Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

"You Ruined My Plot"

Decayuss
    Decayuss

The Nephilim

The Nephilim

Moderator- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Rising Star- Guild Master- Legal Guild Ace- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Rich- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- X-Mas Event Participant- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : The True Nephalem
    Position : None
    Guild : Guildless
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Mentor : N/A
    Experience : 0

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Nephalem Take Over
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

"You Ruined My Plot" Empty "You Ruined My Plot"

Post by Decayuss 6th November 2015, 7:23 pm

From the very moment that I saw the negativity of this site being to create an exponential increase as time went on, this topic was one that I regularly saw discussed and briefly touched upon. The claim that "the new rules are bad because they do not enforce character development".  While this is not the only claim, it usually falls under the line of criticizing the new rules, regarding them as a step down, a "ruining" of character development, or placing less "emphasis" on it. And I would like to express my opinion regarding this topic with a very blunt: it's not. Seriously.

I understand that some of the older members left the site because they felt as though the community had gotten more toxic, and I'm not going to lie, it has. Rather than giving adequate or helpful suggestions that are straight to the point, they seemingly must be tied with personal insults towards the staff in its current position. That's not the way to go about it, come on. Regardless, that is an entirely different topic, and I must veer back on to the subject at hand.

The updates regarding health points, damage, Magic Power, and ranks are more directed towards enhancing Player vs. Player experience. I'm going to express the fact that the new HP rules (though not new anymore) are a god-saving improvement from the old rules in which it was merely "10% hp for even rank". That would mean that an A rank's minimal damage towards an H rank was 1.6% of their health.

1.6% of their health. Minimum.

The new rules would make it so a little less than 9 A rank spells would be enough to defeat an H rank. Seemingly impossible, I've got news for you: that's a good thing. While not entirely impossible, it does make the task especially difficult, and let me express the fact that H ranks are the strongest Mages on the site, and A ranks are not. Remember what happened when Natsu attempted to defeat Gildarts? Oh yeah. He kind of got his ass kicked. Pushing the sass aside, the old rules would make it literally impossible, requiring an A rank to cast almost 100 spells to defeat an H rank, and the new rules still making an arduous task, but no where near impossible. So I ask the question: why is that a bad thing? Are people failing to realize that's a huge improvement.

In regards to the title of this thread, there also seems to be a complaint that these new rules are taking away plot and character development. I ask this: Why? How? I'm not going to point fingers, but I really don't agree with this. These new rules regarding damage, health, weapons, spell fusions, etc. are all a means to balance out Player vs. Player activity, which is often criticized and hailed as a bad thing. It certainly isn't perfect, but I do not believe it is that terrible, especially considering its past. Regardless: why does creating a guideline to PvP and Magic hinder your plot? I'm not going to lie. I like my Magic. I like where it's at. I love how it is. And if someone were trying to rip all of that away from me, I'd be pretty mad. Yet, why is the argument towards "anti-Magic nerfing" often backed up with the fact that it hinders character development? Expressed before, these are guidelines for PvP. Character development can occur within jobs, between people, and within socials, which is free RP. My Magic has a ton of restrictions for PvP, but in a social thread, I really doubt anyone is going to care that I go a little above and beyond.

Attempting to balance out PvP and make it much more fair than it previously was (which it is) certainly doesn't interfere with your plot and character developments, unless your primary goal is to become an overpowered nutcase. And if that is then...good luck to you! These new rules aren't stopping you from advancing your character's plot and story. What they are stopping is you interrupting the goal of balance in PvP. I realize this goal is not yet attained, but it's not easy. Give them a break. They're doing their best, and it's certainly better than the old days.

Now of course, there is the argument that the site is focusing less on it. And to that I say: not really. The site is still about plot and story, if you want it to be. There aren't any updates on that because I don't think there needs to be, aside from events, which is a totally different topic. Why would you need updates to something that is completely free? You are free to do as you wish in jobs and socials within reason. You are not free to do whatever you want in PvP, and there's a reason for that. That is why there exist guidelines for PvP, to keep people from going too crazy. Go crazy with your character for all I care. But I seriously doubt these rules are hindering your ability to expand plot, story, and personality.

If you wish to argue against this....go ahead, I guess. I prefer to leave personal insults out of this, though.

~Decayuss

Last edited by Decayuss on 6th November 2015, 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"You Ruined My Plot" Deacy2
    Take Over Forms:

Magic
    Character Sheet
    Celine
    Celine

Regular VIP Status- Quality Badge Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Obtain A Lineage!- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Black Memories
    Guild : Grim Heresy
    Cosmic Coins : 25
    Experience : 900

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Embrace.
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

"You Ruined My Plot" Empty Re: "You Ruined My Plot"

Post by Celine 6th November 2015, 7:39 pm

Not to mention that PvP Is utterly and completely OPTIONAL. There are few times where PvP is a necessary thing and even then lets face it the worst part about jobs is the mandatory post count and word count (Which I hear thank the gods is getting better.) So for now I agree with Deca on this Balance is needed in PvP but that does NOT affect jobs.
    Special Snowflake
    Special Snowflake

Player 
    Lineage : None
    Guild : None
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Mentor : N/A
    Experience : 0

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Thread Magic
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Special Snowflake 6th November 2015, 7:50 pm

I pretty much 100% agree with you, really it doesn't change anything unless all you care about is stomping others, in which case I wish you luck and hope you have fun, there is always someone better (I know this from experience, and they are in fact a good friend of mine too), so be prepared for losses and victories.

For those like me who try to step on the boundaries of abilities, test the waters and make stuff that's strong but fun, this system doesn't stop you from doing that in fact it encourages from my experience. Go bonkers make strong stuff, and define it as Deca said with limits for PvP so it will be a fun match for both parties.

You can make custom jobs for advancing plot and getting XP, you can alter the jobs by changing the enemies names and such in said job, and you could take a totally roundabout way to solve a job. You aren't limited to play a good guy or a bad guy depending on what guild you join, you aren't limited to just role playing within said alignment, you aren't limited except by your own imagination.

Heck i've done jobs where all we have done is discuss plot and advancement while heading towards a mission, then beaten up the bad guys in two seconds as we clearly stronger. I've also had missions where the entire time we were being beaten back by the enemy and had to come out on top via wit. it's all up to how you wish to play.

if someone is bragging or complaining, let them, they aren't you, they can't dictate what you can do, and how you have fun. Basically... just chill and RP, find some friends and form a story regardless of where you are, or what you are doing. If you are truly inspired by your character and enjoy writing well... the systems won't matter to you, as many of my friends here seem to act whenever they log in, they could care less about the PvP system they just want to plot and have fun. They say "go ahead and 'OP' I'll be off having fun with my friends thank you very much" and it's good advice.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Celine
    Celine

Regular VIP Status- Quality Badge Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Obtain A Lineage!- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Black Memories
    Guild : Grim Heresy
    Cosmic Coins : 25
    Experience : 900

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Embrace.
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Celine 6th November 2015, 7:54 pm

Special Snowflake wrote:I pretty much 100% agree with you, really it doesn't change anything unless all you care about is stomping others, in which case I wish you luck and hope you have fun, there is always someone better (I know this from experience, and they are in fact a good friend of mine too), so be prepared for losses and victories.

For those like me who try to step on the boundaries of abilities, test the waters and make stuff that's strong but fun, this system doesn't stop you from doing that in fact it encourages from my experience. Go bonkers make strong stuff, and define it as Deca said with limits for PvP so it will be a fun match for both parties.

You can make custom jobs for advancing plot and getting XP, you can alter the jobs by changing the enemies names and such in said job, and you could take a totally roundabout way to solve a job. You aren't limited to play a good guy or a bad guy depending on what guild you join, you aren't limited to just role playing within said alignment, you aren't limited except by your own imagination.

Heck i've done jobs where all we have done is discuss plot and advancement while heading towards a mission, then beaten up the bad guys in two seconds as we clearly stronger. I've also had missions where the entire time we were being beaten back by the enemy and had to come out on top via wit. it's all up to how you wish to play.

if someone is bragging or complaining, let them, they aren't you, they can't dictate what you can do, and how you have fun. Basically... just chill and RP, find some friends and form a story regardless of where you are, or what you are doing. If you are truly inspired by your character and enjoy writing well... the systems won't matter to you, as many of my friends here seem to act whenever they log in, they could care less about the PvP system they just want to plot and have fun. They say "go ahead and 'OP' I'll be off having fun with my friends thank you very much" and it's good advice.

This this a million times this honestly in these times of mass negativity it is nice to see some positivity in this mix both in this post and of course from other people.

Current date/time is 2nd May 2024, 6:48 am