Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

♜ Homebound ♜ [Rhace]

Dagda
    Dagda

Richie Rich- Rich- Player 
    Lineage : Warrior's Heart
    Position : None
    Guild : Meliora Vitae [GM]
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 34,736

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Leviathan
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

♜ Homebound ♜ [Rhace] Empty ♜ Homebound ♜ [Rhace]

Post by Dagda 24th December 2021, 12:26 pm

♜ Homebound ♜ [Rhace] OgDLJYY

It was a quiet morning aboard the S.S. Endeavor, save for the birds singing in the trees as they greeted the rising sun. Golden rays graced the treetops of the forest atop the ship and dappled the forest floor with long rays of angled light. Most of the giant airship’s inhabitants were asleep deep in its belly, undisturbed by the start of the day. A lot of them weren’t early risers, and those that were hadn’t come to the surface yet.

The exception was Dagda, the Captain of this ship and guild. He took in the brisk morning air and warming sunlight from the center of the Arborium, where a fountain rose from the open clearing. Gently splashing water accompanied the birdsong, only furthering the peaceful moment he was enjoying with a cup of black coffee. The titan wasn’t usually a morning person. Lately sleep had been an infrequent visitor, only showing up in glimpses when exhaustion had worn him down. The involuntary night owl been out here since the first glow of light began to peek over the expansive forests of Seven that spread below the Endeavor.

The Captain sported a rather haggard look. His face was scruffy with the beginnings of a beard and faint dark circles rimmed the underside of his eyes. Normally his black and white hair was kept to a neat, short length, but now it was long enough to put up into a rough ponytail. Dagda hadn’t worried too much about keeping up his appearance lately. The past few months had been some of the hardest of his life. It started with the departure of several of the guild members who had been in Meliora Vitae since its founding. The sweet Maebh Holt had returned home to her family, and Pimwadee Chakri had set out for her home country. Their retirement from the guild was bittersweet, but Dagda knew he couldn’t keep them when they had family to reunite with. Then came the news that Pim’s ship had been caught in a storm at sea, and the purple-haired woman had disappeared into the waves along with it.

The news had hit Dagda hard. He cared deeply for all the members of the guild, they were always a steady presence at his side and wonderful friends. The grief was intense, but the titan had forced himself not to dwell on it too much for the sake of the guild. There was too much to be done.

What came next ruined that selfless resolve completely. Unexpectedly, Dagda’s dearest friend Percy Dagger had disappeared, along with his boyfriend Leon Hoffman. Their room looked as if a cyclone had run through it and their dog and cat were left behind. The only contact from the two was a text from Percy telling him they were being hunted and asking him to take care of their pets. He left the two pets under the care of a friend of Leon’s named Gwen, and started a vigorous search for the two young men. It never lead to anything, despite his relentless and desperate efforts. The loss of Percy had left a near permanent ache in his heart. The red and white haired Dagger was the one who saved Dagda when he had been thrown from a wormhole into a lake into Sakuramori. Percy had created the metal arm that now hung at the titan’s side, tapping a finger against his coffee cup idly. The S.S. Endeavor would never have flown if it weren’t for Percy’s genius. He was like a brother to Dagda, a friend more valuable than any he’d had before.

To avoid the unending pain of grief, Dagda had turned to working himself as hard as possible. Guild matters had taken some of his obsessive focus, but another project consumed his thoughts and kept him up more nights than he would admit. A while ago, before the creation of Meliora Vitae, a venture into the Phoenix Mountains had led the stone titan to a priceless discovery. A member of his species from his home planet had landed and lived on Earthland years before and left behind some of their belongings in a saddle still attached to their steed. Dagda had taken the hexagoat under his care, and through intense research into the items left behind by the other Marmor, he discovered the S.S. Endeavor. The ship was left cloaked and unnamed, no clues could be found to determine who had left it there or why.

From then on, all of Dagda’s focus had been on getting the ship up and running with the help of Percy, then creating and maintaining Meliora Vitae. The investigation into the mysterious predecessor from Dolomia who had lived on Earthland was left in the dust until lately. The grief had driven the Captain to dive into his search once more. He’d lost his late wife back on Dolomia and been separated from his five year old son Abelios, and now he had lost several of his friends. The recent bereavement only increased the fear that he would never see his son again, driving him to hyperfocus on finding a way home.

The research had proved fruitful, though gruelling. Dagda was close to figuring out where the portal to Dolomia was based on the information he had gathered. He knew it was somewhere in Seven, likely in the Sevenwood forests. However, he couldn’t do it alone. He knew not what lay in wait for him at the portal, it was too dangerous to go by himself. Now, in the crisp morning air, he awaited Rhace Tarrin to join him. He’d only met with the man a few times, but figured this was a good opportunity to work together. Word had gotten around that Rhace was an excellent fighter, and Dagda needed someone like that at his side today. There was no telling what difficulties they might encounter.

Post WC: 983    Thread WC: X    Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin    Music: Homebound

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Rhace Tarrin
    Rhace Tarrin

Player 
    Lineage : Blade Of The Sixfold Path
    Faction : The Luminous Covenant
    Experience : 805,380

♜ Homebound ♜ [Rhace] Empty Re: ♜ Homebound ♜ [Rhace]

Post by Rhace Tarrin 24th December 2021, 3:49 pm

Rhace Tarrin
    Homebound

By contrast to the titan himself, Rhace Tarrin was almost the picture perfect visage of impeccable maintenance. While Dagda had allowed the ravages of time to overtake him in his long-suffering quest to find a way home, Rhace refused to allow himself to be anything but his absolute best. Without any worry that burdened down his spirit other than his nigh narcissistic need to be at the absolute top of his game of swordplay, he was content to ensure that he was consistently presentable every single day. It was pure vanity, if truth be told; there was nobody to impress but himself, yet he insisted on being at the pinnacle of everything that he could possibly bring to the table. Perhaps it set himself a poor reputation as a self-centred selfish prick, but this was not a concern that belonged to the scion of the Granven school. This could not be a concern. To weigh oneself down with the opinions of others was asking to sink in the infinite sea of self-doubt and self-flagellation.

Yet, it was precisely the opinions of others that had drawn this entire scenario together this morning. When many people lived in such close confines for extended periods of time, word always spread about anything and everything. Rumours could move like wildfire through the crew decks of the ship, where people would gladly gossip about any topic that came up in order to break across the monotony of their moving existence. This situation was one such thing. Most of the crew, if not all of them, had noticed the Captain’s rapidly declining physical state. Most too knew not what the issue was, and speculation became rife; anything from the fact that the captain might be suicidal to he was about to make a scientific breakthrough that would allow the Endeavor to teleport anywhere across Fiore in an instant was all equally on the table. Nobody knew the full truth, and those who might have known bits and pieces played their cards close to the chest in order to preserve either the sanctity of the Captain’s privacy or to make what information they had seem even more valuable.

The fact that this was the hottest topic of conversation aboard the ship, combined with the fact that Rhace had received a request from the Captain himself to have a quick chat in the arboretum early the following morning, clued Rhace in to the fact that he was quite possibly going to be one of the first to learn the actual truth of the matter. Interestingly enough, he had no idea why he, of all people, was to be chosen; in terms of importance or even actual combat strength compared to some of the more veteran members of the guild, Rhace felt that he was barely a blip on the radar. Cassiti and Cordelia, for instance, were not only the captain’s loyal aces but also incredible warriors in their own right. The swordsman had experienced that, certainly. Perhaps it might have been because Rhace was spending a reasonable amount of time with them for training’s purposes, but there were certainly other options available. Maybe Cass and Cord had recommended this conversation for some reason as yet obscured to Rhace’s understanding. Realistically, he just didn’t know. Therefore, in the spirit of gaining the understanding he needed, and being a good soldier who followed orders, he had acknowledged the request almost immediately and pledged to be there on time.

That morning, the arborium was its usual beautiful self. This was one of the first places he’d seen after the hangar bay itself. Wide, lush, covered in trees and wildlife, this place was absolutely picturesque. Here one could spend hours in deep meditation, surrounded by nature even thirty thousand feet into the air, and become one with the inner mysteries of even a clouded mind with how powerful the calming aura of this part of the ship was. Yet, there he was. Dadga stood as the mighty monster that he was, pensive and brooding over whatever it was that plagued his thoughts.

As Rhace approached the towering man, he could already sense that there was something auspiciously wrong about this situation. Not that the Captain himself was presenting oddly, but there seemed to be a weight that not even the titan himself could shoulder that was crushing his spirit. The rumours that floated around the decks of the ship that he was not sleeping well were in fact true, and it seemed that the swordsman was about to be one of the first to know the terrible truth of that burden. Nonetheless, Rhace drew nearer to Dadga, hands coming to fold behind his back under his cape. He knew that this was not a social call, for certain. Whatever this was seemed rather pressing, if not critically urgent. The way that Dagda’s brow furrowed over his brewed coffee seemed to speak to that.

”Captain,” Rhace said by way of greeting, accentuating it with a stern nod. ”I understand you called for me?”

Rhace came to rest a few paces away, almost stood at attention. Cass and Cord had told him far too many times that he was too rigid for his own good, and sometimes that was absolutely true. Now it was being used as little more than a coping mechanism, just as much for the Captain’s sake as for his; the curiosity plaguing Rhace was being tempered by his strict adherence to protocol, and perhaps Dagda could find solace in that protocol as well. No matter which way this played out, Rhace was incredibly curious as to what this was going to become.

TAG: @Dagda WORDS: 944 TOTAL: 1927/x JOB: N/A
    MEL @ WW

_____________________________________________________________________________________

♜ Homebound ♜ [Rhace] Q5QUxlX
    BIO | LINEAGE | SWORDPLAY | TRACKER
    #104E8B
    +100% Jewels In Effect - Lineage
    Dagda
    Dagda

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Dagda 3rd January 2022, 8:14 pm

Dagda looked up from his absent musings as he heard the tap of boots approaching. He relaxed his shoulders, which had become tense with the racing of his mind.

“Rhace.” Dagda greeted him with a brief lift of his coffee cup. “At ease, soldier,” he added with a teasing tone. The man stood with the strict posture of a seasoned soldier. It was an unusual sight. The Captain didn’t prioritize authority and uniformity in Meliora Vitae like a military body would, so most of the members were casual in their formalities if they used any at all. It was a little refreshing though, and the titan found himself straightening up in a subconscious response.

“You’re probably wondering why I called you here. I’m sure many others are too. Do you have any ideas?” Dagda asked, a playful grin pulling the corner of his mouth up. He knew the guild had probably been speculating on his absences. Word of mouth was a powerful force for spreading information, whether or not that intel was true. When there was something interesting to gossip about, people would talk. The titan felt a twinge of guilt. He really had been vacant from the guild and its members for a while and hadn’t divulged any information about what he was working on. It was hard to tell people what was going on when he was holed up in his room engrossed in the project.

Dagda was curious to see what Rhace thought for the sake of his own curiosity. It might give him some insight into whatever wild rumors might be flying around, and how close they were to the truth. That, and it might give him a glimpse at the rigid man’s psyche.

Post WC: 288    Thread WC: 2,215    Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin    Music: Homebound

Rhace Tarrin
    Rhace Tarrin

Player 

Post by Rhace Tarrin 4th January 2022, 2:36 am

Rhace Tarrin
    Homebound

There was a reactive twitch of the corner of his mouth into a smirk - the swordsman could not count the amount of needling that he had received already from certain parties regarding his demeanour. In his life, there originally hadn't really been... time for levity. There was an odd pressure on him to be the best, constantly, unendingly - and that was precisely why he'd left home in order to see if he could, and quote, pull the stick out from between his cheeks. When Dagda had pressed him in just the right way, it forced him to unwind just a touch. The sort of uniformity and precision he had been expected to show for years needed to disappear just a little, and there was a visible shift in Rhace's shoulders as his body relaxed ever so slightly.

"Yeah... sorry. Old habits die hard. Cass and Cord make sure I hear no end of it from them," he said with a grin. The aces were, in fact, generally on his case about most things like that, which was enough to make sure he knew that it was a point of reference to work on. Given how much time he spent with them these days, the fact that they gave him enough crap for it to keep him humble was something that was now becoming a seed planted in the back of his mind for when he wasn't with them.

And then, to the crux of the matter, but in a rather roundabout way. It was very evident that whatever was going on bothered Dagda considerably, but this was no time to either be nosy or to push too hard. Best to keep it simple and honest, as far as Rhace cared. He wasn't a rumour-monger of any sort to begin with, and idle speculation on someone else's life was well outside his wheelhouse. "Truth told, Captain, I've barely any idea why. I mean, I know there are plenty of rumours around the rumour mill at the moment, but I generally prefer to keep my nose out - honestly, all I know is that you've been working yourself to the bone on something."

There was a moment where a quizzical look flashed across his sharp features,

"Whatever it is, it's definitely big, that much I can tell, and I'm all ears for it. I doubt you would have called me if you didn't think my presence necessary."

Now that much was true. This was not blind loyalty, though it may have seemed it at the time. Rhace was here to be a part of the guild, which meant helping fellow guild-mates; this was the reality of the situation he found himself in, and the fact was that he had received help from fellow guild members himself.

TAG: @Dagda WORDS: 467 TOTAL:2682 JOB: N/A
    MEL @ WW

#104E8B
    Dagda
    Dagda

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Dagda 21st January 2022, 1:29 pm

Dagda laughed at the mention of Meliora Vitae’s deputies. It didn’t surprise him that the two were persistent in harrying Rhace to relax his rigid mannerisms. The women made a powerful team, and he was convinced they could accomplish anything they put their minds to. It was a good thing that Cassiti and Cordelia had bonded so quickly. Dagda wasn’t sure if he could have run the guild since his friends’ disappearances without his deputies. They were exactly what Meliora Vitae needed, and what the titan realized he had failed to provide lately - resilience, responsibility, guidance. It warmed his heart to see that they had taken Rhace under their wing when he’d joined the guild. He was in good hands.

The slight ease of Rhace’s stance made Dagda relax his own shoulders. He listened carefully to the answer to his question, observing with a friendly but calculating gaze. What he heard drew a pleased expression to his face. It seemed Rhace’s integrity was stronger than the pull to indulge in gossip, which instantly gained him the Captain’s respect. Though Dagda was truly curious about what was being said, he appreciated the probity of staying out of the rumor mill.

“I see,” Dagda responded after a sip of his coffee. “You’re right, if it wasn’t important I would have addressed it alone. This is a serious matter to me.” His amiable smile grew somber as the familiar ache returned to his heart.

“I don’t know how much you know about me, or how much Cass and Cord have mentioned to you.” The Captain’s past wasn’t exactly a secret, but he made no effort to ensure it was public knowledge. “I’m not from Earthland. My home is a world called Dolomia, and I’m not human. I’m from a race called the Marmor, or stone titans.” Dagda knew he had to give context to the journey he was about to invite Rhace on, so he had to be honest about himself. As he spoke, he extended his left hand with the palm up. Starting from his fingertips his skin would transform into stone, a dark blue slate. He stopped the transformation at his elbow, then reversed the process until his skin was normal again.

“I didn’t come to Earthland by my own choice. I was thrown through a wormhole from Dolomia by a tyrant.” He gritted his teeth at the thought of Sighne, the alien woman who had done the deed. “She and several others were from a race called Mizi and they were invaders of my people. I was on the cusp of a coup when they found out. They cut off my arm in a fight and sent me here.” He waved the metal fingers of his prosthetic arm that Percy had given him.

“It wasn’t easy transitioning to life on Earthland, but during my time here, I've found signs that a Marmor has been here before. It started with a Dolomian animal that I found in the Phoenix Mountains.” With that, Dagda placed his fingers in the corners of his mouth and let out a shrill whistle. After a few moments of silence, a large white creature trotted from the trees. It looked like a mountain goat but much, much larger. Horns curled up from its brow, coiling back neatly next to its ears. The shaggy ungulate walked on six muscular legs over to the two men. Dagda removed an apple from his pocket and fed it to the creature.

“Six is a Hexagoat, a species native to Dolomia. When I found him, I found several items in a saddlebag with him. One of them was an enchanted stone carving that led me to find this ship,” he gestured to the S.S. Endeavor around them. “This ship is a combination of Mizi and Marmor technology. It was meant for space travel, assumingly for the other titan who was here to go home, but they never got to use it.”

“The other items left in the saddlebags were parts of a journal and… a Marmor’s heart.” Dagda winced at the thought of it. He would never forget the horror of realizing what he had found back then. The only way to get a Marmor’s heart was for it to be removed while they were alive. Marmor had the ability to withdraw their own hearts to give to loved ones when they passed away. Being creatures of stone, their hearts were like giant gemstones. The gemstones held the soul and memories of its owner. They were incredibly sacred objects to the titans, but only if taken with consent from the host of the heart. Hearts given could be a myriad of colors and glowed with a warm light, while hearts taken by force shined a cold silver color.

The heart in the saddlebag was silver.

“Whoever wrote the journal was going insane, to put it bluntly,” Dagda continued with a dry laugh, “but in the writings I found mention of various locations around Earthland and something they called the Keys. Trying to decipher their writing was like solving riddles, but I had to know what they meant and what the Marmor’s goal was. If it had anything to do with finding a way to Dolomia from here, I had to know. That’s what I’ve been working on for so long,” he explained, looking steadily at Rhace while running his fingers through the hexagoat's thick fur. His dark eyes showed the hope and desperation that the situation made him feel. It felt relieving to finally spill what had consumed his life wholly for so long. He felt a twinge of guilt that he wasn’t telling his deputies the full story instead, but if this day went well, they would be the next to hear it all. Something had drawn him to call upon Rhace today, so he was leaning into that instinct.

Post WC: 980    Thread WC: 3,662    Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin    Music: Homebound

Rhace Tarrin
    Rhace Tarrin

Player 

Post by Rhace Tarrin 21st January 2022, 10:41 pm

Rhace Tarrin
    Homebound

Well. That was a bombshell. Nobody had actually told Rhace about that, and truthfully it wasn’t exactly something that he was going to ask about, all things considered. There wasn’t really a niche for asking ‘hey, is this person an alien?’ - it was, apparently, a thing that happened around here a little more commonly than the Ca-Elian man had really expected to be, but that was fine. Everyone here came from somewhere else… some, somewhere other than Earthland. Fine by him.

The demonstration in its entirety was rather mindblowing. Blue hardened skin, a six-legged goat– well that explained not only the goat’s name but its very appropriate nomenclature– and even the fact that he’d found one of his own people here that had given the man before him a glimmer of hope that he could get home one day. The fact he’d held all this back from the people around him spoke to two things: first, his discretion, and secondly, his resilience for being able to handle holding back the pain and suffering that he’d been experiencing for so long without managing to break down about it. This was huge. Even the ship was an alien artifact, or so it seemed, and it was impossible not to empathize with someone who had found the actual heart of someone of his own species. That was an insane thing to find, and its painful method of discovery was something beyond Rhace’s knowledge– were he to know that, it would have broken his heart entirely.

He shook his head. He was so sorry. The pain and suffering would have had to have been incredibly intense for the man, knowing that he was so close to the final answer but every time he reached his hand out to seize it, the answer only drifted away just that little bit more. However, as a member of the guild, there were only a few things they prized as common traits: common goodness was one of those things, and respect for the world around them.

“Captain, with respect?”

There was a pause. A long pause. Rhace had to process this titanic amount of information and manage some form of response, given the fact that there was just so much to take in. However, he knew that there was only one real answer that he could possibly give, under the circumstances.

”You shouldn’t even be thinking about us right now. Honestly, if you have a chance to get yourself home, you should take it with two hands and run with it as hard as you can. This guild can, and will, manage. This is something else entirely.”

Another pause, as he studied Dagda’s reaction to it all; it was clear that all of this was beginning to weigh heavily on the mind of the man, that it was consuming his entire life to be both simultaneously searching for a way for him to return home while running a guild - both required a lot of attention, but only one was a truly morally-just cause. While running a guild was nice, it was Rhace’s immediate view that there had to be a greater priority on getting home. His journeys around the world, to see sights and learn things, as well as his recent sojourn home, had taught him that there was value to be had in feeling like one had somewhere to belong. For Meliora Vitae, that may have seemed like an incredibly hypocritical dichotomy; they belonged to a wandering guild aboard an airship– no, the term was starship, now that he knew that it was in fact designed for an alien to return home– and typically travelled the skies and used shuttles to make their way to where they needed to go. Most of its members lived on the ship, and they seemed to have adjusted to the lifestyle. Goddess, what would it be like to live so far detached from everything you loved? Rhace, by contrast, was from Ca-Elum, however he could– and did-- use a shuttle to get home and see his loved ones every now and then in order to make sure his needs were met, now that the vast majority of his warrior’s journey was complete. He could at least access the people and places that he had connections to. Dagda, by contrast, was trapped here, with no way home, very few reminders of his home– Six excepted– and now he was finally given the chance to get some of his life back. No, this was more important than a guild that could run itself with a clear line of succession, and plenty of further succession planning.

”Look. You made a guild with the needs of its members in mind. Which means we’re going to be taking yours into consideration too. How many of these Keys have you found, where are they, and what are we going to do about it right now?”

There was no option for Dagda to escape this; the swordsman was already resolute in the fact that he would be there to help. He had been summoned for a task, and now he knew in his heart what the path forward was here: he was going to help the Captain get home, no matter what happened.

TAG: @Dagda WORDS: 877 TOTAL: 4539 JOB: N/A
    MEL @ WW

#104E8B
    Dagda
    Dagda

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Dagda 6th February 2022, 4:26 pm

Rhace’s response came after a long, thoughtful silence. Dagda had just dropped a information bomb on him, it was a lot to process. Reliving it all as he recanted the tale made that all the more clear. Luckily for him, what his guild member expressed was nothing but reassurance. Rhace encouraged him to take the chance at going home, no matter what. The titan closed his eyes for a moment in relief, saying a silent prayer of thanks in his head to the deity of his people, the World Spirit. The weight of his struggles and the guilt he felt about his guild was starting to alleviate.

Truth be told, he was worried about explaining everything to the guild. Dagda wasn’t usually one to care about the opinions of others, but he treasured Meliora Vitae and its members. They mattered to him and their support meant more than he could say. They were a family away from home. If they had rejected his plea for help, it would have made this journey all the more difficult. Now, he realized how ridiculous that worry was. The guild had fostered a community of mutual support and care, and he was included in that bubble. He’d spent so much time working away from the guild that he felt detached and unworthy of that loyalty. The understanding Rhace expressed as he reminded Dagda of that created a warm feeling in his chest. The guild leaned on each other when they required aid, and he could lean on them now in this time of need.

“Thank you,” he sighed in relief, “I appreciate your help. I have all the Keys luckily, but they were hard as hell to find.” Dagda groaned as he remembered how painstaking the quests were. He’d been all over Ishgar and Earthland to get them. “All of the Keys are in my office,” dark eyes glanced towards the command center that stuck up from the top deck of the S.S. Endeavor. The hub held several meeting rooms as well as offices for him and the deputies.

“Come, I’ll show you,” he stood, gesturing for Rhace to walk with him. Six, annoyed at the sudden disappearance of the attention paid to him, trotted off into the Arborium forests with an offended toss of his horned head. Dagda shook his head, both amused and exasperated at the saucy creature.

Post WC: 398 Thread WC: 4,935 Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin Music: Homebound

Rhace Tarrin
    Rhace Tarrin

Player 

Post by Rhace Tarrin 8th February 2022, 2:31 pm

Rhace Tarrin
    Homebound

”That makes sense,” Rhace admitted; it explained the prolonged absence and the distracted nature of the guildmaster’s job, where he had in fact already done most of the leg work to get to where he needed to be. Truthfully, it mostly seemed now that Dagda would merely need to assemble the Keys wherever they were supposed to go, perform whatever task was required of him, and… that was it. He’d be gone home. Goddess. It seemed so incredibly simple when you put it like that, really.

First, however, came the complex task of managing getting to wherever the keys were needed to be transported to, and then the follow-up task of ensuring that the process went smoothly. Because, knowing the way that everything around here worked, nothing would ever go simply and smoothly to plan. That was just wishful thinking. Besides, if Dagda even thought there was a chance this would go smoothly he would not have asked for assistance. Which, as far as Rhace was concerned, was fine; he could certainly hold his own in the defence of another. Emerald eyes followed the Captain’s motion up towards the ship’s conn tower, where the keys awaited their bearers; it was going to be a heavy task to take them to where their inevitable final resting place was. Truthfully, Rhace simply considered it nothing short of a miracle that the keys were even available to the Captain; the fact that he had a way home was a blessing, one that the swordsman wasn’t going to discount. Never look a gift horse in the mouth, right?

Together, they trudged through the Arboretum towards the tower, which gave them a moment of repose to consider the rest of the situation. There was a slightly amused smile at the antics of the hexagoat - Rhace made a mental note to come back and check on Six later, especially if he wasn’t going to be going back with Dagda - that was another question to be filed away for later. Besides, his mind needed to be on the here and now and the task that was before him. There was a lot for him to take in, but really, it could be cut down to a few key questions - one more important than the rest.

”Are you expecting any sort of resistance on this side?” Rhace asked, before he paused and gave that question a little more thought. ”Or, to put it better, what sort of resistance are you expecting?”

That was a far better question, especially considering the fact that Dagda asked for what was effectively an armed escort to the location to take the keys. It filled Rhace simultaneously with a momentous sense of importance and gravitas as to what was about to happen, but also gave him a sharp sense of foreboding. This was huge. This was a capstone event for the Captain, and Rhace was going to support it to the end - he was still coming to terms being in a foreign country, let alone an entire foreign planet. That had to sting, on some level, surely. It was why Rhace wanted to back Dagda’s bid to get home; this world was secondary to where he hailed from.

Time would tell, as would these Keys.

TAG: @Dagda WORDS: 547 TOTAL: 5482 JOB: N/A
    MEL @ WW

#104E8B
    Dagda
    Dagda

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Dagda 18th February 2022, 11:32 am

Dagda’s expression turned grim at Rhace’s question. He pondered the best way to answer. Already he had worried over and over again that whatever he was heading to would be a suicide mission. Now that he had sought out help, he was more confident in his chances but with new worries added on. What if he was leading Rhace into unnecessary danger? They had reached the base of the command tower, which housed an elevator to take them upwards. Within seconds, they were rising up above the Arborium.

“I’m not sure,” he finally answered after some thought. “The journal cut off before any mention of what purpose the Keys ended up serving. The last entry explained how the writer was heading to Seven after pinpointing a general location for where the Keys belonged. I can only assume the Marmor didn’t survive to write down any more details. I have no clue what lies ahead, but I’m not getting my hopes up.” With a ding! the elevator deposited them into the command hub. To the left were several small offices and an empty meeting room, distinguished by labels on the doors. To the right was a room labeled Captain. At the end of the hallway was a set of stairs that led up to the command center itself.

Leading Rhace into his office, Dagda gestured for him to wait by a table in the center of the room. Navigating around his desk, which was an embarrassing mess of papers and another empty coffee cup that he placed his current one next to, the titan reached for a large box on a high shelf. It was made of a matte black metal and looked rather heavy, but he lifted it down with ease as he had so many times before.

Upon returning to the table where he left Rhace, the Captain placed the box between them. The latches’ protective coating had worn away with use. Placing his fingers on the latches, Dagda took a deep breath before opening the box. From within he removed the journal, several maps, and a large leather bag. There were more papers in the box that he didn’t bother touching.

“Feel free to look at whatever you want,” he invited, placing down the journal and maps but holding onto the bag. The drawstring of the bag was tied in a knot, so he picked at it for a moment until he could pull the bag open. Gently, he emptied the contents out onto the tabletop. Forming a pile as they tumbled out were sixteen fist-sized chunks of obsidian that let off a magical aura to those who could sense magic. Each was carved with beautiful markings that had been inlaid with quartz, lapis lazuli, selenite, and other pretty types of stone. The only thing that didn’t come out of the bag, which Dagda now removed and cradled in his hand, was the Marmor’s heart that had been in Six's saddlebags. It looked vaguely like a larger human heart but was completely solid and shone a dull, lifeless silver.

Post WC: 511    Thread WC: 5,993    Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin    Music: Homebound

Rhace Tarrin
    Rhace Tarrin

Player 

Post by Rhace Tarrin 18th February 2022, 12:48 pm

Rhace Tarrin
    Homebound

The elevator ride to the command deck was a familiar enough one for Rhace. After all, if Cass or Cord needed him, they'd call - and more than once he had attended the offices here for whatever nefarious purpose Cord had in mind. It was never Cass' fault, all things being equal. She wasn't the one who came up with such nefarious schemes as steal Rhace's clothes while he was in the shower. Thank you, Cordelia.

"Right. So we could be walking into a death trap," Rhace said as little more than a way of thought - before his lips curled into a devilish smile. Goddess, he really had been spending way too much time with Lethe. Was it a little overconfident? Sure, but that was the attitude that he needed to project - the surety that he could handle the problem before him, but not so much so that he was willing to run into excessive danger and put others at risk. "Very well. We'll manage even the toughest foe."

Finally, in the sanctity of the Captain's office, they were able to reveal everything about the mission with a little more discretion. As it stood, it seemed that all of this was going to be a wild ride that was going to take life from zero to a hundred in about ten seconds when they actually put boots on the dirt in Seven. He couldn't help but think that this mission was going to change more than one life. Dagda's certainly. His own? Very likely. Nothing would be the same.

There. In his hand - that had to be the heart, for it was the only item that matched the descriptions given; these smaller stones, the keys, were brilliant. While Rhace's senses were wonderfully keen, they were unfortunately not magical so that their true nature could not be gleaned by him - but he was a smart enough cookie that he could work out precisely what these stones were. Without thinking, Rhace scooped one up with his fingers, letting it play over his flesh with its jagged edges as he gave it a once-over, as well as those that formed the rest of the collection of volcanic stone. They were beautiful and played out with an inner warmth, that was for sure. Carved with the hands of a master to be inlaid with such resplendence as they were, it was clear that these absolutely had to be the key stones that Dadga had sought in his quest.

"Thanks," Rhace said, even if it was a little too late for the acknowledgement to come. He was far too preoccupied with the stone in his hand, barely even casting a glance at the man whose stony gaze was locked upon the thing that captured his attention. The fact that this was the heart of one of his people was not lost on Rhace, but he wished not to draw attention to it - it didn't seem like the proper thing to do. So, no, the blademaster pondered the key in his fingers, and considered the next action that they were going to take. He was ready, after all. There was very little preparation that Rhace actually needed to do these days, now that he'd picked up his new combat tricks at the urging of Lethe. He was ready to depart on any trip, any time, any where, at little more than a thought. It was sort of nice to have a high-tech pocket dimension at one's fingertips that could carry just about anything one needed.

To that end, Rhace began to ponder their journey from the Endeavor with a little more seriousness, knowing that the time of departure was rapidly approaching them now. The stone was finally placed back with its brethren, and his eyes cast to the maps upon the table with a keen and appraising eye. He could see that whatever was on these maps he did not understand, but their true meaning would become clear enough with time.

Instead, his eyes finally cast up at the Captain. "Were there any additional pertinent details we might need? I think we have enough to go off between the two of us."

TAG: @Dagda WORDS: 702 TOTAL: 6695 JOB: N/A
    MEL @ WW

#104E8B
    Dagda
    Dagda

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Dagda 18th February 2022, 1:55 pm

Drawing his attention from the heart and placing it softly on the table, Dagda watched as Rhace observed one of the Keys. They truly were beautiful artifacts and if they got into the wrong hands, they could certainly be sold for a pretty penny. After everything he had been through, the titan wouldn’t part with them easily. They were the keys to this quest he had given everything to, which would determine his future and the most important thing of all - whether or not he could return to his son.

“Hmm,” Dagda mused over everything he knew, trying to find what details may be necessary for them both to know. While he thought, he released the tie holding his hair that had become loose since the early morning and gathered the black and white locks back out of his face again. The titan could very well retell everything down to the smallest detail and let Rhace decide, but he was antsy to get on the ground. The sooner they got to work, the sooner they could know what came next and what they must do.

“Each Key was found in a different country. Several of them I had to barter for, others I had to fight tooth and nail for. The easiest one was in Fiore, believe it or not,” he laughed. “When I found the Endeavor in the Phoenix Mountains, it was hidden underneath the pilot seat upstairs.” Gesturing to the ceiling and the navigation and control room above them, he shook his head in a brief moment of amusement. “Anyway, I don’t know how they ended up scattered around Earthland again after the Marmor had collected them originally. Someone must have returned them, or there was a spell cast to return them. That’s what I think, at least.”

Dagda leaned over the table and flipped through the maps, pulling one out from the pile. It was neatly drawn, but covered in incoherent notes and drawings on the margins in a language not used on this planet. It was a handmade map of Seven, which the giant ship was currently flying over. The thing that stood out the most was the western mountain front, which had been drawn and re-drawn in several different colors of ink.

“Here,” Dagda pointed to the mountains. “This is a map of Seven, and those are the western mountains. I’ve asked around in Septim and heard of a few abandoned towns carved out of the mountains.” It hadn’t been too hard to get information in Seven’s capital city. The Sevenites and Meliora Vitae shared many of the same goals and values, so the guild had been welcomed warmly by the locals when the S.S. Endeavor had entered the country several days ago.

“I figured those towns are the best place to start. The lines on this map are so enhanced there that it must mean something significant. None of the other maps have anything like it.” The Captain spread the other maps out. Several had circles or boxes around landscapes or towns and all were covered in more notes and words, but none had the colorful re-outlining of any features like the Seven map did. “At first I figured someone was just being artistic, but the journal entries mentioned Seven more than any other location, and the last entry was before the writer visited Seven.”

“Other than that, I can’t think of anything else that might be a crucial detail.” Dagda straightened his back, looking to Rhace once more.

Post WC: 586    Thread WC: 7,281    Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin    Music: Homebound

Rhace Tarrin
    Rhace Tarrin

Player 

Post by Rhace Tarrin 18th February 2022, 2:31 pm

Rhace Tarrin
    Homebound

Rhace almost contained a chuckle at the words that Dagda spoke in regards to the keystones being scattered after their first earthly collection. Of course it was a spell. It was always a spell. A failed attempt at use and the magics imbued in the items were invoked to create a reaction, so that their mystical nature could be revealed to them. Rhace had little patience for magical artifacts and their odd effects; as a trueborn Ca-Elian, their chances of being born magical were some of the lowest in the world. He was fortunate enough to know not one but two Ca-Elian mages himself, which was a shocking thing, one of which was actually a fellow member of the Guild and a longtime family friend. However, the fact that magic was such a minor part of life back home for him meant that he always had some slight disdain in the back of his mind. "Spooky magic at its absolute finest," Rhace commented dryly. "I'll never understand it, really. Why does there always need to be spooky magic on top of the insane quest? Why is there a quest in the first place? Mages are weird."

Okay, yeah, that time he laughed. Mages, man. Rhace was never going to understand them, not being one, and he was okay with that. He was getting used to being surrounded by people who could bend reality to their will when all he had was a sword and some plucky courage. It was a very strange dichotomy, but hey - wizards bled too, at the end of the day.

Once that particular moment of distraction settled down, Rhace turned his attention to the actual task at hand. Focusing on the Captain during his explanation, he processed it as it came. The fact that Seven seemed to be the key made sense; it was a little further out of the way than most, had a very highly magical population - actually one of the highest in the world - and would be a wonderful place to settle down and cross the border between worlds with how utterly focused on the natural world the country was. Yeah, they were definintely very similar to the guild themselves. It just seemed to click.

"That seems reasonable," concluded the swordsman as his emerald eyes darted down to observe the map himself in closer detail. He wasn't so geographically inclined, having yet to be truly focused on the navigation of the world; really, not only had Dagda seen the entire world on his travels, but he also captained an airship that ventured across so much sky that the land below became navigational markers. Knowing these maps intimately had become part of his life's work and it was almost impressive in regards to the level of detail that Dagda could exude when it came to his knowledge of the geography of the regions below.

"We have a starting point then. Let's pick one of these mountain villages, see where it takes us, and hope that whatever awaits us is entirely prepared to receive guests."

Whatever was there was going to find two very strong-willed men who were prepared to do whatever it took to see out the end of this quest, that was for sure.

TAG: @Dagda WORDS: 545 TOTAL: 7826 JOB: N/A
    MEL @ WW

#104E8B
    Dagda
    Dagda

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Dagda 18th February 2022, 5:42 pm

”Sounds good to me,” Dagda replied. He began packing up the stones back into the leather bag, carefully placing the heart on the top of the last one. The box was returned to its home on the shelf, all but the Seven map inside. The leather bag was stuffed into Dagda’s backpack, which had been retrieved from its place on the floor next to his desk. Inside, he already had water and emergency rations. One could never be too prepared. With the needed materials on hand, they were ready for whatever was to come.

After making sure the location of the first town’s location was programmed into the pod they were riding in, the two set off from the S.S. Endeavor towards the western mountains of Seven. Over the thick woodland they flew, the canopy of the forest blocking their view of anything but branches and leaves. It was about a half hour journey in the swift pod before they touched down on a rocky slope just down the hill from the first town.

“Ready?” Dagda asked in much brighter spirits than he had been earlier. He was thrilled to finally be taking the last step, finding the end of what he had been searching for for so long. Plus, it was a beautiful day in Seven. The sun always boosted his mood.

Assuming Rhace agreed, the titan led them from the pod and up the slope. The backpack he carried was heavy with the Keys, but Dagda hardly paid it any mind. What may lie ahead had all his attention. Coming to a stop on top of a boulder, he looked over the first town. Cut into the underside of a cliff, several dozen buildings lined what might have once been called streets. Each one was made of the same stone as the mountain, the settlement having been carved from the mountain itself which loomed overhead. The rocky awning over the ghost town shrouded it in deep shadows despite the brilliant sunlight outside.

“Fantastic,” he muttered in awe, staring at the architectural wonders. This place reminded him so desperately of home that he nearly forgot to breathe. No wonder the previous Marmor had come here. It was like Dolomia on Earthland.

Post WC: 372    Thread WC: 8,198    Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin    Music: Homebound

Rhace Tarrin
    Rhace Tarrin

Player 

Post by Rhace Tarrin 18th February 2022, 6:16 pm

Rhace Tarrin
    Homebound

As soon as they had arrived on the terrestrial lands of Seven, Rhace had considered offering Dagda the convenience and courtesy of storing the keys within the dimensional tapestries of Rhace's utility belt, but had decided against it; the fact was that Dagda deserved to be the bearer of the items that would bring him home and, perhaps, it would serve as a metaphysical reminder of the weight of the journey that he carried. Not that he needed another reminder, to be fair; this wasn't going to be something he forgot any time soon, especially considering the prize that was at stake upon his return to his homeland. The Marmor before him was going to get his wish, however. Of that Rhace was certain. He planned fully on ensuring this mission's completion, and Rhace would see this to the end no matter the cost to him personally. This was the way that it was going to be - his determination would be the death of him one day, likely. The Ca-Elian swordsman didn't mind one iota of that, however - a worthy cause merited such attention as this.

But the view of this city, wrought of stone such that master stonemasons would have carved it over innumerable years out of the same pure rock that this entire mountain was something to behold. It was a perfectly-crafted thing, with lines and angles that could not have come from anything but the hands of a true master of the craft. It was breathtaking, truly magnificent - almost otherworldly. Perhaps that was the point.

"I've never seen anything like it," Rhace had to admit. This was unique and, frankly, something to be marvelled at. Actually, so much so that he pulled out his iLac from the white boxes of his utility belt that was now strapped around his waist and snapped a photo - the girls would probably would want to see the adventure that they embarked upon.

However, the iLac was swapped for two items - first, a vambrace for Rhace's left wrist, which was strapped on quickly and magnetically sealed into place so that were his brand-new energy shield to be required he would have it ready and prepared for any enemy that crossed their path, and then of course the legendary blade with which his family's history was written. The onyx blade of Granveil materialised in the swordsman's hand as if out of thin air, its familiar weight a boon to his ability to fight against his foes. The blade rested against his shoulder, the flat pressing against the fabric of his shoulder cape as he looked out over the distant assembly of buildings. It was reassuring to have his weapons prepared, for not one day passed that Granveil was not in his hands for use.

"Right. Shall we?" he asked, already taking his first steps towards the stone village.

TAG: @Dagda WORDS: 481 TOTAL: 8679 JOB: N/A
    MEL @ WW

#104E8B
    Dagda
    Dagda

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Dagda 18th February 2022, 7:35 pm

“The Sevenites really know what they’re doing,” Dagda agreed, nodding slowly. He grinned as Rhace took out his iLac to take a picture of the grand stone city. It was a memorable sight to see. He nearly did the same, but he was thinking of the future. His iLac might not even work when he returned home, and it might confuse people to show them pictures on it. Besides, he would rather weave a story for his son of the sight that lay before them - embellished a little, of course. He knew Abelios would love a tale of grand adventure and a mystical stone city that was swallowed in the mouth of the mountain.

From the corner of his eye he watched Rhace prepare his armor and sword. The blade was quite impressive and clearly made with expert craftsmanship. The warrior wielded it like it was an extension of his body. Dagda wasn’t well versed on weaponry on Earthland, but the sword looked dangerous. Being on the other end of that blade was not something he would wish on anyone. The titan himself bore no weapons, but he was confident that the both of them could defend themselves if need be.

“Yes, let’s.” Dagda followed Rhace on the rocky path towards the village. It was a few minutes before they reached the first building. “Let’s split up, but stay close. Within shouting distance, I’d say. If you see anything odd, holler.” With a curt nod of his head, the Captain branched off towards the north end of the town.

As he wandered streets and peered into buildings, Dagda’s enthusiasm waned slowly. Whoever had lived here before cleaned out everything from the buildings, or perhaps thieves had reached it first. There were no abandoned books, no furniture or pictures. There weren’t even footprints in the dusty floors. Nothing had lived here for a long time. The only thing of interest were the buildings themselves.

Each main doorway to the buildings was on the east side, no matter which structure it was. The entrance was lined with baked and glazed clay tiles that stood out against the gray stone. Most of the houses were in the shadow of the mountain above, but those that were graced by the sun’s rays were different. The tiles on their doorways changed color in the sunlight, ranging from rich blues to soft purples. It was likely a glaze enhanced with magic then baked onto the tile.

“Find anything?” Dagda called out, his voice echoing between the walls towards wherever Rhace was. He took note of the sun-touched tiles, but nothing else seemed to be of major importance.

Post WC: 442 Thread WC: 9,121 Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin Music: Homebound

Rhace Tarrin
    Rhace Tarrin

Player 

Post by Rhace Tarrin 18th February 2022, 8:18 pm

Rhace Tarrin
    Homebound

Their journey began in earnest as they reached the streets of this little stone village, which Rhace could appreciate the seriousness of. At this distance it was a good chance to examine the stonework that was employed here, and it was just as fantastic as he had hoped upon their approach. The strain of time notwithstanding, this place had weathered much and survived well, preserved for future generations to see as they came to learn about this place. The buildings were almost a little too uniform, all pointing in the same direction, and what little sun they found dappling over the rooftops making the buildings shimmer was in fact an incredibly interesting touch. It was not in his usual wheelhouse of design; he preferred grand, sweeping architecture and beautiful carvings, but he could get all of that here. This reflective colour was just the cherry on top.

"Yeah, I found whoever made this place is more than a little extra," Rhace yelled, but the dryness in his tone was entirely readily apparent.

As he walked, Rhace found himself carried down towards the north end of one of the streets that they were walking down, when his eyes caught glimpse of a flash - something wasn't quite right here, and he couldn't quite place exactly what it was. The only that that appeared even remotely out of the ordinary was a sundial that Rhace found etched into the stone - and only then, he'd barely noticed that there was a small triangle of stone jutting out of the floor that he'd almost tripped on just before he'd actually located the thing proper. His foot brushed over the layer of dust that had settled over the stone device, but it was clear as day what it was intended for - after all, Ca-Elum had them in many of their ancient ruined settlements to tell time. Society had evolved past using the sun to tell time. There were sixteen symbols carved into the stone that Rhace could not readily identify to begin with, and the triangular stone flag poking out of the floor was barely able to reach the top of his foot.

Yet, as Rhace looked more towards the small thing inscribed into the floor, it didn't make sense. Yes, it was surrounded by a series of sigils that he did not recognise in any way, shape or form, but something about this sundial felt off. For two reasons: one, Rhace couldn't quite tell what direction it was pointing, and two, this sundial was in an area where there was little more than shadows. Why on Earthland would they require a sundial under the shade of a mountain? It beggared belief as to why this thing existed. More to the point, the actual triangle used to shield the sun that most sundials employed was far, far smaller than its usual height; it could barely shade one hour, let alone entire half-days at a time. Was this actually a sundial, or something else?

Then Rhace paused. He realised - why speculate, when there was someone who could potentially identify this item was right here on the journey with him? After all, it might have been in a language that Rhace did not understand but Dagda did, and there might have been some form of cryptic warning as to what was going on.

"Hey, Captain? Found something. You might wanna get some eyes on this."

Rhace could have given a number of reasons as to why this might not be an actual sundial, but the most prevalent at this point was the fact that the sun barely existed on these streets.

TAG: @Dagda WORDS: 608 TOTAL: 9729 JOB: N/A
    MEL @ WW

#104E8B
    Dagda
    Dagda

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Dagda 11th March 2022, 2:30 pm

Dagda chuckled at the dry humor in Rhace’s echoed response. It was true, whoever had built and lived in this stone city had a taste for extravagant decor. Making such unique tiles took the skill of a magician and an artist, and the buildings would require a village of workers to chisel it into the side of the mountain.

The titan ducked into a few more houses as he meandered towards where Rhace’s voice had come from. Again, most were empty and dusty husks of a civilization long gone. Occasionally he found signs of animal life; paw prints, stray feathers, and a pile of bones. It wasn’t until he heeded Rhace’s call that he discovered something out of place. Leading up a stone staircase in the direction of his guildmate was a set of faded footprints. Dagda crouched momentarily to get a closer look. The prints were made in the sandy dust of the city streets and had been worn by weather over time. It was hard to tell more than just the fact they were made by human or humanoid feet.

Following the tracks up the stairs and through the streets, they led him in a roundabout way to Rhace and his finding. The previous person seemed to circle the street in a wide arc before stopping at the edge of the area. “There’s tracks,” Dagda commented as he approached, gesturing to the faded steps behind him, parallel to his own. “I can’t tell who or what from.”

Immediately his eyes were drawn to the shape in the ground at Rhace’s feet. “What is it?” he asked, crouching to get a closer look and run his fingers over the dusty stone.

Post WC: 282 Thread WC: 10,011 Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin Music: Homebound

Rhace Tarrin
    Rhace Tarrin

Player 

Post by Rhace Tarrin 11th March 2022, 4:16 pm

Rhace Tarrin
    Homebound

"So, someone's been here lately for sure," Rhace concluded, hand coming to his chin as he puzzled out the way to proceed on this particular thing. If someone had been here, then it was possibly their travelling friend who had attempted to search for the portal, and this village was a clue in the right direction. Rhace hoped so. He didn't want to be out here on a wild goose chase for a number of reasons-- one, there was no point wasting their time, and two, he really wanted to get some closure on Dagda's behalf for all of this. This was  a huge undertaking for sure, one that needed sufficient work to be given to it. Nothing but success was on his mind.

As Dagda began to crouch, so did Rhace. Hands-- both titanic and normal-- began to brush away the layer of dust and dirt that covered the diminutive artifice, its nature becoming revealed as both Dagda and Rhace began to peel back the layer that had been placed by the passing of time and the whims of nature. What remained was something completely foreign to the Elumish man, for it was surrounded not only by sixteen symbols made as raised carvings that he could not decipher at all, but then within the main circle of the emblem were even more things that Rhace couldn't understand to begin with for he had never seen them before. Words, possibly, or phrases. Maybe just letters that represented something when additional meaning was imparted to the whole thing. But for Rhace, who lived here, he had seen sundials plenty back home when ancient ruins had them aplenty.

"Look, I'm not sure. I wanted to say sundial, right? But that doesn't make sense when this entire thing is covered over by a rock," Rhace said, gesturing vaguely upwards at the stony canopy that shrouded them in that moment. True to that, this place was in fact a poor choice for the placement of a sundial. No true amount of sun could have reached this thing for it to be used as an instrument for telling time. After all, a sundial was entirely non-functional without the giant ball of nuclear flame above being able to reach it in a reasonable fashion.

Hold on. Wait. Something was starting to add up.

"Hey, uh, Captain? How many keystones did you say there were again?" Rhace asked, realisation suddenly dawning on him. Whatever maormer tongue had inscriptions probably had actual meaning to the leader of the guild, but Rhace harboured no such pause in his logic. As such, he could approach this from a different direction - perhaps it served as instructions, or something entirely unknown to the swordsman himself; however, there was no denying that if the number of keystones and sigils here were linked, then this was one clue on the path that they'd need to be following. It made sense. It was the only thing about all of this that made sense to him - this required foreign language understanding which Rhace absolutely lacked, and possibly some further knowledge on the mores and customs of a people from another planet. Way too much for his smooth little brain.

TAG: @Dagda WORDS: 536 TOTAL: 10,547 JOB: N/A
    MEL @ WW

#104E8B
    Dagda
    Dagda

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Dagda 12th March 2022, 7:17 pm

As the two men brushed dust from the stonecraft in the ground, various markings and grooves became more visible. The lines were more rough than those on the keystones with chisel marks still showing faintly. Time and weather had worn down the whole surface from its former assumed glory. The circle around the sundial-esque carving held sixteen symbols. It took a moment, but Dagda recognized the markings and his eyebrows rose in surprise.

“Sixteen,” he murmured as his eyes tracked the symbols in order around the ring. The text counted upwards from one to sixteen in a mix of Marmor, Mizi, and Earthland language. “It matches the stones,” he added, coming to the same conclusion as his companion. Gently he dusted off more of the sundial, pushing on some of the sections to see if there was any give to them. There had to be something this creation could do, some way to interact with it more than just reading the text.

“There’s more. This is Marmori.” In a smaller writing around the very outer edge of the dial was a phrase in Marmor text. It was very faint, so Dagda had to stand back up and peer at it from further away to read what it said. “Trust in the heavens… for they will…” he read out as he paced in a circle around the sundial, “light the way.” The Captain ceased his steps, pausing to ponder. “That’s odd,” he mused, looking upward at the rocky ceiling above them. It was unusual for a Marmor to praise the sky. They were creatures believed to have been created from the mountains of Dolomia themselves by a goddess who took the form of the planet. Their songs sung of that World Spirit who carved the titans with her own hands and compliments were often paid by comparing others to the strong, sturdy, bountiful land they lived on. The sky played little importance in their legends, so why would a Marmor dedicate words to it on a sundial of all things? It was uncharacteristic.

“My people don’t worship any deities of the sky,” he explained, tilting his head as he looked up at the mountain above their heads. “It is highly unusual for a Marmor to praise the heavens. We worship the earth.” Dagda paced back and forth while looking upwards, tapping a finger on his chin. “What if we touch the Keys to the sundial? But how does that connect to the heavens?” The titan’s thoughts ran from his mouth as they appeared.

Post WC: 422    Thread WC: 10,969    Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin    Music: Homebound

Last edited by Dagda on 12th March 2022, 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rhace Tarrin
    Rhace Tarrin

Player 

Post by Rhace Tarrin 12th March 2022, 7:59 pm

Rhace Tarrin
    Homebound

"I mean... they'd have to have been here to listen to local beliefs and legends, right? What if they were looking at it from the local perspective?"

Rhace knew little bits and pieces. Was he a particularly devout man? Not really, mostly claiming belief in the Goddess when it suited his needs - usually when there was a crisis of faith to be resolved. In this particular instance, however, he wasn't sure if it referred to the heaven where souls went after death, or in fact to the skies and the stars - both were in fact equally likely. However, the more he thought about it, the more it made sense that someone who had lived on Earthland for a considerable period of time would have contemplated local Earthland meaning for particular phrases, and contemplated further that someone who had absorbed local culture would consider that there wasn't just a goddess in the sky - there was the entire firmament of glistening, beautiful stars; the stars that blossomed each night, and the blazing star that crossed the horizon each and every day. Would it then make sense that someone from another world used local parlance in order to reach a far-off place? It seemed to work for Rhace, no matter how distant it seemed. It wouldn't do to keep all of his thoughts on this inside, though, because Dagda might not think the same way he did - the sheer fact that he was a Marmor and had been conditioned to believe the Marmor way might inspire a different train of thought to someone who had lived on Earthland for all their life.

"The heavens might just be a reference to the sky - particularly space, I guess. Wherever all the stars are. This might just be saying 'hey go to space'. I really am not sure."

Exhaling, Rhace looked down at the odd sundial. That smallish triangle was interesting to him, if nothing else - Rhace didn't know which way it was pointing, but maybe it indicated the direction that they needed to go next. He didn't have a compass or anything on him that would tell him what his orientation was and not only was he not smart enough to work out direction by time and sun, the sun was currently not visible to him thanks to the massive rocky outcropping that was in the way. Whatever the case was here, the fact remained that this entire thing was a mystery. A puzzle, of its own sort, and Rhace lacked almost every single piece in order to solve its innermost mysteries. These were things that perhaps only a Marmor could understand.

The case of the sixteen stones matching to the sigils remained at this point, and Rhace decided that giving his energy only to what was in front of him and not to the what if scenarios had to be the final choice he made here. He exhaled, then contemplated. "We could try touching them, sure. Might do something. Might do nothing. Might kill us. Heck, it might just tell us where to go next," mused the swordsman as he looked down at the sixteen markings, before a smirk crossed his lips. "Willing to risk it all for this one, sir?"

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

TAG: @Dagda WORDS: 548 TOTAL: 11,517 JOB: N/A
    MEL @ WW

#104E8B
    Dagda
    Dagda

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Dagda 12th March 2022, 9:57 pm

”I see,” Dagda replied, bringing his gaze back to Rhace. He hadn’t considered that the previous titan who had been on Earthland could have picked up some of the local culture and language. The journal told of their adventures in finding the Keys, but that may have just been a brief glimpse into their life. They could have been on Earthland for many, many years, long enough to assimilate into human culture.

“Hmm… that could be it. Dolomia could be very, very far across the universe,” he agreed. If viewing the words through the eyes of an Earthlander, it would make sense that they were talking about space or the sky. Certain people on this planet seemed to have an intense fascination with outer space and the stars. It was tied deeply to the legends of many cultures. Whatever cultures his predecessor had lived in could have influenced them with the astral infatuation.

“Let’s do it. We won’t know until we try,” Dagda responded, mirroring Rhace’s grin. He was starting to appreciate the man’s sense of humor. They might die, but at this point, what could be gained without a little risk? The Captain removed his backpack, placing it on the ground next to the sundial. From within he removed the keystones one by one, matching a numbered sigil to each. He had no clue if there was a particular order to them.

When all the stones were in place, he stepped back to put some distance between himself and the sundial in case it became dangerous. For a moment, nothing but silence filled the deserted stone town. Only a slight breeze whispered sweet nothings between the buildings. Then, from the carved dial came a burst of magic energy that caused Dagda to flinch in surprise. It glowed with a faint golden light which, after growing brighter for a moment, shot out from the circle in a straight line as if it were a liquid being pushed through a tube in the ground at mach speed. The end disappeared from sight around the corner of a building and the street was motionless once more.

“Well, that was strange,” the titan stared curiously at the glowing sundial. “Do you think we should follow it?”

Post WC: 373 Thread WC: 11,890 Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin Music: Homebound

Rhace Tarrin
    Rhace Tarrin

Player 

Post by Rhace Tarrin 13th March 2022, 12:33 pm

Rhace Tarrin
    Homebound

For the most part, Rhace didn't wish that Dolomia was incredibly far across the universe. After all, that was going to make for an incredibly long trip and, as far as he could tell, one that could not necessarily be made in reverse without a lot of trouble. At the end of the day, that was something that Rhace knew Dagda was probably going to want to do, and there would be plenty of people in the guild that would miss the Marmor for what it was worth. To be unable to see the people in one's life was the problem here to begin with; if the end of that journey just became creating a new subset of that problem, what was the point? Then again, if Dagda was forced to make a choice here, Rhace would make the same choice the Captain was each and every time. There was far more value in his returning home and never seeing Earthland again if it meant being back with everything that his heart yearned for.

Then, once the final keystone was placed, they got a free light show. For their trouble they received a glowing beacon of energy, one that shot out from the sundial-esque device that was beneath their feet. It was certainly a beautiful thing, as the beam of glowing power scintillated with what little sunlight it was receiving above. The golden line was something to be investigated, for sure. Wherever it went, it likely contained the next part of the answer that they needed to chase.

"Strange is certainly a word for it," Rhace commented dryly, trying to contain his lack of surprise. In all fairness, when it came to magic, he was neither experienced nor tolerant; while he didn't hate mages, he knew that they were capable of a great many things. Things that he could never be, things that technology could not always hope to match even though Meliora Vitae itself was home to technology so advanced it was literally out of this world. He benefitted from such technology constantly - the utility belt wrapped tightly around his waist proved that point thoroughly. However, when he knew people whose swings of a sword could decimate buildings, cuts so powerful that the after-trailing heat rivalled that of a small sun, when he had misery and tragedy follow in the wake of incredibly powerful mages. And that was just Lethe. There were plenty more of them out there, as modern times were all too willing to prove over, and over, and over again.

"I think we'd be insane not to follow it at this point," Rhace added, before he leaned down to start collecting the sixteen keystones, presenting them to the Captain as he scooped them off the dusty floor. At this point, they'd probably still need them, which meant that there was plenty more for them to be doing as they approached the future that they forged for themselves. The only answer was the path that the light illuminated, which was precisely where the Tarrin scion began to go - sword in hand, ready to face whatever it was that was thrown at them next on this grand quest to return a man to where he rightly belonged.

TAG: @Dagda WORDS: 541 TOTAL: 12,431 JOB: N/A
    MEL @ WW

#104E8B
    Dagda
    Dagda

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Dagda 13th March 2022, 2:50 pm

Upon Rhace’s agreement to follow the strange magic line, the two packed up the keystones and left the sundial behind. Despite the absence of the carved artifacts, the dial remained aglow with golden light. It was unclear how long the effects of the magic would hold, so all they could do was continue to investigate.

The end of the line was far out of sight, but the magic flare left in its wake was easy to follow. It twisted and turned between the buildings, heading deeper into the city towards the back of the opening carved into the cliff. The looming stone wall marked the edge of the city and the heart of the mountain.

Movement caught Dagda’s eye. “Look!” Shooting up the wall towards the stalactite-covered canopy high above was the trail of golden light. It stopped halfway up the wall several stories above their heads and began drawing an outline then filling it in by tracing the shape over and over inside the original outline until it was complete. What was left on the wall was a rough handprint mark. The line didn’t continue traveling after its creation was complete.

“Interesting,” the Captain mused as they came to the base of the wall. The mark was so high up and far larger than a human hand. He had a hunch as to why.

“Hold this, if you don’t mind,” Dagda dropped the rucksack straps from his shoulders, handing the bag towards Rhace. He was used to its weight, so he didn’t even think that it might be heavier for someone else to carry. He also detached his prosthetic arm carefully, twisting it out of the locked position from the base and popping loose the nodes where the wires of the sensory system connected. The arm was placed on the windowsill of the closest building. What remained with him was the metal base that Percy had installed to preserve the nerve endings in his arm. “I’m getting a closer look.” These new developments had set alight a hopeful excitement in the titan’s veins. He gave his actions less thought than usual.

Dagda’s skin began to change to stone, dark blue slate starting at his heart and spreading over his body like wildfire. Spires and spikes sprouted from his head and shoulders, and his features became more rough, molding to the untamed shape of rock. Down his left arm appeared many glowing sigils, the ancient marks of the Leviathan - the leader of the Marmor clans. The base on his right arm remained unchanged, for it was imbued with magic that staved off the slate transformation from the metal. This enchantment allowed it to remain with him during this switch and change only in size but not in material. When the slate had consumed his body completely, he began to grow. Higher and higher he stretched until the transformation slowed. This was his true form, the shape of Marmor at their core: giant stone titans carved lovingly from the mountains of Dolomia themselves.

Dagda now towered high above Rhace’s head and the handprint was about at his eye level. Glowing eyes set into the blue slate face peered carefully at the mark on the wall. The blaze danced with lively energy in front of him, as if inviting him in. Throwing caution to the wind, he raised his giant hand and placed it on the handprint. It was only slightly bigger than his hand. As soon as he made contact, the glowing intensified around his stony fingers before the line of light once again shot upwards towards the mountain roof. The Captain’s stony head tilted backwards so his gaze could follow its path. When it reached the top, the line zig-zagged between the stalactites, heading towards the south end of the canopy.

All at once the ceiling came alive with golden light. The trail had met its destination. Stalactites radiated with a vivid brightness that covered the entire south side of the roof. It seemed the former civilians had enchanted the rock above their heads to emulate the sunlight that the city so desperately lacked. It was a genius system for the ancient dwellers and a fitting creation for an old town in a land so deeply intertwined with magic. Whoever had created the sundial had taken advantage of that abandoned system, hijacking the magic to use for their own means.

“It needed a Marmor’s touch to continue,” Dagda rumbled, trying to talk quietly so as not to knock loose any stone from the mountain with audial vibrations. His voice was much deeper in this form, so deep one could almost feel the sound when he spoke. “Go check the sundial, it must be connected somehow. I’m not sure I can leave this, the light might disappear if I walk away.” The titan tilted his massive head in a gesture towards the handprint on the wall. He didn't want to risk losing the faux sunshine and the clue it might give them.

Post WC: 832    Thread WC: 13,263    Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin    Music: Homebound

Rhace Tarrin
    Rhace Tarrin

Player 

Post by Rhace Tarrin 14th March 2022, 3:49 am

Rhace Tarrin
    Homebound

At the Captain's command, Rhace's eyes followed to where the light began to creep towards the concealed heavens, dancing its way up towards the canopy. As the light began to reach its inevitable terminus, Rhace looked over to Dagda, who was now staring intently at the light as it traipsed its way skyward. All of a sudden, Rhace had the bag thrust upon him with the weight shocking him-- thank the stars he was in half-decent shape so that it only burdened him so much-- but then all of a sudden something began to change.

It wasn't the rock. It was Dagda himself. First of all, his arm popped off, which was a real shocker in and of itself, but the real shocker was about to come right as Rhace began to stare wide-eyed at the sudden and inevitable change that the man was undergoing. There were blue veins, glowing stuff, all sorts of magical crap-- typical-- but the end result was something that he was absolutely in no way shape or form was prepared to witness.

"Holy sh-" started Rhace, who was now all of a sudden entirely lost for wrds. The form of the titanic monster before him was nothing short of something out of a storybook; not only was Dagda a humongous creature that dwarfed everything that Rhace had ever seen in his entire life, but this had to be seen to be believed. Remember about a minute ago when we discussed people with crazy magic powers that could do things that utterly beggared belief, defying the laws of logic and thought at every step with the insanely otherworldly things that could be achieved with magic?

Yeah, no, this blew everything else out of the damn water.

The scion of the Granven school stared up at the stone titan, utterly dumbfounded by the transformation that had just taken place; yes, of course, Rhace had been warned ahead of time that Dagda was not actually human, but when Rhace pictured stone titan he was thinking maybe fifteen feet tall tops? This was, um, certainly a mite bigger than that. This was a little bit beyond what he'd been anticipating. To be absolutely clear: this was insane beyond all mortal belief. So, emerald eyes stared as Rhace attempted to legitimately comprehend the transformation that had just taken place and finding that his brain was only going to throw back error codes as he absolutely failed to make sense of this change that had just taken place. A good few moments passed as Rhace just watched whatever the heck it was that Dagda was up to, not really taking in exactly what was going on. No, there was a big old rock in front of him. This rock had been an actual human being about a minute ago. This was no longer a human being but was instead a living, breathing, talking rock, that he knew personally. This was in fact a big rock. A very big rock.

A very big rock they called Captain.

"I have so many questions right now," Rhace said, unable to contain himself any more. Nope. Nope. Thank the Goddess that he didn't have to fight this particular rock, because Rhace knew already that he would be totally boned. Nope. To be absolutely clear, he'd seen some things in recent history that made him question his sanity. Certain people in his life had revealed truths to him that he had not expected, and that was not just including the fact that his sister was legitimately planning to not only tear his inheritance away from him but also to ensure that her method for doing so involved possibly his extended torture and possibly death. Having your family turn on you was one thing. Big rocks were another.

So when Dagda was currently engaged with pressing against the top of the stone canopy with one had to actuate its magical conduits, Rhace was legitimately just too busy watching awestruck to actually process what was going on. The light from above was absolutely pretty, though, that was for sure. The stone titan was effectively now suddenly bathed with an angelic glow, a halo set against the rock that he had been plucked from. It seemed, if nothing else, that the stone titan belonged here, almost blending seamlessly into his surrounds with little to no effort, as if he was born to be there. Or, to be more entirely accurate, that the place they were in was carved specifically for his existence. Such things were actually likely true, even if they were therefore true for someone else of his kin; how different could rocks be? Well, to be fair, rocks could be very different. If Meliora Vitae proved nothing else in its time, it championed the cause of nature's beauteous differences, and how vast, wide and varied the myriad creatures and plants of the world could be. Rocks could be different too... like, different colours.

Yeah, Rhace wasn't really all here right now.

Dagda speaking, on the other hand, was like feeling the way a gale wind pushed against the chest; Dagda's stony bass undertones were enough to rumble his ribcage just from the sonic vibrations of speaking, and that was something else to be considered as a mindblowing different. That seemed to be enough to break him away from that fantastic reverie and suddenly the very small swordsman remembered that he was here to do something and not to be distracted by the now actual ooh shiny moment that was consuming his ability to think logically.

"Sundial. Right. Okay. Sundial. Sundial."

Rhace had to scramble to remember exactly where that sundial had been despite the golden line still shimmering away in front of him, because he was a little bit distracted and was currently not operating at maximum efficiency, for obvious reasons. A deep breath to find his centre and remember how to actually be useful to this operation followed, and Rhace found himself shadow stepping his way back to where the sundial had originally been. If time was a concern, then using his most advanced techniques seemed to be the appropriate response to the situation. This was not a normal situation, after all, and only a few seconds passed before the blademaster had returned to where they had originally started this insane escalation of displays of power and ability. Casting his eyes down, Rhace could see the edifice was glowing, where it now shimmered with a brighter golden light much similar to the line that had been cast from it originally. Now, however, there was a single change to it that indicated what they needed to know: the small triangle that had originally clued Rhace in to this being a sundial was having a shadow cast below it. This shadow was a shimmering thing, cascading and shifting much in the same way the buildings around them did as they caught the light. Those buildings, now glowing with that otherworldly pink-purple-blue sheen, now surrounded them and bespoke a beautiful brilliance that words could not really capture.

But they could capture the fact that there was an unmistakeable arrow pointing towards what was probably their next direction. It used the triangle to make part of the arrowhead, which in hindsight was probably the hint that they should have taken to begin with - but whatever was in that particular direction was likely where they needed to travel next.

Suddenly, Rhace remembered the weight of the sixteen keystones on his back, and then exhaled slowly as the weight of the bag enmeshed itself with the weight of reality finally coming back around to ensnare his senses once again. He had to communicate this. So, he looked up to the Marmor and weaved his hands around a little bit, suddenly feeling real stupid. He could still see, you dolt. Rhace cupped his hands around his mouth just in case he was now too small to actually hear properly and shouted like he was holding a megaphone, but that probably wouldn't have made much of a difference at this point.

"Hey, uhhh, Captain? Yeah, we've got an arrow down here. We probably could have worked it out without, uh, all this, but we have the answer now, I guess?"

The answer: north, right through the mountain range and towards something else in the distance. Hopefully, if they had actuated the magical circuitry of this city, towards something that would already be active and waiting for them.

TAG: @Dagda WORDS: 1414 TOTAL: 14,677 JOB: N/A
    MEL @ WW

#104E8B
    Dagda
    Dagda

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Dagda 8th April 2022, 5:09 pm

Dagda watched from above as Rhace retraced the line back to the sundial. The titan couldn’t see his companion’s face very well from up there, but from the many moments of silence after his transformation, he could only assume the swordsman had been stunned. It wasn’t every day someone saw their guildmate turn into a giant walking and talking rock. Secretly, Dagda couldn’t help but be entertained by people’s reactions when they saw his true form. Magic was a truly wonderful and unpredictable thing, and even the most magically experienced beings could still be stunned by something new. He kept his amusement to himself though. There was a quest at hand.

When Rhace made it to the sundial, he seemed to look it over for a moment before waving his hands at the Captain. Dagda tried not to move a pebble so he could hear the shout of his guildmate over the distance. Apparently there was some sort of arrow formed by the sundial. With a slow nod, he gave one more glance at the spectacular light show on the canopy before removing his hand from the print. The light continued to shimmer, but it was growing fainter by the second. The faux sunlight was only meant to last long enough to see the sundial, it seemed.

Reversing his rocky metamorphosis, Dagda looked human once again. He grabbed up his metal arm and reattached it as he jogged back towards the sundial. Slowing to a walk as he came into view, the titan approached the contraption to look over the fading arrow. The shadow shimmered in the same way the stalactites above them had, pointing north. From the maps Dagda had viewed beforehand, the mountain range they were in stretched from north to south. Currently, they were somewhere in the southern part. Whatever their next destination was, it was northward from here.

“Well that was quite the show for just an arrow,” the Captain said with a dry laugh. “It would have been too easy just to install a light switch.” Extravagance was just an inherent part of magic, it seemed. Unnecessary steps had seemed common throughout his journeys to find the keystones, and the journal writer was very cryptid in their writings. Nothing was easy on this quest, and he doubted it would take a turn for the better.

“Let’s head north then.” He reached out a hand to Rhace to take the rucksack once more, then led the way back to the pod. As they left the undercliff dwelling, the light from the stalactites continued to fade until the abandoned city was shrouded in darkness once more.

The Endeavor’s pod took them along the foothills of the mountains, past creeks and meadows, lakes and small villages. The scenery was beautiful and ever so green thanks to the magic of Seven. As they went, Dagda kept an eye out for any sort of landmark or feature that might host their destination. A few things they explored by flying closer in the pod, but none showed any signs of significance. They neared the end of the mountain range without any sightings. The coast of the northernmost peninsula of Seven was visible in the distance. Below them, a river that had started as a gentle spring high in the mountains now flowed steadily as it headed for the nearby ocean. The river cascaded in a large waterfall, then tumbled its way through a deep canyon carved into the foothills.

As they flew closer, Dagda had an inkling that this landmark was too significant to ignore. He steered the pod down into the canyon, hovering above the crashing rapids for a closer look. Besides white water and rocky walls, there wasn’t much to see, so the pod continued down the canyon. The river calmed into a clear pool for a moment before continuing to crash over the rocks towards the ocean. In that pool, Dagda saw a glimmer of golden light. It was the same light as that which had covered the mountain awning of the stone-carved town.

“Finally, something worth investigating,” the Captain said as he pointed out the golden shimmer to Rhace. “This has to be it.” Unfortunately, the canyon was too tight and there was nowhere to land the pod inside of it, so Dagda steered them towards the top of the cliff. They would have to find a way down into it from above.

Post WC: 737 Thread WC: 15,404 Tagged: @Rhace Tarrin Music: Homebound

Current date/time is 29th April 2024, 12:33 am