Fairy Tail RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

• Patch Notes •                 • New User Guide •                • Guild Information •

House Repair! (Job,Solo)

Speculo
    Speculo

Player 
    Lineage : Brute of Fiore
    Position : None
    Cosmic Coins : 0
    Dungeon Tokens : 0
    Experience : 250

Character Sheet
    First Magic: Mirror
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Completed House Repair! (Job,Solo)

Post by Speculo 13th August 2015, 12:42 pm

Speculo

What to do now... Was all that Speculo could think about as he walked the streets of Magnolia Town. It had been a few hours since delivering the rest of the puppies to the man who owned them. It was getting around noon, and he was getting a little hungry.. Lunch time.

Sitting down next to some random building, he opened his bag and brought out an apple. He took a large bite and munched on it quietly while enjoying the sun on his face. A door that belonged to the building opened up and two women stepped out, chatting. Spec couldn't help but over hear:
    "Is your house ready for the next storm?"
    "Yeah, I made sure it was. People say this one is going to be big. Anybody who aren't prepared when it gets here are gonna have a bad time."

The rest didn't matter to Speculo. His thoughts went to the old man, Joshua, and his house. It was in bad shape, and if this storm was going to be bad, then he was in a terrible spot. He was too old and frail to do the construction on his own. Standing up, he ran infront of the ladies and abruptly asked, "Hey, you were talking about the storm. How long until it gets here?"
    "Oh, um, hi. and, about two days away? maybe?"
    I don't have long. That house will take a lot of work to rebuild..
    Without a word, Spec grabbed his bag and took off.
    "Well, that was a bit rude."

It took him a bit of searching, a few wrong turns, but he finally found the old guy's house. He began to circle the house, looking for all the damages that had occurred. The roof needed to be redone, the gutters were barely hanging on. The porch railing needed to be replace as a large tree limb had fallen and destroyed it. The porch itself was old, but it was holding it's own. That could be replaced last. Speculo made a mental list: Shingles, nails, gutter... thingies..whatever they have at the store, various wood sizes for the railing, and then... what was it called? Something to treat the wood... maybe the person at the store could help him with that too. That way no water could get in and rot the new wood. He also made mental notes of what everything looked like so he could get matching supplies. Oh! I also need tools. He added as an afterthought.

a few hours later, the sun was starting to go down and it was starting to cool off. Speculo had taken off his coat and tied his shirt around his head as a sweat band. His first order of business was to clear that fallen branch. It was stuck more than he had thought, and the broken pieces of railing kept getting in his way. No matter what he tried, he just couldn't get it out. By now all the noise brought the old man Joshua to the door.

"Hey, what do you think you're doing?"
    "Well, you're house is in disrepair, and the storm will be here either tomorrow, or the day after."
    "I know that. I meant why are you buying all of that stuff with your own money? I have enough for retirement, I could have paid for all of it. I'll go make some cold drinks, you just keep on huffin'." The old man went back inside, and Spec went back to work. That went better than he'd expected.

Eventually he had to just take the hammer that he had bought and break the rest of the railing away to make room for the branch. Next he grabbed a saw and began sawing off the small branches and bits off of it to make it just on big stick. Heaving, he stood it back up on end and then toppled it over, away from the house. That was one thing done. Taking a sip from the lemonade Joshua gave him, Speculo watched the sun set. He had never done house construction, but this was something that needed to be done.

HP: 100%
    MP: 100%
    Link: "Character Magic"

Last edited by Speculo on 13th August 2015, 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Speculo
    Speculo

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Completed Re: House Repair! (Job,Solo)

Post by Speculo 13th August 2015, 1:22 pm

Speculo

Speculo worked late into the night. He replaced the railing after several wrong cuts and failed measurements. Eventually he got it right. Treating it would come later, he had to get to that roof. Grabbing the ladder that Joshua had in his shack, Speculo climbed up there with the tools and the new shingles. Just about every single one was badly damaged. He would have to clear them all away first. No, that would be worse if the rain came before he finished. Better to replace them one by one. Spec reasoned.

And that's what he set out to do. By now the night was getting chilly, but the man stayed out on the porch. "I wouldn't be able to sleep with you pounding nails anyway. I'll give you company." The old man kept telling stories as Spec worked. If he was honest, he was hardly listening. But it gave the man something to do. It took a few tries to replace a shingle the right way, but he got a rhythm going soon enough. It was around midnight by the time he was done with one side of the roof, and the old man fell asleep in his chair. Spec was pounding away then realized it was a little more quiet than usual. He checked on the man, and he was out like a light. Spec got back to work.

Joshua slowly arose from his sleep, the sun rising made light reach his eyes that disturbed the elders sleep. He yawned and slowly stretched while sitting. A gutter fell from the roof right infront of him, making loud metallic noises and scaring the bajeesus out of him. An upside down head came from uptop the roof, looking at him. "Morning Joshua. Sorry if that woke you. I just tapped it and it came crashing down." And then it was goen, retreated back to the top of the roof. Joshua blinked and rubbed his eyes. "Have.. have you been working all night?" He asked in disbelief. "Yes I have. We have to beat that storm!"

At this point the shingles had all been replace, a large pile of the old broken ones on the ground outside. Speculo took another gutter, careful not to let it fall, and re-secured it. The other nails that held it in were rusty and the holes they once occupied were too big for another nail to work there. He had to find other places for the new nails, although it wasn't hard. Two more gutters fell in the process, but Speculo made sure to secure all of the ones he could before bring back up the fallen water catchers. He had made an error with re-securing one of the gutters, and had to take it off and re-place it. one corner of a fallen gutter was bent on where it hit the ground, and it needed some encouragement from a hammer to get back in place.

Finally, the gutters were done.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

House Repair! (Job,Solo) Fighting-giffy
    I Make My Own Luck
    Speculo
    Speculo

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Post by Speculo 13th August 2015, 1:41 pm

Speculo

Spec had re-secured all the gutters, and tested them out by bringing pails of water and dumping them onto the roof. This also helped to make sure there weren't any leaks in the roof. Joshua reported no leaks, and the gutters worked like a charm. While he was inside, Josh made breakfast which Spec gobbled down and went into town to get an update on the storm. Tomorrow morning. While there, he also picked up cans of wood treatment paint.

He treated the railing under guidance from Josh, not knowing how much or how little to put on. After that, he looked down at the boards that made up the porch. He said he would do them last, and he had already bought the wood for them. Time to get to work. Picking up a crowbar, he started ripping them up one by one. It took the rest of the day to do that, measure the lengths, measure the lengths again as Josh said, "Measure twice, cut once.". After Spec made sure to get the right cut, then he started to nail them all down on the cross boards underneath that held the porch up.

Even with Joshua's help, there were still some wrong cute that Spec had to make up for by using more boards and patching it up, or scraping the whole board and using it somewhere else. Using the cans of water treatment paint he bought, he applied them to the boards ontop (and since he forgot to do it before nailing them down,) and on bottom, crawling underneath the house to brave the cobwebs and dust.

As night came down, the job was finished, and Spec was worn out. He had been awake for two straight days, hauling and heaving and nailing and painting. He didn't object when Joshua let Spec sleep on the couch for the night.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I Make My Own Luck
    Speculo
    Speculo

Player 

Character Sheet
    Second Magic:
    Third Magic:

Post by Speculo 13th August 2015, 1:53 pm

Speculo

He awoke with the sound of thunder booming over head. He sat upright and looked around, confused. Right, the storm! It was dark outside, and he could hear the rain pounding on the roof over head. Praying that everything was holding, he went over to the window. It looked like chaos outside. Rain was going almost sideways,and the trees and grass and bushes looked to have seizures. But the house looked to be faring well. Spec inspected the house. No leaks. He looked out the window to where the gutter came down to a water barrel, and saw that it was pouring out, the barrel was almost full already.

The day went by, a few trees fell down outside, and the storm passed. Joshua thanked Speculo greatly for his help, and asked for the receipts for all the equipment he had bought. 3000 Jewels. Joshua then went to the bank, and when he came back, arrived with 4700 jewels. 3000 to make up for what Spec had bought, and then 1700 more.
    "Why is there more money than I paid for in here?"
    "Call it a reward for doing the work. 1500 in reward, and 200 for a bath. You stink!" They both laughed at that, even though it was true. Spec smelled horrid after two days of sweating.

Spec went to the local bathhouse, got a bath for the full 200 jewels, and was cleaner than ever. He felt so refreshed, and the air smelled so clean after all that rain. The rivers that ran through town were full, splashing onto the road every now and then. Spec remembered seeing a sign for a library on his way to the bathhouse, and decided to check it out. It HAD been a long time since he read a good book.

I Make My Own Luck

Current date/time is 28th March 2024, 7:58 am