Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

Passives Suggestion

Nazaki
    Nazaki

Player 
    Lineage : None
    Position : None
    Guild : Infinity Hydra
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 212.5

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Soul Breaker
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Important Passives Suggestion

Post by Nazaki 22nd January 2017, 6:38 pm

PSA:

Let's get straight into it.

Passives & Abilities can literally do anything, I've seen it all. There's one way to fix this, HAVE MORE THAN ONE MOD LOOK AT AN APP. Specifically spells and shit. Like I have no problem with things being OP, but mods are normal people, and if they don't think something is OP, another mod might. An ability shouldn't allow you to be immune to physical attacks from anybody lower than your rank without you taking more damage from attacks higher than your rank. That's balance. There should be Criteria for each ability you have for weapons and magic. If you're D rank and using lightning manipulation magic, you shouldn't have full immunity to lightning. First of all you're D rank... not even adept at using your magic. Second of all you're not a damn slayer.

Passives/Abilites:

My suggestion is; all users start with 1 passive or ability for their magic. Second and third passives can be acquired by ranking up but caps at 3. D rank = 1 Passive, C rank = 2 passives, etc.. That way people who are D rank can't just start being all magically powerful without working for it, while S ranks will clearly show why they're more powerful. If you want a stronger passive, you can wait until B rank, A rank, or S rank to make your passive. As it stands, I can easily match an A rank so rank really doesn't matter. Not saying that's bad, but lets be realistic a little; Nobody at D rank should be a supergodpowerfulopomg without working to enhance their magic.

Ban things. It's what makes everything equal (I don't even agree with the idea of VIP). You just gonna approve a passive that allows someone to walk through physical objects? That's a damn spell.

There should also be levels to passives. Like okay at D rank you can have a passive that increases your natural mana pool by 25% at the start of the battle, but natural mana regeneration over time should be banned, or a A-S rank passive. Like what? Come on..

More mods per magic app + Passive Restrictions.

That's all for now folks. I just wanna see some opinions on this, if you think it's stupid let me know, I won't get upset. If you agree, have anything to add feel free to say. There's more, but I'm too lazy to write it. I'll suggest more stuff later.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Passives Suggestion Thumb-1920-120122
    "Well, what are you waiting for...Guest?"
    The Mage | The Magic | The Arsenal
    Anastasia Isayev
    Anastasia Isayev

Moderator- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Guild Master- S-Rank- A-Rank- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Valkyrian
    Guild : Black Sails GM
    Mentor : [Primary] Ivan Isayev [Secondary] Fafnir, the World Dragon
    Experience : 321116

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Mechanized REquip
    Second Skill: Dragons' Champion
    Third Skill:

Important Re: Passives Suggestion

Post by Anastasia Isayev 22nd January 2017, 6:45 pm

I got a simple answer for all of this.  
    Sometimes, when we have issues grading something.. We ask the other mods in the skype chat for their opinion.  And most of the times, we go with the opinions given to us.

While this suggestion merely boils down to "Someone has broken stuff, fix it at the source" people already complain about their magic taking too long as it is to get graded.  Having someone go over it again would not only make the magic take twice as long to grade but it would also frustrate the person getting their magic graded.

Where 1 mod says "no, that's good" the second mod would be like "no, change that".  It's having 2 differing opinions grading your stuff causing you to change things you either:
    A) Didn't need to change
    B) Changed, but changed again due to differing opinion
    C) Changed, but reverted to original due to differing opinion.  

While I do think it would probably be a good idea for a "second opinion" it isn't really conducive as it takes people away from making sure people get their magic done and it spreads us, as staff, thinner than we already are.
    And having more mods on a single app =/= better either.  Just saying.

TL;DR -- If a magic is seen as OP, just report it to an admin to have it pulled.
    If it's OP, provide proof of why it's OP to the admin (links help too) but also list out what is broken specifically. Saying "it's broken" doesn't help it get less broken.
    Nazaki wrote:
    PSA:

Let's get straight into it.

Passives & Abilities can literally do anything, I've seen it all. There's one way to fix this, HAVE MORE THAN ONE MOD LOOK AT AN APP. Specifically spells and shit. Like I have no problem with things being OP, but mods are normal people, and if they don't think something is OP, another mod might. An ability shouldn't allow you to be immune to physical attacks from anybody lower than your rank without you taking more damage from attacks higher than your rank. That's balance. There should be Criteria for each ability you have for weapons and magic. If you're D rank and using lightning manipulation magic, you shouldn't have full immunity to lightning. First of all you're D rank... not even adept at using your magic. Second of all you're not a damn slayer.

Passives/Abilites:

My suggestion is; all users start with 1 passive or ability for their magic. Second and third passives can be acquired by ranking up but caps at 3. D rank = 1 Passive, C rank = 2 passives, etc.. That way people who are D rank can't just start being all magically powerful without working for it, while S ranks will clearly show why they're more powerful. If you want a stronger passive, you can wait until B rank, A rank, or S rank to make your passive. As it stands, I can easily match an A rank so rank really doesn't matter. Not saying that's bad, but lets be realistic a little; Nobody at D rank should be a supergodpowerfulopomg without working to enhance their magic.

Ban things. It's what makes everything equal (I don't even agree with the idea of VIP). You just gonna approve a passive that allows someone to walk through physical objects? That's a damn spell.

There should also be levels to passives. Like okay at D rank you can have a passive that increases your natural mana pool by 25% at the start of the battle, but natural mana regeneration over time should be banned, or a A-S rank passive. Like what? Come on..

That's all for now folks. I just wanna see some opinions on this, if you think it's stupid let me know, I won't get upset. If you agree, have anything to add feel free to say. There's more, but I'm too lazy to write it. I'll suggest more stuff later.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

[Character Approval] [Mechanized REquip Spells] [Dragons' Champion] [The Eye of Odin] [Bank]
    Wave your banner!  
    Join the Black Sails today!
    The Guild is Set to OPEN!  -- This means, feel free to join!
    Nazaki
    Nazaki

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nazaki 22nd January 2017, 6:55 pm

I only suggested that because I'm on a site that has 2 mods look over things. It helps to make sure things are not overpowered because 1 mod may have missed something, but it may not work everywhere so I understand.

But in terms of giving passives for magic some restriction?

Anastasia Isayev
    Anastasia Isayev

Moderator- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Guild Master- S-Rank- A-Rank- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Anastasia Isayev 22nd January 2017, 6:56 pm

Passives/Abilites:

Well, let me follow up on this as I didn't get around to touching this in my previous post..

While I am on-board with the whole "lower number of passives/UAs" bit.. I've been complaining that we get too much to begin with... But with the site the way it is currently, lowering the UAs now would cause a HUUUUUGE backlash and would require more than "Just a little bit of work" on behalf of the staff to regrade all these magics and all that.

We will not specifically ban things (hard ban) due to that 'stifling creativity'.  While I, as a player, wouldn't mind the banning of immunities (just my personal opinion), I don't expect to see a ban on anything due to it stifling creativity.  Some better guidelines for things, yes, I agree.  But banning?  No, that's not gonna happen any time in the foreseeable future.

Levels to passives?  Um.. Like having a D Rank passive... C Rank passive... B Rank passive, etc etc?  You need to explain a bit more.  Mana regeneration is necessary, especially since this site utilizes percentage for MP instead of flat numbers (which the percentages CAN get awfully confusing).  However, due to spells of your rank costing your first born child to cast, MP regen is necessary for some people's builds.

I only suggested that because I'm on a site that has 2 mods look over things. It helps to make sure things are not overpowered because 1 mod may have missed something, but it may not work everywhere so I understand.
    More mods per magic app isn't necessary.  It's a time waster.  We are also not that site.
    What would make things less "overpowered" would be to have better guidelines on things instead of "Eh.. that sounds right"

[Character Approval] [Mechanized REquip Spells] [Dragons' Champion] [The Eye of Odin] [Bank]
    Wave your banner!  
    Nazaki
    Nazaki

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nazaki 22nd January 2017, 7:01 pm

That's why I said sometimes it doesn't work on every site and I understand.

What would make things less "overpowered" would be to have better guidelines on things instead of "Eh.. that sounds right"

I agree. I understand the whole creativity thing, but there are ways to keep the creativity at a high level while also making sure passives and magics aren't OP. Like whats the point of banning space/time magic or making it hard to obtain if I could make a custom magic better?

Like if two D ranks with different magics fight they should have an equal battle, not a battle of who's passive was approved at a more powerful rate.

Eris
    Eris

Lich of hell

Lich of hell

Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- Regular VIP Status- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Horseman- 11 Sinner- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- God Slayer- Demon Slayer- Dragon Slayer- Legal Guild Ace- H-Rank- S-Rank- Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Senior [500]- Player 
    Lineage : Devil's Conquest
    Guild : Grim Heresy [GM]
    Cosmic Coins : 5
    Experience : 0

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Sunset Eclipse - The Sandstorm GS
    Second Skill: Titan Eclipse • Devil Pact
    Third Skill:

Post by Eris 22nd January 2017, 7:03 pm

✓ Invoking wide sweeping change that would require changes to everyone's existing magics.
    ✓ Adding more restrictions and limitations on creation.
    ✓ Further increasing the time it takes to get things approved.
    ✓ Increasing strain on staff.

Reducing overall enjoyment.

Anything that alters the functions and capability of existing things should be taken with a heavy grain of salt and is usually destructive to a site.   Let alone something so dramatically different as to strip away huge chunks of existing characters and require the remaking of applications,  such as limiting passives from up to 7 (Not counting "Plot Abilities".  Lineage abilities.  Item passives, and secondary magic.) down to three

Actively taking from what members currently use,  is ridiculously awful. 

Passives Suggestion NvVyM98

Passives Suggestion CkggyrF

Deception | Despair | Domination
    H 1 S 7 A 7+1 B 8+1 C 9 D 11
    d a m n a t i o n
    Nazaki
    Nazaki

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nazaki 22nd January 2017, 7:05 pm

All I'm talking about is passives...like just the passive part. I understand everything you're saying but if it's going to better the site then why not?

Nazaki
    Nazaki

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nazaki 22nd January 2017, 7:06 pm

I mean I'm sure you know there are things that are approved that shouldn't be approved. I'm just trying to make it equal for people so that it isn't a fight on who's magic is better, it's Magic + RP skill. You know?

Anastasia Isayev
    Anastasia Isayev

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Anastasia Isayev 22nd January 2017, 7:08 pm

Like whats the point of banning space/time magic or making it hard to obtain if I could make a custom magic better?
    Space/Time magic isn't banned.
    Nor is it hard to obtain.

No idea where you got that from.
    -----
    UAs are generally passive. While you can have "activated" UAs, they are generally considered passives.

While your sentiment is noted, I don't think anything you've really suggested will be used for the site any time soon due to it being too limiting, too time consuming, and it'll piss off far too many people. Though, I, myself am in agreement with lowering the number of UAs, I'm certain we are a small minority. But as a member of staff, I can confidently tell you that doing so will be destructive to the site.

Wave your banner!  
    Eris
    Eris

Lich of hell

Lich of hell

Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- Regular VIP Status- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Horseman- 11 Sinner- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- God Slayer- Demon Slayer- Dragon Slayer- Legal Guild Ace- H-Rank- S-Rank- Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Senior [500]- Player 

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Eris 22nd January 2017, 7:10 pm

The site would be far from better off,  you're actively taking from people.   EVERYONE has more than three passives let alone players of higher ranks,  Everyone starting off with four and getting more with just 1 rank up (Particularly noting secondary magics gained at C)

That is incredibly destructive to a community and to the enjoyment of everyone but the few who think that's a good idea. (Likely also being those who lose the least). 

Since when has any population enjoyed it when those with authority sweep in and take things you've used,  maybe even require to maintain your way of life.   This is heavy as well,  akin to someone coming through and bulldozing over half your house to make room for a parking lot because they thought "Well you don't need those extra rooms" and there goes your study, library,  spare bath and guest room or more.  

d a m n a t i o n
    Nazaki
    Nazaki

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nazaki 22nd January 2017, 7:15 pm

I understand @Ana. Eris, I kind of understand where you're coming from you're someone who doesn't have OP shit, then you look around like "Oh wow, how'd he/she get that" it kinda gets you upset. Is all I'm saying. lol relax you get to keep your OP things bro.

Anastasia Isayev
    Anastasia Isayev

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Anastasia Isayev 22nd January 2017, 7:19 pm

I understand @Ana. Eris, I kind of understand where you're coming from you're someone who doesn't have OP shit, then you look around like "Oh wow, how'd he/she get that" it kinda gets you upset. Is all I'm saying. lol relax you get to keep your OP things bro.
    As I said before.. if you see someone with OP stuff, send the information and why/how it is OP to an admin and they will pull the magic.  
    No need to be upset about something when there are ways to fix it. Nor is it polite to tell someone to "Relax you get to keep your OP things bro". Please tone that down.

Wave your banner!  
    Nazaki
    Nazaki

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nazaki 22nd January 2017, 7:21 pm

Ah, wasn't aware that you said that. Thank you I appreciate it, will do.

Eris
    Eris

Lich of hell

Lich of hell

Character Sheet
    Third Skill:

Post by Eris 22nd January 2017, 7:22 pm

Nazaki wrote:I understand @Ana. Eris, I kind of understand where you're coming from you're someone who doesn't have OP shit, then you look around like "Oh wow, how'd he/she get that" it kinda gets you upset. Is all I'm saying. lol relax you get to keep your OP things bro.

That's like coming into an MMO and calling the level 50's OP,  when they've been grinding and growing for years and you're still just level 10.    

It's not like a moba or first person shooter where everyone has the same junk from square one and what little growth there is doesn't give the early players a significant advantage over the newcomers.   Just like in that long standing MMO if you want to compete with the endgame players,  you have to actually reach endgame yourself.     They're at a dead end,  you're not.  You can grow and reach the ceiling with them and join in.

It doesn't mean they are OP, 99% of the time. It means you have room to grow.

d a m n a t i o n
    Nazaki
    Nazaki

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Nazaki 22nd January 2017, 7:25 pm

Eris wrote:
    Nazaki wrote:I understand @Ana. Eris, I kind of understand where you're coming from you're someone who doesn't have OP shit, then you look around like "Oh wow, how'd he/she get that" it kinda gets you upset. Is all I'm saying. lol relax you get to keep your OP things bro.

That's like coming into an MMO and calling the level 50's OP,  when they've been grinding and growing for years and you're still just level 10.    

It's not like a moba or first person shooter where everyone has the same junk from square one and what little growth there is doesn't give the early players a significant advantage over the newcomers.   Just like in that long standing MMO if you want to compete with the endgame players,  you have to actually reach endgame yourself.     They're at a dead end,  you're not.  You can grow and reach the ceiling with them and join in.

It doesn't mean they are OP, 99% of the time.  It means you have room to grow.

What I'm saying is - because I've experienced it - if two D ranks are fighting they should be nearly on the same level. It shouldn't be who's magic is better and etc.. Idk what sites you've been on, but I've been on quite a few and none like this. If they were like this when combat was involved it never went we..The conversation is over, but thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Bass
    Bass

Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Coming Storms-- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Dragon's Spirit
    Cosmic Coins : 1
    Mentor : -
    Experience : 125

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Naknight
    Second Skill:
    Third Skill:

Post by Bass 23rd January 2017, 2:35 am

Anything that will cause a sitewide overhaul of magic is not going to fly.
    Yes there may be some OP magics (in truth I don't see many) but punishing every single member on site for it is not the way forward.

We also don't have the staff man power to regrade every apps UAs. Remember, that would be primary magic and secondary magic which can range from 3 UAs at D to 10 at H.

Now let's look at the issue.

UAs aren't passives. Not always. They can be things that are 'active' to some extent. For example, in canon the wind mage Erigor can fly freely as part of his magic. He's not constantly flying, but with a small amount of focus he can fly.

This is a UA of his magic. The reason why it seems spell like is because it is a spell, but its basically such a small amount that it doesn't effect anything.

You've said that immunities and stuff shouldn't be allowed and I agree. I don't like the idea of 100% immunities. At most it should be 50% of equal rank. With up to 75% if the spell is three ranks or more below you.

Things like elemental body (as Juvia has) which makes her immune to physical blows they have to balance that with weaknesses e.g. it only activates if they are conciously aware of the blow, they take extra damage from x element, it drains a small amount of MP. The staff have guidelines on this.

UAS do have some rank to some extent. A H rank with a UA will have a stronger UA then an D rank. For example, all of mine mention scaling to rank. Like my mist that lets me map out an area starts off with a range at D rank and it increases each rank to give me more range.

I don't think I have seen a truly OP app. All of them have some balance. There may be on occasion a couple of UAs that are like 'err....' but its rare .

---------------
    Now let's look at PvP combat which seems to be where this has come from. On what planet are two people with equal level of magic equal in combat? Some people's magic is going to be more suited to taking on certain types of opponents then others. Some people are also going to be more experienced in combat even if they are D rank. Some people are also going to better rpers.

Do you know why there isn't a huge difference between D ranks and C ranks or even B ranks? Because this is a roleplay site and we want things to come down to RP skill and how people use that magic in creative ways. Sure I can throw a lightning bolt and that looks flashy, but what if I see you stand in a puddle. I can throw the lightning at that puddle and shock you.

That being said there is very little PVP except in events and the site is not focused on PVP at all. You need to stop thinking of magic as 'oh i need to be equal to them' and instead just create something that is fun.

Welcome Guest.

Passives Suggestion 8Xdz1Cq

Current missions(0/6):
    Cirven
    Cirven

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Moderator- VIP- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Guild Master- Demon Slayer- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : The Devil Jester
    Experience : 833,050

Character Sheet
    First Skill: Devil's Zeal
    Second Skill: Aphyon Jivven
    Third Skill: Vir'ednith

Post by Cirven 23rd January 2017, 5:14 am

Anastasia Isayev wrote:
    Like whats the point of banning space/time magic or making it hard to obtain if I could make a custom magic better?
    Space/Time magic isn't banned.  
    Nor is it hard to obtain.  

No idea where you got that from.
    -----
    UAs are generally passive.  While you can have "activated" UAs, they are generally considered passives.

While your sentiment is noted, I don't think anything you've really suggested will be used for the site any time soon due to it being too limiting, too time consuming, and it'll piss off far too many people.  Though, I, myself am in agreement with lowering the number of UAs, I'm certain we are a small minority.  But as a member of staff, I can confidently tell you that doing so will be destructive to the site.

Eris wrote:The site would be far from better off,  you're actively taking from people.   EVERYONE has more than three passives let alone players of higher ranks,  Everyone starting off with four and getting more with just 1 rank up (Particularly noting secondary magics gained at C)

That is incredibly destructive to a community and to the enjoyment of everyone but the few who think that's a good idea. (Likely also being those who lose the least). 

Since when has any population enjoyed it when those with authority sweep in and take things you've used,  maybe even require to maintain your way of life.   This is heavy as well,  akin to someone coming through and bulldozing over half your house to make room for a parking lot because they thought "Well you don't need those extra rooms" and there goes your study, library,  spare bath and guest room or more.  

Veil Crane wrote:Anything that will cause a sitewide overhaul of magic is not going to fly.
    Yes there may be some OP magics (in truth I don't see many) but punishing every single member on site for it is not the way forward.

We also don't have the staff man power to regrade every apps UAs. Remember, that would be primary magic and secondary magic which can range from 3 UAs at D to 10 at H.

Now let's look at the issue.

UAs aren't passives. Not always. They can be things that are 'active' to some extent. For example, in canon the wind mage Erigor can fly freely as part of his magic. He's not constantly flying, but with a small amount of focus he can fly.

This is a UA of his magic. The reason why it seems spell like is because it is a spell, but its basically such a small amount that it doesn't effect anything.

You've said that immunities and stuff shouldn't be allowed and I agree. I don't like the idea of 100% immunities. At most it should be 50% of equal rank. With up to 75% if the spell is three ranks or more below you.

Things like elemental body (as Juvia has) which makes her immune to physical blows they have to balance that with weaknesses e.g. it only activates if they are conciously aware of the blow, they take extra damage from x element, it drains a small amount of MP. The staff have guidelines on this.

UAS do have some rank to some extent. A H rank with a UA will have a stronger UA then an D rank. For example, all of mine mention scaling to rank. Like my mist that lets me map out an area starts off with a range at D rank and it increases each rank to give me more range.

I don't think I have seen a truly OP app. All of them have some balance. There may be on occasion a couple of UAs that are like 'err....' but its rare .

---------------
    Now let's look at PvP combat which seems to be where this has come from. On what planet are two people with equal level of magic equal in combat? Some people's magic is going to be more suited to taking on certain types of opponents then others. Some people are also going to be more experienced in combat even if they are D rank. Some people are also going to better rpers.

Do you know why there isn't a huge difference between D ranks and C ranks or even B ranks? Because this is a roleplay site and we want things to come down to RP skill and how people use that magic in creative ways. Sure I can throw a lightning bolt and that looks flashy, but what if I see you stand in a puddle. I can throw the lightning at that puddle and shock you.

That being said there is very little PVP except in events and the site is not focused on PVP at all. You need to stop thinking of magic as 'oh i need to be equal to them' and instead just create something that is fun.  

Agreeing with all of these on this. Not much else I need to say at all that hasn't been said by these three here already.

Passives Suggestion LxcTBIi
    Character Info:

Current date/time is 19th April 2024, 2:32 am