Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

Magic Changes

Strawberry
    Strawberry

Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Blessed By the Fourth Wall
    Position : None
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 250

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Anime Magic
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Magic Changes Empty Magic Changes

Post by Strawberry 23rd October 2018, 11:36 pm

My thoughts on the Magic Changes are very neutral, they are good for the most part in my opinion, and they are rather quality of life changes. However, there is one group in particular that I feel don't benefit as much from the magic changes, and in fact are being pentalized for pretty much no reason, knowingly or unknowingly.

See, as far as I can tell the changes were made because of clutter in the Magic Rules, and that making long magics could crush muse. And sure, both statements are very correct, but what about the people that are willing to go through the effort to be fully commited to one magic, or be committed to one more so than the others?

With the old system, the Primary Magic pretty much defined your character's combat style since it was, yknow, your P R I M A R Y magic (not rocket science there), and the secondary and tertiary magics were just little add-ons. With this new system, people that tried to build around a certain mechanic or something are getting shafted here. Unique Abilities are being limited per magic, which would mean that if someone has a mechanic built into their characters across multiple UAs, now with the new changes they either need to 1 - Waste other UA slots on another magic in order to keep the previous mechanics in tact, 2 - Waste spell slots, or 3 - just... Get rid of it. The removal of the 3 magic systems just screws over the focusing element of magics, both at lower and higher ranks, who actually wanted to have a primary source of magic that they want to build around.

Going along with this, this next part is just something that I've always had in mind, even before the new changes: Why can't we combine magics?

It'd be simple. If we trained or bought Secondary Magic (or I guess in this case a "second magic"), why can't we just port over the spell slots and Unique Ability slots to our original magic. Yes it will make individual apps larger, but the grading process for magic will still technically be the same since it's the same amount of content being graded. And it would remedy the situation I mentioned above. People who want to seriously focus on one particular magic can just simply port over the UA and spell slots from a second acquired magic, and wouldn't have to worry about being shafted. At the same time, it also wouldn't pentalize those that actually want to use the new implimented system.

Heck, there could be mixing and matching if you wanna go the extra mile (although even I know that's a bit stretching, too complicated in the long run to have to mention how many of what you're porting or whatever)

Also, the first response I imagine getting would be "Well, if you wanna keep the same general idea of a magic, just make the next magic the same or very similar to the first." And again, that would still kinda be giving someone the short end of the stick. If someone wanted to still have 2 or 3 really different magics, while also having 1 magic still be pretty much their "primary" magic, they're getting cut in the end.

Also, why can't members just choose to keep the old system with their magics anyways? If I recall correctly, and I very well might not due to it being 2:30 in the morning, but don't the overall spell slots and unique abilities among the 3 total magics pretty much equivelant? If they're equivelant, there shouldn't be a problem with some using the old primary / secondary / tertiary system if they so desire.

Overall, I think that the idea behind the magic changes were good but just gloss over some and give them the finger.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Magic Changes NaomiSig
    Fluffy
    Fluffy

Player 
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 0

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Flames Of The Underworld
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Magic Changes Empty Re: Magic Changes

Post by Fluffy 25th October 2018, 2:47 pm

You already brought up most of the counter points yourself, so I won't mention them. Just address the suggestion. None of that is going to happen.

An idea such as people being able to use the old system would mean staff would have to grade off those old values which in some cases are no where near the old ones per magic, even though they come up higher in the new magic totals. No one can reasonably expect the staff team to grade based off two different systems. We enjoy doing things for the site, otherwise we wouldn't be doing this, but at the end of the day our positions are not jobs they are volunteer basis we don't get paid whatsoever, we're still players and have real lives. Thus, we have to put our foot down on things like this to keep grading simple enough that we can actually do it consistently. It's the same with porting and such, it would be another thing that staff has to keep track of on top of normal grading, another set of rules, another section in the guide. This was done to stop the stunting of magic or of play due to it, make the guide easier on people, and help grading go faster, your suggestion entirely conflicts with two of the reasons for the update.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Nyx LuxEquipmentPrimarySecondaryTetariy
    Magic Changes Nyxsig
    ★  You Created Me, Something I Would Have Never Seen.  ★

Current date/time is 28th March 2024, 5:07 am