm more than willing to do that.
    Haru-senpai
    Haru-senpai

Moderator- Regular VIP Status- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- Demon Slayer- Dragon Slayer- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Veteran Level 5- Veteran Level 4- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 1st Place Event/Contest Winner- Hero- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Monkey King's Descendant
    Guild : Fairy Tail
    Dungeon Tokens : 12
    Mentor : Igneel, & Noheme the Fox
    Experience : 11,106.25

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Fire Dragon Slayer Magic
    Second Skill: Dragon Force
    Third Skill:

Post by Haru-senpai 14th July 2013, 12:17 pm

I'd like to know why you guys are telling him things that are NOT in the rules? I'm asking Tact and Nightdriven here.

If he has a Artifact Armor; he gets all the benefits of it including the Resistance to A-Ranked spells as stated in the rules. If you have a problem with that; you have a problem with the Original Rules. However just because there is a personal opinion / problem with the rules; does not change the fact that he is within his bounds.

The only thing I see wrong with this is the fact that he has Magical Amplification as if it's a Weapon~

Denizen, go by the rules. Remove the Magical Amplification, otherwise. You're within the boundaries of the rules. And here are the rules.

https://www.fairytail-rp.com/t2735-v-misc-rules

× Bio
    × Magic

The Cloak of the Librarian Rose

DenizenBlue
    DenizenBlue

Player 

Character Sheet
    First Skill:
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by DenizenBlue 14th July 2013, 4:47 pm

Okay, thank you for the clarification, Heero-sama. I do want to make it clear to all of you that I didn't, and still don't, want to make the artifact OP, I just thought it was a neat idea that I wanted to use for my character. I'll make those necessary changes, though.
    TacticalFallacy
    TacticalFallacy

The Undefined Formula

Moderator- Quality Badge Level 1- Veteran Level 1- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- 2nd Place Event/Contest Winner- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by TacticalFallacy 15th July 2013, 1:23 am

Oh right, to the other staff, let's not turn DenizenBlue's app into an argument warzone. Leave that for the other place.

And to Denizen, I appreciate your candidness and I will try to get this approved as fast as possible.

Alright, I admit that I am totally fine with your cloak being able to naturally resist A rank spells, since it's an Artifact and all. However, I am not fine with anything that implies that it is an auto-block, because blocking everything A-rank and below automatically is just...well you get what I mean. Perhaps auto-blocking for the lower-ranks would be allowed but A-rank is really pushing it for me. Probably because I was paranoid, but I can only accept if it is just like Kenshin's weapon. You need to roll to block; that's the ideal. However, there is going to be some difficulty rationalizing rolling to block for your armor, given that as a full cloak, this armor does not exactly have any holes or gaps to slip spells in. It is difficult to imagine what happens when you fail your roll. Either 1. your armor suddenly reveals a hole you were not aware about, not an ideal RP scenario, 2. you lose your footing which I suggested earlier, 3. your face is uncovered, if the picture is anything to go by, and you get smacked in the face, once again not ideal for RP as it will mean all successful hits are going to be almost lethal, 4. the armor fails to block it and instead the force goes through the armor, pretty much causing your own armor to bash you about like a blender, which is impossible given your cloth. Tell me your ideas about such scenarios, since I'm starting to run out of ideas myself. -.- 

Next, I would like to remind you and thanks to Heero for the link, that while you don't get amplification from a weapon, you do still get a 70% passive magic defense from the armor, so do note that in the strengths, so while you do not get auto-block, there is at least something automatic/passive in your armor. So you are not getting the short end of the stick.

Next, I said this before and I'll say it again. the Miscellaneous rules Heero also state this, that the spells of your armor and weapons are Player-Ranked, meaning D-ranked for you. So once again, Restock and The Gap need to be D-ranked. I'm fine with Restock as it is though, but The Gap will need to be limited to the D-rank and even then, how you have it now is obviously a bit far-fetched. First of all, it's a one-hit KO/Trap attack. Just for one person and once per thread, yes, those are pretty serious limitations but not enough in my opinion to allow a one-hit KO. Place a duration for the spell, where enemies are expelled out after it ends, or maybe at the same time, allow yourself to enter the Gap to fight the enemy alone Tobi-style in case it is in a group fight. All I want for this is a time limit.

Theme:
    Current Jobs:
    DenizenBlue
    DenizenBlue

Player 

Character Sheet
    First Skill:
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by DenizenBlue 15th July 2013, 6:35 am

Ah, I hadn't caught that there was supposed to be a roll there. Hmmm... I think the best idea I heard was that I simply get knocked back if the roll fails, which is fine. Should I add that somewhere or is that something that should just come up in an RP?

And I was never fully happy with "The Gap" to begin with. I liked the idea of it, but I couldn't think of any way to use it in an RP that wouldn't be awkward. My character is a scrawny midget; bravery aside, him charging up to any foe would be kind of out of place. Maybe when I'm a higher rank and I can upgrade the cloak or something, but for now I'll think of a spell to take its place.
    DenizenBlue
    DenizenBlue

Player 

Character Sheet
    First Skill:
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by DenizenBlue 15th July 2013, 7:22 am

Okay, I made the changes you guys asked for, and I've got a replacement ability for "The Gap" (though I may end up bringing it back if I can add spells to this cloak somewhere down the line). I left part of it unfinished, though, because I had a question about Kenshin's defensive spell. His "Protect Protect" can block up to B-Rank spells and attacks, and given the confusion we had over the actual power of my Artifact I wasn't sure if I should assume the same could be true for my cloak.
    DenizenBlue
    DenizenBlue

Player 

Character Sheet
    First Skill:
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by DenizenBlue 16th July 2013, 5:31 am

Bumping for review!
    TacticalFallacy
    TacticalFallacy

The Undefined Formula

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by TacticalFallacy 16th July 2013, 5:37 am

Alright, roll to block is good. The general description of the cloak is accepted.

As for the spell Defense Protocol, it's a short duration with a long cooldown, as well as quite a big backfire, so I can accept B-ranked or below spells. Do note though whether a person can physically enter the bubble in order to pummel you and note the aura as being able to shield others nearby as well.

Theme:
    Current Jobs:
    DenizenBlue
    DenizenBlue

Player 

Character Sheet
    First Skill:
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by DenizenBlue 16th July 2013, 6:26 am

Okie dokie loki, all done! Bumping for review yet again!
    TacticalFallacy
    TacticalFallacy

The Undefined Formula

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by TacticalFallacy 22nd July 2013, 1:52 am

Sorry for the late reply, had to deal with life.

Overall, everything seems alright and fit for an albeit free Artifact. Approved.

Theme:
    Current Jobs:

Current date/time is 28th April 2024, 3:49 pm