Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

Honor Amongst Men

SlayerMathis
    SlayerMathis

Mythical VIP Status- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Christian Minecraft Server- Magic Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Player 
    Lineage : Bladesmaster
    Position : None
    Guild : Meliora Vitae
    Cosmic Coins : 300
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 658,820

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Blade Summoning
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Honor Amongst Men Empty Honor Amongst Men

Post by SlayerMathis 24th April 2020, 11:03 pm

STATS & SUMMARY
    HP780/780
    MP400/400
    Speed82.5m/s
    Strength155.5
    (Melee Damage)
    SP1
    (Spell Power Multiplier)

ITEMS ON HAND
    N/A

SPELLS USED
    N/A

COMBAT SUMMARY
    Damage Taken:N/A
    Healing:N/A
    MP Used:N/A
    Buffs:N/A
    Other Notes:N/A
    ~

Mathis had not been in the guild long, and yet he had already been assigned to a task that would bring him to the apparently coveted rank of S within a guild. Perhaps it was his skills with a blade and his immense experience in combat that led him to such a thing, but it was a surprise nonetheless. Leona herself had come forward to Mathis with the task. In the country of Midi, there was an undead revenant warrior wandering the streets, hoping for an honorable duel to free his spirit from the torment that left him wandering the wastes. Mathis was to give him that honorable duel. Not even wanting to risk Poppi being involved, she was to remain in Silver Wolf's halls, assisting wherever needed.

As the ship neared the new country, Mathis took time to investigate the scenery. The waves of blue beneath his ship bore a calming ebb and flow, the mildest rocking upon the wooden vessel feeling like a mother rocking her infant to sleep. Back and forth, the ship tilted, never pushing to the limits of becoming pushed to an extreme, yet never soft enough to risk forgetting about the nature of the waves beneath. The cyan ocean below crashed against the side of the ship, misting cold, refreshing water upon the unmasked warrior's face. It had been some time since he had time to truly enjoy a boat trip, and he savored the moment greatly. Monado was firmly with him, ensuring its place in the coming battle that would soon be ahead. He figured that Monado would enjoy an honorable duel after such a long time of not engaging in such a task. Since coming to Silver Wolf, it had been melee after melee, one man against a horde of lesser soldiers, chaos ruling the battlefield. Now Mathis had the chance to fight in the way he loved truest: one man and one blade against another warrior and their weapons. He had considered challenging some of his guild mates to a duel, yet he figured such a question would be figured as rude. As such, he needed to remove that tension somehow, and this job was just the way.

He smiled as he lifted his face towards the setting sun. It was not a sight he was unaccustomed to seeing. Alrest, as an archipelago, had many beaches to view the sun in all its glory, and many places had mountains to perch upon to view further and further beyond. Yet there was never a moment he did not enjoy viewing the setting sun. He, perhaps, felt almost a connection to himself. The end of one journey, taking a short rest before the next began in earnest. Each time he left Alrest, it was a new journey and the end of an old one. Each time he reawoke as a Blade, it was a new journey as the old's came to an unfortunate end. The setting sun marked such a thing, the end of a journey, yet it placed a reminder upon the hearts of all. Despite it being the end of a day, the end of a journey, there was a beauty in it. The pinks and oranges that brushed across the skies, coating the clouds as if meticulously planned by a painter in the sky, the reflection of the bright beams of light upon the sea or the smallest specks of light bursting forth over the horizon as a day ended and a night began...it was something Mathis felt he could wax philosophic about and think upon other things but battle. As much as the thrill of combat piqued his interests, there was something to be said about the joys of enjoying what one loves. Mathis, despite being this 'dull' warrior, held an interest in technology and arts, something he took great pride in, and enjoyed this Fioran guild for what it could do to serve the purposes of his interests, and how they could serve others.
    Soon, the boat began to sink into the harbor. The architecture was vastly different from Fiore, despite the nations being so close in proximity. The cherry blossoms that dotted the landscape held their breath in silent anticipation as the sun closed and dusk began to settle. The angled rooftops of the port city became alight with orange and yellow lanterns, each marked with oddly familiar symbols. Somehow, they seemed to know the language of the Alrest island of Etherius, though perhaps it was naught but a similarity that happened to form. Even as Mathis donned his mask and examined the citizens, there was a strange sense of distant familiarity. They bore kimonos dotted with floral patterns or yukatas bearing lavender shades. It was so foreign, yet all too familiar. Mathis could not help but smile at this, how the world was so strange, yet so familiar.

Shortly after his arrival in Midi, he had already found that the ancient warrior was waiting for him. Even looking at comparisons between this warrior and the soldiers around him, he was ancient.

"I knew I felt a welcoming presence," the revenant muttered, a reverent tone in his voice. "You are the one sent to bring me an honorable death? I am Uriaki no Susanoomura. Once I walked this land as a royal soldier of the emperor. Alas, I had grown old, and perished before I was permitted an honorable duel in combat."

"I trust you did not cease trying to gain your honorable death even as your feet heavied and slowed."

The revenant nodded. "Indeed. Even as my steps became laden with waters, I succeeded in every fight I undertook. To this day, I remain undefeated. Please, sir. Tell me your name before we begin our duel."

Mathis unsheathed Monado, which was already in the form of a katana. "Of course. I am Mathis Lora, Susanoomura-dono."

The revenant drew his own katana and the duel began. This was a much different duel than that between Mathis and Corliss back in the beanstalk village. Uriaki had as much honor as Mathis, and the two could already tell their similarities in the fight. Both took the same action of sizing up the opponent.

Susanoomura looked as honorable as his actions would suggest, the translucent blade in his hands giving off the faintest sheen of gold in the setting sun. His dou shone much the same in the setting sun, the mildest taste of a forest green tint becoming evoked within the mind's eye, tracing itself along the rest of his armor. The kusazuri flickered back and forth in the mild breeze, their faintest movements like a breath upon the wind as the small imperfections made themselves evident. All of his armor looked that same way, these most minor of imperfections painting a picture as ethereal as his form, the strong armor and powerful guise he bore masking the tells of heavy use within combat. The only item that remained perfect was that of the face plated kabuto helmet he wore, a stunning crimson beneath the ethereal fog, contrasting with the greens and golds the rest of his attire suggested.

At once, the two dashed in to begin combat. The two katanas met within an instant, each combatant there to gauge the other's strength. After the two had become satisfied with their test, the battle began for real. The two circled each other slowly as a small crowd formed around them. A few civilians looked eager to join in, only being held back by the smarter folks around, mentioning that they could sully the duel and ruin everything. Mathis dashed in next, swiping Monado across his left, expecting the inevitable roll that Susanoomura performed. The two were less interested in the physical battle, rather taking focus on the battle of wits between the warrior well beyond his years and the samurai that had evaded death. Susanoomura then struck, delivering two swift slashes of his katana, which were deflected by Monado in quick fashion. There was no respite in this engagement, however, as Mathis quickly continued the attack with another few slashes of the katana, which clashes against its twin blade, pushing the phantom soldier back ever so slightly.

Despite the strange circumstances, it was not something that Mathis was entirely new to. Across his journeys over the millennia, he had experienced many fights with as many people and as many different backgrounds as possible. Within Altea, he fought against people who could turn into dragons and such people that bore within them the power of their god, Naga. Tellius was much the same, with its beastfolk that transformed into animals. The ravens provided particular difficulty, with their advantage of flying. Jugdral and its legendary weapons and bloodlines, much the same with Fodlan...yet none was as important as his visitation to the mysterious lands of Valla. The land was covered by fog, a near impassable fog, only enterable by the most experienced and daring sailors the world had to offer, as well as the strange entrance from leaping into a canyon between two warring countries. Valla, as far as Mathis could tell, was a foreign dimension, yet it bore similarities all the same. The floating islands were not foreign to Mathis; Leftheria already had those. The waterfalls in the sky? Mathis had ventured into a land that he soon found to bear similarities to Fiore known as Edolas. A stream floated in the air there as the magic faded and flickered from the world. The newest and now most relevant oddity were the translucent soldiers that Valla bore. A mysterious dragon king ordered armies of phantom beings around to slay the intruder, and, while Mathis did not linger within the mysterious dimension for long, he gained enough knowledge from the fight to benefit him enough for such future endeavors.

To think that, all these years later, whether it be dozens, hundreds, or thousands of years, the wonders of warfare would remain relevant. Technology advanced, yet there was always an ebb and flow of such things. Alrest bore much technology of its own. Harvesting power from their living continents, the consolidation of ether or ethernano or whatever the term was dependent on the country. Yet Altea and Judgral bore no such technology, confined to magics and blades. Once more came the difference of Triad, where they strutted around in magitek armors in the same lands as samurai such as Susanoomura, guns blazing alongside magic and swords and arrows. Perhaps, if there was one thing to learn along all this time, it would be that the world bore so many similarities.

Mathis's body had taken control of itself during his musings, countering strike after strike from the powerful samurai. Not a single blow had been landed on either of them, the two content to exchange blows and quick schemes to try to gain an upper hand, to no avail. Dodging often took the place of parrying, and this dance, rather than the frantic dances of Nord, became more akin to the somber waltzes of Hyrule. Each step was planned and calculated, each a series of calls and responses, the clashing blades ringing to the sky, their echoes calling to the painted sky above.

Mathis finally figured a weakness in Susanoomura's combat. While Mathis certainly could have taken advantage of Monado's ability to shift forms, such an action would defeat the honor that this duel possessed. He smirked, knowing that victory was to come soon. Neither warrior could see the face of the other, a mutual boon that they carried, not having their plans read by an opponent so versed in reading their foes for so many years. He swung Monado in a quick flurry of slashes, the very wind not having time to fill the voids over the speed of the swings, yet Susanoomura deflected each and every one of them. This onslaught continued until Susanoomura found an opportunity to strike back, Mathis sidestepping out of the way and slashing down upon his hand. Susanoomura managed to dodge the attempt, yet it was enough for Mathis to begin to gain an upper hand on the situation. He danced his way towards Susanoomura, twirling his sword in at a feverish pace, the ringing steel becoming more and more strained. In the briefest moments that he glimpsed the crowd huddling around them, he noticed them start to strain their ears as the blade pitch rose higher and higher.  Finally, the apex of the battle, and the quick descent it would bring. Susanoomura's sword finally shattered, dozens of dripping shards of steel and silver littering the ground. Had Mathis been able to see his opponent's face, he wondered if he would see fear. Fear? Contentment? Happiness? There were so many options, such a wide range of emotions one could bear. Mathis pierced through where Susanoomura's heart would be.

He briefly looked down at the blade in his stomach before looking up at Mathis and removing his helmet. Despite the ethereal veil his form held, enough of the face was visible enough. It did not look elderly, rather it looked young. The man was an adult, yet not one elderly enough for wrinkles to settle on his soft, angular face. A content smile washed over him, giving a peaceful serenity. Though the eyes were most concealed by the fate of this phantom cloak, Mathis could tell they were closed in happiness. A tumbling flow of translucent, silver hair rumbled down his back as he accepted his fate.

"Tell me truly, Susanoomura-dono, you were not merely unable to get an honorable duel, you were robbed of honor, were you not?"

Uriaki smiled and nodded as Mathis removed Monado from his heart. "Indeed. I was hunting a group of bandits that had slain my child, and they had poisoned me. I was punished to a slow death as I wallowed in my failure to keep my honor as a royal guard. Even so, I wished to get vengeance, for a time. Until, finally, I had settled with trying to regain lost honor. Engaging in the most honorable fights I could to let my soul rest. Those people that killed me are long dead. They won, and I could not accept such a thing. Thank you, Lora-dono. You were able to wrest me from such an unfortunate fate."

Susanoomura closed his eyes one more as the body faded. Mathis said a quick prayer before setting upon his way to leaving. His work was done, and he needed to return to Silver Wolf to report as such. However, he was stopped before he could escape.

"M-Mister?" a child said, tugging upon the warrior's coat. "Th-that man has the same name as mine. Susanoomura. It's my family name, too. D-Does that mean..?"

Mathis smiled, rubbing his hand over the child's head. "I would suspect as such. Uriaki no Susanoomura, the legendary warrior, runs within your veins. The blood of an honorable expert fighter such as him flows in you, and it shall lead you to much the same sort of talent, I assure you. Remember the honor he showed. Even in his darkest times, tormented by the cruelty of the world, he stood strong and held fast to his own ideals. Do as such, child, and you will certainly grow to become as famous and renowned as him. Who knows? Perhaps in sixty years' time, you will be able to defeat me." Mathis chuckled slightly at his own joke before leaving.

The sun had fully set already, and night had encompassed the world. Mathis was not ready to sleep. As a Blade, nay, as a Flesh Eater, he did not experience tiredness. He would rest during the nights should he feel it necessary for the sake of normality, yet he had no need for it. This was not one of those times. He looked over the see once more. The faintest glimmer of moonlight bounced off its calming, powerful surface. To think that such a great and famous thing could hold so much destruction, yet so much peace and honor. Perhaps it was Mathis waxing philosophical once more, but he felt a pang of significance and relation between the sea and the warrior who had been so shackled by his past regrets. He was by no means malevolent. He defied a rule for the sake of a legitimate desire, and was punished for it, becoming a dangerous fighter. Mathis figured he could mull more over such mundane desires, but at present, he merely wished to reflect upon the world and the knowledge that was at hand.

The foreign nature of Midi contrasted with the new familiar home of Silver Wolf's guild hall. The wolves nodded their approval as Mathis crossed the pass to return to the mountaintop castle, Mathis calmly opening the doors as the sun began to rise, painting the snowy ground below in a comforting, calming light that beamed brightly into Mathis's eyes. After a short break within the guild hall to reacclimate himself to his familiar surroundings, he sought out his guild master, Leona, finding her in her office as he often did. "I have completed the task you have set out for me, Jarnefeldt-sama. I must thank you for granting me such an opportunity. I suspect that the people have sent word of the battle that ensued, and once more I thank you for such an opportunity. If you may forgive me speaking longer than I must, it has been some time since I last fought like this, in such an honorable way with another. Though I imagine that I spare little chance in a duel with you, would you be so kind as to eventually permit me to test the waters of my own combat with you or perhaps another one of the more talented mages within this guild of yours? It would be a great help to my learning. Thank you, Jarnefeldt-sama."

Mathis bowed and left the room, coming face-to-face with Poppi, who wrapped her arms around him in a hug. "Poppi is glad that Master has returned!"

Mathis sighed, releasing himself from the hug after letting Poppi indulge in it for a moment longer. "I am glad to have returned as well. I have two questions for you. First is the usual report on information gathering. The second is what you want, coming upon me like that in such a manner?"

Poppi pouted. "Poppi does not want anything! All Poppi is asking is if Master brought a souvenir home from Midi for investigative purposes!"

Mathis could not help but crack a smile as Poppi began her intelligence report.

WC: 3103 | TWC: 3103

Template Made by Pokomon
    Edited by SlayerMathis

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Honor Amongst Men DcM8us5

[center]Mathis Lora | Blademaster Lineage | Monado | Magic | Poppi

Current date/time is 28th March 2024, 1:53 pm