Liber Mortis; lit. book of death
Magic Name: Liber Mortis
Magic Type: Caster, Solitary
Liber Mortis descends from an obscure magick oft regarded as a dark form of the arcane arts. In truth, it is heavily misunderstood, and in ages long past was used by a line of Spiritists, a cadre of mages that have since dwindled in numbers, in the exiling of worldly evils. These mages sealed away great evils whose contained powers were then used to continue the battle against darkness, but would ultimately be destroyed or permanently sealed away to prevent misuse. Over the years, variations appeared, but rarely had there ever been human vessels due to the consequences of binding such malevolent souls to an already-occupied body. As such, objects, particularly enchanted scrolls and books, were used to house such entities, and thus birthed the discipline of Liber Mortis.
Mohua wields a personalised version of Liber Mortis where instead of undead, hellish beings, the magic has been turned against the living. He invokes the greater evils of the arcane using himself as a conduit, and is capable of casting sinister spells, bring about pestilence and plague and death. Liber Mortis was meant for maintaining the balance between life and death, good and evil, but in his hands it's been twisted and repurposed into a weapon to serve only himself, leaving chaos and disorder in its wake. Mohua traps and seals the fragmented souls of wrathful beings in his own body, thus acting as a living vessel, and draws upon the powers and abilities from said entities, which manifest into a dark, unholy magic of taxes and shadows. In exchange, he lives with them for the rest of his life, and shares their weaknesses, albeit to a lesser degree. As they are no longer whole souls, he's more or less become a mixing pot of sorts, and whatever consciousnesses might manifest tend to be echoes of the original and more traits than an actual existence. Hence, most do not converse with him, and their interactions are generally through suggestions and impulses that are not of his own, but the stronger ones with greater sentience do manage to verbalise their thoughts more ocassionally. Sleepless nights are common occurences, privacy becomes but a luxury, and as the number of souls increases so does the strain on him. Upon use, a series of runes appear on his skin.
At some point, Mohua has stopped aging. Death by old age has ceased to be a possibility, and he is free to enjoy his eternal prime. While immortal, however, he is not infallible, and can be killed as easily as any other mortal.
- Heightened intuition from having extra sets of consciousness in him. Sure, they get a little rowdy at times, and they're more like pesty animals, but at least his instincts and reaction times are sharper than average.
- Strong against lower-ranked holy magic.
- Full, but not instant recovery. As the host, the Mohua's survival equates to their survival, and the entities he hosts will instinctually try to keep him alive as a means of self-preservation. This means that wounds will heal better and just a pinch faster, and not scar as badly. Regular illnesses are not contracted as easily either. Detached limbs and organs can be re-attached, or substituted by fusing with another's as long as he can acquire that part.
- Physically & mentally taxing, unsuitable for long-term use without backlash (bodily fatigue, emotional/mental fatigue, mental instability, hallucinations, grouchiness). Mohua may also ocassionally get flashbacks and fragments of memories that do not belong to him.
- Prolonged usage results in increasing inability to distinguish between friend and foe when HP is low/user feels threatened.
- Weak against higher-ranked holy magic. Even healing magic could do more harm than good if the element is of holy origin.
- Mohua needs an insane amount of fuel to keep his magic reserves up, as the entities do require sustenance themselves. It should be noted that blood or raw flesh is the most efficient source of magical nutrition in his case.
- Not everyone gets along, and there are occasions where they become uncooperative, especially when agitated by something. While Mohua keeps them in check most times, it's still a lot of work. Due to this, there are times when the user is incredibly unfocused and easier to distract.
《 Oujia: 》 Mohua is capable of seeing and communicating with most of the dead and wandering spirits, and can roughly sense the presence of said spirits in the vicinity (50m range).
《 Incubus: 》 The forbidden fruit tastes sweetest. The darkness, while frightening, can also be seductive and tempting to the weak-minded, and Mohua is both a pariah and temptor. From an intimate gesture (kiss, whisper by the ear, staring into the eyes etc.), he can persuade another to want to do something, but they may not necessarily follow through. It's also largely ineffective on individuals with certain predispositions (mind/holy/illusion magic, mental barriers etc.) against such an ability.
《 Gluttony: 》 Evil thrives upon chaos. When surrounded by darkness, death or suffering, the user feels reinvigorated. Mohua can draw strength from an environment of dark/negative energy once per thread and recover 15% of his original health.
Last edited by Mohua on 30th November 2018, 6:35 am; edited 4 times in total