Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

Cooldown Standard Change

Mifune
    Mifune

The White Wizard

The White Wizard

Developer/GFX Artist- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Guild Master- Dragon Slayer- H-Rank- S-Rank- Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 6- Veteran Level 5- Veteran Level 4- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- X-Mas Event Participant- Hero- Best GFX Artist Award- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Malefic Illusions
    Position : None
    Guild : Guildless
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Mentor : Oykai
    Experience : 500

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Death Wish
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Discussion Cooldown Standard Change

Post by Mifune 15th January 2015, 5:35 am

So I've noticed that some mods have recently begun to increase the cooldowns of spells on Apps.  4 - 5 posts for a D-Rank spell in some cases.  Sometimes even for simple shields or "Fireball" sort of spells.  I'm asking that such harsh penalties for spells be brought to a halt.  D-Rank mages only get 4 spells to begin with, and when they're forced to have a 4 post minimum for a CD, it really restricts them in what they're able to do.  It doesn't make the game funner, sure it's "more of a challenge." but honestly nobody wants to have such restrictions on their magic.  Ask anyone who's had their app adjusted with these cool downs.  Nobody wants them.  

I recall a PM being sent out by Zeno, addressing the exact same Issues that I am now.  People want to have fun with their magic and actually be able to use it to be able to immerse themselves fully in the RP.  If everyone has lower CDs for their spells there is no harm done to anyone because everyone reaps the benefit of it.  

Here is my suggestion for standardizing CDs.  The numbers can be increased in an app to compensate for lack of weaknesses as always, as well as to compensate for longer durations, but for the bare minimum of a "Fireball" or "Shield" spell, this is what I think is fair to everyone.

D-Rank spells: 1 - 2 posts.
    C-Rank Spells: 2 -3 posts.
    B-Rank spells: 3 - 5 posts.
    A-Rank spells: 5 - 6 posts.
    S-Rank spells: 6 - 8 posts.

Last edited by Shuhei on 15th January 2015, 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Kirahunter
    Kirahunter

The Phoenix

The Phoenix

Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- VIP- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Rising Star- Guild Master- Demon Slayer- S-Rank- A-Rank- Haiku Contest Participant- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Hero- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Keeper of War
    Experience : 1,250

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Seith - Human Possession
    Second Skill: Stardust
    Third Skill:

Discussion Re: Cooldown Standard Change

Post by Kirahunter 15th January 2015, 5:43 am

I agree 3-4 posts for a d-rank cooldown is absurd and should be taken down a notch.

However I feel that cooldown/duration should not have much bearing on rank. I feel B-Rank "Fireball" should have the same cooldown as D-Rank "Fireball" because really they have the same complexity and scaled power. Besides higher rank mages need to be able to sling out their top spells fast too because some of the health job enemies have really demands it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

[20:44:53] Kirahunter : also I like the sound of my own voice
    [20:44:59] Kirahunter : so I had to say something

Missions Completed

D- 6 (150 exp)
    C- 1 (50 exp)
    B- 1 (1,050 exp)
    A- 0
    S- 0

Total:1250

Character
    Primary Magic
    Heavens Empress Daiki
    Heavens Empress Daiki

Heavenly Monster

Heavenly Monster

Moderator- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- God Slayer- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Stigmata of the Avatar
    Mentor : Daiki, Aiko (Mother - Missing)
    Experience : 0

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Avatar of Amaterasu (Heaven God Slayer)
    Second Skill: Fallen Angel Slayer Lacrima
    Third Skill:

Post by Heavens Empress Daiki 15th January 2015, 6:55 am

I have to say, I support this idea.

Cooldown Standard Change 8ZbrsUC
    Tōwa Lazmira
    Tōwa Lazmira

Judge and jury

Judge and jury

Moderator- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Quality Badge Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Weapon of Apocalypse Wielder- Player 
    Lineage : Godchild
    Guild : Rune Knights
    Cosmic Coins : 5
    Experience : 0

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Cosmic Mind
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Tōwa Lazmira 15th January 2015, 9:01 am

There already is a Standard in place guys. All jobs have been created for this standard.

Towa's Theme:

Ume's Theme:
    The Blade of War - Unmade Primary Magic - Unmade Secondary Magic
    Unmade Armor - Unmade items.
    Mifune
    Mifune

The White Wizard

The White Wizard

Developer/GFX Artist- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Guild Master- Dragon Slayer- H-Rank- S-Rank- Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 6- Veteran Level 5- Veteran Level 4- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- X-Mas Event Participant- Hero- Best GFX Artist Award- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Malefic Illusions
    Mentor : Oykai
    Experience : 500

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Death Wish
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Mifune 15th January 2015, 9:55 am

If there is one I can't find it.  Something like that should be made visible to regular members and if it's the standard that you've been using... It should be adjusted, which is the point of this thread.  You yourself have been asking members to increase CDs to 4+ posts on D-Rank spells.  It's my opinion that it's too much and I'd like to see if others think that as well.

Anyway, I renamed the thread to "Cooldown Standard Change"

As far as missions go it shouldn't change very much. Members need to meet the required post minimum either way. Having spells handy more often will only make for a more interesting story, rather than trying to watch someone scrape away without magic.... Who wants that on a RP about magic?

Kenshi
    Kenshi

Character Application Approved!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Player 
    Lineage : Shadows of Anarchy
    Guild : Sabertooth
    Mentor : Venelogia
    Experience : 25

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Poison Dragon Slayer
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Kenshi 15th January 2015, 10:14 am

My brother once told me that all of his CD's, which were two posts, befitting one post spells, were increased to four posts because "that's the standard". That's simply outrageous. His spells only last a single post, but they can't be used again for four posts? That's just dumb, in my opinion.

Cooldown Standard Change PJeGCtn

Battle Theme:
    Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Dragon VIP Status- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Dragon Slayer- Rich- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Hic Sunt Dracones
    Faction : The Luminous Covenant
    Guild : Fairy Tail (Ace)
    Mentor : Whedalsin
    Experience : 1,093,688

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Twilight Dragon Magic
    Second Skill: Twilight Dragon Magic
    Third Skill: Twilight Dragon Magic

Post by Akeya 15th January 2015, 10:14 am

If there's a standard in place mods shouldn't be trying to increase the cooldown on low level spells in the first place. The fact that it's become enough of an issue that objections are starting to arise means that either mods need to once again be informed about the standard, or the current standard might benefit from some modification (although I doubt a D-rank fireball would deserve a 4-post Cooldown under any circumstances).

Of course, it's true that all the jobs have been created with the current standard in mind, but that works both ways. If the mods are trying to increase the cooldown requirements against the standard that's just as harmful as if the cooldown requirements were lowered to the extend that it would make jobs too easy. As has already been expressed, people are here to have fun being mages and throw spells around, not to constantly try to find a spell rotation which allows them to use their entire arsenal efficiently without at one point becoming helpless because all they ran out of spells and even the simplest ability takes ages before it can be recast. This is especially true for those who are still at low enough a level that they don't even have that many spells to begin with.

Also, I agree with Kirahunter that higher ranked spells should not always have increasingly long cooldowns the higher a rank they are. For example, when I decided on my Signature Spell I chose a spell which certainly is not as powerful as some spells of the same rank. It allows me to create simple weapons and equipment from shadows. The goal I had with my Signature Spell was to have a spell which I can constantly spam without having to worry about my mana depleting. With that in mind I purposefully made it a spell which is decidedly less powerful than it could be given its rank. However I then had to extend the cooldown not because the spell was thought too powerful or otherwise required altering, but because higher level spells require higher cooldowns.

After hearing this I did naturally consider picking another Signature Spell and keeping my shadow weapon spell at D-rank, but at D-rank the largest item I could create was a dagger. Of course a spell with a 1-post duration/cooldown is useful even if it doesn't get any more impressive than always having a dagger with you without having to carry the damn thing around, but the very idea that I could not create an even slightly more powerful version without immediately sacrificing one of the prime advantages of the spell -being able to use it very often- rankled me.

Wouldn't it make sense that if you put a spell which has the effects of a C-rank in a B-rank slot, you would in return gain a decreased cooldown on that spell? It basically means that when your mage grows they decide that rather than learning grand spells they would focus on mastering the more simple spells, having less raw firepower at disposal but being more versatile (or at least better prepared when caught unaware or when fighting for extended periods of time).

Cooldown Standard Change Akeya2
    Between the Sun and the Moon, where it is neither Day nor Night, the Dragon of Twilight sleeps.

Character|Magic
    Natalia Wolf
    Natalia Wolf

Snow Angel

Snow Angel

1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Windswept General
    Guild : Fairy Tail
    Experience : 1287.5

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Blizzard Magic
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Natalia Wolf 15th January 2015, 10:33 am

I support this, having a 4 post cooldown for 4 instant cast D ranks spells leaves you with... exactly one post for which you can not do anything assuming you spam all your spells simultaneously one post after the other. D rank mages already have a rough time as is with less damage but forcing them to have a time where they can only hope to dodge/use weak attacks and abilities that probably do nothing but make people mad is a little dumb, and not to mention it really restricts creativity.

Post by Guest 15th January 2015, 3:06 pm

The moderators now have guidelines in place that will ensure that cooldowns are kept at a reasonable level for each rank. These guidelines were only just put into place last night.

D-rank spells now have a cooldown limit of 2-4 posts (obviously depending on the spell in question) with single, insta-cast spells usually requiring only 2 post cooldowns.
    Felicity Vrago
    Felicity Vrago

Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- God Slayer- A-Rank- Rich- Player 
    Lineage : Angel of Chaos
    Guild : Eclipse Soul
    Mentor : Conquest/Decayuss
    Experience : 56875

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Crimson God Slayer
    Second Skill: Conquest Take Over
    Third Skill:

Post by Felicity Vrago 16th January 2015, 12:13 am

Thank you for this Shuhei.

Cooldown Standard Change P5l7Dxp

Post by Guest 16th January 2015, 11:44 am

Cirven had been working on the guidelines prior to stepping down. It was just a case of us going over what he'd written and tweaking it here and there, which took longer than anticipated. Hopefully you should all see the cooldowns becoming fairer =]
    Cirven
    Cirven

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Moderator- VIP- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Guild Master- Demon Slayer- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : The Devil Jester
    Experience : 833,050

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Devil's Zeal
    Second Skill: Aphyon Jivven
    Third Skill: Vir'ednith

Post by Cirven 16th January 2015, 11:57 am

Legacy wrote:Cirven had been working on the guidelines prior to stepping down. It was just a case of us going over what he'd written and tweaking it here and there, which took longer than anticipated. Hopefully you should all see the cooldowns becoming fairer =]

Legz beat me to it lol

Cooldown Standard Change LxcTBIi
    Character Info:

Current date/time is 27th April 2024, 12:13 am