Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

One Last Fight (Honorable Death)

Leona Jarnefeldt
    Leona Jarnefeldt

Main Account- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Rising Star- Guild Master- Neutral Guild Ace- Z-Rank- Y-Rank- X-Rank- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- EXP Grinder- Jewel Grinder- Working Together- Forever Solo- Christian Minecraft Server- I Have Friends...- Hired Help- Idolize- The Completionist- Achiever- Expert Achiever- Buddy Buddy- Obligatory Beach Episode- Sticking Around- Loyal to the Bone- Taskmaster- Halloween Social - Halloween job event participant - Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500] - Novice [250]- 3rd Place Event/Contest Winner- X-Mas Event Participant- Summer Special Participant- Player 
    Lineage : Nemean Lion
    Position : Saint of Courage
    Faction : The Luminous Covenant
    Guild : Silver Wolf [Guild Master]
    Cosmic Coins : 215
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Mentor : N/A
    Experience : 11,344,090

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Wind Strike Magic
    Second Magic: Wind Summon Magic
    Third Magic:

One Last Fight (Honorable Death) Empty One Last Fight (Honorable Death)

Post by Leona Jarnefeldt 27th March 2018, 11:32 pm

Leona swore to herself that she would take an easy job after the dance with the dead. Her experience in Silent Cemetery also convinced her that she might want to join up with a guild. Dangerous jobs were a lot easier with support from other people. Still, Leona was proud that she had braved Silent Cemetery and completed the job. Not every job was going to be as easy as standing in line for a passport, so the blonde was determined to not back down unless the odds were overwhelming... perhaps she would not back down even then.

She thought that living in a desert for sixteen years was hardship enough. She was wrong. The lifestyle of a guildless mage was one of freedom, but also one full of difficulty. For better or worse, she was on her own. If unforeseen complications arose, chances were low to nonexistent that someone would rescue her.

Leona wondered why she took on the job of giving an old warrior an honorable death. It would not be easy nor safe. It was also something that ate at her. Was killing an older man acceptable, even if he explicitly spelled out that was what he wanted? Leona almost regretted taking the job, but she would not back out.

Arriving in Oshibana, Leona spotted the old warrior immediately. Dressed in full warrior panoply, he looked the part of a veteran of countless battles. His arms and armor were simple and businesslike. He carried a plain kite shield and a sheathed double-edged longsword. However, in a world full of magical weapons, armor, and items, "plain" did not mean harmless.

"Hail, young one! Are you the one who answered my call?" He asked her. Ice blue eyes met her own. Leona was somewhat intimidated by him.

"Yes." Leona answered. The old man smiled.

"I am Ior Valiir. I have lived for eighty years and have been fighting for over sixty of them. Today will be my last fight." Ior introduced himself in a grave tone of voice.

"I am fighting an adversary that no man can defeat. Time. I know that I cannot win against it. That is why I want you to kill me in honorable combat. I want to die while I can still fight." He continued. Leona listened to him. Six similarly clad warriors emerged from a nearby building.

"Do not fear, young one. They are here to ensure that no one interferes. They are also here to witness our battle." He said to her.

"Where are we fighting?" Leona asked him.

"On the outskirts of town. No innocents need to get caught up in our fight." He replied.

"Come now. We go." Ior beckoned. Leona wordlessly followed. The six other warriors followed suit.

-Outskirts of Oshibana, in a clearing-

"I noticed that you do not have a weapon, young one. Why is that?" Ior asked.

"I'm saving up for a weapon. A good one." Leona answered truthfully. Ior motioned to one of the warriors, who presented her with a similar sword and shield. Leona reluctantly took them.

"Now our fight will be fair. In return for my gift, I would prefer that you do not use magic. If you must, then strike the killing blow while I am facing you." Ior requested.

"I will." Leona solemnly vowed.

"Tell me, young one. What is your name?" He asked.

"Leona. Leona Jarnefeldt." Leona answered.

"Leona. Leona, you answered my call. For that I am grateful." Ior stated as he drew his sword. He made a "present arms" gesture with his sword. Leona drew her own and returned the gesture.

"Today... today the gates of Valhalla open for me!" Ior exclaimed before charging to the attack.

Leona stood her ground. She was not going to be shoved around. She was wrong. Ior's sword hit with unexpected force upon her shield. She weathered strike after strike.

Ior kept bashing away and Leona kept defending. Suddenly he spun around and past her shield and cut her left arm. Leona screamed.

"You will not win by hiding behind your shield, Leona!" Ior admonished her.

"NO PITY!" Ior exclaimed as he rushed her again. This time Leona was ready. She braced herself and met his attack with her shield. When the sword impacted, Leona made a forceful stab at Ior. She only grazed his side.

"Ha ha! That is it, Leona!" Ior complimented her. He then rushed in again, bashing her with his shield. Leona staggered and was caught off guard as he pulled her shield to the side with his own.

"NO REMORSE!" He shouted before a gloved hand crashed into her face. Leona staggered backward and dropped her shield. Ior was upon her with his own sword. He slashed and cut her across the stomach.

"NO FEAR!" He called out as he bashed her again with his shield. Leona went sprawling onto her back, dropping her shield. Ior rushed over and began stabbing the ground where she lay.

"Rise, Leona! NO PITY!" He admonished her. He stabbed the dirt as Leona rolled to the side. He kept going, stabbing the ground as he chased her. Leona rolled until she got enough clearance to stand up. Ior was upon her in an instant. Leona dodged his strikes until she recovered her shield.

Leona countered another overhead strike with her shield, then kicked him in the chest. Ior staggered backwards, giving her just enough time to recover her sword. It was Leona's turn to take the fight to him.

Leona raced forward. She opened with a shield bash against his own. She then followed with a flurry of strikes. He blocked them all and angled for a stab. Leona dodged it and spun around his shield, slashing his left arm.

"Well done Leona!" Ior complimented her. He then tossed aside his shield. Leona followed suit.

The pair raced towards each other. It was a clash of young warrior versus old veteran. The other worries bore stone countenances as the blades of Ior and Leona clashed. This was it. The battle hinged on what happened next.

They were engaged in a blade lock, their eyes meeting. Neither party was going to quit. They had both come too far to quit. Leona spun out of it and performed a sweeping swing that Ior blocked. He rushed and punched her in the face. Leona stood firm and returned the punch with one of her own.

Both combatants circled around one another, looking for an opening that would give them a chance to win. Ior kept his blade moving. Leona kept hers up in a defensive posture. They circled in a slow dance that abruptly ended when they stopped in unison. Who would make the first fatal mistake?

Ior made the first move. He made a few feints before committing to a lunge. Leona dodged just in time and was close enough to feel his armored body brush against her own. Ior recovered without missing a step. He turned and aimed towards her again.

He repeated the feints, this time going faster. Leona stood her ground, patiently waiting for the incoming attack. Just when she thought he was going to lunge he made a downward swing with both hands, making Leona scream as it missed her face by mere inches. Ior smiled.

The pair circled around each other one last time. Again Ior kept his blade moving. Again Leona raised hers in a defensive posture. Again they stopped in unison like experienced dance partners. Leona had a feeling that this time would be the last.

Ior bellowed as he made another series feints. Leona stood her ground, carefully backing up. Ior then prepared for another stab. This was it! Leona advanced into it with her own thrust, hitting him squarely in the chest as his blade grazed her leg.

Ior dropped his sword and examined his wound, then looked at her. He coughed up blood. He smiled and showed teeth stained with crimson.

"Well done... Leona." Ior said before collapsing. He raised a hand to her. Leona rushed over to him and knelt down. Her hand was taken entirely within the gauntlet.

"I am glad, Leona. Glad that my last fight was with you. Leona." He said with a smile. She heard his breathing grow labored. Seconds later he expired. He was still smiling.

"It is done." One of the warriors announced. In unison the six walked over to her. Leona was wounded but alive. Why did she feel sad?

"Ior Valdiir has fallen in honorable combat. Valhalla has gained another warrior worthy of walking its halls." A young blond warrior said to her. As one of the warriors gathered the arms loaned to Leona, two of the warriors gathered Ior's sword and shield and brought them over to his body. The sword was placed in Ior's hands before his body was hoisted up by the other five.

"Ior shall be forever honored." The young man stated. He then turned to Leona. Ice blue eyes met green eyes.

"You too deserve honor, Leona. You fought him like a true warrior and refrained from using magic. He would not have wanted it any other way." He said. He then extended a bag of Jewels and a bottle filled with red liquid.

"Here is the payment of Jewels promised for completion of the job. And here is a potion of healing. Ior set the potion aside with instructions to give it to whoever defeated him." He said. Leona took both. She felt dirty, like she was receiving blood money instead of payment for a completed job. The young man noticed her facial expression.

"Do not be upset, Leona. He is now in Valhalla. He will watch your journey with interest. Perhaps one day you can join him there and you can exchange tales of your deeds with him." The young man said before drawing his sword and saluting her. Leona watched as he turned around and rejoined his companions. Leona put away the Jewels and watched until the group faded from view.

[Word Count: 1675/1000]

Current date/time is 28th March 2024, 9:27 am