Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

Calm Sea, Turbulent Ships

Victoria Sheridan
    Victoria Sheridan

Alt Account- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Legal Guild Ace- Y-Rank- X-Rank- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Wanderer- EXP Grinder- Forever Solo- Christian Minecraft Server- I Have Friends...- Limited Edition- Unknown Powerhouse- Unknown Legend- The Completionist- Achiever- Buddy Buddy- Sticking Around- Taskmaster- Halloween Social- Halloween job event participant - Rich- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Character Application Approved!- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- X-Mas Event Participant- Summer Special Participant- Player 
    Lineage : Shadows Of Anarchy
    Position : None
    Guild : Sabertooth
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 2,635,439

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Merces Letifer
    Second Magic: Combat Medic
    Third Magic:

Calm Sea, Turbulent Ships Empty Calm Sea, Turbulent Ships

Post by Victoria Sheridan on 30th July 2020, 9:54 pm

Job Details:

Job Title: 100 Year Free-form
    Job Location: Anywhere
    Solo Word Count: 12,500 words
    Group Word Count: 25,000 words
    Additional Requirements: N/A
    Job Description: Whatever the player chooses
    Enemies: Whatever the player chooses
    Reward: 150,000 jewels OR a custom Artifact weapon/armor/item - Must specify which when handing in the job

Job Sign-Up: Page 19, Post Number 451

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Golden Lacrima is valid until 6/14/2021. Proof of purchase is here. Page 26, Post Number 642
    Victoria Sheridan
    Victoria Sheridan

Alt Account- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Legal Guild Ace- Y-Rank- X-Rank- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Wanderer- EXP Grinder- Forever Solo- Christian Minecraft Server- I Have Friends...- Limited Edition- Unknown Powerhouse- Unknown Legend- The Completionist- Achiever- Buddy Buddy- Sticking Around- Taskmaster- Halloween Social- Halloween job event participant - Rich- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Character Application Approved!- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- X-Mas Event Participant- Summer Special Participant- Player 

Character Sheet
    Third Magic:

Calm Sea, Turbulent Ships Empty Re: Calm Sea, Turbulent Ships

Post by Victoria Sheridan on 30th July 2020, 10:32 pm

-On board The Traveling Merchant, midday-

Victoria had been referred to this client by her old pal Captain Kooh. Apparently he knew an ex-navy colleague who needed a little extra muscle and Victoria was looking for some work that did not involve fighting demons. Victoria was hired because the client was shipping a cargo of valuable food and salt through shipping lanes where pirates were known to look for merchant ships to prey on. Victoria had been hired as extra muscle to supplement the crew, which was full of merchants and short on fighters. The ship had a complement of about four dozen fighting men and two dozen cannon for self-defense; twelve cannon were stationed on each side of the ship. The Traveling Merchant was a merchant vessel, not a full-fledged combat vessel.

The Traveling Merchant's captain, a tall, lanky fellow by the name of Captain Mercator, was not expecting any significant pirate activity today because only hours ago a navy patrol had swept through the very lane that the ship was traveling through now. However, he did not believe that the pirates would stay away for very long after the patrol, so he had put out a call for any fighting men and mages willing to sail on this voyage. Captain Kooh had suggested that she take this job and Victoria, wanting to change things up a bit by going somewhere where the undead or demons were unlikely to appear, agreed. Now she was part of the hired muscle patrolling the deck of The Traveling Merchant and feeling the wind blow through her long brown hair.

Dressed in her green t-shirt, black skirt with black bike shorts on underneath it, and white tennis shoes, Victoria also wore her Azure Armor and Bandolier to be ready for action because when pirates attacked she would not have time to suit up and arm herself. If the pirates came calling the brunette was already geared up to repel them. She and the other hired guns had been given orders from Captain Mercator himself to shoot to kill any pirates who tried to board or succeeded in boarding the vessel. Victoria had no problem with those orders, especially since the captain had made it clear that the pirates who prowled the Calm Sea were unpredictable when it came to taking prisoners.

The midday sun was beating down on the open deck of the three-masted ship as the blue-uniformed crew worked the sails and the men in the crow's nest kept an eye out for trouble. The sea was calm; the worst that happened was the occasional high wave that threatened to splash over the railing, but otherwise the Calm Sea lived up to its name. That was good news because this was only the second time the brunette had been out at sea and she was not keen on being tossed around by turbulent waters. It was an easy job so far, but that was because they were not in the danger zone yet. The Traveling Merchant was roughly 60 kilometers from the danger zone where pirates were most likely to strike.

Victoria listened to the dull roar of the waves splashing against the side of the ship and kept patrolling the deck until she was scheduled to be relieved in four hours. It was dull and tedious work made even duller and more tedious by the unrelenting sun beating down on her. Her armor was not helping things either because it had accumulated four hours' worth of heat buildup, but she could not afford to take it off because pirates could appear at any moment and it would take a lot of time to put on, time that she might not have to spare. There was always a cheeky pirate captain or two who would try to attack at unexpected times and from unexpected angles.

Victoria had expected a seagoing vessel to be a little more... lively, for lack of a better word. TV and movie Lacrimas had always shown the crew of a vessel singing or playing instruments, but TV and movies were not exactly a good guide to how things worked in real life. This was one of those times where the expectation did not match the reality.

[Post Word Count: 708]
    [Total Word Count: 708/11,000]

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Golden Lacrima is valid until 6/14/2021. Proof of purchase is here. Page 26, Post Number 642
    Victoria Sheridan
    Victoria Sheridan

Character Sheet
    Third Magic:

Post by Victoria Sheridan on 2nd August 2020, 11:28 pm

-Four hours later, late afternoon-

Victoria had been relieved of guard duty for the time being and was below deck in the galley eating a plate of baked fish with some of the other hired guns who were off duty. Others were sitting at a corner table in the back and either playing Texas Hold 'Em or standing and watching the action unfold. Victoria was not about to throw her Jewels away on that game, so she kept to her baked fish and mug of coffee. She was here to earn money, not to give it away.

So far the voyage had been a peaceful one with no sign of pirates. The greatest enemy the hired guns had to fight was boredom and there was plenty of that to go around. There was nothing to do but walk the deck and try not to get heatstroke since there was precious little shelter from the unrelenting sun and everyone had forgotten to bring sunscreen.

Victoria was drinking her coffee when a lot of cheering erupted from the corner. Someone had just won a big hand and another player did not take well to the loss. However, there were no signs of impending hostilities, only a grudging respect for the winner.

"Damn it, Captain! You took me to the cleaners! I had three of a kind Aces! That shoulda won the hand!" A lanky brown-haired man wearing olive green fatigues lamented to a red-haired man wearing a brown bush hat and an eyepatch. The redhead simply put a cigarette in his mouth, lit it, and smiled.

"I told you you were gonna lose, Ken." The man said casually. Ken took a moment to get over his frustration, then calmly pushed the winnings over to the captain. He got up from the table and went elsewhere to calm down. Victoria looked towards the man and saw that he was now holding court with the men around him, who were all wearing olive green fatigues like Ken. The captain himself wore olive green fatigues with a brown bush hat and a black eyepatch over his left eye.

as he and some others settled in for another game he was regaling the men with all manner of stories like the time he had taken cover in a trench to avoid artillery fire and found that a shell had dropped into the same trench only two meters to his left. He scrambled as far away from it as he could get before it exploded, but to his immense relief it did not detonate. Examination after the battle by an Explosive Ordnance Disposal technician with nerves of steel revealed that the shell that had landed in the trench was a dud.

Victoria went back to her fish and coffee and finished both within six minutes. She took the plate and mug to the galley sink and washed them herself, then put them to the right side of the sink on a blue-and-white draining towel that had been left for that exact purpose. The brunette had dried her hands and was about to take her leave of the galley when she heard a high-pitched whistle.

"Hey you!" The captain's voice called out to her. Victoria clenched her teeth and turned around to find the captain staring at her with a single blue eye.

"Hey lady, wanna join us for a game of Texas Hold 'Em?" He asked with a smile. The cigarette was hanging out of the right corner of his mouth as he spoke to her.

"No thanks, mister. I'm here to earn money, not to throw it away." Victoria turned down the man's request. The men beside him began to laugh at the candor of her answer and the captain himself smiled.

"Heh heh. You're probably one of the smartest people in the room, lady. But I don't really care about saving money. Once we buy replacement weapons and ammunition after getting paid, we tend to spend the rest of it on booze, cigarettes, and women." The captain complimented her for her good sense before explaining that he was not interested in saving money.

"People like us don't tend to live to retirement age, so we figure that we'll have what fun we can before we die." He added. Murmurs of agreement rose from the men around the table. Victoria looked at the men and saw that they were rough-looking and hard-living men who had been in battles all around the world. They had seen a lot of rough things and had been through a lot of rough things. They did not seem like the type to follow the stock market, watch soap operas, or play golf in their spare time.

"I see." Victoria replied laconically. The captain kept his eye on her and asked a question.

"You must be a tough customer if you took this job. What's your name, lady?" He asked.

"Victoria Sheridan." She answered. The one-eyed man thought about it for a moment and then blinked.

"Wait a minute. I've heard the name Sheridan somewhere before." He said to her. Now Victoria was interested in what he had to say. Had he met her adopted father somewhere in the past?

"I knew a Sheridan. I knew a guy named Lawrence Sheridan." He said to her. Victoria's interest increased when he said that. He got up from his seat and strode over to the brunette, then examined her face closely with the cigarette seated firmly in the right corner of his mouth. She did not know what he was hoping to find by examining her so closely.

"Are you his daughter?" The captain asked point-blank.

"I'm his adopted daughter." She answered calmly while looking him in the eye. The captain stepped back and blinked.

"That you are." He answered cryptically. He turned to the men and spoke.

"Gentlemen, you're in the presence of Lawrence Sheridan's adopted daughter!" The captain proclaimed. The men could not believe what they had just been told.

"What's your name?" Victoria asked the captain.

"Oh, right! I forgot my manners! I'm Captain Carl Henderson, but people just call me Captain!" The one-eyed redhead finally introduced himself to the brunette.

Captain Henderson:
    Calm Sea, Turbulent Ships Latest?cb=20110906011055

[Post Word Count: 1,030]
    [Total Word Count: 1,738]

Victoria Sheridan
    Victoria Sheridan

Character Sheet
    Third Magic:

Post by Victoria Sheridan on 6th August 2020, 12:11 am

"OK, Captain." Victoria said simply. The Captain smiled.

"You said you're his adopted daughter, right?" He asked. Victoria nodded.

"How did you meet Lawrence?" The redhead inquired. The Captain's men stopped shuffling cards and focused on Victoria, who remained calm despite the multiple eyes boring into her. They probably thought that she was a fake trying to name drop Lawrence Sheridan for some credibility in the mercenary world. The brunette knew that he had done some mercenary work, but she had no idea that he was a big name in some circles.

"It started one night when I was ten years old. I was living in Capital Crocus, but my house wasn't some million-Jewel pad with a two-car garage. I lived in the bad part, the part of the city that's so bad the police don't go in without a lot of backup. I was running the back alleys with some friends looking for food when we were attacked by slavers." Victoria started the story of how she had met her adopted father. It was an unpleasant one of running for her life while the others had been rounded up and shipped off to wherever they would sell for the highest price. Victoria hesitated for a moment before continuing.

"We had just found some decent food in a trash can when these sketchy-looking guys came up to us. They pulled out weighted nets and shackles. Things went to shit in a hurry... a lot of my friends got captured right away because it's hard to fight someone with a two-foot height advantage and weighing at least one hundred pounds more than you. Anyway, I was somehow able to get away and tried to run for it, but those guys caught up with me and soon I got cornered in a dead end." Victoria continued the story, condensing it so that Captain Henderson and his men got the relevant parts without needless commentary. Some of the men winced about the part where Victoria and her friends had found food in a trash can. Others kept a straight face... they had probably had to do the same thing themselves before they joined the captain's unit.

"Back then I was just a four-foot-tall street kid with her back to the wall facing down four burly dudes with weighted nets and shackles. I didn't have my magic yet and there was no way in Hell I was gonna be able to beat them all without a weapon. There weren't any weapons. I stood with my back to the wall and four slavers approaching me and taking their sweet time about it. They knew that I wasn't going anywhere." Victoria recounted the part where she had been cornered in a dead end with no way out but through the slavers. She recalled the terror she felt and recalled the twisted joy on the faces of the slavers. She also recalled hoping against hope that someone would rescue her.

"I was convinced that I was going to become just another statistic, another missing street kid no one gave a shit about. But someone stepped up right when I needed them the most. He came to my rescue and slipped up behind a slaver. He cut the guy's throat with a big knife before the slaver could even scream. The other three slavers didn't last much longer." Victoria recounted the abrupt reversal of fortune that prevented her from becoming just another statistic added to the tally of missing children that no one paid attention to because they were not from a rich family.

"My rescuer was some tall, burly dude with short blond hair who was so muscular that he could lift and throw a motorcycle at someone if he wanted to. He also had some scars on his face. He wasn't exactly a knight in shining armor, but at that time I didn't care. He was my hero. It's no exaggeration to say that he saved my life." Victoria finished the story of how she had met Lawrence Sheridan. The captain smiled again.

"That sounds a lot like how Lawrence operates. He's really quiet for such a tall and muscular guy. He also carries a big knife around and he knows how to use it. Anyone within arm's reach of him while he's holding that knife is as good as dead." The captain said. It was Victoria's turn to smile.

"Lawrence is rough around the edges, but he's a good guy. He took me in and taught me how to read, write, and do basic arithmetic the best he could. He also taught me the finer points of vodka. He gave me his last name so that people wouldn't think that I was an illegitimate child. Most of all, he taught me magic so that I'd never be cornered in a back alley again." Victoria told the group. Most of the men chuckled about the vodka part. Captain Henderson laughed too.

"You're the real deal alright. You know things about him that few other people do, things that you can only learn about him from being around him." The captain gave his verdict on the veracity of Victoria's claim to being his adopted daughter. Now that the captain had said once and for all that she was related to Lawrence Sheridan, the men seemed to warm up to her. That was good.

"I don't think that Lawrence ever planned to adopt and raise a girl, but he did the best he could. He stepped up when no one else would. He saved me when I needed rescuing the most and I'll never forget that." Victoria commented further.

"Speaking of Lawrence, how's he doing nowadays?" The captain asked.

"I don't know, Captain. He left me when I was 17. I've been looking for him ever since." Victoria answered truthfully. The redhead blinked with his remaining eye.

"Do you think he went to go back to work, Captain?" A man in olive green fatigues with short brown hair and a clean-shaven face asked the captain.

"I don't know, Mike. I didn't think that Lawrence was ever gonna retire. He always said that the only place he ever really felt alive was on a battlefield." Captain Henderson answered the man's question. Victoria knew exactly where her adopted father was coming from. The brunette felt the same way and took the most dangerous jobs she could find for high pay. For awhile Victoria was starting to lose that thrill-seeking tendency thanks to the influence of Ryo, Gaia, Itori, and Abigail Windstrider, but she had never fully given up her thrill-seeking ways. Now they were starting to come back with a vengeance.

Why else would she willingly sail on a merchant vessel that was sailing into shipping lanes that pirates were known to frequent?

Victoria had called it a vacation from fighting cultists and their summoned demons. However, her idea of a vacation did not match the normal idea of a vacation. Most ordinary people went to a theme park or to Crescent Island whenever they wanted to get away from their troubles. Not Victoria. She found the most dangerous places in Earthland to go and explore for a vacation.

Maybe the brunette should do what normal people did and book a stay at Crescent Island some time. It would be much more relaxing than fighting pirates. It would also do wonders for her lifespan.

[Post Word Count: 1,234]
    [Total Word Count: 2,972/11,000]

Victoria Sheridan
    Victoria Sheridan

Character Sheet
    Third Magic:

Post by Victoria Sheridan Yesterday at 11:52 pm

The captain, seemingly satisfied to learn that he was dealing with Lawrence Sheridan's adopted daughter and not a fake, turned back to the card table and was about to shuffle the cards when he turned back to Victoria to ask her something.

"You sure you don't want in on the hand that's about to be dealt?" Captain Henderson asked. Victoria shook her head.

"I'm sure, Captain. I don't need to blow my pay before I even get it." Victoria answered. Some of the men laughed at that answer and others nodded in agreement. A few others glumly looked down and looked like they wished they had not wagered their pay on card games.

"OK then, Victoria. You're about to miss all the fun." He said, turning back to the card table and dexterously shuffling the deck before placing a big black button with a red "D" on it in front of himself. He dealt cards to the six men playing this had and himself until everyone had two cards in their hand. The curious Victoria approached the table and stood off to the right side to watch the action.

Plastic poker chips began to clink as the "big blind" to the left of the captain and the "small blind" to the captain's right paid in to get the pot going. Then the betting began. The captain knocked on the table twice with his right hand, an action known as "checking." The other six men replicated the action and the captain dealt three black cards face-up. They were an Eight of Spades, a Nine of Spades, and a Ten of Spades.

The captain pushed in three red chips marked in denominations of 100. The man to his left followed suit and so did the next man, but the third, apparently not having anything worth keeping, placed his cards face down in front of him.

"Oscar mucked his hand." The captain commented, naming the action of discarding one's cards. Oscar sat there and watched the action as the rest of the men matched the captain's wager of 3 100-Jewel chips to form a small pile near the center of the table. Once the main round of betting was over and no one else raised the captain put a face-down card on the table and flipped it up, showing a Queen of Hearts.

"I've got nothing. I'm out." A bespectacled man with black hair said, mucking his hand. Another man with black hair and a long scar on his right cheek looked at his cards and discarded them. The other three men remained in the game.

"OK gentlemen, let's get to betting." Captain Henderson stated. He picked out five 100-Jewel chips and made a pile of them, pushing them forward with the back of his right hand. The three men met the captain's wager and one of them, a slender man with a short gray buzzcut, added another five 100-Jewel chips. The captain blinked.

"You think you've got somethin', Norm?" The captain inquired.

"Yeah, Captain." The man answered confidently with an easy smile.

"OK then, let's see how far this goes." The captain answered with a smile of his own. One of the other men, a bald man with blue eyes, mucked his hand. The other man, a middle-aged man with a jagged gash running diagonally across his left cheek, stayed in and matched Norm's bet. The Captain matched it and Norm checked.

Captain Henderson and the other man checked. Once no more betting happened the captain drew a face-down card and flipped it over. It was a King of Hearts. Five face-up cards were on the table.

The captain stacked and pushed forward ten 100-Jewel chips. Norm followed suit, but the last man bowed out and mucked his hand.

"OK, it's just you and me, Norm." The captain commented. Norm kept smiling.

"It's just you and me, Captain." Norm replied calmly. Norm pushed in all his remaining chips. The captain blinked.

"You got something, dontcha?" The redhead asked. Norm never quit smiling.

"I do, but you're gonna have to pay to find out what it is." Norm answered calmly. A boisterous round of talking ensued. Victoria's interest was piqued... she wanted to see how this hand played out.

"OK then. Show me whatcha got!" The captain said, pushing in all his chips. He then put his hand on the table, which contained a Ten of Diamonds, a King of Diamonds, and a King of Spades. The onlookers began to cheer, but Norm motioned for silence and they obeyed.

"Three of a kind, huh? Not bad." Norm said calmly. He laid down his hand, which contained a Seven of Spades, a Ten of Hearts, and a Jack of Spades. The captain looked at them and blinked.

"Damn. You got a straight flush with a Seven-Eight-Nine-Ten-Jack combo, all Spades. You really did have something." Captain Henderson admitted defeat. Norm leisurely raked in all the chips while smiling from ear to ear. The captain stood up and puffed on his cigarette.

"Well, I'm out. I'm gonna go have a drink or two. Who wants to join me?" Captain Henderson asked. At least a dozen hands shot up, including Victoria's.

"OK guys, I'll break out the whiskey!" He said. The men cheered as the captain sauntered over to the refrigerator none the worse for wear after his loss at Texas Hold'Em. Bottles clinked as the redhead retrieved a few dark bottles of Wild Crow whiskey and walked over to an empty galley table to distribute them to the waiting men, who were beginning to take seats at the table. Victoria sat on the far left end of the table and patiently waited to receive her bottle of whiskey. It took the captain a few trips to the refrigerator, but eventually Victoria got her very own bottle of whiskey.

The captain noticed Victoria clutching it and blinked.

"I didn't know you drank whiskey, Victoria. I thought vodka was your favorite just like it is with Lawrence." He said to her as she casually opened her bottle.

"Vodka is my favorite, Captain. However, I'm not terribly picky when it comes to alcohol. Whiskey's always a good choice." Victoria replied casually. The men around her smiled.

"That's Lawrence Sheridan's adopted daughter all right. I wonder if she has his tolerance for alcohol." Captain Henderson mused aloud. Victoria smiled mischievously.

"Wanna find out?" Victoria asked him. Normally she did not drink while on the job, but this time she would make an exception. She already had drank on the job while with Itori in the Phoenix Mountains some time ago, so as long as she kept those breaches few and far between she could get away with it.

That was her story and she was sticking to it.

[Post Word Count: 1,128]
    [Total Word Count: 4,100/11,000]

Current date/time is 11th August 2020, 8:59 am