Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

The end of "effect immunities."

Nao
    Nao

Quality Badge Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Player 
    Lineage : Clone of the First Clone
    Position : None
    Guild : Black Sails
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Mentor : Nao (Primary) Gem of Time (Secondary)
    Experience : 49,325

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Water Dragon Slayer (First Gen)
    Second Magic: Chronokinesis
    Third Magic:

The end of "effect immunities." Empty The end of "effect immunities."

Post by Nao 17th October 2016, 3:20 pm

I wouldn't like to call this a rant, but a concern to draw attention to a trend I noticed a while ago as I was making a lineage. And that is the rise of people adding an ability that passively ignores or removes effects from people without any cost. It concerns me that with lineages or magics that allow this without cost dampens the access to creatively fighting them, leading us to having just straight damage.

Yes, effects should be watched with discretion but at the same time it's just bad rp if you can't deal with someone else's effects in their magic. It's not good for the site to allow people to make a blanket ability in lineages or in magic that allows them to ignore everything someone else can do in their magic besides their damage.

It's just a thought I had, before we turn into a site where everyone is immune to everyone's hard work at making creative and useful spells...

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Profile Magic Bank
    Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Dragon VIP Status- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Dragon Slayer- Rich- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Hic Sunt Dracones
    Faction : The Luminous Covenant
    Guild : Fairy Tail (Ace)
    Mentor : Whedalsin
    Experience : 1,093,688

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Twilight Dragon Magic
    Second Magic: Twilight Dragon Magic
    Third Magic: Twilight Dragon Magic

The end of "effect immunities." Empty Re: The end of "effect immunities."

Post by Akeya 17th October 2016, 5:21 pm

I have to admit that the idea of someone being flat out immune to non-damage effects is not really something I approve of.

Granted, I do acknowledge that sometimes it just makes sense. If your character is a golem or something you aren't going to care for most effects which are aimed to hinder living beings.

Overall though full immunities are tricky things which should be watched with care. For example with Slayers, who in the manga/anime are basically immune to their own element, the immunity has been replaced with a scaling percentage resistance to keep elemental mages from just feeling completely useless.

Also there's the fact that some things are just harder to be immune to than others. For example, it's easy to imagine someone not being slowed down by frost because they're a construct or their magic automatically keeps their body above a certain temperature. In contrast, being immune to something like being ensnared is going to be a bit trickier, since having supernatural constitution or an unusual body structure doesn't exactly do anything about the fact that there's something wrapped around you keeping you in place. Even the aforementioned golem is still going to be ensnared if the material used is strong enough. Granted if you're a ghost or something physical bindings aren't going to hinder you but logically speaking you would also be unable to interact with anything else physically.

This of course is merely an example, but I partially agree with Nao in the sense that I believe that sometimes immunity to certain effects make sense, but overall flat out immunity should not be used unless it really just makes too much sense not to use it. Otherwise you'd be better off with resistances which reduce the effects but don't outright No Sell them.

Of course, I'm not exactly sure how many lineages grant immunity to non-damage effects. I'm mostly throwing in my two cents on that I believe that real immunity should be rare and unusual.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The end of "effect immunities." Akeya2
    Between the Sun and the Moon, where it is neither Day nor Night, the Dragon of Twilight sleeps.

Character|Magic
    Ardere Kasai
    Ardere Kasai

The Fire King

The Fire King

Developer/GFX Artist- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Rising Star- Guild Master- God Slayer- A-Rank- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- X-Mas Event Participant- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Legacy of the Fire King
    Position : The Vanquisher
    Guild : Infinity Hydra (Guildmaster)
    Mentor : Hephaestus
    Experience : 420,643

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Flame God Slayer (3rd Gen)
    Second Magic: -
    Third Magic:

Post by Ardere Kasai 17th October 2016, 5:32 pm

To avoid me ranting, I'm just gonna throw in my support for the above comments lol

The end of "effect immunities." FYZkfE1
    God Force:

Legacy Form:

Almyra Bys
    Almyra Bys

Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Rising Star- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Armored Beast
    Guild : Guildless
    Cosmic Coins : 41
    Mentor : None
    Experience : 1787.5

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Chaos Theory
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Post by Almyra Bys 17th October 2016, 5:35 pm

I feel like it can make sense to have immunities to like one type of non-damm thing or type of bonus damage per lineage ability/UA. Like if someone makes a golem, they're generally immune to any sort of mind effecting things, since they have no mind to effect. Boom, there's one of their magic/lineage UA/abilities, immunity to just that one type of thing. If you want to have a bunch of immunities, that can be your thing, but you won't really get any other neat stuff that most people do, which is your choice, since immunities can be pretty defining characteristics for most characters. The cost of course is that you have a UA that is rather situational since you won't always be encountering that thing you're immune to.

So yeah, your golem character is immune to mind effecting abilities, because golem. But that's a fairly situational thing they're immune to that you've used up a UA on. Mind effecting spells/abilities are pretty rare, so sure, it'll make you good against the mind control/illusion type guy, but do nothing for any other style of mages.

Character|Magic|Bank
    The end of "effect immunities." 3MA5V3N
    Theme
    Button count: 1035
    Other siggies:
    Jiyu Kazehime
    Jiyu Kazehime

Player 
    Experience : 0

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Wind Magic
    Second Magic: Demonic Takeover
    Third Magic:

Post by Jiyu Kazehime 17th October 2016, 5:44 pm

I myself have never seen staff just approve nonsensical effect immunity. It's always has a base in the character's existence, a logical reason behind it and thus I don't approve of getting rid of or limiting them too much myself, you claim having these removes people's hard work, but people work hard on their characters stories, and sometimes those things just come with the story. So I myself can't get behind removing them, because it would negate the hard work and creativity people can/do put into their character's.

I partially agree it need's a certain element to control on it, a give and take or such, but far as I've seen it is controlled and reasonable.

All constricting it will do is make people try and find more clever ways to surpass it in my opinion. It won't really change much.

Just my two cents~

The end of "effect immunities." Miku_chibi_by_kenneos-d4l2s2w

The end of "effect immunities." H6NcPbM The end of "effect immunities." H6NcPbM The end of "effect immunities." H6NcPbM The end of "effect immunities." H6NcPbM

Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Dragon VIP Status- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Dragon Slayer- Rich- Veteran Level 1- Character History!- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Novice [250]- Player 

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 17th October 2016, 5:48 pm

@Almyra, I believe that Nao's concern is mainly that people who use custom lineages sometimes use the fact that custom lineages are the most unrestricted bonuses you can get to grant themselves a whole bunch of immunities, which basically makes it very hard to use effects on them which aren't just 'I deal X damage' without it even requiring them to sacrifice Unique Ability slots.

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe I once saw a custom lineage which both grants immunity to basically every debuff while also passively negating any immunities other people around the owner might have...

Between the Sun and the Moon, where it is neither Day nor Night, the Dragon of Twilight sleeps.

Character|Magic
    Cirven
    Cirven

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Moderator- VIP- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Guild Master- Demon Slayer- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : The Devil Jester
    Experience : 833,050

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Devil's Zeal
    Second Magic: Aphyon Jivven
    Third Magic: Vir'ednith

Post by Cirven 17th October 2016, 5:51 pm

Akeya wrote:I have to admit that the idea of someone being flat out immune to non-damage effects is not really something I approve of.

Granted, I do acknowledge that sometimes it just makes sense. If your character is a golem or something you aren't going to care for most effects which are aimed to hinder living beings.

Overall though full immunities are tricky things which should be watched with care. For example with Slayers, who in the manga/anime are basically immune to their own element, the immunity has been replaced with a scaling percentage resistance to keep elemental mages from just feeling completely useless.

Also there's the fact that some things are just harder to be immune to than others. For example, it's easy to imagine someone not being slowed down by frost because they're a construct or their magic automatically keeps their body above a certain temperature. In contrast, being immune to something like being ensnared is going to be a bit trickier, since having supernatural constitution or an unusual body structure doesn't exactly do anything about the fact that there's something wrapped around you keeping you in place. Even the aforementioned golem is still going to be ensnared if the material used is strong enough. Granted if you're a ghost or something physical bindings aren't going to hinder you but logically speaking you would also be unable to interact with anything else physically.

This of course is merely an example, but I partially agree with Nao in the sense that I believe that sometimes immunity to certain effects make sense, but overall flat out immunity should not be used unless it really just makes too much sense not to use it. Otherwise you'd be better off with resistances which reduce the effects but don't outright No Sell them.

Of course, I'm not exactly sure how many lineages grant immunity to non-damage effects. I'm mostly throwing in my two cents on that I believe that real immunity should be rare and unusual.

Basically said all I would here, Wolfy. Only thing is the slayer immunity part. There have been times in the anime where Natsu has been hurt by fire and yes of course, he comes out on top in the end but he did get hurt by the attacks still. Its weird to think that Natsu is like the only one who has fought his own element really.. lol.

But yeah immunities should be something obvious like the mentioned golem example but I think there should be weaknesses to having those like said above. Its all just a balancing thing which staff does do but sometimes things do get passed because it is overlooked or something. Staff is only human after all. If anything they will see this and be more cautious about it because they will see it is being noticed as a possible issue. So good call Nao.

This reminds me of the 'Elemental Body' craze that happened not too long ago on here where we had to define how they should work so they weren't completely OP because everyone had it so they were unaffected by magic because they became ethereal. #ramblesofanoldmember

The end of "effect immunities." LxcTBIi
    Character Info:
    Almyra Bys
    Almyra Bys

Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Rising Star- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Armored Beast
    Cosmic Coins : 41
    Mentor : None
    Experience : 1787.5

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Chaos Theory
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Post by Almyra Bys 17th October 2016, 5:56 pm

Akeya wrote:@Almyra, I believe that Nao's concern is mainly that people who use custom lineages sometimes use the fact that custom lineages are the most unrestricted bonuses you can get to grant themselves a whole bunch of immunities, which basically makes it very hard to use effects on them which aren't just 'I deal X damage' without it even requiring them to sacrifice Unique Ability slots.

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe I once saw a custom lineage which both grants immunity to basically every debuff while also passively negating any immunities other people around the owner might have...
    Honestly, the things you can get away with in a custom lineage in general are rather ridiculous. I've always been of the opinion that they need more well-defined rules/guidelines for grading them, something more along the lines of magic rules.

Character|Magic|Bank
    The end of "effect immunities." 3MA5V3N
    Theme
    Button count: 1035
    Other siggies:
    Akeya
    Akeya

Twilight Dragon

Twilight Dragon

Character Sheet

Post by Akeya 17th October 2016, 6:05 pm

Well, I do think that allowing people to not have to work within a specific template for their lineage is good since a lineage can help create more unusual but interesting effects.

However there's unusual and interesting effects and there's just using the custom lineage freedom to break the game.

I think an easy way to already make custom lineages more bearable is to not allow them to include raw stat boosts which push the owner into the next Rank or even more (so no buffs which say stuff like 'strength far above that of any human' or just a 100% or higher stat boost) unless that is by far the most important part of the lineage, and be very careful with effects which automatically affect others, unless once again that's the real main purpose.

Well, that and be wary of immunities.

Character|Magic
    Eris
    Eris

Lich of hell

Lich of hell

Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- Regular VIP Status- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Horseman- 11 Sinner- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- God Slayer- Demon Slayer- Dragon Slayer- Legal Guild Ace- H-Rank- S-Rank- Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Senior [500]- Player 
    Lineage : Devil's Conquest
    Guild : Grim Heresy [GM]
    Cosmic Coins : 5

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Sunset Eclipse - The Sandstorm GS
    Second Magic: Titan Eclipse • Devil Pact
    Third Magic:

Post by Eris 17th October 2016, 6:09 pm

It's largely up to the individual to represent themselves.   Mods shouldn't have a monopoly over your own character, deciding what does or does not make sense for your own concepts.  

If there's at least an effort to make it make sense, then sure.  But characters really shouldn't be allowed to be immune to too many things overall,  otherwise things get very anti-fun.  Some immunities? Go ahead,  just be descriptive and provide allowances.  If you're immune to mind control and someone's character is purely focused on mind control,  that focused person should still be able to do something while you'd still be outright immune to a random mind control spell someone happens to have when they're not a focused mage on it.

Even if it is not written into the ability itself,  it could be a global rule that if you focus enough you should have certain perks like that.  But then again if you focus so much on that one aspect you'd probably be well off to have an anti-immunity effect.

If someone says they're immune to something it could also be strictly interpreted and not left open-ended,  if you're say you're immune to this thing over here but then stretch your own interpretations to say you're immune to something else that's pretty abusive.

The biggest problem is lack of detail and loopholes,  ways to overcome or circumvent,  but mostly just be open to adapt to the endless possibilities you can run across and communicate with players you interact with.

vvvvvvvvvv

I'm more concerned with the growing new trend of people saying their abilities disable UA's, Lineages, and item abilities. Not only that but every one of the ones I read don't care what you're using. Technology? Gone. Training? Gone. Natural (Scales/Hide/Venom)? Gone. Generally nothing to do with magic? Gone.

Even if it was purely anti-Magic it'd still be an issue. It seems like just yesterday that everyone was irritated with some people using anti-magic, yet now here we are with anti-literally-anything shutting down key important aspects of a character's core design and sometimes very being or existence (UA's / Lineage).

Overall, there are a lot of very anti-fun things people are getting away with, meanwhile the site is more restrictive and controlling than it use to be. Apps are judged harshly as though the site were PvP focused, when actual problems seem to be overlooked and things that are not problems get shut down.

The end of "effect immunities." NvVyM98

The end of "effect immunities." CkggyrF

Deception | Despair | Domination
    H 1 S 7 A 7+1 B 8+1 C 9 D 11
    d a m n a t i o n
    weretiger5411
    weretiger5411

The Maker's necromancer

The Maker's necromancer

Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Lineage Making Contest Participant- Magic Application Approved!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Novice [250]- Player 
    Experience : 150

Character Sheet
    First Magic: SOTL
    Second Magic: NA
    Third Magic:

Post by weretiger5411 20th October 2016, 2:23 pm

I noticed this for a while myself and put some thought into it. Yes I do believe immunities are these strong aspects of a character that should be regulated and given plenty reason. And to have blanket immunities? Aweful, especially if they are not fair(in the spoiler below I put the conditions of what I think makes a immunity trait fair).
    Spoiler:

And while yes, grading staff are very good in keeping watch in grading apps most of the time(they are human, and all of us are flawed of course), custom lineages do allow for this surprisingly. No I don't think lineages should be graded the same way as other apps are, but for very powerful effects I feel their needs to be a limit on that. Say you have a immunity to all heat based debuffs without a drawback, then I feel that should be it for that whole lineage since that is very strong by it's own. (NOTE: when I refer to immunities, i'm also including abilities that reduce the duration of debuffs to one post as well)

Now I will agree with eris, the ability to take away and negate abilities can be just as unfair as immunities if not balanced. Admittedly I don't know how you would regulate those, my best guess would be follow the guide I wrote for immunities. But I feel those wouldn't be as bad unless their was reason, and I believe if those became more and more common then it would be because of the popularity of unregulated and unfair immunities.

But in all honesty, even if nothing is done about this(for whatever reason), then there is a solution. Ignore the people who have the unfair abilities. I mean to simpily ignore or to not rp with them is a good deterrence to allow more of those abilites to be created. Would you rp with me if my character had the ability to one shot your character, regardless of what your app may say? I would hope not, and I wouldn't either. So just to know who has them and ignoring them can be the solution to this(mind you it may take a long time by itself, but it can work). And if you may say that this won't work because it won't make sense story wise, realize that their is no requirement to acknowledge other's stories save for site wide events.

I would finally like to point out that bias is always a thing that can allow this stuff to happen. No we shouldn't hate the graders for having it sometimes(because we are all capable of being bias), but we should point it out and try to correct it if it needs correcting so badly.

"Those who do not fear power, are too easily destroyed by it."

"Humans are the biggest monsters. How else can you explain a dragon's need to burn down their homes, a demon's need to slaughter them, or a god's attempt at brainwashing them to devote loyalty? It is because we have the greatest chance to destroy them with whatever else gets in our way, and slayers are not the only method how."-Zecarayus Trevelean

Note: Until I get this in his character sheet, his name is changed to nevarran. Same soul though!

info on apps:
    Eris
    Eris

Lich of hell

Lich of hell

Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- Regular VIP Status- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- Horseman- 11 Sinner- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- God Slayer- Demon Slayer- Dragon Slayer- Legal Guild Ace- H-Rank- S-Rank- Richie Rich- Rich- Veteran Level 3- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Senior [500]- Player 
    Lineage : Devil's Conquest
    Guild : Grim Heresy [GM]
    Cosmic Coins : 5

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Sunset Eclipse - The Sandstorm GS
    Second Magic: Titan Eclipse • Devil Pact
    Third Magic:

Post by Eris 20th October 2016, 4:57 pm

I just want to point out a well developed Immunity mechanic:

You are immune to certain effects, automatically succeeding on any resistance check against them. You assign ranks of Immunity to various effects to gain immunity to them (with more extensive effects requiring more ranks). These assignments are permanent. Examples include the following:
    1 rank: aging, disease, poison, one environmental condition (cold, heat, high pressure, radiation, or vacuum), one type of suffocation (breathe normally underwater or in an alien atmosphere, for example), starvation and thirst, need for sleep, or a rare power descriptor (such as your own powers, a close sibling’s powers, etc.).
    2 ranks: critical hits, suffocation effects (no need to breathe at all), or an uncommon power descriptor (such as chemical, gravitic, necromantic, etc.).
    5 ranks: alteration effects, sensory Affliction effects, emotion effects, entrapment (grabbing, snares, or bonds), fatigue effects, interaction skills, or a particular Damage effect, descriptor (such as bullets, cold, electricity, falling, fire, magic, radiation, sonic, etc.)
    10 ranks: a common power descriptor (such as all effects with cold, electricity, fire, radiation, or weather descriptors, for example), life support (includes immunity to disease, poison, all environmental conditions, suffocation, and starvation and thirst).
    20 ranks: a very common power descriptor (bludgeoning or energy, for example).
    30 ranks: All effects resisted by Fortitude, All effects resisted by Will.
    80 ranks: All effects resisted by Toughness (the equivalent of 40 ranks of Impervious Toughness).

You'll notice an important feature: Not all "Immunity" is equal. There's a big difference between being immune to aging or catching a disease than being immune to Damage (Toughness).

Likewise I don't want to see staff here get super uptight about abilities because the word Immune / Immunity gets thrown around. Big difference between a character that doesn't age or one that can't have their mind manipulated, and a character that's literally immune to all physical force.

weretiger5411 wrote:
    Now I will agree with eris, the ability to take away and negate abilities can be just as unfair as immunities if not balanced. Admittedly I don't know how you would regulate those, my best guess would be follow the guide I wrote for immunities. But I feel those wouldn't be as bad unless their was reason, and I believe if those became more and more common then it would be because of the popularity of unregulated and unfair immunities.

But in all honesty, even if nothing is done about this(for whatever reason), then there is a solution. Ignore the people who have the unfair abilities. I mean to simpily ignore or to not rp with them is a good deterrence to allow more of those abilites to be created. Would you rp with me if my character had the ability to one shot your character, regardless of what your app may say? I would hope not, and I wouldn't either. So just to know who has them and ignoring them can be the solution to this(mind you it may take a long time by itself, but it can work). And if you may say that this won't work because it won't make sense story wise, realize that their is no requirement to acknowledge other's stories save for site wide events.

I would finally like to point out that bias is always a thing that can allow this stuff to happen. No we shouldn't hate the graders for having it sometimes(because we are all capable of being bias), but we should point it out and try to correct it if it needs correcting so badly.

Immunity often makes sense for a character and is a personal trait. An opponent having immunity to something doesn't effect your ability to act, but makes something you have to work around or just avoid using that aspect all together. If it's a a major part of your character, like mental effects, you should have an ability allowing you to penetrate immunity and resistances towards that effect and poof, no problem.

But it's a trend lately that people make things that directly screw with your ability to act/call upon your character's basic abilities and mess with their themes, imagine if Julia with her water body suddenly wasn't water anymore somehow, or Monkey D wasn't rubber anymore, or a fire elemental was no longer flaming, such abilities as those are particularly anti-fun, but just as importantly are Anti-RP. I will always favor things that support how the roleplay, the story, the IC works out.

The "Just ignore them" shtick would be fine in theory, if it were actually applied fairly. But it's often an excuse for some people or some things that tends not to benefit others, and grading apps is way too strict regardless, which just serves to make some people get away with strong abilities while others do not. Should everyone be graded harshly? HELL NO. Staff need to ease the devils down and be more relaxed in general. This situation with immunities and anti-everything abilities just highlights the part that it makes some people overly weak while plenty of people still find their strength. Especially if bias, conscious or otherwise, comes into play. We really need a more relaxed atmosphere in general.

The end of "effect immunities." NvVyM98

The end of "effect immunities." CkggyrF

Deception | Despair | Domination
    H 1 S 7 A 7+1 B 8+1 C 9 D 11
    d a m n a t i o n

Current date/time is 28th March 2024, 2:06 pm