Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

What's the point of Cool-Downs?

Anastasia Isayev
    Anastasia Isayev

Moderator- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Guild Master- S-Rank- A-Rank- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 
    Lineage : Valkyrian
    Position : None
    Guild : Black Sails GM
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Mentor : [Primary] Ivan Isayev [Secondary] Fafnir, the World Dragon
    Experience : 321116

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Mechanized REquip
    Second Magic: Dragons' Champion
    Third Magic:

What's the point of Cool-Downs? Empty What's the point of Cool-Downs?

Post by Anastasia Isayev 11th May 2016, 2:41 pm

The current Cooldown rules are:
    D rank: max duration of 3 min cooldown of 2
    C rank: max Duration of 5 min cooldown of 3
    B rank: max Duration of 6 min cooldown of 4
    A rank: max Duration of 7 min cooldown of 5
    S rank: max Duration of 10 min cooldown of 8
    H rank: max Duration of 20 min cooldown of 10

Well, I don't particularly see a reason for a cool-down on spells, to be honest. The fact that spells cost MP in the first place makes cool-downs unnecessary in my honest opinion. An argument can be made that "People will just abuse their spells and cast them whenever they want" and to that I can respond with "So?" A person may have different fighting styles than everyone else, making cooldowns an unnecessarily limiting factor in how someone can fight.

Someone can fight while conserving their MP while someone else can fight by spending most of their MP at the beginning of the fight. If someone wants to spend a ton of their MP during the fight, then they should be allowed to by allowing them to cast spells without much limit.

However, I'm not saying someone should throw out 3 of their H Rank spells in the same post, that's not what I'm advocating. However, allowing someone to use an instant duration spell once per post would be just fine as there is an MP restriction attached to the spell as well. This would hardly be 'game breaking' in the sense that someone would need to keep a close eye on their MP. You don't see these kind of restrictions in shounen anime (nor would you really see this restriction on too many RP sites in general).

However, for spells with a duration, you wouldn't be able to cast that spell again until after the duration is completed.

TL;DR
    - Allow people to cast instant spells once per post as it costs MP anyway (And any shmuck could just dodge one of those instant spells and make a person wait for X posts before they can use it again)
    - Duration spells can be cast w/o cool-down, but cannot be cast again until after it's duration is over.

I mean, if someone could tell me a good reason why cool-downs should exist, I will bend and agree. But from what I'm seeing now, I don't really see a very good reason for cool-downs to even exist in the first place. If anything, cool-downs ought to be something that people can use as a weakness to a spell to help them out and let a spell be stronger instead of something that should be seen as a mandatory part of the system.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

[Character Approval] [Mechanized REquip Spells] [Dragons' Champion] [The Eye of Odin] [Bank]
    Wave your banner!  
    Join the Black Sails today!
    The Guild is Set to OPEN!  -- This means, feel free to join!
    Rosetta Crawford
    Rosetta Crawford

Administrator- Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- Demon Slayer- Legal Guild Ace- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- X-Mas Event Participant- Hero- Villain- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 
    Lineage : Embodiment of the 13th
    Guild : Blue Pegasus
    Mentor : Sky Emperor Shangdi
    Experience : 367,824.5

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Ten No Kichi
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

What's the point of Cool-Downs? Empty Re: What's the point of Cool-Downs?

Post by Rosetta Crawford 12th May 2016, 12:53 am

I can totally agree with this tbh. I'm not a big fan of cooldowns. Except perhaps on weapon/armor spell as a weapon/armor can probably only do so much without overheating or something.

I would say we remove cooldowns as mandatory and make them an extra thing someone can add for balance. So say I want a really powerful spell I could put a cooldown on it as a limiting factor.

I also think we should allow other factors to come into play e.g. extra MP expended on a spell to do more damage

_____________________________________________________________________________________

What's the point of Cool-Downs? Zack2_by_gramcrackers-d8ker96

What's the point of Cool-Downs? Zack_by_ravenart5-d8j23c0

What's the point of Cool-Downs? Zackrose_zpse9a22d85
    Current missions(4/6):  get the squid A, King of Fighters(S), Village Protection(A), Repair the House(D)
    Anastasia Isayev
    Anastasia Isayev

Moderator- Knight VIP Status- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Guild Master- S-Rank- A-Rank- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Get A Pet!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- Player 

Character Sheet
    Third Magic:

Post by Anastasia Isayev 12th May 2016, 1:00 am

Yup, I agree with what you stated.

However, I had a thought. 1 Type of spell should always have a cool-down (even if it's a signature spell). Defensive spells ought to have a cool-down in my opinion and really ought not to be in signature spells. I thought of doing that as one of my signature spells. But I figured that's a tad bit overpowered.

[Character Approval] [Mechanized REquip Spells] [Dragons' Champion] [The Eye of Odin] [Bank]
    Wave your banner!  
    Rosetta Crawford
    Rosetta Crawford

Administrator- Moderator- Developer/GFX Artist- Regular VIP Status- VIP- Gain An Artifact- Quality Badge Level 1- Quality Badge Level 2- Quality Badge Level 3- God Of Ishgar- Ten Wizard Saint Member- Guild Master- Demon Slayer- Legal Guild Ace- H-Rank- S-Rank- A-Rank- Veteran Level 2- Veteran Level 1- Magic Application Approved!- Obtain A Secondary Magic!- Character Application Approved!- Complete Your First Job!- Obtain A Lineage!- Join A Faction!- Grand Master [2000]- Master [1000]- Senior [500]- Novice [250]- X-Mas Event Participant- Hero- Villain- 1 Year Anniversary- Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Post by Rosetta Crawford 12th May 2016, 1:02 am

I'd say it depends how you build it. If its just like I can quickly flick up a thin layer of energy to reduce damage from an attack that would be fine as no cooldown.

I'd say its situational in most cases

Current missions(4/6):  get the squid A, King of Fighters(S), Village Protection(A), Repair the House(D)
    Anastasia Isayev
    Anastasia Isayev

Character Sheet
    Third Magic:

Post by Anastasia Isayev 12th May 2016, 1:03 am

Well, I guess you're right. They would, in fact, just be using up their MP by spamming those shields anyway. So yeah, you're right, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Wave your banner!  
    Rosetta Crawford
    Rosetta Crawford

Character Sheet
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Post by Rosetta Crawford 12th May 2016, 1:07 am

Defensive spells as signatures are trickier, but I think still balanceable without forcing on cooldowns. Perhaps duration based defensive spells could have a cooldown...

Current date/time is 28th March 2024, 1:28 pm