Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

Runescaping [Private Job]

Nikomar
    Nikomar

Player 
    Lineage : None
    Position : None
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 175

Runescaping [Private Job] Empty Runescaping [Private Job]

Post by Nikomar 10th May 2018, 1:03 pm

Job Details:

A short figure weaved his way between the people that covered the street, his navy blue coat pulled about his person that draped down to his ankles, an occasional breeze flowing down the street causing the loose fabric to rise and fall as he walked. Despite the array of dazzling flora that surrounded him, it was the blooming capital after all, the figure kept his stride. He had a purpose here, and he refused to be distracted.

"It should be right around this corner..." He muttered to himself, peeking at the address on a scrap of paper concealed beneath his cloak. "I just need to get past this crowd."

The crowd, it turned out, was huddled around the entrance to a sizable corner store bookshop, gawking at the piles of identical books being placed on display in the windows by a couple of already exhausted-looking staff members. Runescaping. A Comprehensive Guide to Writing and Understanding Runes, by Bruno Talimoor Was neatly written on the front of every copy.

The wall of eager customers would have been a difficult obstacle, had Nikomar's size not allowed him to squeeze between them relatively unnoticed in the hubbub. He knocked on the window which he was now pressed against. One of the staff members, having just set up a wooden easel to display the front cover of the book, looked over at Nikomar, shook his head, and gestured towards the clock on the far wall of the shop, clearly indicating it was too early to let customers in. Nikomar knocked again, this time presenting the piece of paper he had been concealing under his coat. It was a copy he'd drawn of the advertisement asking for help at the book release. This time, the shopkeeper's eyebrows raised slightly, before he hurriedly moved over to the door.

"This way. Quick, quick, quick!" He said as he held the door open barely wide enough for Nikomar to fit through, ushering him in. "Thank goodness, we didn't think anyone was going to come."He said with a sigh once the door was closed. "Please position yoursel... pardon me asking, but what's your name?

"Nikomar."He answered, looking around the shop. Despite it's fairly large size, the ancient timber frames lined with row upon row of books along with the low ceiling gave the building a cosy, homely feeling. Several ladders were propped up against some of the higher shelves, some of the books on those shelves had fallen on their sides, and likely needed sorting. However, the staff members were far too occupied to sort out minor issues like that. They bustled around the building, making sure as many books were on display as possible, and making final preparations before opening time.

"Ahh, good, well we'll be opening before long. Position yourself by one of the tables at one of the windows... you might want a chair to see above the crowd, and well... sell books. You'll only need to stay until we've dealt with most of the rabble. Are you a fan of Mr. Talimoor's previous work?"

"Well... I'm afraid I've never read it." Nikomar shook his head, apologetically."But it must have been good to draw such a crowd."

WC: 531
    Pokomon
    Pokomon

Developer/GFX Artist- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Guild Master- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Obtain A Lineage!- Player 
    Lineage : Beast Pride
    Guild : Meliora Vitae
    Dungeon Tokens : 1

Character Sheet
    First Magic:
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Runescaping [Private Job] Empty Re: Runescaping [Private Job]

Post by Pokomon 11th May 2018, 6:40 am

Poko was running somewhat late, she had camped outside the city the night before, planning to arrive early to help the book shop set up their stands before having to deal with the crowd and sales. There was nothing she wanted more at this moment than to get herself a copy of Bruno Talimoor's new book, she had even gone so far as to promise not to return to the guild base without it to Yuvon, her fellow book lover and good friend. Unfortunately, while her plan had seemed like a decent one, the blonde girl had managed to lose herself within the capital's streets. Poko was certainly not known for her directional sense, she never used maps, nor ever learnt to understand them, she preferred to explore and create the map inside her mind instead. However, she usually avoided towns and cities and none more than Crocus, in fact she'd never actually entered further than the outer streets before.

In her hand she held a piece of parchment, detailing the job outline for helping out the bookstore in return for a free copy and some extra jewels for their time, not a bad trade-off in her mind. Poko was feeling somewhat defeated by the concrete jungle though, about to completely give up hope of ever finding the bookstore till she turned one extra street, her eyes locking onto a large group crowded outside a store. As she gazed upwards she read the name of the store and realised she'd finally found it, and just in time, she had about five minutes before it would open to get inside and ready to help out. For once she was more or less happy to be small and somewhat skinny, easily weaving her way through the crowd, occasionally pushing larger people out the way with a bit of air magic of course. She didn't aim for the front door but rather an alley she had spotted with a side door for employees. After squirming her way through the last of the crowd gathered outside she took a deep breath before hammering loudly till someone finally answered.

"What what? Can't you see we're busy? If you're here for a copy of runescaping you'll have to line up like everyone else!" An angry voice sounded as the door opened up to reveal a rather exasperated bookstore owner. Poko found herself lost for words for a second, but quickly held out the paper she held tightly. "Thank god, some more help." He sighed in relief, grabbing Poko by the arm and practically dragging her inside before locking the side door behind them, "Right this way, I'll have you set up next to Nikomar." The owner eyed her up and down, another short person, well it's not like sized really mattered as long as they could handle the bustling crowd and rowdy customers. "Nikomar, we got more help, this is...er... What's your name miss?" The owner asked, looking between the two.

"Poko." She replied in a sort of mumble with a small smile, her eyes swirling a soft, light pink. "Poko right." He repeated before nodding at the two of them, "Get yourselves ready then I'll be opening the doors in a minute!" Poko moved as commanded, readying herself behind a desk, ready to handle sales. She stole one last quick glance at the boy next to her before taking a deep breath, mentally preparing herself for having to deal with people in general. At least they would all be fellow book lovers. She removed her oversized black jacket, revealing her blueish-green shirt she had chosen to wear and her pink, cotton shorts. The blonde then quickly took out a hair tie and pin from her short's pocket, pulling her golden locks up into a high pony tail to keep her hair out of her face while they worked. She closed her eyes one last time as she heard the bell of the door jingle, signaling that patrons were now entering the premises as she opened them back up they had turned a blueish grey, she only prayed that she would feel more comfortable talking to them as time ticked by.

[WC: 695]
    Nikomar
    Nikomar

Player 

Post by Nikomar 11th May 2018, 3:11 pm

Nikomar had just dragged a stool out from a corner of the store, as the shop assistant had suggested, to stand just above the crowd. He was about to haul himself onto the stool when he noticed the new arrival standing at his table, also preparing herself for the incoming wave of customers.
    "Here." He said, nudging the stool towards the girl. "You need it a little more... Poko, was it?"

Did her eyes just... no, don't be daft.

The door swung open with the gentle chime of a bell. It had begun. The mayhem was instant, a sea of excited customers surged into the room, waving fists clutching a handfuls of jewels. The customers crowded around the table, blocking Nikomar's view of the staff on the other table. Nikomar could barely keep up with the demand of the crowd, handing out book after book with one hand and accepting money with the other, half the time he wasn't even fast enough to count the cash. Impatient hands weaved through the crowd, attempting to snatch a book when his gaze was averted. Of course, it never was, and this behavior stopped quickly once he shifted his dagger forward, making it clearly visible. He couldn't use the thing even if he wanted to, if he could he wouldn't be here.

"I...I...I can't believe it!" One customer exclaimed upon receiving his copy. "So many long months of waiting, I think I'm going to cry!"

Getting emotional over a novel, that I can understand... but a book about runes? Nikomar though to himself.

"Excuse me sir, but you're blocking other customers from getting their books."
    Nikomar said, politely. The man was cradling his book, twisting back and forth on the spot, his chin pressed into the covers as he embraced it.
    "Um, sir?"

"Oh, yes, terribly sorry." The man said, snapping out of his trance-like behavior. "I'm sure you understand that... today is just such an important day." He turned to re-enter the crowd, the next customer pushing past him as he did so, but he stopped before taking a step. "But what am I saying? You have the honor of serving Talimoor himself. Oh! I'm certain he'd be so proud of you if he were here... wait, do you know him?" He added, turning back to the table. "Oh my, it would explain why you were given such a valuable position, you know Talimoor in person?!

"I'm very sorry to disappoint you." Nikomar said, glancing towards the man as he served another customer. He wasn't sure how to handle this... enthusiastic person. "But I hadn't even heard of him until I took this job." The man's jaw dropped. He inhaled so sharply that he made a small shriek, turning the heads of nearby customers. "How... have you lived?" The man hoarsely whispered, barely audible above the hubbub of the store. "I'm just... so sorry. I can't believe someone has gone so long without the wonders of runes revealed to them." And with that, he slipped back into the crowd, still clutching his book like a newborn baby.

"Remind me never to publish a book... so, why are you here?" He asked his companion, the occasional brief moment of respite granted as a satisfied customer barged their way back into the crowd, preventing a new one from coming forward "I'd imagine someone wouldn't make such a commitment without a reason, are you a fan of Mr.. um..." He glanced at the cover of the book he was holding, before handing it to a customer. "...Mr Talimoor. Or are you just really into runes?"

WC: 600
    Total: 1131
    Pokomon
    Pokomon

Developer/GFX Artist- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Guild Master- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Obtain A Lineage!- Player 

Character Sheet
    First Magic:
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Post by Pokomon 12th May 2018, 1:02 am

"O-Oh thank you." Poko mumbled tentatively in reply to the boy handing her the stool. Once she was standing upon it she felt more ready and prepared than before now that she stood about a foot taller than before. Honestly it felt a bit strange being able to see from just slightly higher, almost surreal, was this how some of her tall friends saw the world, interesting. Maybe she would have to test out walking around on stilts for a day, a thought that made her giggle slightly as the doors opened and patrons suddenly came storming in, causing her to snap back to reality. Poko found herself in what seemed like a never ending cycle of handing a book for jewels, at one point she nearly accidentally gave someone a copy that hadn't even paid yet, but luckily they were an honest person and came up to give her the money before leaving.

The job was far more overwhelming for the blonde girl than she had anticipated, she knew it was going to be tough dealing with so many people, but not quite to this extreme. Eventually she found a sort of rhythm to work to, by using her air magic to deal with lifting and delivering the books to the customers after handling the money, a system that seemed to be quite efficient. It was great to see so many people that shared her passion for written words, she just hoped the book would be well worth it. She had after all planned to do some tests with the runes on her own indoor tree that she had in her dormitory back at Silver Wolf's guild hall, but she was certain that Yuvon had some bigger plans for the information.

Poko worked in near silence, but kept up her smile, something she knew that every person in retail should do after reading about it before leaving to take the job. She was also meant to wish them all a nice day, but she was worried that with so many customers she might find herself unable to talk at the end of the day, so she hoped her smile and occasional reply to their queries and comments would suffice. When people started pushing and shoving she was glad that her partner, Nikomar, was handling it, so she would not have to, although when she saw him draw a dagger out she was a little bit scared and hoped that it was merely for show and he hadn't actually planned to hurt anyone.

As the hours passed by the crowd began to dwindle, the initial rush dying down, Poko looked around to see they had sold quite a lot of copies, but they still had a fair amount left over for those that would come in later as well as others that had been pre-ordered sitting on a shelf behind the counter along with the two copies for the mages helping out. The blonde jumped a bit startled as the boy standing beside her spoke in her direction, she nearly fell off the stool, but managed to catch herself just in time. His words confused her somewhat, who wouldn't want to publish a book of their own? That would be like a dream come true for the blonde.

"Oh, well, I sort of promised a friend of mine that I would get us a copy to share." She explained, while she usually preferred having her own copies of books, she didn't mind sharing with Yuvon, especially since he often let her borrow books from his own stash from time to time with the promise to return them of course, "I've read a few of his previous novels, one that used runes for baking, which I tested out with my guild's chef and another that taught me how to use rune magic to help deal with fears. Although, that was not quite as effective as I would have liked as it only worked while you were in contact with them at all times." Poko sighed as she reminisced about how she had gotten as far as petting her guild master's pet wolf before suddenly the runes wore off and she was left shaking, curled up in a corner, something she was certainly not proud of.

"My guild mate and friend however, has read his entire collection and memorised it all." She giggled thinking about how cute and excited the masked man had gotten over hearing about a new release. Poko then turned to look the boy directly in the eye, her eyes swirling a bright orange as she was overcome with curiosity, "What about you? I overheard you mention that you were not a fan, so why would you take up such a bothersome job for a copy of a book that you're not overly interested in?" She queried with a small smile, eagerly awaiting his response, learning about people could be just as fun as reading sometimes.

[WC: 827 | TWC: 1522]
    Nikomar
    Nikomar

Player 

Post by Nikomar 12th May 2018, 12:22 pm

I didn't imagine it. Her eyes really did change colour... interesting.

"Well, I there are few runes I've been curious about for some time for personal reasons, but I haven't managed to find any information about them."
    He said as he handed out another copy of the book. The worst of the crowd had received their books, and had left. A large number of people were hanging around outside the store, excitedly flicking through the pages, and pointing out certain lines and diagrams of interest to their friends. "I figured that the number one rune mage must know something about them, and seeing the opportunity to obtain one of his books for free... well, I couldn't resist. . He leaned a little closer to Poko. "Im not sure about his fans though, some of them seem a little... too enthusiastic over a rune book."

At that moment one of the owners got up from their table, which was finally visible through through the crowd, and made their way over to Nikomar and Poko. He looked even more exhausted than before, but a relieved smile was on their face. "Poko and Nikomar, I can't thank you two enough, it would have been a riot if we were alone. Now that the worst is over, I think we can manage from here on out." He began to walk over to the shop's main counter, where another employee had been distributing books. "Please, come this way and we'll sort out your pay. Oh, and of course, the books." He took two copies of Runescaping out from behind the counter, the two copies that had been reserved for them, before rummaging for cash. Nikomar fastened his copy to his belt, next to the other book he was carrying.

"Did you say you were in a guild?" Nikomar asked, turning to Poko as they awaited their pay. He'd thought guilds only accepted the strongest of mages, and didn't consider such a young person who would help out in a bookstore an asset to such guilds. He also didn't see a guild mark anywhere on her body. "I've heard about them, my father mentioned one called Crystal Swan a lot, but I don't know much about what it's like to be in one."

"Here we go." The shopkeeper said, emerging from behind the counter, placing two piles of jewels on the counter. "I believe that's how much we advertised for. Thank you ever so much once again!"

"This will keep me going for a little while, I was starting to run a low on money." He said, taking his pay before turning back to Poko. "It was nice to work with you, where do you plan on heading?"
    WC: 452
    Total: 1583
    Pokomon
    Pokomon

Character Sheet
    First Magic:
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Post by Pokomon 16th May 2018, 9:45 pm

Current date/time is 28th March 2024, 4:52 am